OR- Bushman Personal Insect Repellent- Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
      Dear Editor in Waiting,

      Here is an overdue OR on my use of the Bushman Personal Insect Repellent.

      A copy is in the test folder.

      Text version below.

      Link: http://tinyurl.com/b2uy3l

      Best

      Ralph

      BushMan Personal Insect Repellent

      Owner Review By: Ralph Ditton

      Date: 27th January, 2009

      Bushman

      Personal Information

      Name: Ralph Ditton

      Age: 57

      Height: 1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)

      Weight: 71 kg (156 lb)

      Email: rdassetts at optusnet dot com dot au

      Location: Perth, Western Australia

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: North Queensland Laboratories

      Made in: 63 Koppen Terrace, Cairns.

      Year manufactured: 2008

      Product: Bushman 40% DEET Heavy Duty

      Manufacturer's URL: http://www.bushman-repellent.com

      Manufacturer's listed net weight: 225 g (8 oz)

      Measured gross weight: 284 g (10 oz)

      MSRP: Not listed

      Product Description

      The Bushman Personal Insect Repellent (herein after known as

      "repellent") is an aerosol spray designed for blood sucking insects,

      which comes in a tan coloured aluminium can with a yellow spray nozzle

      at the top. The cap is red. The propellant is hydrocarbon.

      In this 40% DEET range there are two other sizes of cans available, the

      50 g (1.7 oz ) net and 130 g (4.5 oz) net.

      To operate, just press down on the top of the spray nozzle and hold the

      can about 15 - 20 cm (6 - 8 in) from exposed skin and lightly spray with

      a slow sweeping motion. The can can be held upside down to operate.

      The active constituents/ingredients are 400g/kg (14 oz/lb)

      diethyltoluamide, ethanol, butane and propane. The liquid is clear and

      has a pH of between 5.5 - 6.5. It is non greasy and has a low odour

      which I find quite pleasant. In addition, the repellent is water and rub

      resistant.

      The front of the can states that the repellent is good for repelling the

      following " sand flies, mosquitoes, ticks, leeches and march flies".

      The repellent is supposed to repel insects for hours in areas of intense

      insect activity. The manufacturer states that protection should last for

      up to ten hours.

      On the reverse of the can there are warning and precautions listed

      along with first aid contact details if poisoning occurs. Basically, it

      is just common sense stuff.

      Performance in the field

      My first use of the repellent was over a weekend commencing on the

      Friday evening.

      Whilst setting up camp around 6pm at Potters Gorge on the edge of

      Wellington Dam, I was attacked by March flies. I gave myself a spray of

      the repellent and that kept them at bay.

      As darkness fell the March flies disappeared.

      The next day was our big walk off-track looking for an old plane crash

      site. When we crossed to the other side of the dam wall and started our

      climb up the hill in temperatures fluctuating between 22 C and 26 C (72

      and 79 F) to an elevation of 200 m (660 ft),our group of three was

      immediately attacked by scores of March flies.

      Packs off and a very generous spray of the 40% DEET was applied. This

      had the effect of the March flies circling us continuously without

      landing on us whilst we kept moving. When I and the other two stopped

      for a break, the March flies would settle on our shoes, the only place

      we did not spray. They stayed with us all day whilst we were in the

      scrub without biting us. I did not reapply any more repellent as the

      initial spray was lasting very well.

      Back at the campsite after the day's activities, I had a wash to get rid

      of the perspiration, sunscreen and insect spray.

      Upon sitting down to enjoy a beer, I got bitten on a toe by a March fly

      that had landed on my Croc shoe and lent through one of the little round

      hole's on top of the shoe to bite me. Needless to say, I gave my legs

      another light spray and had no more trouble.

      Throughout the summer I liberally sprayed myself with the spray to

      protect me from any annoying flies and mossies whilst working outdoors

      in my profession. I have to get into shrubbery where wasp nest and other

      biting insects hide like spiders and ants. I am very pleased to advise

      that I have not been stung by a wasp or bitten by an ant or spider. The

      main spider types that I encounter are Huntsmen and Redbacks and the

      occasional White Tail spider which can make one very sick or temporarily

      numbed on one side of the body as I know. I have been bitten by one. I

      was partially numbed down the left hand side. I could draw a line down

      half of my face and onto the chest. One side was numb like I had been to

      the dentist with no feeling and the other side normal. Needless to say I

      am always on the look out for them.

      I have been on twelve day walks with the Perth Bushwalking Club as

      either a helper or a leader and I always cover myself with a liberal

      dose of insect repellent so that I am ensured of an insect free day's

      walk. Invariably, I hand the can around for others to give themselves a

      spray after they become annoyed by flies on the walks. The sweat on our

      bodies seems to attract the flies. The flies do many figure of eights

      around me, frustrated in that can not land on me to sup the sweat from

      my face and arms.

