INITIAL REPORT, Kelty Red Cloud backpack, Nigel McGregor

  • nigelmcgregor
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2008
      Item: Kelty Red Cloud 5600 backpack

      Name: Nigel McGregor
      Age: 38
      Gender: 5' 10" (1.78 Meters)
      Weight: 157lbs (71 kg)
      Email: h2oshooter@...
      City, State, Country: Heath, Tx, US
      Date: November 29, 2008

      Backpacking Background: I have been an avid camper all my life and now travel the world
      as a professional photographer, using my backpack as my only piece of luggage.
      I've backpacked & camped in Colorado in various weather conditions, but most of my
      experience is in warmer parts of the world. Usually I am out for three days or so, however
      my job has taken me out for longer periods, often in severe conditions as a journalist
      covering natural disasters where we are primarily self-sustained.

      Product Info: Internal Fame Pack
      Kelty Red Cloud 5600

      Purchased: December 2004 http://kelty.com/kelty/products.php?
      terms=red%20cloud&id=29

      Listed Weight: 6 lb. 1 oz. (2.7 kg)

      Volume: 5600 cu in. (91.8 liters)

      Suspension: internal frame / adjustable suspension

      Dimensions: Length- 40 in (102 cm)
      Width- 20 in (51cm)

      Materials: 420D nylon - micro ripstop / reinforced w/ 600D polyester kodra & 500D
      nylon kodra

      top and front loading to make it easy to access things, no matter where they are packed.
      Multiple pouches for keeping smaller things separated. Pack has zippered/flapped side
      pockets for easy access, large front pocket that has another internal fleece-lined pocket
      for delicate things (glasses or lens filters). Outer pocket has another smaller pocket for
      other trinkets. All pockets are secure and keep things safe. Front also has daisy chain for
      strapping other gear on. Both sides have mesh water bottle pockets for easy access to
      plenty of h2o on the go, but there is also a hidden compartment inside against your back
      for a hydration bladder and hole for the tube to exit either side you prefer. The top lid
      converts to a fanny pack for short hikes around camp and has a pocket inside for keys or
      small things like that. The bottom compartment has room for a sleeping bag if it's rolled
      tight, otherwise there is a zippered flap separating the main compartment from the
      sleeping bag area that can add more room to the main compartment (I use the bottom
      area for my dirty clothes usually). On the bottom of the pack are more lashing loops and
      tabs to strap more gear on.
      The suspension in very adjustable to a variety of heights. On either side of the suspension
      area are long velcro flaps that can be undone to slide the shoulder straps up or down to a
      custom fit. The shoulder straps are a soft material and comfortable on the shoulders -
      even on long hikes. On the shoulder are "load-lifter" straps to pull the load up close to
      your back for a secure fit. The waist belt is also padded and very comfortable on the hips
      w/ a large snapping buckle and compression straps on either side for an easy fit. The
      back panel is padded, breathable mesh. All this creates a backpack that is comfortable to
      carry large loads for long distances w/ out a problem. I find it very stable - even with
      more weight than they recommended @ REI. I load this thing down w/ clothes, camera
      equipment, and anything else I may need for the better part of a week and have no
      problems accessing my things - which is very important when you need something
      quickly.

      Weather Resistance: It's just nylon, it needs a rain cover which is not included.

      Color: blue/dark grey

      Field Info:
      I first took my Red Cloud to cover the tsunami relief in Banda Ache, Indonesia. It was
      loaded with 57 lbs (25.86 kgs) of clothes, food and gear for a month (I did have another
      day pack & a number of Pelican cases as well). It took a beating and past the test without
      an issue.
      We had rain a few days and I could have used a rain cover but used trash bags and a
      couple of nylon straps and they served the purpose. The backpack worked like a champ
      through everything.
      Since that trip, I've traveled on Presidential campaigns, hurricanes and countless miles of
      covering other news stories, not to mention four years of Boy Scout trips with my sons -
      my Red Cloud pack with me all the way. It has held up to the rigors and the only thing
      wrong is a few stains and one strap was melted in an airport conveyor belt. It has plenty of
      miles left in it.

      Summary
      The Kelty Red Cloud 5600 is a great pack for a wide variety of uses. If you're going out
      for a weekend of camping or heading out for a trip around the world, the Red Cloud will
      get you there and hold up to everything you can through at it. The dual entry (top and
      front) allow you to access anything you can stuff into it and all the pockets keep your
      smaller valuables safe and easy to get to.

      Price/Warranty
      $185.00 MSRP
      I've seen it on-line for as low as $115.00, so research it.

      The Good
      The materials and construction are very good. It has plenty of pockets to store lots of
      stuff, loops and a daisy chain to strap more gear on and it's really comfortable to wear all
      day on the trail. The top and front loading lets you pack quickly and access the inside
      easily (this is my favorite part).

      The Bad
      I wish they encluded a rain cover with it.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager