EDIT: MSR Dragonfly Stove - Roger Ault Hi Roger Welcome to BGT. I have some sm

  • rcaffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2009
      EDIT: MSR Dragonfly Stove - Roger Ault

      Hi Roger

      Welcome to BGT. I have some small edits for you to fix, and these are
      listed below. Please do not be offended by the terse manner used in
      spelling out the edits: that's just how I find it easiest to list them.

      Reposting
      When you have fixed these matters please REPOST the plain text of your
      OR here on this channel.
      At the same time would you please put the new HTML version in the
      Tests / Owner Reviews folder on BGT. In the future please include the
      URL for the HTML file in the Test folder with your first posting and
      all subsequent ones to make my life easier. It is now a requirement
      that we check the HTML version for various things like a clickable
      manufacturer's URL and some details of the layout before giving
      approval, and it is also a requirement that you provide the URL to
      help us Editors find your file. We are often editing several ORs at a
      time and are easily confused ...

      All Test Reports require photos of the gear. While we do not insist on
      the inclusion of photos in your first Owner Review, we do strongly
      encourage you to do so. Your second Owner Review will require the
      inclusion of photos anyhow. As I am sure you will know, pictures
      convey so much more information when used in conjunction with the
      text. If you have trouble with the pictures, and especially with the
      'ALT' tags, let me know. The problem is well-known and easily fixed.

      Edit Conventions
      Many Editors use the following convention in listing their edits and
      comments:
      EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards,
      Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way,
      Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change
      as a result.
      However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am
      criticising is actually a matter of personal writing style, feel free
      to say so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably
      clear what you mean.

      Mentors
      If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have an excellent
      Mentor program. It was established to help all newcomers through the
      somewhat confusing process of becoming gear testers, and to make sure
      they understand the 'rules'. Mentoring is also available for veteran
      testers who'd like to get some feedback on their test applications or
      test reports. Whatever stage you're at the Mentors are here to help.
      If you'd like a Mentor, please contact the Mentor Coordinator
      (mentor@...) and please include "Mentor Request" in
      your subject line.

      Rules and Regulations
      In addition, you must take some time out to read through our
      Documentation pages to understand just what we are about, and what
      rules there are for our operations. You be required to state that you
      have read these and will comply with them when you apply for a Test.
      These pages are found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php. This is at least the
      second generation of our rules: they have evolved over time, but we
      try to keep them as simple and as plain as possible. If you find any
      problems with them, let us know.

      HTML Creation and Problems
      In some cases when editing the plain text of a review I find problems
      with the layout of the text version. This can happen when an HTML file
      is badly converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem,
      you could consider trying one of the free HTML/text editors such as
      Note Tab Lite: this one has a good conversion tool built in for
      stripping out the html tags to create plain text. Some people who know
      nothing about HTML like the very point-and-click oriented NVU,
      although I don't. It mangles the underlying layout of text and HTML
      tags. Both can be found through Google.

      In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the
      problems may be that you used MS Word to generate the HTML file. We
      have had extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been
      responsible for most of the really bad layout problems I have ever
      seen. In particular it causes untold grief over the inclusion of
      pictures. Also, if you feed a cleaned-up HTML file through Word to fix
      just one small error, Word will usually completely rewrite the HTML
      into a ghastly mess. We strongly discourage you from using MS Word to
      create the HTML! However, if Word is all you have, please save the
      file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web page' or XML. The
      filtering does help improve Word's efforts slightly. But our Report
      Writer is a better option.

      BGT Report Writer
      This is meant to make the process of creating BGT reports and test
      series as friendly as possible. The Report Writer enables the writer
      to create a report without knowing anything about HTML, or having to
      wrestle with workarounds in Word. It will assist you with the
      inclusion of photos as well. Even for those who are fully
      HTML-literate it can be handy. See
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1 for
      further information. It is highly recommended.

      Uploading to BGT
      When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please
      ensure you select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If you require
      assistance with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group,
      BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com. You can access this also via
      upload failure involves a comment about missing <alt> tags, and this
      is usually due to the use of MS Word.

      Tester Agreement
      Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester
      Agreement. Basically, this is an undertaking to play by the rules and
      complete any Test series, or to return the gear if you can't.
      Sometimes things happen, and if you let us know UP FRONT we will
      understand. We do put family needs first. The single most important
      thing here is to COMMUNICATE!
      The agreement can be found at:

      The signed agreement should be forwarded to
      C Carnes
      18 E Earle Street
      Greenville, SC 29609
      USA

      If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester
      Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to
      participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further
      details on this may be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      Applying for Tests
      You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are
      announced: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/ This is
      where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
      -------------------------------
      > I have been camping for several years.I Had limited chances as a
      EDIT: years. I had ...

      > for shelter.I generally hike in the woods and rolling hills of
      EDIT: space after period

      > Listed Weight: 14 oz (395 g) stove with pump
      EDIT: You must provide your measured weights as well - for each
      component as well as the 'minimum field kit'. This is a fundamental
      requirement at BGT.

      EDIT: you should also privide your measured dimensions - same comment.

      EDIT: you have not specified what fuel or fuels this stove uses. This
      is obviously a fundamental requirement.

      EDIT: you don't have a Product Description of the stove - in your
      words. Yes, the picture is very good, but we do want you to give a
      text description as well.

      EDIT: you have the paragraphs very close together. This makes reading
      the text hard. Separate the paragraphs either with format control or a
      second cariage return.

      > stuff sack as well as the stove itself. altogether
      EDIT: Altogether ...

      > 17.5 oz (496 g) It is possible to shave a couple
      EDIT: period after (496 g)

      > windscreen home but I would not recommend leaving anything
      Edit: be fairly cautious making any recommendations: you do not need.
      it is usually preferred if you can write something like
      "but I would prefer to not leave anything else out"

      > temps from 0 F to 95 F (-17.77 C - 35 C).
      Edit: I know the Units Convertor gives you two decimal places, but
      17.77 C is ridiculous. Can you change that to 18 C?

      > I carry a 22 oz (651 ml) fuel bottle which is made of
      Edit: similar problem here. Always try to round off appropriately. 650
      mL is fine.

      > The area here in Indiana, USA is generally
      > 500 - 1000 ft (152 - 305 m) I spend a great deal of my time
      EDIT: period after 305 m)

      > it could probably be lost easily. (Maybe I should paint it a bright
      color?)
      Comment: just tie a bright ribbon to it.

      > The first time or two using it was a little tricky to get the
      > correct amount of fuel to operate the primer correctly and to
      > turn the fuel valve at the right time.
      Comment: comprehensible, but the granmmar is a bit rough. We also
      teach English Composition ...

      > very well. At temperatures near 0F (-18C) getting going can take
      Edit: start new paragraph here: you are dealing with a new topic of
      cold weather.

      > doesn't generate a flame I back off after adding just a little
      > fuel in primer cup from the valve opening and allow it to
      > generate more heat.
      EDIT: I know what you are saying, but I have used countless stoves. A
      novice may have trouble understanding what you are trying to say. Clarify.

      > I have also put my stainless steel coffee cup on the "cup" of
      > this stove and lightly simmered to warm coffee in cold weather.
      EDIT: I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. A novice
      cerrtainly won't. Clarify.

      > I have only 2 packs at this time one is 80 L (4882 cu in) which I
      > can carry a great deal of gear and tend to take more than needed.
      EDIT: first of the grammar here is very hard to understand. It would
      need to be clarified. But this paragraph actually has nothing to do
      with your evaulation of the stove, so instead it should be omitted
      completely.

      > If I do any work in the field it has to be done on a towel
      > or something where any dropped parts can be easily seen.
      Comment: Indeed!

      > Summary
      EDIT: a fair bit of this should be in the Product description at the
      start.

      > not ultra compact or ultralight but is packable inside of a pot and
      EDIT: delete 'of': it is a horrible crime.

      > Manufacturer states multiple fuels can be used although I have only
      EDIT: The manufacturer states ...

      > It is a primer cup stove in which raw fuel is burned in a cup
      > and slowly converts to usable flame.
      EDIT: this is completely wrong. It is a 'vortex burner', and the fuel
      comes out of the jet as a vapour.

      > Fuel valve can be cleaned by shaking.
      EDIT: The control valve can be ...

      > I would recommend this stove to anyone who wants a dependable
      Edit: we would prefer yopu just state your preferences and do not
      'project' onto what another person might want or need. This is another
      one of our rigid rules: talk only about YOUR experinces.

      > I often do not use the windscreen to minimize wear since it is just
      EDIT: bad grammar: fix.