OR - Big Agnes IAC pad - Ray

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5 7:50 PM
      And here is another OR,

      HTML may be found here;
      http://tinyurl.com/dh52uh

      Ray

      Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad
      By Raymond Estrella
      OWNER REVIEW
      February 05, 2009
      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrellaAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Orange County, California, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)
      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in
      many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my wife Jenn or brother-in-law Dave.
      The Product
      Manufacturer: Big Agnes Inc
      Web site: www.bigagnes.com
      Product: Insulated Air Core Pad
      Size: Rectangular, Long
      Year manufactured: 2008
      MSRP: (US) $84.95
      Weight listed: 27 oz (765 g)
      Actual weight: 26.3 oz (746 g)
      Weight of stuff sack w/ repair kit: 1.4 oz (40 g)
      Measurements listed: 20 x 78 x 2.5 in (51 x 198 x 6.25 cm) Verified
      accurate
      Packed size listed: 5.5 x 9 in (14 x 23 cm) Verified accurate
      Estimated R-value: 4.1
      Temperature rating: to 15 F (-9 C)
      Product Description
      The Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad (hereafter referred to as the IAC
      or the pad) is an inflatable air mattress intended for use as a cool
      weather backpacker's sleeping pad. The pad is made of brown 50D nylon
      diamond rip-stop on top, with the same material in black on the
      bottom. The inner surface of the nylon has been given a polyurethane
      coating. The IAC has the Big Agnes logo at the upper left corner of
      the pad in white lettering, along with the product name and size. Just
      below that is a Primaloft logo, also in white.

      The pad is made up of seven air chambers, running lengthwise. The
      chambers are described as being I-beam construction. The manufacturer
      describes it as follows. "I-beam construction eliminates welded seams
      to reduce cold spots and ensures quick inflation/deflation, consistent
      air flow and stability."

      The pad has PrimaLoft Eco insulation inside it. The insulation is in
      sheet form and is attached to the top side of the pad. The insulation
      has been treated with a "silicone treatment which serves as an anti-
      microbial within the pad." Since one introduces moisture into the pad
      while inflating by mouth, this is probably a good thing. It is very
      important to remember to sleep with the brown side up (against one's
      body) to make the most of the insulating properties of the PrimaLoft
      Eco.

      In one corner of the pad at the top is a two-piece plastic-coated
      brass screw-closed air valve. When turned clockwise it closes the
      valve. Turning it counter-clockwise opens the valve, releasing the air
      to empty the pad. Big Agnes calls the valve an "EZ-Flate mouthpiece".
      The bottom section of the valve spins open or closed while the top, or
      end, stays stationary in my mouth. The picture to the right shows the
      valve and the pattern of the nylon.

      The IAC came with a brown nylon stuff sack that closes with a draw-
      cord and cord-lock. A pocket inside of the stuff sack contains a
      repair kit consisting of a rip-stop fabric patch and a small tube of
      glue. Here is a picture of it stuffed.

      Field Conditions
      I have used this current model on the following trips to date.

      First was two nights in Yosemite National Park for a very hot and hard
      44 miles (71 km) of backpacking, and another 3 miles (5 km) getting
      back to a road in temps up to 84 F (29 C) with 7790 ft (2374 m) of
      gain carrying a 36 lb (16.3 kg) pack. The picture below is from this
      trip. The pad is in my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2, but it works in other
      company's tents too…

      Then came a 79 mile (127 km) 3-1/2 day monster hike from Sonora Pass
      down through the Emigrant Wilderness to Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite
      National Park. This hike saw 15200 (4633 m) of elevation gain with
      temperatures that ranged from 83 to 43 F (28 to 6 C). My starting pack
      weight with food and 3 qt/L water was exactly 37 lb (16.8 kg).

      Dave and I spent two days in the Tehachapi Mountains just south of
      Sequoia National Forest. The temps were between 35 and 66 F (2 to 19
      C). We went 42 miles (68 km). We had to carry all our water so my pack
      weight was 35 lb (15.9 kg) starting out.

      I used it on a backpacking trip with Jenn to San Mateo Wilderness in
      Cleveland National Forest. We did a 9 mile (14.5 km) first day with an
      all up-hill 3.5 mile (5.6 km) hike back the next day. It hit 75 F (24
      C) for a high but felt hotter in the sun, and got down to a chilly 28
      F (-2 C) at night. High elevation was 2000 ft (610 m) with a total of
      1300 ft (400 m) of elevation gain and loss. We were camped on packed
      dirt.

      Observations
      This is my second Insulated Air Core of this shape and size. (I also
      have the older mummy version seen above but am only writing about the
      use of the rectangular here.) My first IAC was one of the first sold
      by Big Agnes, and the subject of one of my first reviews for
      BackpackGearTest.org. After using that one for many years it developed
      a slow leak that I could not see. The leak got to where I had to blow
      it up a few times during the night. I finally decided to buy a new one
      and when I called Big Agnes they told me to send my old one in for
      them to look at it. I did and they emailed me to tell me that they
      were covering the old pad under warranty and sent me a new one. That
      is my kind of customer service.

      A few things have changed with the pad since my early version. The
      insulation is now the recycled-content PrimaLoft Eco. It seems to work
      as well or better than the original PrimaLoft. I can definitely tell
      that the insulation sheet is much thicker than on my first one. While
      Big Agnes suggests the useful low temperature that it be used at is
      down to 15 F (-9 C) I have found that I will be cold on it any where
      lower than about 25 F (-4 C). I have used the original to even lower
      temps by placing a closed cell pad on top of the Insulated Air Core.
      This works very well, but now when the temperature is expected to be
      too low I just take one of Big Agnes' Dual Core pads instead.

      There are two reasons I love these pads. First is the comfort. The
      difference between the Big Agnes pads with their 2.5 in (6.25 cm) of
      thickness and all my earlier pads is like night and day. The IAC
      allows me the space to adjust the inflation level to hard or soft
      support and still avoid hitting the hard ground with my hip and
      shoulder. (As a side sleeper I am prone to this happening a lot.)

      It is comfortable to sleep directly on the pad too. This past fall was
      a much hotter than normal and for five of the nights on this pad I
      just used my bag as a quilt to cover me as I lay on the IAC. I did not
      feel clammy from my skin in contact with the nylon.

      The second reason is how small they pack down to. They pack down to
      about half the size of my standard self-inflating or closed-cell pads.
      This lets me carry them inside of my pack instead of on the outside
      where it snags everything and gets dirty.

      The extra 6 in (15 cm) of length over standard pad sizing works great
      for me too. It is so nice to not have my feet hanging off the pad
      during the night.

      While I do have some Big Agnes sleeping bags that the pads are made to
      work with, I use them with all my other brands of bags too.

      I have had no problems with the durability of this pad. (The older
      version mummy-shaped pad has much more use with zero problems too.) I
      was very worried on two nights in Emigrant Wilderness. The sites had a
      profusion of the sharpest pine needles I have ever seen. (Four months
      later I am still pulling broken off needles out of my blue foam sit
      pad from that trip.) I tried to brush as many clear as possible before
      setting my tent up but it was impossible to remove them all. To my
      surprise I got through both nights without having to break out the
      repair kit.

      I love my Insulated Air Core pads and expect to be using them for a
      long time to come.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6 9:00 PM

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • CLD
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13 6:46 AM
          <rayestrella@...> wrote:

          > And here is another OR,
          >
          > HTML may be found here;
          > http://tinyurl.com/dh52uh
          >
          > Ray

          Hey Ray! You're almost up to an OR a day. :)

          Here are your edits:

          "This past fall was a much hotter than normal and for five of the
          nights on this pad I just used my bag as a quilt to cover me as I lay
          on the IAC."
          EDIT: Please either remove the "a" (This past fall was much hotter
          than...) or add the word "one" (...a much hotter than normal one...)

          "I did not feel clammy from my skin in contact with the nylon."
          EDIT: ...from my skin "coming" or "being" in contact...

          That's it -- please make the edits and upload here:
          http://tinyurl.com/dagk5c

          Looks like you have an OR there from 2005 for your older IAC as well
          -- let me know if you have any issues uploading this newer one.

          Please be sure to delete your file from the Test folder as well.

          Thanks for a great report!

          -- Chari
          "Not all who wander are lost"
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13 11:41 AM
            Hi Chari,

            Thank you for the edits. See you next month,