OR - Teko socks - Ray

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2009
      Hello all,

      One last one for the month. HTML may be found here;
      http://tinyurl.com/dab576

      Thanks,

      Ray

      Teko EcoMerino Wool Midweight Hiking Socks
      By Raymond Estrella

      OWNER REVIEW
      February 06, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrellaAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Orange County, California, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in
      many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my wife Jenn or brother-in-law Dave.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Teko LLC
      Web site: www.tekosocks.com
      Product: EcoMerino Wool Midweight Hiking Socks
      Year manufactured: 2007
      MSRP: US $18.95
      Size reviewed: Large (Men's 9-12 Women's 10-12 US)
      Other sizes available: Medium and Extra Large
      Color reviewed: Olive and Rust (Also available in Storm and Charcoal)
      Weight listed: N/A
      Weight per pair (measured): 2.8 oz (79 g)

      Product Description

      The Teko EcoMerino Wool Midweight Hiking Socks (hereafter called
      Midweights or the socks) are medium weight socks suggested for uses
      like backpacking, hiking, ice climbing, mountaineering and
      snowshoeing. As I do all but the ice climbing I figured they were made
      for me.

      These 64% EcoMerino Wool, 17% Ecopoly Recycled Polyester, 16% nylon,
      and 3% Lycra socks boast a bevy of construction features. The hang tag
      that they come with tells of these features along with a lot of
      information about the company and their manufacturing philosophy.
      While I am not supposed to review these practices I can say that their
      stance sits well with me.

      The socks have a 3.5 in (9 cm) body (leg) topped by a 1.75 in (4.5 cm)
      high seamless cuff. The cuff has fine vertical ribs and is interwoven
      with Lycra for support and decreased bunching. At the back of the cuff
      is the Teko logo. The body has wider ribbing.

      It has what they call a Y-heel, which along with the toe area is
      reinforced to add durability. An even denser, more reinforced area is
      the all grey sections seen above. It employs a Lin Toe flat toe seam
      for smooth fit and comfort.

      A triangular area sits to either side. These areas have vents running
      lengthwise to add breathability. Above them is a Lycra ribbed area for
      comfort and support. The material is woven with terry loops on the
      body, along the entire bottom of the socks and around the heel and toe
      to provide comfort.

      When turned inside-out the Teko name can be seen along with the size
      designation of the sock. Either it means that I have a size Large or
      it means I got two left socksÂ… Here is a diagram courtesy of Teko with
      a showing the locations of all the features.

      A: Anti-welt double cuff for comfort and fit
      B: Interwoven Lycra for support and decreased bunching
      C: Lycra holding rib for superior comfort and support
      D: Reinforced toe and Y-heel for durability
      E: Air vents for breathability
      F: Lycra holding rib for superior comfort and support
      G: Medium terry cushion from heel to toe
      H: Lin Toe flat toe seam for smooth fit and comfort

      The care instructions are as follows: Machine wash warm inside-out,
      tumble dry low, no iron, no bleach.

      Field Data

      Here are some of the trips I have worn the EcoMerino Wool Midweight
      socks on.

      I wore them the first day of an overnighter to Mt San Jacinto State
      Park where Jenn and I camped at Lower Chinquapin at 9000'. The low was
      38 F and the high was 54 F (3 to 12 C) but felt warmer because of the
      bright sun. There was still a lot of snow with the trails being about
      50% covered. I only put 6 miles (10 km) on the socks here as I was
      trying out new boots that I was testing. Starting pack weight 26 lb
      (11.8 kg).

      Three days later I wore them for the first day of this hellish trip.
      This from my hiking log: Dave and I went to Fish Creek trailhead and
      took the Pacific Crest Trail to the top of a ridge north of the
      Whitewater River and back. It was a grueling 30 mile (58 km) trip.
      6000 ft (1829 m) of downhill in new boots with a too-roomy toe-box
      made for some bad blisters. We found a pretty nice camp site on
      Mission Creek, the low only got down to 57 F (14 C). It was pretty
      hot, 86 F (30 C) and the climb back with 10 miles (16 km) of almost
      uninterrupted climbing was torture. We crossed creeks and springs 78
      times in two days with trails consisting of dirt, sand, scree and
      exposed granite. Starting pack weight 28 lb (12.7 kg).

      I wore them for the second half of a 41-mile (67 km) extreme day-hike
      on the Pacific Crest Trail through the north-east end of the San
      Bernardino National Forest and into the Angeles National Forest. This
      hike had 8600 ft (2621 m) of elevation gain on terrain that ran the
      gamut of sand, packed dirt, shale, loose rock and even some snow.
      Temps ran from a chilly 45 F to almost 80 F (7 to 27 C) in weather
      that went from wet mist (in clouds) to bright hot sunshine.

