OR - Jetboil Coffee Press - Kurt Papke

  • kwpapke
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2008
      I know I've already got my HH SuperShelter OR queued up, but wanted to
      get this posted so I don't forget about it.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Jetboil%20Coffee%20Press%20-%20Kurt%20Papke/

      or http://tinyurl.com/5vgvk4

      Text follows with embedded alt text. --Kurt
      Jetboil Coffee Press - Owner Review
      Review Date: November 17, 2008
      Tester Biographical Information
      Name
      Kurt Papke
      Age
      55
      Gender
      Male
      Height
      6' 4" (193 cm)
      Weight
      220 lbs (100 kg)
      Email address
      kwpapke at gmail dot com
      City, State, Country Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

      Backpacking background: mostly in Minnesota and Oregon - all of the
      Superior Hiking Trail and Border Route, Isle Royale, dayhiking and
      backpacking in the Columbia River gorge. I've done extensive
      dayhiking in Utah, Colorado and Oregon. I am mostly a Spring/Fall
      season backpacker, but easing into more cold-weather/Winter trips. I
      have been an ardent coffee drinker for many decades, but until Fall
      2008 I drank tea when backpacking. I now enjoy a steaming cup of
      freshly-brewed mocha java on a cold morning.
      Product Description
      Jetboil Coffee Press componentsThe Jetboil Coffee Press is an
      accessory for the Jetboil PCS backpacking stove that upgrades the
      stove/pot system to be used to brew coffee similar to a French press.
      To brew coffee, water is brought to a boil in the PCS mug, ground
      coffee is added and allowed to steep, then the plunger of the Press is
      pushed down to compact the grounds. The metal mesh of the Press
      prevents grounds from being ingested. Coffee can be drunk directly
      from the PCS mug, or poured into a cup.

      The Press components are shown in the photo at left. At the top are
      the two disassembled pieces of the plunger, and at bottom is the mesh
      screen. The screen is shown upside-down from the orientation it would
      be used in the PCS to show the bottom flange which fits tight against
      the walls of the PCS cup and prevents coffee grounds from escaping.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer
      Jetboil, Inc.
      Manufacturer website
      http://www.jetboil.com/
      Year manufactured
      2008
      Listed Weight
      0.8 oz (22 g)
      Measured Weight
      0.8 oz (22 g)
      MSRP
      $19.95 US
      Field Information
      I purchased my Jetboil PCS over two years ago, but bought the Coffee
      Press in preparation for a Fall 2008 backpacking trip to Isle Royale.
      I also used it on a second backpacking trip to the Superior Hiking
      Trail in October. These trips are depicted in the following table:

      Dates
      Location
      Altitude
      Approximate
      temperatures
      Trip Photo
      September 7-14, 2008
      Isle Royale National Park,
      Michigan
      600 to 1600 ft
      (180 to 490 m)
      Night: 40 F to 50 F
      (4 C to 10)

      Day: 50 F to 65 F
      (4 C to 18 C)
      Isle Royale
      October 14-17, 2008
      Superior Hiking Trail (SHT),
      northern Minnesota 800 to 1300 ft
      (245 to 395 m)
      Night: 28 F to 40 F
      (-2 C to 4 C)

      Day: 45 F to 60 F
      (7 C to 16 C)
      SHT in Fall

      Usage Information
      Press assembled and ready to place in PCSPlunger all the way downTo
      use Jetboil Coffee Press, I first assemble the pieces as shown in the
      photo at left, often doing this while the water is coming to a boil.
      The two pieces of the plunger are screwed together, the plunger is
      inserted through the hole in the top of the cup lid, and the screen is
      screwed onto the plunger making sure the flange is oriented down.

      Then, I add ground coffee to the hot water and let steep for 3-5
      minutes. I normally put the cup lid on right after the coffee is
      added to keep everything warm.

      Next the plunger is pushed down to compress the grounds to the bottom
      of the cup. When this is done, the top of the plunger fits flush with
      the top of the cup as shown in the photo at right.

      Sip and enjoy! But I have to be very careful of not burning my tongue
      - the coffee is extremely hot, as the insulated PCS cup keeps the
      liquid from cooling off much. In fact, I normally pour my coffee
      through the drinking hole in the PCS cup lid to a small cup to cool.
      That way I can enjoy several smaller, hot, cups of coffee without
      waiting a long time for things to cool off.
      Tear down/packing
      Screen at bottom of PCS cupPlunger pieces on top of fuel
      cannisterAfter I'm done drinking I remove the Press assembly and
      discard the grounds.

