Revision- OR1- SureFire E1L Outdoorsman Flashlight- Darren C Brittain

  • lighten_ur_load
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2009
      SUREFIRE E1L OUTDOORSMAN FLASHLIGHT
      BY DARREN C BRITTAIN
      OR
      January 04, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Darren C Brittain
      EMAIL: dcbrittain@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Rock Hill, S.C.
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 185 lb (83.90 kg)

      My backpacking career began when I joined the Boy Scouts and
      continues on through today almost 21 years later. My style has
      changed over the years, as I have gotten older. I used to see how
      much stuff I could fit into my pack which would tip the scales at 45
      or so pounds. Now I weigh each piece of gear and decide if it is
      really worth it. I am a soloist with a quasi-minimalist type
      attitude typically carrying a 15-19lb pack for a 4 day hike. I have
      spent my backpacking career in the states of South Carolina, North
      Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, and Tennessee from the coastal regions
      to mountains in every season.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: SureFire
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.surefire.com/E1L-Outdoorsman
      MSRP: US$129.00
      Listed Weight: 2.8oz (79 g) including batteries
      Measured Weight: 2.8 oz (79 g) including batteries
      Other details:Details taken from Manufacturers Website: Ultra compact
      (finger length), dual-output mini LED flashlight with extended
      runtime. Its virtually indestructible, two-stage light-emitting diode
      (LED) light source produces a smooth, pre-focused beam that, at
      maximum output, is over twice as bright as that of a big two-D-cell
      flashlight. At its low setting it produces a useful three lumens of
      light and continues producing useful light levels for 40 hours on a
      single lithium battery. Small size (it's lightweight enough to clip
      to hat brim for hands-free operation), dual output, extended runtime,
      and 10-year battery shelf life make the E1L perfect for camping,
      backpacking, travel, emergency/disaster preparedness kits, or as an
      everyday-carry for general use. Manufacturers stock picture.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "SureFire
      E1L Outdoorsman">>

      SPECIFICATIONS

      Max Output:
      High: 45 lumens
      Low: 3 lumens Improved
      Performance
      Runtime:
      High: 8.5 hours
      Low: 48 hours Improved
      Performance
      Bezel Diameter: 1.0 inch (2.54cm)
      Length: 4.0 inches (10.16cm)
      Weight: 2.8 ounces (79g)

      FIELD USE

      This flashlight is an essential piece of gear due to the weight being
      only 2.8 ounces including batteries. It lends itself to perform dual
      duties in the wilderness. It can be used as a handheld flashlight
      when around camp or one could clip it to a hat brim (with the
      provided clip) when cooking or performing a task requiring both
      hands. One good feature is the dual beam intensities which allow for
      minimal battery consumption on the low power setting, but offers an
      almost blinding intensity on the high power setting. The tailcap
      switch provides a momentary on-off feature or a constant on-off
      feature. This is really useful for conserving battery power. The
      tailcap switch provides a lockout to prevent accidental activation
      during transport or storage
      The flashlight has been used on a variety of trips some of which
      include:
      1. North Carolina Mountains-
      -weekend backpacking trip-3 days/ 2 nights
      -season: Winter (January): temperatures- night-low 30's
      daytime-mid 50's
      -climate- dry
      2.Charleston Coastal/ Inland Area
      -weekend backpacking trip- 3 days/ 2 nights
      -season: Summer (August): temperatures- night- low 80's
      daytime- high 90's
      -climate: humid- overnight rain storms

      SUMMARY

      This is a great little bombproof light that should be a welcome
      addition to any backpacker's essential gear list. The versitility of
      the SureFire E1L is staggering as is the high power brightness.
      Combined with the ruggedness and low weight it makes for a complete
      package for any backpacker especially one looking to save weight.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Light Weight- at 2.8 oz including the batteries you won't even know
      it is there.
      High Intensity- So bright you will be amazed!
      Rugged aerospace-grade aluminum body
      Switch lockout prevents accidental activation during transport or
      storage

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Battery Failure-
      This flashlight does not "wind down" like most incandescent lights
      thereby letting the user know the battery is getting weak. When the
      E1L gets near the end of battery life it simply shuts off.
      Always carry a spare battery.

      Non-Focusable Beam

      SIGNATURE

      Darren C Brittain

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2009
        Hello Darren,

        Welcome to BGT. Before I can accept your review into the Edit Queue,
        I need you to give an estimate regardin the number of nights you have
        used this light. If you could clarify your total use in the sentence
        below by adding your estimate then reposting the REVISED version to
        the list we will be able to move forward. Thanks.
        Jamie D
        Edit Admin Manager