Owner REVIEW- Dakine Pro 2 backpack (needs reformatting?)

  • keithmitch81
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2009
      Terribly sorry about the poor format... hopefully this won't happen again.

      DAKINE PRO 2

      Name: Keith Mitchell
      Age: 27
      Gender: male
      Height: 6'0" (182.88 cm.)
      Weight: 175 lbs. (79.38 kg)
      EMail address: Rkeith@...
      Bend, Oregon U.S.A
      Date: 2-4-2009

      Backpacking Background: I grew up hiking and camping in the Green Mountains of
      northern Vermont, where every conceivable form of inclement weather is tolerated. Now I
      live in central Oregon and hike the Cascade mountains and high desert where the weather
      is pretty nice and the nights are cool and bug free! I'd like to consider myself a lightweight
      backpacker...but refuse to compromise my comfort for a few pounds...yet. I use a tarp/
      bivy sack when backpacking solo and a Jumbo dome tent when car camping with my wife
      and dog. I am prone to fits of wanderlust that have taken me across this country... and
      hopefully others.

      Manufacturer: Dakine
      Year of manufacture: 2008
      Listed weight: 3 lbs (1.36kg)
      Shipped weight:3.5 lbs (1.59kg)
      Size:21"x12"x7"(53cmx30cmx18cm)
      MSRP: $100

      Material: 630D Nylon
      Volume:1600 cu. in. (26L)
      comes in different colors every year(mine is black)

      Supplied as a loose bag with a tag from the manufacturer with all the straps drawn tight
      and all buckles buckled.

      Features:
      PVC FREE
      Cross and vertical snowboard carry
      Retractable diagonal ski carry straps
      Fleece lined goggle pocket
      Insulated hydration tube sleeve
      Hydration bladder sleeve
      Two organizer pockets in main compartment
      "Quick draw" ice axe/shovel handle sleeve
      Back access entry
      External snow tool/ shovel pocket with H2O drain
      Waterproof fleece lined camera pocket on hip belt
      Easy access side pocket
      Nice wide hip belt and shoulder straps...sternum strap too
      There is a sheet of some kind of semi rigid plastic that serves as the packs "frame"

      Here are some pictures

      First and foremost this pack is for hiking peaks and skiing down them, however, I use this
      bag for day-hikes, biking and errand running too. What can I say? This pack has style.

      This is a bomber design which explains the weight at 3.5 pounds. Prior experience with
      Dakine products led me to this purchase.

      Lets start with features:
      Both horizontal(cross) and vertical snowboard carry setups work flawlessly with a variety
      of snowboards and snowshoes fit well in the vertical carry. The diagonal ski carry works
      well for trekking poles(I've never used it for skis but the strap and cable open up quite
      large for giant powder skis)and both straps retract out of sight when not in use. The
      google pocket is large enough to accommodate large ski goggles and other things as well.
      The ingenious hydro sleeve is a hollow section in one of the shoulder straps the insulates
      your hydration tube and unzips to expose it for drinking. This hasn't frozen even when it
      was painfully cold out which is awesome because no other pack i've seen has this so you
      usually have to take off your pack to drink... which isn't so easy with a snowboard
      strapped to it. Which brings me to the zippered rear entry panel. The whole cavernous
      main compartment (touching your back)opens with a beefy U shaped zipper (think athletic
      bag) allowing you to leave the snowboard strapped on while you find your hat. The ice
      axe/ shovel handle sleeve opens with a simple buckle to give access quickly should you
      need said ice axe. The front snow tool compartment (which is quite large) has some sewn
      in sleeves to keep avalanche probes and shovel handles in check as well as plenty of space
      for a shovel blade, and when you put that snowy wet shovel back into the bag, there's a
      little vent in the bottom of that compartment to help the wetness escape. There's also
      another side pocket (accessible without taking the pack off) that will hold a 32 oz.
      Nalgene bottle or your gloves when you are sweating your way up the mountain. And
      possibly the coolest feature is the fleece lined waterproof camera pocket on the hip belt so
      you can snap a picture without breaking stride.The level of organization possible in this
      bag helps me to have a fun and safe time without too much time wasted looking for a
      granola bar or a bandanna.

      I've worn this pack probably more than 20 days hiking and snowboarding during this
      winter, which has exposed me to below zero temperatures, snow, 70 degree days and
      everything in between. I've also worn it a dozen times to the library and around town(it's
      great full of heavy books). While it's not waterproof, it hasn't let the wet in yet (I haven't
      worn it in a downpour yet as it almost never rains in central Oregon). Also, this is a winter
      pack, so keeping snow out is it's main job. Everything seems to work fine in the cold and
      high elevation(9,000 ft./2,700+ meters) as well as warm days at 3,500+ feet.

      While a 26 liter pack isn't particularly large I find it strikes a nice balance between a
      mountaineers pack and a simple hydration pack. I have no trouble stuffing my helmet,
      goggles, extra layer, food, water, avalanche safety stuff, and camera into this thing.
      Strapping a board on and post-holeing my way up the snowy mountain, then taking out
      helmet etc, cinching the straps down and having a comfortable, stable backpack for the
      ride down.

      The durability of this thing is amazing too...no real wear to be seen on any of it! Just dirt.

      and trust; you value organization and nice shoulder and waist straps over ounces of pack
      weight, this is your bag.

      PROs:
      Carry everything you need for a day on the snowy mountain and beyond
      lifetime warranty
      waterproof fleece lined camera pocket keeps small cameras snug and dry
      stable fit on your back(this thing hugs like a koala bear)

      I am normally very critical of my gear, but this was hard
      CONS:
      Main bag not waterproof
      exterior ice axe/shovel handle sleeve a bit tight for my shovel handle
      $100 price tag
      I think I like this pack too much
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2009

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager