EDIT: OWNER REVIEW- MARKILL PEAK IGNITION CANISTER STOVE

  • Andrew Buskov
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
      James,

      Here are the edits to your Markill Peak stove. You'll need to follow the convention listed below.
      EDIT: Change Me
      Edit: Think about changing me
      Comment: Everything else

      Feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or problems you may have. It's a good beginning. There are a few more things that need to be ironed out, and numerous changes that need to be made. Please make sure to address ALL edits noted below and upload the HTML version to: http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

      AB

      _____
      Visit Corridor9
      http://www.corridor9.net
      ____________________________

      > I have been backpacking seriously for about seven years. Most of my
      > trips consist of 2-3 days in northern New England, usually in the
      > White Mountains and along the Long Trail. Once a year I usually go on
      > 2 week long trips elsewhere in the country and every few years I try
      > to travel to the tropics for a 10-14 day excursion. My main concerns
      > with gear are usually reliability, durability, and comfort, though
      > shaving ounces is always nice too.
      EDIT: You need more information here, but remember to stay under the 100 word limit. Please include typical pack weight; lightweight, Ultralight, etc. Also, include typical shelter use; hammock, tent, tarp. Describe your style a bit more too; if lightweight, do you sacrifice the comforts? Etc.

      > Manufacturer: Markill (owned by Vaude)
      > Year of Manufacture: 2003
      > Manufacturer's Website: vaude.com
      Edit: Can't find this on vaude.com. Please verify this is the correct website. Could it be listed under a different website; like MSR is listed on MSRgear.com rather than CascadeDesigns.com.

      > Other details:Titanium, 3 Folding arms, Built-in Ignition Canister Stove
      EDIT: Space after :

      EDIT: You need more information in your Product Information section. Describe the product; what do you see, how is it designed, etc.

      > I'm writing this review with the idea that most readers have
      > familiarized themselves with a canister stove, so I won't go into the
      > mechanisms of canister stoves in general.
      EDIT: This is not a good stance when writing a review. You need to write the review from an aspect that assumes the reader has no knowledge about canister stoves. They generally come to our site to get information before making a purchase. They may be switching over from a white gas stove, so they need your complete input on the item you're reviewing.

      > due to the price, the weight and the design. It also claimed a pretty
      Edit: How about "The manufacturer also claimed" rather than "It".

      > is only about 2inx2.5inx1.5in and can fit in most cooksets, or in any
      EDIT: You need to convert the sizing to metric also. Also, separate out your measurements as such: 2 x 2.5 x 1.5 in

      > Since purchasing it, I have used this stove on almost every trip Ive
      EDIT: Change Ive to I've

      > how I feel about this stove, but lets get to the details. Ive never
      EDIT: Change Ive to I've

      > had a problem with this stove lighting. Ive used it at up to 8,000 ft
      EDIT: Change Ive to I've

      > England with no problems. Ive also used it year round here in New
      EDIT: Change Ive to I've

      > England, at temperatures down to about 0F (-18C). During these really
      EDIT: Space after temperatures before F & C

      > performance. These cold nights are the only time Ive envied my friends
      EDIT: Change Ive to I've

      > For general use, the stove itself performs quite well. Ive found the
      EDIT: Change Ive to I've

      > for great manipulation of cooking temperatures, so you can cook your
      EDIT: Stay away from "you", "your" and "you're". These are generally bad in a review. I prefer "the user" as it is non-descript.

      > clean and maintain, and performs quite well. The ease of use and
      EDIT: You discuss cleaning and maintaining here, but you don't mention it in your report. Please mention this as you refer to it in the summary.

      > not found in any other stove in its weight class. If your consistently
      EDIT: Change your to something else.

      > elevations, you may want to consider another stove, though this one
      EDIT: Change you to something else

      > The one major
      > downside was the electric ignition which was a complete failure, and
      > in my opinion should either be improved or removed completely.
      Comment: This is GOOD INFO! It's statements like this that make the report "mean something" to the reader.

