Mentor advice for first report

  • lorijohnson72
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
      I am about to write my first of the two required reports. The website
      suggests getting mentor advice on whether or not a certain item is
      germain to the subject of backpacking. I have a very valuable
      experience with kayaking paddles I'd like to report on. My husband and
      I like to paddle in to places and then backpack, but I don't see this
      as an item already reported on in the reviews. Can you please advise
      on if I should write about this item? Thank you.
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
        Hello,

        Although numbers of backpackers (myself included) are also keen
        paddlers, kayaks and canoes are generally outside the focus of what
        is, after all, a site devoted to backpacking reviews. The only
        exceptions are for small, packable watercraft. Paddles are,
        unfortunately, outside our remit. I would certainly review my favorite
        were that not so!

        Best,

        Edward

        Senior Edit Moderator

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "lorijohnson72" <lsalley@...>
        wrote:

        > I am about to write my first of the two required reports. The website
        > suggests getting mentor advice on whether or not a certain item is
        > germain to the subject of backpacking. I have a very valuable
        > experience with kayaking paddles I'd like to report on. My husband and
        > I like to paddle in to places and then backpack, but I don't see this
        > as an item already reported on in the reviews. Can you please advise
        > on if I should write about this item? Thank you.

      • Mark McLauchlin
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2008
          Hi Lori,

          I suggest the below;

          The Apprentice/Mentor program pairs someone interested in becoming a tester
          with BackpackGearTest.org with a Veteran tester who volunteers his or her
          time to help the new person learn the ropes. If you would like someone to
          personally help you become a tester, just send an email to
          mentor@... and ask for one. Include MENTOR REQUEST in the
          subject line of your message. Be sure to give your name. A mentor will
          contact you as soon as possible by email and give you guidance and answer
          your questions. You should read the Survival
          <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SG&page=1> Guide so that
          you understand what it will take to become a tester.

          The Apprentice/Mentor program is strictly voluntary. If you are comfortable
          following the documentation on your own, you can certainly do that. If you
          want additional help, though, be aware that we are ready to help you.

          A Mentor Will:

          1. Explain the report writing process and answer any questions you may
          have.
          2. Direct you to appropriate documentation.
          3. Read your Owner Reviews and make helpful suggestions.
          4. Assist you with any problems you may have in the process.
          5. Read your Applications and offer hints and suggestions.
          6. Read your Initial Report when you are selected for testing, and make
          suggestions.

          A Mentor Will Not:

          1. Do any of your work or any writing for you.

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
            I started off by emailing a mentor with this question. They
            responded and suggested I send the question via email through the
            Yahoo group and an editor would respond. ???

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark McLauchlin" <mark@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
              Great,

              Ok so you did get a response to your question then, go with Ed's suggestion
              below.

              Pick something that is your favorite piece of hiking gear, this will make
              writing about it a lot easier.

              If you get stuck, email the mentor group and you will be assigned someone to
              work with you. I can see from the database no one is working with you as
              yet.

              Cheers

              Mark

              --- In BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
              wrote:

              > Hi Lori,
              >

              > I suggest the below;
              >

              > The Apprentice/Mentor program pairs someone interested in becoming
              a tester
              > with BackpackGearTest.org with a Veteran tester who volunteers his
              or her
              > time to help the new person learn the ropes. If you would like
              someone to
              > personally help you become a tester, just send an email to
              > mentor@... and ask for one. Include MENTOR REQUEST in the
              > subject line of your message. Be sure to give your name. A mentor
              will
              > contact you as soon as possible by email and give you guidance and
              answer
              > your questions. You should read the Survival
              > <http://www.backpack
              <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SG&page=1>
              geartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SG&page=1>
              Guide so that
              > you understand what it will take to become a tester.
              >
              > The Apprentice/Mentor program is strictly voluntary. If you are
              comfortable
              > following the documentation on your own, you can certainly do
              that. If you
              > want additional help, though, be aware that we are ready to help
              you.

              > A Mentor Will:
              >
              > 1. Explain the report writing process and answer any questions
              you may
              > have.
              > 2. Direct you to appropriate documentation.
              > 3. Read your Owner Reviews and make helpful suggestions.
              > 4. Assist you with any problems you may have in the process.
              > 5. Read your Applications and offer hints and suggestions.
              > 6. Read your Initial Report when you are selected for testing,
              and make
              > suggestions.
              >
              > A Mentor Will Not:
              >
              > 1. Do any of your work or any writing for you.
              >

              > _____
              >
              > From: BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com

            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2009
                wrote:

                > I started off by emailing a mentor with this question. They
                > responded and suggested I send the question via email through the
                > Yahoo group and an editor would respond. ???

                Hi Lori,

                You were pointed here because the Mentor Coordinator does not make
                decisions as to the acceptability of an item to review. That is made
                here by Ted or Jerry.

                But she will hook you up with someone to help once you do find
                something to write about...

                Ray
                (a mentor)