      The first day of a tough 2-day 11 mi (18 km) trip to the top of Mt San
      Jacinto by way of the Marion Mountain Trail. I spent the night in
      Little Round Valley. This rough hike gains over 4400 ft (1341 m) in
      5.5 miles (9 km) in temps that topped 80 F (27 C). This is where the
      picture above was taken.

      The next weekend I took Jenn to the same place, but made a three-day
      trip out of it, stopping the first day at Little Round Valley where we
      made a base camp. I wore the Teko socks the first day and the return
      (3rd) day after rinsing them out. Temps ranged from 54 to 81 F (12 to
      27 C).

      Next was two days in Yosemite National Park for a very hot and hard 44
      miles (71 km) in temps up to 84 F (29 C) with 7790 ft (2374 m) of gain
      carrying a 36 lb (16.3 kg) pack.

      I wore them on a 23.2 mile (37.4 km) hike in San Gorgonio Wilderness
      to Mt San Gorgonio via the Dollar Lake trail. This hike starts at 6680
      ft (2040 m) and goes to the summit at 11500 ft (3505 m) elevation. It
      is a very rough trail with a lot of loose rock and scree in places.
      The trail had a lot of ice in it above 10000 ft (3050 m). The
      temperatures only went from 45 to 31 F (7 to -1 C).

      Next Jenn and I went to the Ortega Candy Store trailhead and did the
      Bear Canyon/Bear Ridge loop in the San Mateo Wilderness. 6.8 miles (11
      km) in temps to about 80 F (27 C) on up and down trails that were
      either sandy or rocky. We had 1100 ft (335 m) of elevation gain and
      loss. Below is a picture from this trip standing (OK, posing) on a
      rock.

      Lastly Dave and I went 27 miles (43 km) on the PCT from Green Valley
      to Vasquez Rocks This hike saw 5000 ft (1525 m) of gain as we went
      over three passes in temperatures that hit 70 F (21 C). The terrain
      was either dirt, scree or rock.

      Observations

      After being impressed by Teko's mini crew socks (see review) I ordered
      two pair of midweight and two pairs of heavy weight socks from them.
      While I normally like to wear heavy weight socks for my hiking, I
      spent much of the summer and early fall of 2008 wearing some Vasque
      Kota Mid boots that were too tight to accommodate them. So the Teko
      Midweights saw a lot of use with the Kotas. I also wore them with a
      pair of Vasque Velocity trail runners on some day-hikes.

      Just like Teko's other socks I wrote about, the Midweights had some
      ropy looking pilling occur when I first started wearing them. But
      again after I pulled it off the pilling stopped occurring. My guess is
      that it is just loose wool fibers from the manufacturing process.

      The socks are very comfortable and soft. They are not the slightest
      bit itchy. The denser areas at the heel and front of the foot stay
      springy even after long days in hot boots.

      The legs stay up where they are supposed to be too. I hate a droopy
      sock.

      I usually wear a liner sock while hiking, but half the use with the
      Kota boots were sans liners. On these trips the Teko socks wicked
      moisture away from my feet well. I never experienced any blisters
      while wearing them this way. In fact the only blister I had with these
      socks on was in Yosemite and it was caused by being forced to go an
      extra 9 miles farther than planned and did not stop soon enough to
      remedy a spot that my liner sock had bunched up under the Teko sock.
      So blame that one on me.

      Because I did a lot of hot weather hiking with these socks on, they
      have seen a lot of in-camp washing. (Well rinsing would be more
      accurate as I do not use soap in the field.) I rinse them a bunch of
      times, then wring them as tightly as possible to get most of the water
      out. This is much more abusive than the spin cycle in a washing
      machine. After wringing I whip them through the air to force remaining
      water out of the socks. This too is hard on the fabric. Finally they
      are draped on a rock in the sun or hung on a pine branch. The Teko
      socks have not lost any of their shape from this rough treatment.

      At home I wash and dry them like suggested and have seen no shrinkage
      whatsoever.

      I have midweight merino wool socks from two other manufacturers. There
      is a noticeable difference between the feel of the Teko socks compared
      to the others. They have more of a bounce to the material. (This is
      hard to explain.) This is why I have become a big fan of Teko. While
      they are more expensive than others I believe that they last longer
      and are more comfortable so it makes them worth it to me.

      One thing I really do not care for is the Rust color. It really should
      be called orange! I felt like I was wearing hunter safety socksÂ… Jenn
      called me the Halloween Hiker. Next time all green for me.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2009

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager