RE: [BackpackGearTest] EDIT: OR- Bushman Personal Insect Repellent- Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3 4:09 AM
      Hi André,

      Thanks for the edits.

      I cannot believe that I missed simple things. That’s why we have Editors I
      guess. <g>.

      Copy in test folder has been deleted.

      Got a photo of the back of the can and placed it in the review.

      Cheers

      Ralph

    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3 7:23 AM
        Hi Ralph,
        it's good to see the photo you added in the review. I also note,
        however, that some of the later typos are still in the version now on
        the website. (Like "wasp" being used in the singular several times,
        even though you specifically mention "several" of them earlier.)

        Would you be so kind as to go over the EDIT again and then repost to
        this list? I assume I'll be able to give formal APPROVAL then. ;-)

        Regards,

        André

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton"
        <rdassetts@...> wrote:

        > Hi André,
        >
        > Thanks for the edits.
        >
        > I cannot believe that I missed simple things. That's why we have
        Editors I
        > guess. <g>.
        >
        > Copy in test folder has been deleted.
        >
        > Got a photo of the back of the can and placed it in the review.
        >

        > Cheers
        >
        > Ralph

      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14 1:44 AM
          Hello André,
          I am finally back on line after my computer died.
          Here is the amended OR for your edification.
          The copy in the test folder can be accessed here:
          http://tinyurl.com/bznzpd

          Cheers
          Ralph

          BushMan Personal Insect Repellent
          Owner Review By: Ralph Ditton
          Date: 27th January, 2009

          Bushman 225 g

          (courtesy of Bushman)

          Personal Information
          Name: Ralph Ditton
          Age: 57
          Height: 1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)
          Weight: 71 kg (156 lb)
          Email: rdassetts at optusnet dot com dot au
          Location: Perth, Western Australia

          Product Information
          Manufacturer: North Queensland Laboratories
          Made in: 63 Koppen Terrace, Cairns.
          Year manufactured: 2008
          Product: Bushman 40% DEET Heavy Duty
          Manufacturer's URL: http://www.bushman-repellent.com
          Manufacturer's listed net weight: 225 g (8 oz)
          Measured gross weight: 284 g (10 oz)
          MSRP: Not listed

          Product Description
          The Bushman Personal Insect Repellent (herein after known as
          "repellent") is an aerosol spray designed for blood sucking insects,
          which comes in a tan coloured aluminium can with a yellow spray nozzle
          at the top. The cap is red. The propellant is a hydrocarbon
          compromising
          of a butane/propane mix which are a flammable gaseous alkane. An
          alkane
          is any saturated aliphatic hydrocarbon with the general formula
          CnH2n+2.

          In this 40% DEET range there are two other sizes of cans available,
          the
          60 g (2.1 oz ) net and 130 g (4.5 oz) net.

          To operate, just press down on the top of the spray nozzle and hold
          the
          can about 15 - 20 cm (6 - 8 in) from exposed skin and lightly spray
          with
          a slow sweeping motion. The can can be held upside down to operate.

          The active constituents/ingredients are 400g/kg (14 oz/lb)
          diethyltoluamide, ethanol, butane and propane. The liquid is clear and
          has a pH of between 5.5 - 6.5. It is non greasy and has a low odour
          which I find quite pleasant. In addition, the repellent is water and
          rub
          resistant.

          The front of the can states that the repellent is good for repelling
          the
          following " sand flies, mosquitoes, ticks, leeches and march flies".
          The repellent is supposed to repel insects for hours in areas of
          intense
          insect activity. The manufacturer states that protection should last
          for
          up to ten hours.

          On the reverse of the can there are warning and precautions listed
          along with first aid contact details if poisoning occurs. Basically,
          it
          is just common sense stuff.

          reverse of can

          (courtesy of Bushman)

          Performance in the field
          My first use of the repellent was over a weekend commencing on the
          Friday evening.
          Whilst setting up camp around 6pm at Potters Gorge on the edge of
          Wellington Dam, I was attacked by March flies. I gave myself a spray
          of
          the repellent and that kept them at bay.
          As darkness fell the March flies disappeared.

