EDIT: OR - REI Spruce Run Jacket - David Wilkes

  • Hollis Easter
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2008
      Hi David,

      Here are your edits for the REI Spruce Run Insulated Jacket. Nice work!

      They follow the usual conventions for BGT edits:
      EDIT: You must change this.
      Edit: You should change this, or explain why not.
      Comment: Just something to think about.

      There are a few edits that concern typos, and a few places where I've
      asked you to give us a bit more information. When you've made the edits,
      please spell-check them carefully and then upload your report to
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/REI%20Spruce%20Run%20Jacket/
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/699u2r
      and then delete your HTML from the test folder.

      Thanks for your hard work!

      Hollis
      BGT Editor

      > Manufacturer's Website: WWW.REI.com

      Comment: This will still work, but URLs are often written in lower case.

      > Insulation:PrimaLoft One polyester microfiber

      EDIT: need a space between Insulation: and PrimaLoft

      > Average Weight: 15 oz /

      EDIT: need a conversion to metric here.

      > Back length: 29 in / cm

      EDIT: Is this measured or quoted? Also, it needs a metric conversion.

      > Features:
      > Ripstop nylon shell resists rain and is windproof to 60 mph
      > Insulated with high-performance, water-resistant PrimaLoft® One
      > synthetic microfiber to provide soft, low-bulk warmth for very little
      > weight
      > PrimaLoft One mimics the physical and thermal properties of goose
      > down, but continues to insulate if wet
      > Underarms feature decreased insulation to reduce bulk and increase
      > comfort
      > Sleeves zip off to convert jacket to a vest; zippers are color-coded
      > for easy reattachment
      > Windflap backs sleek, reverse-coil front zipper; chin guard protects
      > against zipper abrasion
      > Features a hem drawcord and stretch binding at cuffs and collar
      > Two handwarmer pockets and a zippered inside pocket with headphone
      > port

      Edit: Given that the listed features disagree with some of your later
      statements (color-coded zippers, for example), I think this feature list
      comes from REI. Could you make that clear, whether by saying "Listed
      Features" or "Features (from manufacturer's website)"?

      > I found the Spruce Run to be a very comfortable jacket, the shell and
      > liner material is quite soft and silky. The entire jacket is lined
      > inside and out (including the pockets) with the same silky material.
      > The chin guard is a bit of Fleece material on the backside of the

      Edit: fleece

      > zipper wind stop. The elastic cuffs are snug enough to keep out the

      Edit: maybe "zipper flap"? I think I know what the wind stop is, but I'm
      a bit uncertain.

      > draft but not restrictive. The zippers that attach the sleeves to the
      > jacket prevent the shoulders from stretching, and I find this can
      > make the jacket a bit difficult to put on and take off, especially
      > when wearing a thick under layer. A few times, I worried that I would

      Comment: Good point!

      > brushing up against things like branches and bark. I have even had it
      > snag on the edge of a grocery store shelve. I have tried pulling the

      EDIT: shelf

      > loose threads, but they simply continued to unravel more. So I tried
      > to melt them with a lighter, but the material is so thin and
      > delicate, every time I do it I fear I am going to burn a hole in the
      > jacket.

      EDIT: So what do you do? Do you melt them, but carefully? Or leave them?
      I'd like to see a sentence explaining what your current practice is, and
      how well it works for you. If you melt the threads, does the repair
      continue to unravel? If you don't repair them, does the alleged ripstop
      function of the shell fabric stop the tears eventually?

      > Mt Shasta (3 days) - Washington State 14,179 ft (4,322 m)
      > Mt Adams (2 days) - Washington State 12,281 ft (3,743 m)
      > 2-3 overnight hikes - Washington Cascades (around 4000 ft / 1200m )
      > Assorted day hikes and around home/town

      EDIT: I appreciate the description of your hiking conditions both here
      and below. However, although you talk about the jacket being too warm and the
      night being very cold, you don't tell us what temperatures we're talking
      about. Is a very cold night one that's 31 F, or one that's -31 F?

      > I have worn the jacket quite a bit this year both on the trail and
      > off. I purchased it specifically for my (failed) attempt to summit Mt
      > Shasta. I found it too warm to wear during the hike up to where we
      > camped. Anticipating a very cold night, I slept in the jacket. It was
      > very comfortable to sleep in, but even with temperatures below
      > freezing, I found I had to keep my bag and bivi partially unzipped

      Edit: usually spelled 'bivy'

      > most of the night to avoid overheating. I wore it off and on during

      Comment: Sounds like it's very warm!

      > my Mt Adams trip, mostly at camp and during breaks. During my over
      > night hikes I mostly wear the jacket at camp and for sleeping. The

      EDIT: overnight

      Comment: I've always wondered how Yakima is supposed to be pronounced.
      I've heard YAK-ih-ma and yuh-KEE-ma. How do you guys say it?

      Nice work!
      Hollis
      BGT Editor
    • amatbrewer
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2008
        Hollis,
        Thanks for the edits and comments, I really need to finish my edits
        and post BEFORE I open that first beer <g>

        I could have sworn that REI used the term "wind stop" but could not
        find it again, so I changed it to "windflap" (per the REI description).
        I made all the changes and added two references to the temperature
        being below freezing (I did not have a thermometer at the time so that
        is as accurate as I could really be).
        The corrected file is uploaded, and the original deleted from the OR
        folder.

        As for "Yakima"; It is normally pronounced with a short `i' or short
        `a' (or something in between). The tribe spells their name with an
        `a', Yakama, as in Yakama Nation.

        Thanks again for the edits!
        Dave