OR - Threm-a-Rest Trekker - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2008
      Hello all,

      Here is another OR I have been stalling on. HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/6fdgbq

      Therm-a-Rest Trekker Chair
      By Raymond Estrella
      OWNER REVIEW
      December 05, 2008
      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrellaAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Orange County, California, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)
      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in
      many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my wife Jenn or brother-in-law Dave.
      The Product
      Manufacturer: Cascade Designs Inc.
      Web site: www.thermarest.com
      Product: Trekker chair
      Year manufactured: 2008
      MSRP: $ 29.95 US
      Size: 20 in (51 cm) 25 in (64 cm) also available
      Packaged weight listed: 10.5 oz (298 g)
      Actual weight: 10.7 oz (303 g)
      Dimensions listed: 20 x 42 in (51x107 cm) These may differ slightly
      depending on what pad is shoved into it.
      Packed size measured (rolled up): 2.5 x 18.8 in (6 x 47 cm)

      Product Description
      The Cascade Designs (Therm-a-Rest) Trekker Chair (hereafter called the
      Trekker or chair) is described by the company as, "Our lightest, most
      compact convertible chair sleeve sets up fast and is adjustable for
      maximum comfort".

      The Trekker is made of three materials. The bottom (which becomes the
      back) is made of black nylon. The orange pockets on the front or face
      feel like they are made of taffeta. At the top is some very strong
      heavy nylon mesh.

      The black nylon back has four pockets sewn into the sides, two above
      and two below the mid-point. Composite stays are sewn into these
      pockets.

      The orange material is sewn onto the ends to make scalloped pockets
      that will hold the sleeping pad.

      At the top the mesh material has open corners. The inflation valve of
      the pad sticks through one side or the other. (Both sides in the case
      of my Exped Downmat should I try to use it as it has a valve at each
      side.)

      Here is how I set mine up.

      I lay the Trekker flat on a rock or in my tent to keep it as clean as
      possible. I put my sleeping pad (a ProLite 4 in use, but a GuideLite
      in these pictures to assist in viewing as the ProLite is the same
      shade of orange as the top of the chair) into the top pocket with the
      valve poking through the left hole. I always insert the pad so that
      the bottom of the pad is against the bottom of the Trekker. I then
      figure where the pad will fit in the bottom pocket and fold the pad
      under (away from me, not over towards me) and then stuff the folded
      pad into the pocket. If I did not estimate well and the pad is not all
      the way into the end of the pocket I roll the pad a bit to make it fit
      exactly into the pocket. Now I let a little air into the pad. I only
      fill it between 35% and 50% full. By folding the pad under I put the
      bottom (ground side) of my pad both against the surface I will be
      sitting on and against my big butt.

      Once the pad is inserted I can attach the center keeper strap that
      holds the pad in, keeping it from sliding out when moving the chair or
      squirming around. (Hmm, I guess those leaves were poison oak. Teach me
      to read a book about going in the woods…)

      A strap on either side allows the chair to be pulled forward to
      create, well, the chair. By pulling it tighter or letting it out the
      Trekker will have me sitting up straight or reclining as I wish. The
      composite rods keep the whole works from mushing out as I sit in it.

      The chair rolls up into a very small package as can be seen here. It
      is roughly the same size a small set of tent poles.

      Field Data
      I used the Trekker chair on the following backpacking trips

      A two-day trip with Jenn taking the South Fork Trail to a camp site at
      Lodgepole in the San Bernardino National Forest. This 11-mile round
      trip hike had 3400 ft (1036 m) of gain and loss. It got up to 83 F and
      only down to 59 F (28 to 15 C).

      A tough two-day 11 mi (18 km) trip to the top of Mt San Jacinto by way
      of the Marion Mountain Trail. I spent the night in Little Round
      Valley. This rough hike gains over 4400 ft (1341 m) in 5.5 miles (9
      km) in temps that topped 80 F (27 C).

      The next weekend I took Jenn to the same place, but made a three-day
      trip out of it, stopping the first day at Little Round Valley where we
      made a base camp. Temps ranged from 54 to 81 F (12 to 27 C).