          The next day was our big walk off-track looking for an old plane crash
          site. When we crossed to the other side of the dam wall and started
          our
          climb up the hill in temperatures fluctuating between 22 C and 26 C
          (72
          and 79 F) to an elevation of 200 m (660 ft), our group of three was
          immediately attacked by scores of March flies.
          Packs off and a very generous spray of the 40% DEET was applied. This
          had the effect of the March flies circling us continuously without
          landing on us whilst we kept moving. When I and the other two stopped
          for a break, the March flies would settle on our shoes, the only place
          we did not spray. They stayed with us all day whilst we were in the
          scrub without biting us. I did not reapply any more repellent as the
          initial spray was lasting very well.

          Back at the campsite after the day's activities, I had a wash to get
          rid
          of the perspiration, sunscreen and insect spray.
          Upon sitting down to enjoy a beer, I got bitten on a toe by a March
          fly
          that had landed on my Croc shoe and crept through one of the little
          round hole's on top of the shoe to bite me. Needless to say, I gave my
          legs another light spray and had no more trouble.

          Throughout the summer I liberally sprayed myself with the spray to
          protect me from any annoying flies and mossies whilst working outdoors
          in my profession. I have to get into shrubbery where wasps nest and
          other biting insects hide like spiders and ants. I am very pleased to
          advise that I have not been stung by a wasp or bitten by an ant or
          spider. The main spider types that I encounter are Huntsmen and
          Redbacks
          and the occasional White Tail spider which can make one very sick or
          temporarily numbed on one side of the body as I know. I have been
          bitten
          by one. I was partially numbed down the left hand side. I could draw a
          line down half of my face and onto the chest. One side was numb like I
          had been to the dentist with no feeling and the other side normal.
          Needless to say I am always on the look out for them.

          I have been on twelve day walks with the Perth Bushwalking Club as
          either a helper or a leader and I always cover myself with a liberal
          dose of insect repellent so that I am ensured of an insect free day's
          walk. Invariably, I hand the can around for others to give themselves
          spray after they become annoyed by flies on the walks. The sweat on
          our
          bodies seems to attract the flies. The flies do many figure of eights
          around me, frustrated in that they cannot land on me to sup the sweat
          from my face and arms.

          A recent outing was back to my favourite camping area, Prickly Bark on
          the Coastal Plain Trail. It sits at an elevation of roughly 80 m (262
          ft). The trail from the eastern terminus to the campsite is a sandy
          track that is mostly flat with a steep climb up a heavily vegetated
          sand
          dune over the last half a kilometre (0.31 mi) to the campsite.
          Vegetation is mainly Banksia trees, Grass trees (Balckboys)
          wildflowers
          and paper barks. Great fly and tick country, especially the Grass
          trees
          where ticks love to lay in wait on the tips of the fronds.
          When I arrived and set up camp at 4.45 pm the temperature was 38.6 C
          (101.5 F) and the relative humidity was 21.5% as measured by my
          Kestrel
          3,500 unit.
          I had the dubious honour of having my own personal escort of bush
          flies
          during the walk to the campsite. As I had sprayed myself, the flies
          did
          not land on me.

          Upon reaching the campsite and taking the pack off my back I was
          greeted
          by a swarm of March flies and a few black bush wasps that had taken up
          residence inside the three sided hut to escape the heat and for shade.
          Again they did not land and bite me.
          I unpacked and set up my bivy under the shade of a tree.

          Coming back inside the hut, the wasp and March flies had disappeared
          which made me curious as to where they could be. I then proceeded to
          spray the Bushman Personal Repellent inside the hut especially the
          walls, sleeping platforms and under the table. Then I sprayed under
          the
          sleeping platform that had lots of cobwebs and it was dark under
          there.
          Well, that got a reaction. Out came the March flies and the few black
          bush wasps very angry. They buzzed me vastly agitated so I gave them
          another burst for good measure whilst in flight. They got the message
          and took off out of the hut never to return whilst I was there.

          Prickly Bark hut

          Prickly Bark campsite

          In the above photo, the gap between the dirt floor and sleeping
          platform
          can be seen where the black bush wasps and March flies had taken
          shelter
          from the heat.