      A recent outing was back to my favourite camping area, Prickly Bark on

      the Coastal Plain Trail. It sits at an elevation of roughly 80 m (262

      ft). The trail from the eastern terminus to the campsite is a sandy

      track that is mostly flat with a steep climb up a heavily vegetated sand

      dune over the last half a kilometre (0.31 mi) to the campsite.

      Vegetation is mainly Banksia trees, Grass trees (Balckboys) wildflowers

      and paper barks. Great fly and tick country, especially the Grass trees

      where ticks love to lay in wait on the tips of the fronds.

      When I arrived and set up camp at 4.45 pm the temperature was 38.6 C

      (101.5 F) and the relative humidity was 21.5% as measured by my Kestrel

      3,500 unit.

      I had the dubious honour of having my own personal escort of bush flies

      during the walk to the campsite. As I had sprayed myself, the flies did

      not land on me.

      Upon reaching the campsite and taking the pack off my back I was greeted

      by a swarm of March flies a few black bush wasp that had taken up

      residence inside the three sided hut to escape the heat and for shade.

      Again they did not land and bite me.

      I unpacked and set up my bivy under the shade of a tree.

      Coming back inside the hut, the wasp and March flies had disappeared

      which made me curious as to where they could be. I then proceeded to

      spray the Bushman Personal Repellent inside the hut especially the

      walls, sleeping platforms and under the table. Then I sprayed under the

      sleeping platform that had lots of cobwebs and it was dark under there.

      Well, that got a reaction. Out came the March flies and the few black

      bush wasp very angry. They buzzed me vastly agitated so I gave them

      another burst for good measure whilst in flight. They got the message

      and took off out of the hut never to return whilst I was there.

      Prickly Bark Hut

      In the above photo, the gap between the dirt floor and sleeping platform

      can be seen where the black bush wasp and March flies had taken shelter

      from the heat.

      Giving myself another spray I then went exploring around the campsite

      because I did not want to get another tick bite as the campsite in

      summer is notorious for ticks.

      Returning back to camp I was very sweaty and feeling sticky from the

      spray and sweat so I stripped off and had a good wash using my

      collapsible kitchen sink of 5 litres. Refreshed and with a change of

      clothes I gave myself a very light spray as the sun was starting to

      disappear and mosquitoes were starting their shift.

      I am happy to report that I did not get bitten by the black bush wasp,

      March flies, ticks or mosquitoes during my stay at the campsite.

      As an outdoor worker in the city, I have been using the spray to ward

      off the annoying housefly when I am on the job over the summer months.

      The flies do not land on me but still fly in circles millimetres from my

      face trying to find a spot to drink the perspiration. It drives them

      crazy judging by the sound of their frantic wing flapping.

      My last outing was to the Central Wheat belt Area of Western Australia.

      I based myself at the very tiny township of Bullaring in a vacant home

      owned by my friend's nephew. There are only three homes, a vacant

      general store and a community hall. It is remote and the bush flies love it.

      The daytime temperature was hot and the weather dry. The daytime

      temperatures ranged from a cool 19 C (66 F) around 7am to a high of 38 C

      (100 F) around 11am. It stayed fairly constant at that temperature then

      started to drop around 5pm to a comfortable 27 C (81 F) with a pleasant

      cooling breeze.

      We explored the area on foot. Before leaving the house, both of us

      sprayed ourselves very liberally with the spray.

      During the walk, on the odd occasion, flies did actually land on my arms

      and face. However, they only stayed for a nano second before departing

      as the spray was doing its job.

      Again, I had a constant swarm of bush flies around me hoping against all

      of the odds to find a spot that I may have missed spraying and land on

      me to feed on my salty, sweaty skin.

      country we walked in

      view out the

      back of the house of the country we walked in

      another view of the country

      another view of the country

      I did find it irritating to have the flies as constant companions but

      the spray did do its job of keeping them off me.

      When I was back in the home of the late afternoon, I did have a wash to

      clean the spray off me as it did feel a bit grubby with it all mixed up

      with sweat. I certainly noticed the difference as my skin did feel

      fresher after the wash. Sadly, so did the flies. Fortunately, they were

      not in the numbers as earlier in the day so I was able to tolerate the

      few persistent flies as I sat outside in the shade enjoying a beer or

      two with my walking mate.

