First Owner Review

  • aric.swanger
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2008
      I was in the "backpackgeartester" group by accident before. I hope I
      am posting this correctly now.

      OWNER REVIEW: PETZL E+LITE
      BY ARIC SWANGER
      OR
      November 26, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Aric Swanger
      EMAIL: aricswangerATnc.rrDOTcom
      AGE: 33
      LOCATION: Raleigh, NC
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      WEIGHT: 265 lb (120.00 kg)

      I have been camping my whole life and started backpacking with my
      son Joey, when he turned 9. We have been backpacking in Spring and
      Fall mostly but we are going to start camping in the winter. Cold
      weather is my favorite, I hope he likes it too. We live in central
      North Carolina so we have mountains, flatland and beach all with in a
      3 hour drive. We like to keep our packs under 35lbs but hope to start
      adopting some ultralight techniques and gear.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT
      TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>

      Manufacturer: Petzl
      "http://www.petzl.com">>www.petzl.com
      MSRP: US$29.95
      Listed Weight: ?? oz (?? g).95oz (27b)

      FIELD USE

      I bought 2 of these from REI, one for my son, Joey, and one for
      myself. We have used them on a couple of backpacking trips, a couple
      of car camping trips and his first Boy Scout camping trip.

      When backpacking we typically like to set up camp before it gets
      dark, so the only thing we used the Petzl for was in tent lighting.
      This light can be taken off the headband and used on the flat base as
      an independent light. We currently use a REI 3 man tent that has all
      kinds of things overhead to attach a light to, so we just will hang
      the light from one of those. It works great as a tent light. If you
      have to wake up in the middle of the night and need a light it is
      real easy to feel the switch. When car camping with the whole family
      I always keep it in my sleeping bag with me, just in case I need a
      light in the middle of the night. The last time we used these lights
      was on Joey's first Boy Scout camping trip. When we arrived it was
      dark and raining. After putting on the pack covers, we put on our
      Petzls. The high setting was plenty of light to walk on the trail and
      set up our tent. We also used them in the morning( eleven year old
      Scouts will wake you up before sunrise).

      SUMMARY

      This is a great little light. It doesn't take up a lot of room. It
      provides plenty of light for short walks in the dark, around camp and
      in the tent. It hardly weighs anything.

      THINGS I LIKE

      low wieght
      neat little carrying case
      can clip on to the brim of a hat

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      no dislikes

      SIGNATURE

      Aric Swanger
      aricswangerATnc.rrDOTcom

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2008
        Aric welcome to BackpackGearTest.

        Thank you for your Owner Review, and your interest in becoming a
        tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now your review is lacking in a
        few areas and cannot be accepted for editing at this time. It is not
        uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first
        OR is ready for the editing process. At this point you have two

        1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with
        experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
        If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
        request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn
        K, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST
        in the subject line.

        2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out
        in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below).
        In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently
        approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

        Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give
        it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We
        look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

        Edit Administration Manager