EDIT: Merrell Mesa Ventilator II Mid Mens hiking boot - Mullaly

  • rcaffin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
      EDIT: Merrell Mesa Ventilator II Mid Mens hiking boot - Mullaly

      Hi Andy

      ---------------
      Sorry about the delay in getting this back to you: I posted it to the
      Yahoo Group before Xmas (22nd), but that seems to have disappeared in
      the ether. It isn't the first time this has happened.
      ---------------

      Welcome to BGT. This is a good start. I have some small edits for you
      to fix, and these are listed below. Please do not be offended by the
      terse manner used in spelling out the edits: that's just how I find it
      easiest to list them.

      Reposting
      When you have fixed these matters please REPOST the plain text of your
      OR here on this channel.
      At the same time would you please put the new HTML version in the
      Tests / Owner Reviews folder on BGT. In the future please include the
      URL for the HTML file in the Test folder with your first posting and
      all subsequent ones to make my life easier. It is now a requirement
      that we check the HTML version for various things like a clickable
      manufacturer's URL and some details of the layout before giving
      approval, and it is also a requirement that you provide the URL to
      help us Editors find your file. We are often editing several ORs at a
      time and are easily confused ...

      All Test Reports require photos of the gear. While we do not insist on
      the inclusion of photos in your first Owner Review, we do strongly
      encourage you to do so. Your second Owner Review will require the
      inclusion of photos anyhow. As I am sure you will know, pictures
      convey so much more information when used in conjunction with the
      text. If you have trouble with the pictures, and especially with the
      'ALT' tags, let me know. The problem is well-known and easily fixed.

      Edit Conventions
      Many Editors use the following convention in listing their edits and
      comments:
      EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards,
      Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way,
      Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change
      as a result.
      However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am
      criticising is actually a matter of personal writing style, feel free
      to say so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably
      clear what you mean.

      Mentors
      If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have an excellent
      Mentor program. It was established to help all newcomers through the
      somewhat confusing process of becoming gear testers, and to make sure
      they understand the 'rules'. Mentoring is also available for veteran
      testers who'd like to get some feedback on their test applications or
      test reports. Whatever stage you're at the Mentors are here to help.
      If you'd like a Mentor, please contact the Mentor Coordinator
      (mentor@...) and please include "Mentor Request" in
      your subject line.

      Rules and Regulations
      In addition, you must take some time out to read through our
      Documentation pages to understand just what we are about, and what
      rules there are for our operations. You be required to state that you
      have read these and will comply with them when you apply for a Test.
      These pages are found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php. This is at least the
      second generation of our rules: they have evolved over time, but we
      try to keep them as simple and as plain as possible. If you find any
      problems with them, let us know.

      HTML Creation and Problems
      In some cases when editing the plain text of a review I find problems
      with the layout of the text version. This can happen when an HTML file
      is badly converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem,
      you could consider trying one of the free HTML/text editors such as
      Note Tab Lite: this one has a good conversion tool built in for
      stripping out the html tags to create plain text. Some people who know
      nothing about HTML like the very point-and-click oriented NVU,
      although I don't. It mangles the underlying layout of text and HTML
      tags. Both can be found through Google.

      In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the
      problems may be that you used MS Word to generate the HTML file. We
      have had extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been
      responsible for most of the really bad layout problems I have ever
      seen. In particular it causes untold grief over the inclusion of
      pictures. Also, if you feed a cleaned-up HTML file through Word to fix
      just one small error, Word will usually completely rewrite the HTML
      into a ghastly mess. We strongly discourage you from using MS Word to
      create the HTML! However, if Word is all you have, please save the
      file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web page' or XML. The
      filtering does help improve Word's efforts slightly. But our Report
      Writer is a better option.

      BGT Report Writer
      This is meant to make the process of creating BGT reports and test
      series as friendly as possible. The Report Writer enables the writer
      to create a report without knowing anything about HTML, or having to
      wrestle with workarounds in Word. It will assist you with the
      inclusion of photos as well. Even for those who are fully
      HTML-literate it can be handy. See
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1 for
      further information. It is highly recommended.