      > electric ignition is a major selling point for you, than you will
      EDIT: Change you to something else, and change than to then

      > probably be disappointed with this product.
      EDIT: This statement right here is what we call projecting, and it's something that we stay away from completely. You can't mention that someone probably will be disappointed as you are not them. In the same fashion, you can't say that you think the stove will fall apart because it looks crappy. If it doesn't happen, you can't predict it.

      > If your like me and
      EDIT: Change your to something else

      > couldn't care less about the electric ignition, than this is a great
      EDIT: Change than to then

      > Ligh tweight/Small size
      EDIT: Change Ligh tweight to Lightweight

      > Piezo electric ignition is junk
      EDIT: Junk, or any other derogatory term is not acceptable. How about "Piezo electric ignition didn't work properly"

      > SIGNATURE
      >
      > -James
      Edit: You can remove this as it's not necessary
    • jlapierr42
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
        Hi Andrew,

        Thanks for the speedy edits. I uploaded my edited review to the link
        you gave me. I think it worked right and I'm pretty sure I got all the
        edits you gave me. The only thing I didn't change was the
        manufacturer's website. The stove was on www.vaude.com but you have to
        search for it because there is no link. I cant test it right now
        because Vaude's website is redirecting me to a German language site
        every time I try the search option. That is the only manufacturer's
        site associated with Markill so I didn't know what else to do about it.

        Thanks, James.
      • Andrew Buskov
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
          James.

          Whenever you make changes to your report, you must post a new text version to the list so the editor can make edits on that version. In addition, whenever you post an HTML to the website, we request that you also post a link to the report in the text that you send to this list. That keeps the editors from having to search through the uploads to find your individual report.

          Please post the updated text version to this list, and shoot me a link to your report. When This information is uploaded, I can re-edit the report and get these edits back to you.

          Thank you!

          AB

          _____
          Visit Corridor9
          http://www.corridor9.net
          ____________________________

          > Hi Andrew,
          >
          > Thanks for the speedy edits. I uploaded my edited review to the link
          > you gave me. I think it worked right and I'm pretty sure I got all the
          > edits you gave me. The only thing I didn't change was the
          > manufacturer's website. The stove was on www.vaude.com but you have to
          > search for it because there is no link. I cant test it right now
          > because Vaude's website is redirecting me to a German language site
          > every time I try the search option. That is the only manufacturer's
          > site associated with Markill so I didn't know what else to do about it.
          >
          > Thanks, James.
        • jlapierr42
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
            Heres the new text version and link to the HTML. Thanks, James.

            HTML Link:
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20Markill%20Peak%20Ignition%20-%20James%20LaPierre

            MARKILL PEAK IGNITION
            BY JAMES LAPIERRE
            OR
            November 16, 2008

            TESTER INFORMATION

            NAME: James LaPierre
            EMAIL: jlapierr42@...
            AGE: 23
            LOCATION: Burlington, Vermont, U.S.
            GENDER: m
            HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
            WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)

            I have been backpacking seriously for about seven years. Most of my
            trips consist of 2-3 days in northern New England, usually in the
            White Mountains and along the Long Trail in Vermont. I usually go on
            an annual 2 week long trip elsewhere in the U.S. and occasionally I
            try to travel to the tropics for a 10-14 day excursion. I like to keep
            my pack light but I won't sacrifice comfort. I use an ultralight
            frameless pack and hammock and tarp for short excursions and warm
            weather hiking. In the fall and winter and for long excursions I use
            an internal frame pack and two person tent.

