Re: Mentor advice for first report

  • lorijohnson72
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
      I started off by emailing a mentor with this question. They
      responded and suggested I send the question via email through the
      Yahoo group and an editor would respond. ???

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark McLauchlin" <mark@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Lori,
      >

      > I suggest the below;
      >

      > The Apprentice/Mentor program pairs someone interested in becoming
      a tester
      > with BackpackGearTest.org with a Veteran tester who volunteers his
      or her
      > time to help the new person learn the ropes. If you would like
      someone to
      > personally help you become a tester, just send an email to
      > mentor@... and ask for one. Include MENTOR REQUEST in the
      > subject line of your message. Be sure to give your name. A mentor
      will
      > contact you as soon as possible by email and give you guidance and
      answer
      > your questions. You should read the Survival
      > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SG&page=1>
      Guide so that
      > you understand what it will take to become a tester.
      >
      > The Apprentice/Mentor program is strictly voluntary. If you are
      comfortable
      > following the documentation on your own, you can certainly do
      that. If you
      > want additional help, though, be aware that we are ready to help
      you.

      > A Mentor Will:
      >
      > 1. Explain the report writing process and answer any questions
      you may
      > have.
      > 2. Direct you to appropriate documentation.
      > 3. Read your Owner Reviews and make helpful suggestions.
      > 4. Assist you with any problems you may have in the process.
      > 5. Read your Applications and offer hints and suggestions.
      > 6. Read your Initial Report when you are selected for testing,
      and make
      > suggestions.
      >
      > A Mentor Will Not:
      >
      > 1. Do any of your work or any writing for you.
      >

      > _____

    • Mark McLauchlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        Great,

        Ok so you did get a response to your question then, go with Ed's suggestion
        below.

        Pick something that is your favorite piece of hiking gear, this will make
        writing about it a lot easier.

        If you get stuck, email the mentor group and you will be assigned someone to
        work with you. I can see from the database no one is working with you as
        yet.

        Cheers

        Mark

        "Hello,

        Although numbers of backpackers (myself included) are also keen
        paddlers, kayaks and canoes are generally outside the focus of what
        is, after all, a site devoted to backpacking reviews. The only
        exceptions are for small, packable watercraft. Paddles are,
        unfortunately, outside our remit. I would certainly review my favorite
        were that not so!

        Best,

        Edward

        Senior Edit Moderator"

        _____

        --- In BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
        wrote:

        > Hi Lori,
        >

        > I suggest the below;
        >

        > The Apprentice/Mentor program pairs someone interested in becoming
        a tester
        > with BackpackGearTest.org with a Veteran tester who volunteers his
        or her
        > time to help the new person learn the ropes. If you would like
        someone to
        > personally help you become a tester, just send an email to
        > mentor@... and ask for one. Include MENTOR REQUEST in the
        > subject line of your message. Be sure to give your name. A mentor
        will
        > contact you as soon as possible by email and give you guidance and
        answer
        > your questions. You should read the Survival
        > <http://www.backpack
        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SG&page=1>
        geartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SG&page=1>
        Guide so that
        > you understand what it will take to become a tester.
        >
        > The Apprentice/Mentor program is strictly voluntary. If you are
        comfortable
        > following the documentation on your own, you can certainly do
        that. If you
        > want additional help, though, be aware that we are ready to help
        you.

        > A Mentor Will:
        >
        > 1. Explain the report writing process and answer any questions
        you may
        > have.
        > 2. Direct you to appropriate documentation.
        > 3. Read your Owner Reviews and make helpful suggestions.
        > 4. Assist you with any problems you may have in the process.
        > 5. Read your Applications and offer hints and suggestions.
        > 6. Read your Initial Report when you are selected for testing,
        and make
        > suggestions.
        >
        > A Mentor Will Not:
        >
        > 1. Do any of your work or any writing for you.
        >

        > _____
        >
        > From: BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2009
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "lorijohnson72" <lsalley@...>
          wrote:

          > I started off by emailing a mentor with this question. They
          > responded and suggested I send the question via email through the
          > Yahoo group and an editor would respond. ???

          Hi Lori,

          You were pointed here because the Mentor Coordinator does not make
          decisions as to the acceptability of an item to review. That is made
          here by Ted or Jerry.

          But she will hook you up with someone to help once you do find
          something to write about...

          Ray
          (a mentor)