      We did not experience any mosquitoes at this location during the evening

      as the area is very dry as evidenced by the photo taken from the back of

      the house, so they have nowhere to breed. All of the water tank lids are

      sealed up with padlocks and the in flow pipes have a mesh to keep

      insects and leaf litter out.

      Summary

      Over the summer period I have been using the spray on a regular basis

      whilst working and enjoying the outdoors whilst bushwalking.

      One thing I would like to see is a smaller spray can, say 50 g (1.7 oz)

      for backpackers who are now becoming very weight conscious with the gear

      they pack into their backpacks.

      The spray has done its job of keeping biting, stinging fauna away from

      causing me grief.

      At no stage has my skin reacted to the spray. At worst after a few hours

      I feel a bit grubby when the spray becomes mixed with salty sweat.

      I did learn very quickly not to rub my eyes with the knuckles of my hand

      as the spray on the back of my hand did irritate the edge of my eye lid

      ever so slightly. I just did it without thinking when it was itchy.

      The can is left in my work van for ready use during the week as I do not

      spray ever day. I can tolerate a few house flies buzzing around whilst

      working, but when they arrive in force then I have the can handy.

      As an aside, I have also used the spray as a surface spray at some

      campsites because I have seen ticks walking across the dirt to get to me

      and it seems to have worked as none got onto me.

      Things I like

      * Very effective in stopping ticks, flies and mosquitoes getting onto me

      * Has a rather nice smell

      * Can fits well in the front pocket of my backpack, but a smaller

      one would be better.

      * The spray last for a good six hours after an application

      Things I dislike

      None that I can think of. I had no negative experience with the spray.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 29, 2009

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
          > EDIT: OR- Bushman Personal Insect Repellent- Ralph Ditton

          Hi Ralph, here's your Edit of the Bushman Personal Insect Repellent
          OR. Nice to see pics from down under again. You know the drill, see
          below.

          André

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton"
          <rdassetts@...> wrote:
          <snip>
          The propellant is hydrocarbon.

          EDIT: Do you mean to say "a" hydrocarbon? Can you be more specific or
          does the can not say exactly what the propellant is? There's bunches
          of hydrocarbons around...

          > In this 40% DEET range there are two other sizes of cans available,
          the

          > 50 g (1.7 oz ) net and 130 g (4.5 oz) net.

          <snip>

          > On the reverse of the can there are warning and precautions listed
          >
          > along with first aid contact details if poisoning occurs.
          Basically, it

          > is just common sense stuff.

          Comment: Fair enough. Given the rather high DEET content, some people
          might worry about health effects. You might consider taking a picture
          of the reverse side and including that (if the script would still be
          legible). Or ... not.

          <snip>
          > Upon sitting down to enjoy a beer, I got bitten on a toe by a March
          fly that had landed on my Croc shoe and lent through one of the

          Edit: "lent"? I may be unfamiliar with a proper verb here (being a
          furriner and all), still I think a word like "crept" might be easier
          to understand for the masses.

          > little round hole's on top of the shoe to bite me. Needless to say,
          > I gave my legs
          > another light spray and had no more trouble.

          <snip>
          The flies do many figure of eights around me, frustrated in that can
          not land on me to sup the sweat from

          EDIT: in that *they* cannot land

          <snip>
          > Upon reaching the campsite and taking the pack off my back I was
          greeted
          > by a swarm of March flies a few black bush wasp that had taken up

          EDIT: March flies *and* a few black bush *wasps* [plural]

          <snip>
          > I unpacked and set up my bivy under the shade of a tree.

          Comment: At 36 C in the afternoon, you set up a bivy right next to a
          hut? I assume you were testing it... ;-)

          <snip>
          > Well, that got a reaction. Out came the March flies and the few
          black bush wasp very angry.

          EDIT: black bush wasp*s*

          <snip>
          > In the above photo, the gap between the dirt floor and sleeping
          platform
          > can be seen where the black bush wasp

          EDIT: wasps

          > and March flies had taken shelter from the heat.

          <snip>

          > I am happy to report that I did not get bitten by the black bush
          wasp,

          EDIT: wasps

          <snip>

          > Summary
          >
          > Over the summer period I have been using the spray on a regular
          basis

          > whilst working and enjoying the outdoors whilst bushwalking.
          >
          > One thing I would like to see is a smaller spray can, say 50 g (1.7
          oz)

          > for backpackers who are now becoming very weight conscious with the
          gear

          > they pack into their backpacks.

          Edit: According to your Owner Review (2nd paragraph under "Product
          Information", there is a 50 g and a 130 g size. If your complaint is
          that you've never seen that size in a store, pls phrase it as such.

          <snip>
          > * Can fits well in the front pocket of my backpack, but a
          smaller one would be better.