      I then swish the mesh screen in some water to wash off the grounds. I
      don't spend too much effort getting it real clean, as the next plunge
      into boiling water will sterilize it pretty well.

      Next I unscrew the mesh screen from the plunger stem and drop it
      flange-up into the bottom of the PCS mug as shown at left. If it is
      put in flange-down, the fuel cannister will not nest properly and the
      mug cover won't fit on.

      Next the fuel cannister goes in, cap up. I then unscrew the two
      pieces of the plunger and drop them into the mug as shown at right.

      The stove itself goes in next, and the mug cover is put in place.

      Observations/Performance
      The Jetboil Coffee press makes as good quality coffee in the back
      country as I've ever tasted. The taste limitation seems to be in the
      aluminum mug walls - they just don't seem to make as clean tasting
      coffee as glass. I fresh grind quality beans the night before I leave
      on a trip and store them in a zip top bag or a small airtight Nalgene
      container.

      Cleanup is easy, and all the parts pack into the PCS mug. Sort of.
      With the mesh screen on the bottom, the stove is pushed up far enough
      that the mug lid doesn't fit tight and seems to fall off if not packed
      tightly. The stove igniter seems to press against the mug lid.
      Around the time I started using the coffee press my igniter stopped
      working. I can't say with certainty that there is a direct
      cause-and-effect situation, but the timing and the fact that the Press
      pushes the igniter against the lid seems suspicious.

      The other issue I have is the plunger pieces rattle around inside the
      mug. Its noisy enough that I can hear it when I'm hiking. I suppose
      I could put some toilet paper or other soft item around the fuel
      cannister to keep the pieces from rattling, but I've been too lazy
      and/or forgetful so far.

      The plunger pieces also seem easy to lose. I've dropped them several
      times out of the mug and either had to wash the dirt off or search for
      them in grass. I am a little concerned that I'll lose one of the
      plunger pieces some day.
      Conclusions
      I really like my Jetboil Coffee Press, and regret that as Winter comes
      on I'll have to give it up as the cannisters don't work well at
      sub-freezing temperatures.

      Likes:

      1. Makes great coffee.
      2. Reasonably priced.
      3. Minimal weight and bulk - makes multiple uses of the PCS mug.
      4. Easy to use once I got the hang of it. It took me a few
      mornings to get the mesh screen oriented with the flange down the
      first attempt.
      5. Easy to clean.
      6. Sturdy, and so far, reliable - not much can go wrong.

      Areas for improvement:

      1. Mug cover does not fit tight and falls off with the Press stored
      inside.
      2. Plunger pieces rattle around noisily.
      3. Small pieces that are easy to lose.
      4. It is very easy to screw the mesh screen on upside-down. I
      don't see why the hole and threads on the bottom have to be exposed to
      make it so easy to mess this up.
      5. Unless I pour the coffee into another container I can't make a
      hot breakfast while I have my coffee.
      6. Easy to burn my tongue on the scalding hot coffee.

      Kurt Papke
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Kathleen Waters
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2008
          Kurt,

          Great report! I may have to get one of these for my husband for
          Christmas! Good use of pictures. Only a couple of edits and you are
          good to upload. Remember to delete your test file.

          Kathy
          EDIT: I didn't note each instance, but the proper spelling
          is "canister".

          Its noisy enough that I can hear it when I'm hiking.
          EDIT: Change to "It's".

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "kwpapke" <kwpapke@...> wrote:

          > I know I've already got my HH SuperShelter OR queued up, but wanted to
          > get this posted so I don't forget about it.
          >
          > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%
          20Jetboil%20Coffee%20Press%20-%20Kurt%20Papke/

          > or http://tinyurl.com/5vgvk4
        • kwpapke
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen Waters"
            <TheMiddleSister@...> wrote:
            > Only a couple of edits and you are
            > good to upload. Remember to delete your test file.
            > Kathy

            Edits completed and ready to upload. Thanks! However, I am not
            enabled to upload to the directory:

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/Jetboil%20French%20Press/

            Curiously, I *am* enabled to do an upload in nearly every other
            Jetboil cooking accessory. I guess I better get going and bang out
            the OR's ;0)

            In the meantime, if someone could flip the right switch to allow me to
            upload to the "French Press" directory, that would be goodness.

            --Kurt