      Uploading to BGT
      When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please
      ensure you select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If you require
      assistance with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group,
      BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com. You can access this also via
      upload failure involves a comment about missing <alt> tags, and this
      is usually due to the use of MS Word.

      Tester Agreement
      Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester
      Agreement. Basically, this is an undertaking to play by the rules and
      complete any Test series, or to return the gear if you can't.
      Sometimes things happen, and if you let us know UP FRONT we will
      understand. We do put family needs first. The single most important
      thing here is to COMMUNICATE!
      The agreement can be found at:

      The signed agreement should be forwarded to
      C Carnes
      18 E Earle Street
      Greenville, SC 29609
      USA

      If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester
      Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to
      participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further
      details on this may be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      Applying for Tests
      You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are
      announced: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/ This is
      where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
      -------------------------------
      > MERRELL MESA VENTILATOR II MID
      EDIT: I can't find 'Ventilator II' on the web, just 'Ventilator'. I
      think you should delete the 'II' here and anywhere else, unless you
      can find evidence.

      > BY ANDREW MULLALY
      > ON
      EDIT: last line (ON) should read Owner Review

      > I returned to the hiking/backpacking fold in the last few years after
      Comment: this is OK for now. Later on we would expect some info about
      your hiking style.

      > Other details: (Walnut color) Made from pigskin leather with mesh
      Edit: rather than 'Other Details' we normally use 'Product
      Description'. Your description is a little brief but suffices for shoes.

      > and Vibram soles Size of shoe tested 11 mens.
      EDIT: period after soles.

      > Since I have never worn them under a heavier load I
      > do not know how good of support they would provide,
      EDIT: never ever use 'of' in this manner - it really is bad English.
      You could write something like 'I do not know how well they might
      provide support'.

      > The boots are well ventilated, I almost never notice any major sweat
      Comment: it would be better English to turn the comma into a period as
      thr sentence goes on afterwards.

      > are well designed for their purpose, keeping your feet cool on hot
      EDIT: in general do not use 'you' or 'your' at all. We always write in
      the first person.

      > Both times I wasn't hiking, just using the boot for a walking about
      shoe.
      Comment: it would be slightly better English to write 'the boots for
      walking about shoes', but no matter.

      > I would recommend these boots to anyone looking for a lightweight,
      warm weather boot.
      Edit: We prefer to keep it in the first person rather than try to tell
      someone else what to do. You just don't kniow what the other person
      might need.

      > (Note: it seems that Merrell no longer makes the
      > Mesa Ventilated II, but has replaced the boot with the Moab
      > Ventilated. From all appearances the two boots are extremely similar
      > and I would expect the same results.)
      Comment: this comment is essential as we prefer to not review gear
      which is no longer available. However, the Ventilator is still
      available retail, so that's OK.
      EDIT: Mesa Ventilator, not Ventilated
      EDIT: it's 'Moab Ventilator Mid'.
    • Andy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
        Thanks for the response. I'll through the edits and post the revised
        copy shortly.

        Andy

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "rcaffin" <r.caffin@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > further information. It is highly recommended.
        >
        > Uploading to BGT
        > When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please
        > ensure you select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If you require
        > assistance with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group,
        > BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com You can access this also via
        > upload failure involves a comment about missing <alt> tags, and this
        > is usually due to the use of MS Word.
        >
        > Tester Agreement
        > Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester
        > Agreement. Basically, this is an undertaking to play by the rules
        and
        > complete any Test series, or to return the gear if you can't.
        > Sometimes things happen, and if you let us know UP FRONT we will
        > understand. We do put family needs first. The single most important
        20Agreement%20Docs/BGT%20Agreement%20Apr08.doc

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2009
          Thanks for the edits/comments. Hopefully the following irons out the
          kinks. I'll post the html also.

