EDIT: Pacific Outdoor Equipment Si Pillow, Chris Barton

  • rcaffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2008
      EDIT: Pacific Outdoor Equipment Si Pillow, Chris Barton

      Welcome to BGT. This is a good start. I have some small edits for you
      to fix, and these are listed below. Please do not be offended by the
      terse manner used in spelling out the edits: that's just how I find it
      easiest to list them.

      Reposting
      When you have fixed these matters please REPOST the plain text of your
      OR here on this channel.
      At the same time would you please put the new HTML version in the
      Tests / Owner Reviews folder on BGT. In the future please include the
      URL for the HTML file in the Test folder with your first posting and
      all subsequent ones to make my life easier. It is now a requirement
      that we check the HTML version for various things like a clickable
      manufacturer's URL and some details of the layout before giving
      approval, and it is also a requirement that you provide the URL to
      help us Editors find your file. We are often editing several ORs at a
      time and are easily confused ...

      All Test Reports require photos of the gear. While we do not insist on
      the inclusion of photos in your first Owner Review, we do strongly
      encourage you to do so. Your second Owner Review will require the
      inclusion of photos anyhow. As I am sure you will know, pictures
      convey so much more information when used in conjunction with the
      text. If you have trouble with the pictures, and especially with the
      'ALT' tags, let me know. The problem is well-known and easily fixed.

      Edit Conventions
      Many Editors use the following convention in listing their edits and
      comments:
      EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards,
      Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way,
      Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change
      as a result.
      However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am
      criticising is actually a matter of personal writing style, feel free
      to say so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably
      clear what you mean.

      Mentors
      If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have an excellent
      Mentor program. It was established to help all newcomers through the
      somewhat confusing process of becoming gear testers, and to make sure
      they understand the 'rules'. Mentoring is also available for veteran
      testers who'd like to get some feedback on their test applications or
      test reports. Whatever stage you're at the Mentors are here to help.
      If you'd like a Mentor, please contact the Mentor Coordinator
      (mentor@...) and please include "Mentor Request" in
      your subject line.

      Rules and Regulations
      In addition, you must take some time out to read through our
      Documentation pages to understand just what we are about, and what
      rules there are for our operations. You be required to state that you
      have read these and will comply with them when you apply for a Test.
      These pages are found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php. This is at least the
      second generation of our rules: they have evolved over time, but we
      try to keep them as simple and as plain as possible. If you find any
      problems with them, let us know.

      HTML Creation and Problems
      In some cases when editing the plain text of a review I find problems
      with the layout of the text version. This can happen when an HTML file
      is badly converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem,
      you could consider trying one of the free HTML/text editors such as
      Note Tab Lite: this one has a good conversion tool built in for
      stripping out the html tags to create plain text. Some people who know
      nothing about HTML like the very point-and-click oriented NVU,
      although I don't. It mangles the underlying layout of text and HTML
      tags. Both can be found through Google.

      In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the
      problems may be that you used MS Word to generate the HTML file. We
      have had extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been
      responsible for most of the really bad layout problems I have ever
      seen. In particular it causes untold grief over the inclusion of
      pictures. Also, if you feed a cleaned-up HTML file through Word to fix
      just one small error, Word will usually completely rewrite the HTML
      into a ghastly mess. We strongly discourage you from using MS Word to
      create the HTML! However, if Word is all you have, please save the
      file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web page' or XML. The
      filtering does help improve Word's efforts slightly. But our Report
      Writer is a better option.

      BGT Report Writer
      This is meant to make the process of creating BGT reports and test
      series as friendly as possible. The Report Writer enables the writer
      to create a report without knowing anything about HTML, or having to
      wrestle with workarounds in Word. It will assist you with the
      inclusion of photos as well. Even for those who are fully
      HTML-literate it can be handy. See
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1 for
      further information. It is highly recommended.

      Uploading to BGT
      When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please
      ensure you select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If you require
      assistance with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group,
      BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com. You can access this also via
      upload failure involves a comment about missing <alt> tags, and this
      is usually due to the use of MS Word.

      Tester Agreement
      Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester
      Agreement. Basically, this is an undertaking to play by the rules and
      complete any Test series, or to return the gear if you can't.
      Sometimes things happen, and if you let us know UP FRONT we will
      understand. We do put family needs first. The single most important
      thing here is to COMMUNICATE!
      The agreement can be found at:

      The signed agreement should be forwarded to
      C Carnes
      18 E Earle Street
      Greenville, SC 29609
      USA

      If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester
      Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to
      participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further
      details on this may be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      Applying for Tests
      You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are
      announced: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/ This is
      where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
      -------------------------------
      > Height: 5'9"
      > Weight: 180 lbs
      EDIT: metric equivalents required

      > City, State, Country: Berkeley, CA USA
      EDIT: spell out the state: overseas readers may not know what it means.

      > My gear was stolen in 1995 and it wasn't until 2007 that I geared up
      again.
      EDIT: omit: it does not help the reader.

      > Manufacturer Measurements: 10 in x 14.5 in x 3.5 in (25.40 cm x
      35.56 cm x 8.89 cm)
      > Actual Measurements: 10 in x 16.50 x 3.25 in (25.40 cm x 41.91 cm x
      8.89 cm)
      Edit/Comment: this ends up looking a little 'opaque'. I would write
      like this:
      'Manufacturer Measurements: 10 x 14.5 x 3.5 in (25.40 x 35.56 x 8.89 cm)'

      > I tested the Si Pillow at numerous trips
      EDIT: 'on numerous trips'

      > temperatures ranging from 25 deg F (-3.88 deg C) to 50 deg F (10.0
      deg C).
      Edit: if you can, you should reduce the number of decimal places in
      situations like this. I would write '25 F (4 C)' etc. (Several cases.)

      > it barely gives at all when you rest your head on it.
      EDIT: 'when I rest my head on it.'

      > This was most problematic when fully hooded in my bag.
      Comment: will it fit inside the hood? Have you tried it this way?

      > It also compresses down to an easily packable size and is fairly light.
      EDIT: I am sure the reader will want to know how small it compresses.
      This would be an essential part of the information a reader needs.

      > Cons:
      > . Very stiff when fully inflated and requires adjustment for comfort.
      Edit: I question whether this is really a Con? I would have thought it
      is to be expected. I find my air mat is the same. Innfact, the fact
      that the hardness can be adjusted could be deemed a Pro maybe?