OR- Alpha Set - Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2009
      Here is another OR for the lucky Editor in waiting.

      A copy is in the test folder and can be located at:

      http://tinyurl.com/atddmd

      Cheers

      Ralph

      REVIEW OF ALPHA SET

      REVIEWER: RALPH DITTON

      DATE: 27TH January, 2009

      Alpha set

      Personal Information

      Name: Ralph Ditton

      Age: 57

      Height: 1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)

      Weight: 71 kg (156 lb)

      Email: rdassetts at optusnet dot com dot au

      Location: Perth, Western Australia

      Bushwalking Background

      I have been bushwalking for over eight years. My playgrounds are the

      Darling Range, Bibbulmun Track and the Coastal Plain Trail. I aim to

      become an end-to-end walker of the Bibbulmun Track. I am nearly there as

      it is 964 km (603 mi) long. Just on 200 km (124 mi) to go. My pack

      weight including food and water tends to hover around 18 kg (40 lb) but

      I am trying to get lighter. My trips range from overnighters to five

      days duration. My shelter of choice is a tent.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Sea to Summit

      Manufacturer's URL: http://www.seatosummit.com.au

      Made in: China

      Listed weight of knife, fork & spoon: 37 g (1.3 oz)

      Measured weight of knife, fork & spoon: 38 g (1.3 oz)

      Measured weight of carabiner: 4 g (0. 14 oz)

      Material: 7075-T6 Aircraft Alloy

      Year of manufacturer: 2008

      MSRP: Not listed

      Product Description

      The first question is; what is an Alpha Set?

      An Alpha Set is a single set of a knife, fork and spoon made out of

      Ultra-light hard anodised 7075-T6 aircraft alloy. The metal has a smooth

      matt finish and is hardened for long use.

      In the handle ends there is an integrated hex tool. The knife has a 5 mm

      (0.19 in) hex, the fork has a 4 mm (0.15 in) hex and the spoon has a 3

      mm (0.11 in) hex.

      integrated hex tools

      To cut down on weight there are four holes punched into the handles but

      these holes do not compromise the integrity of the tool.

      Included with the set is a carabiner to keep the set together which can

      be seen in the top photo.

      The handles of the cutlery set are 105 mm (4.1 in) long. The blade of

      the knife has a serration which is prominent on one side only and just

      visible on the other side as per the above photo. The length of the

      blade is 77 mm (3 in) but the serration is only 63 mm (2.5 in) long.

      I can run my fingers along the serration without any risk of cutting

      myself as it is not at all sharp.

      The fork has four prongs that are 30 mm (1.2 in) long, more than

      adequate to spear food for cutting and eating purposes.

      The spoon has a reasonable bowl to capture a good mouthful of food and

      is slightly bent forward of the handle at 25°.

      Field use

      I tried the knife in cutting various vegetables such as carrots, tomato

      (yes, it is a fruit), cucumber and beans. Although the knife does cut,

      it is made difficult as the serrations are not very sharp at all. In

      fact, the tomatoes were a bit mangled because of the soft skin surface

      of the tomato.

      On the other hand, the knife cut cooked meat very well and I did not

      have to force or apply much pressure on the meat to achieve a good neat cut.

      Out in the field I have cooked schnitzels, bacon, sausages, steaks and

      chops. The knife cuts the cooked meat without any problems. However, it

      has great difficulty in cutting the section that joins raw sausages

      together when I separate them for cooking and cutting through the rind

      of bacon before it is cooked.

      meat cut with knife

      knife

      cutting the meat

      When I backpack, I like to have a multi use item and a knife definitely

      falls into this category. I want it to cut food of all different

      textures. I do not want to be adding weight to my backpack with the same

      multiple items that each can only carry out a limited number of task.

      The fork does what a fork does very well. It traps food for cutting and

      eating with. It also doubles up as a tool to fish objects out of a meal

      and stir when being cooked. It is also handy in helping lift a lid off a

      hot pot.