          I looked around the web and found the following links to the Merrell
          Ventilator II Mid hiking boot (plus it actually says that in my boot.)

          http://www.shoebuy.com/merrell-mesa-ventilator-ii-mid/141772

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Merrell%20Mesa%
          20II%20Ventilator%20Hiking/Owner%20Review%20by%20Kara%20Stanley/
          (this one is actually a review of the woman's version of this boot)

          http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/merrell-mesa-ventilator-ii-mid-hiking-
          boots--mens

          Here is the edited review:

          MERRELL MESA VENTILATOR II MID
          BY ANDREW MULLALY
          OR
          December 08, 2008

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Andrew Mullaly
          EMAIL: apmullaly@...
          AGE: 39
          LOCATION: San Diego, CA, USA
          GENDER: m
          HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
          WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

          I returned to the hiking/backpacking fold in the last few years after
          being an avid hiker as a youth. My two sons are Cub scouts and are
          increasingly interested in hiking/backpacking and as an Assistant
          Cubmaster I tend to lead the group hikes. We are currently training
          up for longer backpacking trips, by taking 3 to 6 mile (4.8 to 9.7k)
          hikes.

          PRODUCT INFORMATION

          Manufacturer: Merrell
          Year of Manufacture: 2006
          Manufacturer's Website: http://www.merrell.com
          MSRP: US$ 80
          Listed Weight: 34 oz (960 g)
          Measured Weight: 32 oz (907 g)
          Product Description: (Walnut color) The Mesa Ventilator II is a mid-
          rise, mid-weight hiking boot. The boot's upper is pigskin leather
          with mesh windows for venting. Has an Air cushion midsole, ventilated
          gusseted tongue, nylon injection molded arch shank, toe bumper and
          Vibram soles. Size of shoe tested is 11 mens.
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "side view">>

          FIELD USE

          I originally bought these warm weather boots on a trip to Colorado in
          March 2006. I was looking for a lightweight pair of hiking boots
          that would provide some stability on the trails that I hiked while in
          Colorado Springs. From the moment I put them on, the Mesa
          Ventilators were comfortable and I have never gotten a blister or hot
          spot despite a large number of hikes since I purchased them. There
          was never a "break in" period.

          I have worn the boots both on a day to day basis (like I said they
          are very comfortable) and on approximately 20 day hikes since I
          purchased them. The average length of those hikes is 3 - 5 miles
          (4.5 - 8 kilometers) and I typically carry a small hydration pack or
          larger bookbag sized daypack. I would say the weight carried is
          never more than 5-7 pounds (2.27 - 3.18 kilos). The boots have
          provided excellent traction and have worn well (the treads almost
          look brand new). Since I have never worn them under a heavier load I
          do not know how much support they would provide if I was carrying a
          pack. But then again, they are designed for lightweight warm
          weather hiking which is the normal weather condition in San Diego and
          how I use them, so it's never been a problem.

          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "front view">>

          The boots are well ventilated, I almost never notice any major sweat
          buildup; not even when I climbed Cowles Mountain on a 110F (43C)
          degree day. (Cowles Mountain is the tallest spot in San Diego city
          limits, and is only a moderate climb for any average hiker: 3.0 mile
          (4.5 kilometer) roundtrip, 950' (290 m) elevation gain). The boots
          are well designed for their purpose, having kept my feet relatively
          cool even on hot days.

          In Southern California there is rarely an opportunity to see how gear
          holds up when wet. It just doesn't rain enough. However, on two
          separate occasions I have worn them during light to moderate rain
          fall (approximately 3/4" (1.9 c) over a matter of hours). While the
          exterior of the boot got rather wet, the interior remained mostly dry
          and the boots dried out quickly afterwords (within a few hours of
          continued hiking). Neither time did my feet suffer from the boot
          remaining wet, the ventilation seemed to do a good job of helping dry
          the boot out.

          I have worn them twice in the snow. Both times I wasn't hiking, just
          using the boot for a walking about shoe. Neither time did I notice
          much water seepage, but from my experience in the rain I would not
          trust the boot to stay water proof. (I did waterproof them myself
          for some additional protection.) Merrell does not contend that the
          boot is waterproof, I only comment in case anyone is curious.

          The boots provide good traction when climbing boulders. The soles
          have deep well defined treads that grab well.

          Despite moderate to heavy use, the boots have held up well with no
          loose threads, gussets or rubber at the sole. In fact I have only
          changed the laces once.

          SUMMARY

          When these boots wear out I would have no qualms about buying another
          pair. (Note: it seems that Merrell no longer makes the Mesa
          Ventilator II, but has replaced the boot with the Moab Ventilator.
          From all appearances the two boots are extremely similar and I would
          expect the same results.)

          THINGS I LIKE

          Good quality
          decent price
          comfortable
          wears well

          THINGS I DON'T LIKE

          Not designed to be waterproof (more a comment than criticism).

          SIGNATURE

          Andy Mullaly;
          www.rsdpack391.webs.com

          Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
        • Roger Caffin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2009
            Hi Andy

            At this stage in the edit cycle you need to post the HTML version as well,
            in the Test/OR folder at BGT.
            When you have done so, please post a note here alerting me to this and
            including the URL to the review.

            Cheers
            Roger Caffin
            BGT Editor
          • Andy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2009
              Roger. Sorry I must have messed up the first time I uploaded the html
              version it never appeared. I did it again right now. Here is the
              tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/8on5sg

              Thanks for all the follow up.

              Andy

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin" <r.caffin@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Andy
              >
              > At this stage in the edit cycle you need to post the HTML version as
              well,
              > in the Test/OR folder at BGT.
              > When you have done so, please post a note here alerting me to this
              and
              > including the URL to the review.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Roger Caffin
              > BGT Editor

            • rcaffin
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 16, 2009
                EDIT: Merrell Mesa Ventilator II Mid Mens hiking boot - Mullaly

                Hi Andy

                OK on the 'Ventilator II' - I am convinced.

                I have some edits below for small nits. But the thing which concerns
                me a bit more is that the review is still very short on detail. In
                part, this is because it is your first OR and you don't have a lot of
                experience in knowing what can be said. This is a statement of fact,
                not a criticism.

                Things you should consider adding to the review, and which I as a
                reader would love to know about:

                * How well does the lacing work?
                * Can you feel the laces, or is the tongue padded well enough?
                * Does the rim rub your feet in any place?
                * What sort of footbed do the shoes come with? (style, thickness, etc)
                * How stiff are the soles? (hard to describe, I know)
                * Picture of the sole of the shoe, showing lugs?
                * How many miles had the shoes done when the photos were taken?

                If you don't have a mentor, you should consider enrolling with them
                and getting one. The details are in the last EDIT I posted. We really
                do encourage the use of the mentor program.

                Cheers
                Roger Caffin
                BGT Editor
                ----------------------
                > BY ANDREW MULLALY
                Edit: We recommend deleting the 'BY' as it is entirely superfluous.

                > OR
                EDIT: change to 'Owner Review'

                > December 08, 2008
                EDIT: You need to change this to reflect the final date of posting.

                > Product Description: (Walnut color) The Mesa Ventilator II is a mid-
                > rise, mid-weight hiking boot. The boot's upper is pigskin leather
                > with mesh windows for venting. Has an Air cushion midsole, ventilated
                > gusseted tongue, nylon injection molded arch shank, toe bumper and
                > Vibram soles. Size of shoe tested is 11 mens.
                EDIT: this reads exactly like a quote from someone's web site. If it
                is actually your words entirely, my apologies, but in that case it
                needs expanding a bit into English, so we know it is your words.
                Otherwise, assuming it is a quote: we don't mind some quotation, that
                is NOT the purpose of this section. We want YOUR description of the
                product, not some waffle from the spin doctors.

                > The average length of those hikes is 3 - 5 miles (4.5 - 8 kilometers)
                Comment: you are consistent in your use of 'miles' and 'kilometers',
                so that is OK. Most of us would use 'm' and 'km', but there is room
                for confusion here between mile and meter. Leave as is.

                > not even when I climbed Cowles Mountain on a 110F (43C)
                EDIT: spaces needed: 110 F (43 C)

                > (approximately 3/4" (1.9 c) over a matter of hours).
                EDIT: 1.9 cm, although 19 mm might be better.

