OWNER REVIEW -- Salomon Techamphibian Sandals

  • Hollis Luzecky
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2008
      Salomon Techamphibian Sandals

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Hollis Luzecky
      Age: 30
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 9" (1.5 Meters)
      Weight: 150 Pounds (67 Kilograms)
      Email address: greengirlhollis@...
      City, State, Country: Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.
      Date: July 22, 2007

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking almost 15 years ago,
      mostly taking weekend trips. I have done a few one to two weeks
      trips. I enjoy weekend and weeklong kayaking trips as well; so
      waterproof (or waterproofing) my gear is essential. I like my gear
      to be as light as possible, but depending on the terrain I don't
      always carry the lightest pack. I normally hike in hilly, rocky
      terrain, but also across creeks and marshy terrain. I am a four-
      season hiker, encountering rain, snow, wind gusts, extreme heat, and
      freezing temperatures. I rarely hike in hard mountainous terrain.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Solomon
      Size: 8.5 (Fits true to size)
      Material: Synthetic textile
      Manufacturer Description: The Salomon Women's Techamphibian blurs
      the line between sandal and shoe. It protects your feet like a shoe,
      but drains water like a sandal. The synthetic mesh upper and Quickfit
      lacing won't absorb water, so you don't have to carry around extra
      weight while your shoes dry. An adjustable, convertible heel folds
      out of the way when you need a slip-on for a quick jaunt out of your
      tent in the middle of the night. Built for professional river guides,
      canyoneers, and adventure racers who make frequent transitions
      between wet and dry environments, the sticky Contagrip sole gives you
      traction over variable terrain.
      Length of Ownership: 5 years

      Owner Review

      I can't say enough good things about these shoes. I have owned these
      shoes for 5 years (finally just bought a new pair a month ago) and
      they are incredibly durable. I replaced the insole after two years,
      but the shoe itself has held up tremendously. I wear these shoes
      almost daily in the summer, not just for backpacking. The mesh sides
      make them very cool and keep your feet from sweating. I take them
      with me on every trip. For easy hiking, I will wear them over 5-8
      miles/day even with a 25lb. pack. On rougher or steeper terrain I
      will hike in my Solomon hiking shoes and take the Techamphibians
      along for water crossings and as camp shoes. They will dry in about
      two hours if you remove the insole. The treads leave you sure-footed
      crossing rivers, as well as on rocky, uneven terrain. The treads are
      finally starting to wear too much for lengthy or rocky hikes, but
      they still make great camp shoes. I use them as camp shoes even in
      cool, fall weather with a heavier sock. Because the heel folds down
      flat, you can slip them on around camp or when getting out of your
      tent.

      I have a very narrow foot and find these shoes are extremely well
      fitting and comfortable with both thin and heavy socks. The light,
      mesh upper allows them be synched down easier than most sturdier
      hiking shoes (but you do of course lose support). You can also
      adjust the heel tightness for additional personal fit, although it
      doesn't change the fit very much. The "quickfit lacing" system is
      fantastic for tightening them down quickly and you don't have to
      worry about the laces coming undone. The laces may loosen a bit
      after a few miles, but they are easy to re-tighten. I have never had
      the laces break on me after all these years.

      Because of the mesh sides, they are not good for hiking in sandy,
      small gravel, or thorny areas, but on most trails, I have no issues
      with debris getting in the shoes. I have two cons: 1) The laces
      (which can be very long if you have a narrow foot) tend to flop
      around b/c the Velcro fastener doesn't tuck into the tongue flap (I
      believe they have changed the laces on the newer styles). 2) I can't
      hike in them with dry bare feet all day. At most, I can go about 2
      miles with dry bare feet. However, in rain or water crossings I have
      no trouble with my feet getting sore. As long as my bare feet are
      wet, the shoes are comfortable.

      Summary

      The Good: Very comfortable with socks. Lightweight. Good
      traction in wet conditions and on rocky trails. Dries quickly.
      Durable. Converts from shoe to sandal.
      The Bad: Not much support. Mesh sides are not good in sandy
      or thorny brush.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 19, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2009
          EDIT: Salomon Techamphibian Sandals - Hollis Luzecky

          Hi Hollis,

          I will be editing your first owner review. Before we get into formal
          specific edits, there are some general edits that will require some
          additional information and re-organization of your report. I
          strongly urge you to read this document, in particular the section on
          Product Information and Field Information:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=60

          Although you have a lot of good information, your report needs some
          items we specifically require, such as a Product Description in your
          own words, your measured weight of the product, a clickable
          manufacturer URL, and a field condition description (Where did you
          use them? What type of conditions? What elevations? Only in summer,
          or winter use too?)

          Including a photograph would be good in this review, and will be
          required in your next review and future tests. You can learn more
          about adding photographs here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=110

          Also please read the policy on `projecting', available here under
          item # 3.

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=SGAppendix&page=2

          Although you've done well in describing your experiences, there are
          several areas that you've used the word "you" and projected what a
          reader might do, which will need to be revised to avoid projection.

          If you would like further advice and assistance in getting your
          report ready for specific edits, we have a mentor program where
          experienced testers will help you out with suggestions. You can send
          an e-mail to: mentor@... and our mentor coordinator
          will find a mentor for you.

          Once you've revised your report, you should upload an HTML version to
          the owner review test folder on BackpackGearTest.org, then post a
          plain text version here with a link to your HTML version in the test
          folder, using the title "Repost: Salomon Techamphibian Sandals –
          Hollis Luzecky"

          More information is available here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=Bylaws&page=70

          The owner review test folder is here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

          You will need to be logged into the site in order to upload. Be sure
          to upload only to the Owner Review test folder for now, which will
          allow me to work with you to get your report ready to upload later to
          a permanent folder. You will need to register on the
          BackpackGearTest.org site if you haven't already in order to be able
          to login.

          If you have problems with uploading to the Owner Review folder, you
          can get help here:

          Again, once you've uploaded to the test folder, make sure to post a
          plain text version to this yahoo group with a link, since all editing
          of owner reviews actually takes place here.

          Thanks for participating with us, and I look forward to seeing your
          revised report in the future.

          Pam Wyant
          BackpackGearTest.org editor
        • pamwyant

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2009
              Thank you for your edit suggestions. I am not going to have time to
              make these edits as I am leaving in 2 days for a 5 week backpacking
              trip to Africa. I didn't realize how long it would take to get
              comments. I will be sure to log back on when I get back from Africa
              and make the necessary edits as I am excited to get started.
              Thanks,
              Hollis

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
                Wow! Enjoy the Africa trip. You should have some good experience for
                future gear reviews.

                Normally it takes 1-2 weeks to have a report edited, but you had the
                misfortune of catching us on holiday break, which occurs in mid-
                December and lasts through the first several days of January.

                I'll look forward to seeing your revised report somewhere down the road
                after your return from what will surely be a fabulous trip.

                Pam

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Hollis Luzecky"