OR-Katadyn (PUR) Hiker water filter

  • Kevin Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2008
      KATADYN (PUR) WATER PURIFIER
      BY KEVIN M DECKER
      OR
      November 25, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kevin M Decker
      EMAIL: kevind@...
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Manchester, WA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      Salutations! I have been hiking and camping through Washington and Utah-from rainforest to red rock-for 20+ years. I enjoy lightweight packing, but always seem to be using inexpensive-get-the-job-done gear. I am a Scout leader, and can always count on a campout at least once a month. Northwest hiking and camping is unique to other areas I have been. It is wet nearly all of the time, and requires a dedication to the green and grey aspects of nature.

      "TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,/ And sorry I could not travel both/ And be one traveler, long I stood/ And looked down one as far as I could/ To where it bent in the undergrowth;" Robert Frost

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: PUR
      Year of Manufacture: 1996
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.purwaterfilter.com/purhikpursys.html
      MSRP: US$85.71
      Listed Weight: 11 oz (312g)
      Measured Weight: 11 oz (312g)
      Other details:
      Microfiltration Method: AntiClog technology: 107 square inches of pleated 0.3 micron glassfiber media
      Output: Up to 1 quart (1 liter) per minute or 48 strokes per quart
      Cartridge Capacity: Up to 200 gallons depending upon water quality
      Weight: 11 oz.
      Dimensions: 6.5"H x 3"W
      Hose Length: 36"
      Includes: Prefilter, EasyFill bottle adapter and carry bag

      FIELD USE

      I have been camping for 23 years in climates ranging from the rain forests of Western Washington to the southern badlands in Utah. This lightweight filter has provided hundreds of gallons of clean sweet tasting water for me and many, many Scouts!

      While hiking the Pacific Crest Trail on a 5 day excursion, 11 Scouts and 5 leaders used this filter exclusively. Many of the boys fought over who got to run the pump next. I personally have used this on inland resevoirs just north of the Great Salt Lake, in slot canyon streams in and around Zion National Park, the HOH Rain Forest in NW Washington state, and all along the PCT.

      SUMMARY

      The Hiker by PUR (now Katadyn Hiker by PUR) is one of the smallest, fastest, and lightest true water purifiers. It is well priced, and easy to use and clean.

      Anticlog technology, 0.3 micron filtration, 11 oz overall weight, and pumping one quart per minute makes this filter a powerhouse in the pack! I would recommend this to anyone.

      THINGS I LIKE

      I like the fact that this true filter is compact, lightweight, easy to use, inexpensive, and safe!!!

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Nothing.

      SIGNATURE

      Kevin Decker