          Edit: See above.

          -----

          That's all. Please repost once you've taken care of the above and I
          assume it'll be good to upload then.

          André
          OR Editor
        • Ralph Ditton
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
            Hi André,

            Thanks for the edits.

            I cannot believe that I missed simple things. That’s why we have Editors I
            guess. <g>.

            Copy in test folder has been deleted.

            Got a photo of the back of the can and placed it in the review.

            Cheers

            Ralph

          • André Corterier
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
              Hi Ralph,
              it's good to see the photo you added in the review. I also note,
              however, that some of the later typos are still in the version now on
              the website. (Like "wasp" being used in the singular several times,
              even though you specifically mention "several" of them earlier.)

              Would you be so kind as to go over the EDIT again and then repost to
              this list? I assume I'll be able to give formal APPROVAL then. ;-)

              Regards,

              <rdassetts@...> wrote:

              > Hi André,
              >
              > Thanks for the edits.
              >
              > I cannot believe that I missed simple things. That's why we have
              Editors I
              > guess. <g>.
              >
              > Copy in test folder has been deleted.
              >
              > Got a photo of the back of the can and placed it in the review.
              >

              > Cheers
              >
              > Ralph

            • Ralph Ditton
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 14, 2009
                Hello André,
                I am finally back on line after my computer died.
                Here is the amended OR for your edification.
                The copy in the test folder can be accessed here:
                http://tinyurl.com/bznzpd

                Cheers
                Ralph

                Date: 27th January, 2009

                Bushman 225 g

                (courtesy of Bushman)

                Personal Information
                Name: Ralph Ditton
                Age: 57
                Height: 1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)
                Weight: 71 kg (156 lb)
                Email: rdassetts at optusnet dot com dot au
                Location: Perth, Western Australia

                Product Information
                Manufacturer: North Queensland Laboratories
                Made in: 63 Koppen Terrace, Cairns.
                Year manufactured: 2008
                Product: Bushman 40% DEET Heavy Duty
                Manufacturer's URL: http://www.bushman-repellent.com
                Manufacturer's listed net weight: 225 g (8 oz)
                Measured gross weight: 284 g (10 oz)
                MSRP: Not listed

                Product Description
                The Bushman Personal Insect Repellent (herein after known as
                "repellent") is an aerosol spray designed for blood sucking insects,
                which comes in a tan coloured aluminium can with a yellow spray nozzle
                at the top. The cap is red. The propellant is a hydrocarbon
                compromising
                of a butane/propane mix which are a flammable gaseous alkane. An
                alkane
                is any saturated aliphatic hydrocarbon with the general formula
                CnH2n+2.

                In this 40% DEET range there are two other sizes of cans available,
                the
                60 g (2.1 oz ) net and 130 g (4.5 oz) net.

[...]

                reverse of can

                (courtesy of Bushman)

[...]

                that had landed on my Croc shoe and crept through one of the little
                round hole's on top of the shoe to bite me. Needless to say, I gave my
                legs another light spray and had no more trouble.

                Throughout the summer I liberally sprayed myself with the spray to
                protect me from any annoying flies and mossies whilst working outdoors
                in my profession. I have to get into shrubbery where wasps nest and
[...]

                around me, frustrated in that they cannot land on me to sup the sweat
[...]

                by a swarm of March flies and a few black bush wasps that had taken up
                residence inside the three sided hut to escape the heat and for shade.
                Again they did not land and bite me.
                I unpacked and set up my bivy under the shade of a tree.

                Coming back inside the hut, the wasp and March flies had disappeared
                which made me curious as to where they could be. I then proceeded to
                spray the Bushman Personal Repellent inside the hut especially the
                walls, sleeping platforms and under the table. Then I sprayed under
                the
                sleeping platform that had lots of cobwebs and it was dark under
                there.
                Well, that got a reaction. Out came the March flies and the few black
                bush wasps very angry. They buzzed me vastly agitated so I gave them
                another burst for good measure whilst in flight. They got the message
                and took off out of the hut never to return whilst I was there.

                Prickly Bark hut

                Prickly Bark campsite

                In the above photo, the gap between the dirt floor and sleeping
                platform
                can be seen where the black bush wasps and March flies had taken
                shelter
                from the heat.

                Giving myself another spray I then went exploring around the campsite
                because I did not want to get another tick bite as the campsite in
                summer is notorious for ticks.

                Returning back to camp I was very sweaty and feeling sticky from the
                spray and sweat so I stripped off and had a good wash using my
                collapsible kitchen sink of 5 litres. Refreshed and with a change of
                clothes I gave myself a very light spray as the sun was starting to
                disappear and mosquitoes were starting their shift.