          Giving myself another spray I then went exploring around the campsite
          because I did not want to get another tick bite as the campsite in
          summer is notorious for ticks.

          Returning back to camp I was very sweaty and feeling sticky from the
          spray and sweat so I stripped off and had a good wash using my
          collapsible kitchen sink of 5 litres. Refreshed and with a change of
          clothes I gave myself a very light spray as the sun was starting to
          disappear and mosquitoes were starting their shift.

          I am happy to report that I did not get bitten by the black bush
          wasps,
          March flies, ticks or mosquitoes during my stay at the campsite.

          As an outdoor worker in the city, I have been using the spray to ward
          off the annoying housefly when I am on the job over the summer months.
          The flies do not land on me but still fly in circles millimetres from
          my
          face trying to find a spot to drink the perspiration. It drives them
          crazy judging by the sound of their frantic wing flapping.

          My last outing was to the Central Wheat belt Area of Western
          Australia.
          I based myself at the very tiny township of Bullaring in a vacant home
          owned by my friend's nephew. There are only three homes, a vacant
          general store and a community hall. It is remote and the bush flies
          love it.

          The daytime temperature was hot and the weather dry. The daytime
          temperatures ranged from a cool 19 C (66 F) around 7am to a high of
          38 C
          (100 F) around 11am. It stayed fairly constant at that temperature
          then
          started to drop around 5pm to a comfortable 27 C (81 F) with a
          pleasant
          cooling breeze.

          We explored the area on foot. Before leaving the house, both of us
          sprayed ourselves very liberally with the spray.
          During the walk, on the odd occasion, flies did actually land on my
          arms
          and face. However, they only stayed for a nano second before departing
          as the spray was doing its job.
          Again, I had a constant swarm of bush flies around me hoping against
          all
          of the odds to find a spot that I may have missed spraying and land on
          me to feed on my salty, sweaty skin.

          country we walked in
          view out the
          back of the house of the country we walked in
          another view of the
          country

          another view of the country

          I did find it irritating to have the flies as constant companions but
          the spray did do its job of keeping them off me.

          When I was back in the home of the late afternoon, I did have a wash
          clean the spray off me as it did feel a bit grubby with it all mixed
          up
          with sweat. I certainly noticed the difference as my skin did feel
          fresher after the wash. Sadly, so did the flies. Fortunately, they
          were
          not in the numbers as earlier in the day so I was able to tolerate the
          few persistent flies as I sat outside in the shade enjoying a beer or
          two with my walking mate.

          We did not experience any mosquitoes at this location during the
          evening
          as the area is very dry as evidenced by the photo taken from the back
          of
          the house, so they have nowhere to breed. All of the water tank lids
          are
          sealed up with padlocks and the in flow pipes have a mesh to keep
          insects and leaf litter out.

          Summary
          Over the summer period I have been using the spray on a regular basis
          whilst working and enjoying the outdoors whilst bushwalking.
          My next purchase will be the smaller spray can of 60 g (2.1 oz) which
          is
          ideal for backpackers who are now becoming very weight conscious with
          the gear they pack into their backpacks.

          The spray has done its job of keeping biting, stinging fauna away from
          causing me grief.

          At no stage has my skin reacted to the spray. At worst after a few
          hours
          I feel a bit grubby when the spray becomes mixed with salty sweat.

          I did learn very quickly not to rub my eyes with the knuckles of my
          hand
          as the spray on the back of my hand did irritate the edge of my eye
          lid
          ever so slightly. I just did it without thinking when it was itchy.

          The can is left in my work van for ready use during the week as I do
          not
          spray ever day. I can tolerate a few house flies buzzing around whilst
          working, but when they arrive in force then I have the can handy.

          As an aside, I have also used the spray as a surface spray at some
          campsites because I have seen ticks walking across the dirt to get to
          me
          and it seems to have worked as none got onto me.

          Things I like

          * Very effective in stopping ticks, flies and mosquitoes getting
          onto me
          * Has a rather nice smell
          * The spray last for a good six hours after an application

          Things I dislike
          None that I can think of. I had no negative experience with the spray.