            PRODUCT INFORMATION

            Manufacturer: Markill (owned by Vaude)
            Year of Manufacture: 2003
            Manufacturer's Website: vaude.com
            MSRP: US$49.99
            Listed Weight: 4 oz (117 g)
            Measured Weight: 4.2 oz (119 g)

            Brief Description: Titanium canister stove, 3 folding toothed arms,
            Piezo electric ignition

            The Markill Peak Ignition is a titanium stove comprised of a solid
            body with three folding arms surrounding a 1 in (2.5cm) burner. A
            Piezo electric ignition comes with the stove, and is held onto the
            side of the stove by a small mounting bracket. Each arm is toothed to
            grip the bottom of a cook pot and is hinged halfway out to fold in.
            The arms also rotate around the burner so the stove can be folded up
            to be almost flat. The part where the stove connects to the fuel
            canister and the fuel control valve are made of brass. The flow of
            fuel is controlled by a triangular control arm which also folds up
            agaisnt the body of the stove. A black nylon storage case comes with
            the stove. All packed up and stored in the case the stove fits in the
            palm of my hand. The stove uses fuel canisters which it screws onto.
            Most canister brands work well as long as they have the correctly
            threaded top.

            FIELD USE

            I purchased this stove despite having no familiarity with the brand
            due to the price, the weight and the design. The manufacturer also
            claimed a pretty impressive boiling time of 2.5 minutes. My initial
            impression with the product was that it seemed sturdier and more
            stable than many comparable stoves in the same price and weight range.
            It also comes with a nice little nylon case, which adds a few ounces
            but does a great job of keeping dust and debris out of the stove while
            its not in use. When the arms are all folded in, the stove is tiny,
            and the case is only about 2 x 2.5 x 1.5 in (5 x 6.25 x 3.75 cm) and
            can fit in most cooksets, or in any nook available.

            Since purchasing it, I have used this stove on almost every trip I've
            gone on, and it is actually one of the few things in my backpack that
            has remained unchanged. I guess that gives a pretty good impression of
            how I feel about this stove, but lets get to the details. I've never
            had a problem with this stove lighting. I've used it at up to 8,000 ft
            (2400m) in Costa Rica, and up above 4,000 ft (1200m) here in New
            England with no problems. I've also used it year round here in New
            England, at temperatures down to about 0 F (-18 C). During these
            really cold temperatures the stove sputters and has trouble starting,
            as do most canister stoves, especially when not using a winter fuel
            mix. However, using a few tricks to warm the fuel canister and the
            stove fired up, and burned pretty well, though certainly not at
            maximum performance. These cold nights are the only time I've envied
            my friends with white fuel or multi fuel stoves.

            For general use, the stove itself performs quite well. Ive found the
            2.5 min boiling time to be on the low end, and it usually takes closer
            to 3 min to boil water, especially if it is a little windy or rainy
            out. The stove does perform well in inclement weather though, even
            without a windscreen. The 3 fold out arm design also provides great
            stability for the size and weight, and the teeth on the arms do a good
            job of keeping the pot in place and work great with cooksets with
            ridged bottoms. The small size and low flames, plus the fact that
            canister stoves do not need to be primed make this stove great for
            cooking under my hammock tarp or in my tent's vestibule. The heat
            control is also very fine tuned, allowing for great manipulation of
            cooking temperatures, so I can cook those pancakes without burning them!

            The stove has performed very reliably and the only occasions when it
            has needed cleaning have been when debris blocks the tiny fuel
            injector on the bottom of the stove and using the case everytime I put
            the stove away helps avoid that problem completely.

            The one real negative for this stove was the Piezo electric ignition.
            The igniter worked for the first three trips only, and never worked
            well. It had a tendency to light only half the stove even when it was
            working. This wasn't a big deal for me since I always carry a lighter
            and matches anyways. When the igniter failed completely, I simply
            removed it, which was easy as taking two small screws out. Now I just
            light the stove the conventional way, with fire, and in the interim I
            shaved an ounce off the stoves weight.