      The spoon. Probably the most used item of the three. I use it to stir,

      lift tea bags out of my tea when the string has either broken off or

      fallen in and to eat with, especially dehydrated meals. I would be

      totally lost without my spoon in the bush. I can get by without a knife

      and fork to eat with but a spoon is essential as it is so useful with

      all types of meals.

      Its handle (the spoon), to me, is on the short side. When I use it to

      eat a dehydrated meal in the pouch, I have to trim the packet down so

      that the spoon can reach the dropping level of food. I cannot use the

      Alpha knife as it will not cut the foil packet. I have to use another

      sharp blade that is contained in my Leatherman.

      I found a use for the hex tool in the end of the knife. I use it to

      change the jet on my multi-fuel Primus stove. I need to change the jet

      when I use different fuels. Currently, I alternate between unleaded

      petrol and gas.

      hex tool unscrewing a jet

      (unscrewing a jet)

      To date I have not found a use for the other sized hex tools as my

      backpacking equipment tends not to be of the mechanical type. A stove

      would be about the most mechanical thing with screws and nuts that I

      carry backpacking.

      Cleaning

      Out in the field I clean my cutlery with water and detergent in my

      kitchen sink without any affect on the metal.

      However,upon my return home the first time from a camping bushwalk, I

      put the cutlery in the dishwasher to give it a thorough clean.

      When I emptied the dishwasher, I noticed that the colour had faded with

      the spoon showing up with blotchy patches on the bowl part, both front

      and back. Needless to say, I no longer put them in the dishwasher. I

      just give them a good clean in the kitchen sink at home with very hot

      water and a mild dish washing detergent.

      front of tarnished cutlery

      front of tarnished

      cutlery

      reverse of tarnished cutlery

      reverse of tarnished cutlery

      Things I like

      * Lightweight

      * Hex tool is very handy

      * Feels good in the hand

      Things I don't like

      * Knife is limited as to what it can cut

      * Spoon's handle is too short for dehydrated packets

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2009

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Kathleen Waters
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
          Ralph,

          I have been assigned to edit your Owner Review. I found a few minor
          things to correct and then you are good to upload the OR to the new
          folder at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%
          20Gear/Utensils/Sea%20to%20Summit%20Alpha%20Set/ or
          http://tinyurl.com/coaq4o

          Please remember to delete your test file from the test folder and
          remember to select the "Owner Review" radio button when uploading.

          Kathy
          OR Editor
          I do not want to be adding weight to my backpack with the same
          multiple items that each can only carry out a limited number of task.
          EDIT: Change to "number of tasks."

          It traps food for cutting and eating with.
          Edit: I read this sentence a couple of times. While I get what you
          want to say, I think it's a bit difficult. Suggestion: "It traps
          food for cutting and I eat with it."

          It also doubles up as a tool to fish objects out of a meal and stir
          when being cooked.
          Edit: The same thing as above. I think if you add "to"
          between "and" and "stir", and "with" between "stir" and "when" (…and
          to stir with when…) it makes more sense.

          However,upon my return home the first time from a camping bushwalk, I
          put the cutlery in the dishwasher to give it a thorough clean.
          EDIT: Please add a space between the comma and "upon".
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton"
          <rdassetts@...> wrote:

          > Here is another OR for the lucky Editor in waiting.
          > A copy is in the test folder and can be located at:
          > http://tinyurl.com/atddmd
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Ralph
        • Ralph Ditton
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
            Hello Kathy,

            Thank you so much for the edits.

            I was especially pleased that you thought of a different way of getting the
            message across.

            The test folder copy has been purged and the final one uploaded.

            Best

            Ralph

            _____

            I have been assigned to edit your Owner Review. I found a few minor
            things to correct and then you are good to upload the OR to the new
            folder at: http://www.backpack
            <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%25> geartest.org/reviews/Cook%
            20Gear/Utensils/Sea%20to%20Summit%20Alpha%20Set/ or
            http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/coaq4o> com/coaq4o

            Please remember to delete your test file from the test folder and
            remember to select the "Owner Review" radio button when uploading.

            Kathy
            OR Editor

            <snip>