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
          <andre.corterier@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ralph,
          > it's good to see the photo you added in the review. I also note,
          > however, that some of the later typos are still in the version now
          on
          > the website. (Like "wasp" being used in the singular several times,
          > even though you specifically mention "several" of them earlier.)
          >
          > Would you be so kind as to go over the EDIT again and then repost
          > this list? I assume I'll be able to give formal APPROVAL then. ;-)
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > André
          >
          > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton"
          > <rdassetts@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi André,
          > >
          > > Thanks for the edits.
          > >
          > > I cannot believe that I missed simple things. That's why we have
          > Editors I
          > > guess. <g>.
          > >
          > > Copy in test folder has been deleted.
          > >
          > > Got a photo of the back of the can and placed it in the review.
          > >

          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Ralph

        • André Corterier
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 16 2:44 AM
            <rdassetts@...> wrote:

            > Hello André,
            > I am finally back on line after my computer died.
            > Here is the amended OR for your edification.
            > The copy in the test folder can be accessed here:
            > http://tinyurl.com/bznzpd
            >
            > Cheers
            > Ralph

            Glad to hear it.

            > BushMan Personal Insect Repellent
            > Owner Review By: Ralph Ditton
            > Date: 27th January, 2009

            You may want to update that.

            <snip>
            > The propellant is a hydrocarbon
            > compromising

            ### EDIT: comprised of [or: ... a hydrocarbon mix comprising...]

            > of a butane/propane mix which are a flammable gaseous alkane.

            ### EDIT: which are flammable gaseous alkanes.

            An
            > alkane
            > is any saturated aliphatic hydrocarbon with the general formula
            > CnH2n+2.

            ### Comment: Thanks for that. ;-)

            <snip>
            > Upon sitting down to enjoy a beer, I got bitten on a toe by a March
            > fly
            > that had landed on my Croc shoe and crept through one of the little
            > round hole's

            ### EDIT: holes

            on top of the shoe to bite me. Needless to say, I gave my
            > legs another light spray and had no more trouble.
            <snip>
            > Upon reaching the campsite and taking the pack off my back I was
            > greeted
            > by a swarm of March flies and a few black bush wasps that had taken
            up
            > residence inside the three sided hut to escape the heat and for
            shade.
            > Again they did not land and bite me.
            > I unpacked and set up my bivy under the shade of a tree.
            >
            > Coming back inside the hut, the wasp and March flies

            ### EDIT: wasps

            had disappeared
            > which made me curious as to where they could be. I then proceeded to
            > spray the Bushman Personal Repellent inside the hut especially the
            > walls, sleeping platforms and under the table. Then I sprayed under
            > the
            > sleeping platform that had lots of cobwebs and it was dark under
            > there.
            > Well, that got a reaction. Out came the March flies and the few
            black
            > bush wasps very angry. They buzzed me vastly agitated so I gave them
            > another burst for good measure whilst in flight. They got the
            message
            > and took off out of the hut never to return whilst I was there.
            <snip>

            > The can is left in my work van for ready use during the week as I
            do
            > not
            > spray ever day.

            ### EDIT: every

            <snip>

            Once you've taken care of the above, please upload to the proper
            folder and delete the test folder version.

            I may have to get some of that stuff when I'm down under this summer.
            Unfortunately, I'll be on the other coast (Brisbane) and the budget
            fairy won't allow a cross-continental fligth. But I hope to be able
            to extend the (business) trip by a couple of days and get some
            walking done.

            André
            OR Editor
          • Ralph Ditton
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16 3:45 AM
              Hello André,

              I have attended to the edits, deleted the test folder version and uploaded.

              Many thanks for picking out the “wasps” that I missed.

              It is good stuff so get yourself some.

              Let me know when you are going to Brisbane and I’ll let my brother know. He
              has a lovely wine collection that you may wish to sample.

              Cheers

              Ralph

              <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ralph Ditton"
              <rdassetts@...> wrote:

              > Hello André,
              > I am finally back on line after my computer died.
              > Here is the amended OR for your edification.
              > The copy in the test folder can be accessed here:
              > http://tinyurl.com/bznzpd
              >
              > Cheers
              > Ralph

              Glad to hear it.