                > From all appearances the two boots are extremely similar and I would
                > expect the same results.)
                EDIT: I agree, but we try very hard to avoid 'projection': talking
                about things we do not KNOW from first hand experience. Delete second
                half of sentence, to leave:
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 30, 2009
                  Roger:

                  First, sorry this took so long to get folowed up on. Things got a
                  litle busy in the "real world."

                  Hopefully this is better. Some of the original draft was a little
                  too "just the facts, maam." I tried to inject a little more
                  personality this time and think I hit all the other topics you
                  mentioned.

                  I can't figure out how to change the OR to owner review, Its
                  automaticaly put there by the report writer and I don't see where I
                  can change it.

                  Thanks again for all the follow up.

                  Here is the new text: (and the html)

                  http://tinyurl.com/cnfeme

                  MERRELL MESA VENTILATOR II MID
                  ANDREW MULLALY
                  OR

                  January 30, 2009

                  TESTER INFORMATION

                  NAME: Andrew Mullaly
                  EMAIL: apmullaly@...
                  AGE: 39
                  LOCATION: San Diego, CA, USA
                  GENDER: m
                  HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
                  WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

                  As a kid we spent every summer (and parts of each spring and fall)
                  camping--mostly car camping, but hey what did I know. We also spent
                  just about every weekend hiking (I thought it was fun, but my dad
                  probably liked it because it was cheap). I returned to the
                  hiking/backpacking fold in the last few years after being an avid
                  hiker as a youth. My two sons are Cub scouts and are increasingly
                  interested in hiking/backpacking and as an Assistant Cubmaster I tend
                  to lead the group hikes. We are currently training up for longer
                  backpacking trips, by taking 3 to 6 mile (4.8 to 9.7k) hikes.

                  PRODUCT INFORMATION

                  Manufacturer: Merrell
                  Year of Manufacture: 2006
                  Manufacturer's Website: http://www.merrell.com
                  MSRP: US$ 90
                  Listed Weight: 34 oz (960 g)
                  Measured Weight: 32 oz (907 g)
                  Product Description: The manufacturer describes my version of the
                  Mesa Ventilator II as Walnut, but to the untrained eye they look to
                  be a light gray-brown with silvery-gray accents. The boot itself is
                  a mid rise-mid weight boot, the ankle support is slightly lower in
                  the back than the front (5.5 in - 6.25 in [139.7 mm - 158.7 mm]).
                  The silver-gray accent panels seem to be what gives the boot the
                  Ventilator name because they are a waffle weave that presumably
                  allows the shoe to breathe. The boots' vibram soles are more
                  aggressive than a tennis shoe, but do not have the deep lug of
                  heavier duty boots. The total height of the tread is 2/3 in. (16.7
                  mm) The laces run through a series of woven loops (4 to a side) and
                  then through a closed metal clasp with a final hook clasp at the
                  top. The front of the boot is sealed with a rubber toe bumper. The
                  manufacturer says the upper is pig leather, but since I didn't see
                  the pig myself I couldn't prove it was true. My shoe is an 11, but
                  as far as I know they make this shoe in lots of sizes (maybe even
                  yours.)
                  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "side view">>

                  FIELD USE

                  I originally bought these warm weather boots on a trip to Colorado in
                  March 2006. I tried on a wide variety of boots, but I was looking
                  for something that would provide some support to my ankles (which
                  occasionally decide that a quick painful twist is the order of the
                  day.) I hadn't worn a high top shoe in years besides some 8 hole Dr.
                  Martens and didn't want a heavy sheath around my leg. I decided that
                  the mid level (high enough to give me some ankle support, but not so
                  high that the boot was scratching my knee) was the way to go. Little
                  did I know that buying new hiking boots was going to put the hiking
                  bug back into my craw.