                I am happy to report that I did not get bitten by the black bush
                wasps,
[...]

                My next purchase will be the smaller spray can of 60 g (2.1 oz) which
                is
                ideal for backpackers who are now becoming very weight conscious with

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
                <andre.corterier@...> wrote:

                > Hi Ralph,
                > it's good to see the photo you added in the review. I also note,
                > however, that some of the later typos are still in the version now
                on
                > the website. (Like "wasp" being used in the singular several times,
                > even though you specifically mention "several" of them earlier.)
                >
                > Would you be so kind as to go over the EDIT again and then repost
                > this list? I assume I'll be able to give formal APPROVAL then. ;-)
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > André
                >
                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton"
                > <rdassetts@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi André,
                > >
                > > Thanks for the edits.
                > >
                > > I cannot believe that I missed simple things. That's why we have
                > Editors I
                > > guess. <g>.
                > >
                > > Copy in test folder has been deleted.
                > >
                > > Got a photo of the back of the can and placed it in the review.
                > >

                > > Cheers
                > >
                > > Ralph

              • André Corterier
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2009
                  <rdassetts@...> wrote:

                  > Hello André,
                  > I am finally back on line after my computer died.
                  > Here is the amended OR for your edification.
                  > The copy in the test folder can be accessed here:
                  > http://tinyurl.com/bznzpd
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Ralph

                  Glad to hear it.

                  > BushMan Personal Insect Repellent
                  > Owner Review By: Ralph Ditton
                  > Date: 27th January, 2009

                  You may want to update that.

                  <snip>
                  > The propellant is a hydrocarbon
                  > compromising

                  ### EDIT: comprised of [or: ... a hydrocarbon mix comprising...]

                  > of a butane/propane mix which are a flammable gaseous alkane.

                  ### EDIT: which are flammable gaseous alkanes.

                  An
                  > alkane
                  > is any saturated aliphatic hydrocarbon with the general formula
                  > CnH2n+2.

                  ### Comment: Thanks for that. ;-)

                  <snip>
                  > Upon sitting down to enjoy a beer, I got bitten on a toe by a March
                  > fly
                  > that had landed on my Croc shoe and crept through one of the little
                  > round hole's

                  ### EDIT: holes

                  on top of the shoe to bite me. Needless to say, I gave my
                  > legs another light spray and had no more trouble.
                  <snip>
                  > Upon reaching the campsite and taking the pack off my back I was
                  > greeted
                  > by a swarm of March flies and a few black bush wasps that had taken
                  up
                  > residence inside the three sided hut to escape the heat and for
                  shade.
                  > Again they did not land and bite me.
                  > I unpacked and set up my bivy under the shade of a tree.
                  >
                  > Coming back inside the hut, the wasp and March flies

                  ### EDIT: wasps

                  had disappeared
                  > which made me curious as to where they could be. I then proceeded to
                  > spray the Bushman Personal Repellent inside the hut especially the
                  > walls, sleeping platforms and under the table. Then I sprayed under
                  > the
                  > sleeping platform that had lots of cobwebs and it was dark under
                  > there.
                  > Well, that got a reaction. Out came the March flies and the few
                  black
                  > bush wasps very angry. They buzzed me vastly agitated so I gave them
                  > another burst for good measure whilst in flight. They got the
                  message
                  > and took off out of the hut never to return whilst I was there.
                  <snip>

                  > The can is left in my work van for ready use during the week as I
                  do
                  > not
                  > spray ever day.

                  ### EDIT: every

                  <snip>

                  Once you've taken care of the above, please upload to the proper
                  folder and delete the test folder version.

                  I may have to get some of that stuff when I'm down under this summer.
                  Unfortunately, I'll be on the other coast (Brisbane) and the budget
                  fairy won't allow a cross-continental fligth. But I hope to be able
                  to extend the (business) trip by a couple of days and get some
                  walking done.

                  André
                  OR Editor
                • Ralph Ditton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 16, 2009
                    Hello André,

                    I have attended to the edits, deleted the test folder version and uploaded.

                    Many thanks for picking out the “wasps” that I missed.

                    It is good stuff so get yourself some.

                    Let me know when you are going to Brisbane and I’ll let my brother know. He
                    has a lovely wine collection that you may wish to sample.

                    Cheers

                    Ralph

                    <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ralph Ditton"
                    <rdassetts@...> wrote:

                    > Hello André,
                    > I am finally back on line after my computer died.
                    > Here is the amended OR for your edification.
                    > The copy in the test folder can be accessed here:
                    > http://tinyurl.com/bznzpd
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Ralph

                    Glad to hear it.