QUESTION: Suggestions for ORs

  • johnmarkmaust
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2008
      Greetings to all.

      First, I want to thank those who contribute to this project, I have
      multiple times looked up a BGT review of an item I was considering,
      and I have always appreciated the down to earth, practical reviews
      that you have produced.

      Second, I would also like to participate in reviewing gear, and so I
      was hoping for some suggestions on what I should review as an OR. The
      website warned away from tents etc, but I was considering maybe my SOG
      multitool.

      Thank you very much for your time!

      John Mark Maust
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2008
        Hey John,

        Welcome, glad you've decided to poke around a bit more and contribute
        to the gear madness!

        I'm not a moderator or a staff member, just a lowly tester <Grin>, but
        I'd say you have a good idea for a place to start. My first OR was on
        a knife and it was a good starting point for me. There was enough to
        it that I started to learn about the depth required for reports but at
        the same time easy enough to keep me from getting overwhelmed and
        frustrated.

        What the ByLaws are really getting at is not to get in over your head.
        Tents and packs are some of the first things that a lot of people
        think of but they really are complicated. I'd recommend contacting the
        Mentor Coordinator and getting setup with a mentor (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org). It was the first thing I did, and I can't tell
        you how helpful it was.

        Greg M