                  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "front view">>

                  The first thing I noticed about these boots was the way they laced
                  up. I've always been partial to eyelets on my shoes, especially
                  eyelets with metal inserts. For some reason they have always felt
                  sturdier to me, less likely to break. These shoes did not have
                  eyelets. For a minute or two I was worried, would the small loops
                  break under strain? There was no need to worry, the lace loops have
                  held up for at least 100 miles (160 km) of hiking and dozens of other
                  days of general use without any sign of strain. The top two "loops"
                  are a bronze color metal riveted to the shoe. The lower one is a
                  closed clasp and the upper is a hook. The two upper metal loops
                  allow the shoelaces to be tugged tightly without straining the lower
                  loops. I like my shoes tied snugly with a double knot on top and
                  this system works well.

                  The tongue of the boot is sewn to the upper by more of the ventilated
                  material up to the last lace loop. This keeps the tongue straight
                  with minimal need to readjust as the boot is tied. The tongue itself
                  is padded from the middle of the foot to the top of the boot. The
                  padding tapers as it descends into the boot. Like most padded
                  tongues I have found that they need to be straight to avoid
                  discomfort; the sewn webbing helps that considerably. The tongue has
                  never irritated me (something which occasionally happens with a pair
                  of skating tennis shoes I own) no matter how long I've been hiking.

                  Contrary to the best advice of every shoe guru in the history of man,
                  the shoes had no break in time at all. Not more than thirty minutes
                  after purchase I was hiking the relatively flat trails of the Valley
                  of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Watching my kids enjoy themselves
                  among the dirt and nature reminded me of what I liked to do when I
                  was their age, get out and explore. Luckily, I picked a good pair of
                  shoes to start my hiking again, I didn't get a single hot spot or
                  blister despite the zero break in time and to date the only problems
                  I have ever had was after an 8 mile (12.8 km) night hike with 800'
                  (243.8 m) elevation gain (where I got to carry my six year old for
                  the last mile or so, the poor little guy was done). After that
                  unusual hike, the tips of my big toes were a tad sore from rubbing
                  against the toe bumper, but I think it was do the added stress of
                  carrying 55 lbs (25 kg) of unbalanced weight on my shoulders.

                  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "sole">>

                  The soles tread is a little more aggressive than your normal cross-
                  training tennis shoe, but not as aggressive as many heavier duty
                  boots. As you can see in the above picture there is very little
                  tread wear (just a tiny bit in the middle of the ball of the foot)
                  despite over 100 miles of hiking. I tend to be very easy on my
                  shoes. I am one of those lucky people who tread evenly across the
                  shoe with no tendency of wearing down any party abnormally. The sole
                  itself is flexible. I am easily able to bend the toe back to the top
                  of the laces without any apparent stress to the boot.

                  I have worn the boots both on a day to day basis (like I said they
                  are very comfortable) and on approximately 20 day hikes since I
                  purchased them. The average length of those hikes is 3 - 5 miles
                  (4.5 - 8 km) and I typically carry a small hydration pack or larger
                  bookbag sized daypack. I would say the weight carried is never more
                  than 5 - 7 lbs (2.27 - 3.18 kg). The boots have provided excellent
                  traction and have worn well (the treads almost look brand new).
                  Since I have never worn them under a heavier load I do not know how
                  much support they would provide if I was carrying a pack. But then
                  again, they are designed for lightweight warm weather hiking which is
                  the normal weather condition in San Diego and how I use them, so it's
                  never been a problem.

                  The boots are well ventilated, I almost never notice any major sweat
                  buildup; not even when I climbed Cowles Mountain on a 110 F (43 C)
                  degree day. (Cowles Mountain is the tallest spot in San Diego city
                  limits, and is only a moderate climb for any average hiker: 3.0 mile
                  (4.5 km) roundtrip, 950' (290 m) elevation gain). I used to wear
                  cotton socks (I know, I know 22 demerits) but even then did not have
                  many problems with the dreaded sweaty feet. The boots are well
                  designed for their purpose, having kept my feet relatively cool even
                  on hot days.

                  In Southern California there is rarely an opportunity to see how gear
                  holds up when wet. It just doesn't rain enough. However, on two
                  separate occasions I have worn them during light to moderate rain
                  fall (approximately 3/4" (19 mm) over a matter of hours). While the
[...]

                  From all appearances the two boots are extremely similar.)