      I took Emma and Ray to Itasca State Park , the birthplace of the
      Mississippi River where we got a permit for one of three sites at
      Myrtle Lake.(Backpacking sites are issued just like camp sites in a
      campground, a new one for me.) This four mile (6 km) round trip hike
      was on easy terrain as it is almost all grass, at the worst dirt.
      Temps were from 64 to 80 F (18 to 27 C) at an elevation of 1500 ft
      (460 m).

      The kids and I went with Uncle Dave and their cousin Kendall to Round
      Valley in San Jacinto State Park (California) for an over-night trip
      with lots of boulder climbing. The temperatures ranged from a low of
      55 F to a high of 80 F (13 to 27 C). This was at an elevation of 9200
      ft (2800 m).

      And last we went on a three-day backpacking trip to Maplewood State
      Park in Minnesota. We stayed at the Beers Lake Backpacker site the
      first day and at the Grass Backpacker site the second. The weather was
      great for two days then rained the last. The temperatures were from 79
      down to 61 F (44 to 34 C). The elevation was 1340 ft (408 m) above sea
      level.

      I also used it on a two day camping trip with Jenn.
      Observations
      I have never used a chair while backpacking. I have seen them used by
      other folks and thought how comfy they look, but could never justify
      the weight or space they take up with the style of backpacking I do.

      Then a couple of things happened (and the planets aligned…) to make me
      reconsider. First I tested a huge pack, the Osprey Argon 110. I could
      carry all the gear for my wife and I together and still have room.

      Second I took my 9-year old twins Emma and Raymond on a summer full of
      backpacking trips. As I wanted to make these first trips as positive
      as possible I carried everything but their sleeping bags and pillows
      for two and three day trips. As these were short distance I figured I
      may as well load the Argon to the gills, and since my wife Jenn had a
      Trekker chair, and I just bought a Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4 pad I may as
      well see what the big deal is with chairs.

      They are nice! That is the deal. The first time I used it was on a
      camping trip, not a backpacking trip. (Baby steps…) I loved being able
      to move it into any nice bit of shade I wanted, not being forced to
      sit where a boulder or log make a usable chair as in the past. Cool.
      Now time for a hike.

      The next trip I took it on a solo climb. It was a very hard day up to
      my camp site and I loved being able to sit in the Trekker. I found
      that if I find a rock to set it on so my legs can hang it is just as
      nice as a LazyBoy. Well it felt that way to me at 9800 feet (2990 m)
      elevation any way…

      The Trekker went with me on every backpacking trip this summer in two
      states. I ended up carrying it in the Argon mentioned earlier and
      later in an Osprey Aether 85, a pack suited to my loads a little
      better, while still carrying extra gear for others.

      I take my tent poles and wrap them inside the Trekker chair. Then I
      slide all of it inside my pack right next to my back, to one side of
      my hydration bladder. I figure if the material of the Trekker can
      survive sitting on granite it can protect the contents of my pack from
      the aluminum poles segments. So far I have been proven right. After
      using this on six backpacking trips and one camping trip I have seen
      no wear on the seat portion of the Trekker.

      I have only used the Trekker chair with my ProLite 4 pad. But I have
      one of the company's older GuideLite pads in Minnesota that I plan to
      use it with next summer as the kids and I take a week long camping
      road trip along Minnesota's North Shore area. This is because even
      though I could take a folding chair, the Trekker on a picnic table
      seat is just as comfortable (maybe more so) and saves space in the
      back of my SUV.

      The kids think it is the coolest thing ever. Each time they saw it
      vacant they would jump on saying that they were taking over the King's
      throne. It became a game on the three trips they went on to take the
      chair from me. Raymond is in it in the picture above.

      I like to find a boulder or stump to set the Trekker chair on so as to
      let my feet hang down like a conventional chair. Here is a picture of
      it in San Jacinto State Park.

      It really makes it nice to have a comfortable seat to enjoy a good
      book after a hike into camp. And the looks of jealousy and envy from
      passer-bys is nice too…

      While I do not see myself taking the Trekker on my long distance hikes
      I will keep taking it on the hikes with the children and Jenn that I
      do not mind the extra weight or space it takes in my pack.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager