RE: [BackpackGearTest] Mentor advice for first report

  • Mark McLauchlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
      Hi Lori,

      I suggest the below;

      The Apprentice/Mentor program pairs someone interested in becoming a tester
      with BackpackGearTest.org with a Veteran tester who volunteers his or her
      time to help the new person learn the ropes. If you would like someone to
      personally help you become a tester, just send an email to
      mentor@... and ask for one. Include MENTOR REQUEST in the
      subject line of your message. Be sure to give your name. A mentor will
      contact you as soon as possible by email and give you guidance and answer
      your questions. You should read the Survival
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SG&page=1> Guide so that
      you understand what it will take to become a tester.

      The Apprentice/Mentor program is strictly voluntary. If you are comfortable
      following the documentation on your own, you can certainly do that. If you
      want additional help, though, be aware that we are ready to help you.

      A Mentor Will:

      1. Explain the report writing process and answer any questions you may
      have.
      2. Direct you to appropriate documentation.
      3. Read your Owner Reviews and make helpful suggestions.
      4. Assist you with any problems you may have in the process.
      5. Read your Applications and offer hints and suggestions.
      6. Read your Initial Report when you are selected for testing, and make
      suggestions.

      A Mentor Will Not:

      1. Do any of your work or any writing for you.

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        I started off by emailing a mentor with this question. They
        responded and suggested I send the question via email through the
        Yahoo group and an editor would respond. ???

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark McLauchlin" <mark@...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
          Great,

          Ok so you did get a response to your question then, go with Ed's suggestion
          below.

          Pick something that is your favorite piece of hiking gear, this will make
          writing about it a lot easier.

          If you get stuck, email the mentor group and you will be assigned someone to
          work with you. I can see from the database no one is working with you as
          yet.

          Cheers

          Mark

          "Hello,

          Although numbers of backpackers (myself included) are also keen
          paddlers, kayaks and canoes are generally outside the focus of what
          is, after all, a site devoted to backpacking reviews. The only
          exceptions are for small, packable watercraft. Paddles are,
          unfortunately, outside our remit. I would certainly review my favorite
          were that not so!

          Best,

          Edward

          Senior Edit Moderator"

          _____

          --- In BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
          wrote:

          > Hi Lori,
          >

          > I suggest the below;
          >

          > The Apprentice/Mentor program pairs someone interested in becoming
          a tester
          > with BackpackGearTest.org with a Veteran tester who volunteers his
          or her
          > time to help the new person learn the ropes. If you would like
          someone to
          > personally help you become a tester, just send an email to
          > mentor@... and ask for one. Include MENTOR REQUEST in the
          > subject line of your message. Be sure to give your name. A mentor
          will
          > contact you as soon as possible by email and give you guidance and
          answer
          > your questions. You should read the Survival
          > <http://www.backpack
          <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SG&page=1>
          geartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SG&page=1>
          Guide so that
          > you understand what it will take to become a tester.
          >
          > The Apprentice/Mentor program is strictly voluntary. If you are
          comfortable
          > following the documentation on your own, you can certainly do
          that. If you
          > want additional help, though, be aware that we are ready to help
          you.

          > A Mentor Will:
          >
          > 1. Explain the report writing process and answer any questions
          you may
          > have.
          > 2. Direct you to appropriate documentation.
          > 3. Read your Owner Reviews and make helpful suggestions.
          > 4. Assist you with any problems you may have in the process.
          > 5. Read your Applications and offer hints and suggestions.
          > 6. Read your Initial Report when you are selected for testing,
          and make
          > suggestions.
          >
          > A Mentor Will Not:
          >
          > 1. Do any of your work or any writing for you.
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com

        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2009
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "lorijohnson72" <lsalley@...>
            wrote:

            > I started off by emailing a mentor with this question. They
            > responded and suggested I send the question via email through the
            > Yahoo group and an editor would respond. ???

            Hi Lori,

            You were pointed here because the Mentor Coordinator does not make
            decisions as to the acceptability of an item to review. That is made
            here by Ted or Jerry.

            But she will hook you up with someone to help once you do find
            something to write about...

            Ray
            (a mentor)