            SUMMARY

            Basically, this is a great canister stove. It is reliable, easy to
            clean and maintain, and performs quite well. The ease of use and
            control offered make it great for all kinds of excursions, from day
            trips to long hauls. It provides a measure of stability that I have
            not found in any other stove in its weight class. If the user is
            consistently hiking in below freezing temperatures, especially at
            higher elevations, he or she may want to consider another stove,
            though this one can certainly be used with a little preparation. The
            one major downside was the electric ignition which was a complete
            failure, and in my opinion should either be improved or removed
            completely. If the user is like me and does not care about the
            electric ignition, then this is a great lightweight backpacking stove.

            THINGS I LIKE

            Lightweight
            Small size
            Stability
            Ease of use
            Temperature control
            Reliability

            THINGS I DON'T LIKE

            Piezo electric ignition did not function correctly

            Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
          • Andrew Buskov
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
              James.

              Don't know if I mentioned this before, but when uploading something to the list, there is a pattern to be followed. Type, Item, Name. An example would be "Owner Review - Markill Peak ignition canister stove - James Lapierre". You must have your name at the end. In addition, if the item description is rather long it is acceptable to "shorten" it accordingly; Markill Stove, Markill Peak Stove, etc.

              Here are your edits.
              As usual;
              EDIT: Change Me
              Edit: Think about changing me
              Comment: Everything else

              Very well done! I'd like you to correct the edits, re-upload to the Owner Review Test folder so I can verify. If everything looks good on the final, I'll approve you to upload to the main site.

              AB

              _____
              Visit Corridor9
              http://www.corridor9.net
              ____________________________

              EDIT: All reviews must now have a picture of the item in question. Pictures that you take personally are preferred, but a manufacturers pic is acceptable. If you use a manufacturers picture, be sure to credit the manufacturer.

              > I have been backpacking seriously for about seven years. Most of my
              > trips consist of 2-3 days in northern New England, usually in the
              > White Mountains and along the Long Trail in Vermont. I usually go on
              > an annual 2 week long trip elsewhere in the U.S. and occasionally I
              > try to travel to the tropics for a 10-14 day excursion. I like to keep
              > my pack light but I won't sacrifice comfort. I use an ultralight
              > frameless pack and hammock and tarp for short excursions and warm
              > weather hiking. In the fall and winter and for long excursions I use
              > an internal frame pack and two person tent.
              Comment: Very nice, concise and informative!

              > Year of Manufacture: 2003
              > Manufacturer's Website: vaude.com
              EDIT: The link to the manufacturer's website must be clickable. Please correct this.

              > The Markill Peak Ignition is a titanium stove comprised of a solid
              > body with three folding arms surrounding a 1 in (2.5cm) burner. A
              > Piezo electric ignition comes with the stove, and is held onto the
              > side of the stove by a small mounting bracket. Each arm is toothed to
              > grip the bottom of a cook pot and is hinged halfway out to fold in.
              > The arms also rotate around the burner so the stove can be folded up
              > to be almost flat. The part where the stove connects to the fuel
              > canister and the fuel control valve are made of brass. The flow of
              > fuel is controlled by a triangular control arm which also folds up
              > agaisnt the body of the stove. A black nylon storage case comes with
              > the stove. All packed up and stored in the case the stove fits in the
              > palm of my hand. The stove uses fuel canisters which it screws onto.
              > Most canister brands work well as long as they have the correctly
              > threaded top.
              Comment: MUCH BETTER!!!
              EDIT: I need you to change the last line a bit. "Most canister brands that I have tried work well as long as they have the correctly threaded top." I'm pretty sure the manufacturer will recommend a specific brand of fuel. Since we can't say that most canister brands will work as per manufacturer's recommendations, you can only report on your experiences.

              > Since purchasing it, I have used this stove on almost every trip I've
              > gone on, and it is actually one of the few things in my backpack that
              > has remained unchanged.
              EDIT: I need you to give an average of "every trip I've gone on". Are we talking 10, 40, 100? Number of days use is really what we need.