OWNER REVIEW - Dueter Futura Zero 30

  • Daniel Penza (RIT Student)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2008
      DEUTER FUTURA ZERO 30
      DANIEL PENZA
      ON
      October 29, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Daniel Penza
      EMAIL: dxp1113@...
      AGE: 20
      LOCATION: Massapequa Park, New York
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 180 lb (81.60 kg)

      I have been backpacking for about 5 years either doing day hikes or long weekend trips. I like to have everything necessary for any situation while backpacking. I also like to include rock climbing into my hiking adventures.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Deuter
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<www.deuter.com>>
      MSRP: US$119.99
      Listed Weight: 48 oz (1360g)
      Other details: Aircomfort Technology

      FIELD USE

      The second weekend in October of 2008 I went to T-Lake Falls in New York's Adirondack Park, the trail was about 4 miles to a shelter plus another 3 miles of "bush waking" to the largest waterfall in New York State. I spent the night at the shelter after visiting the water falls. The Dueter Futura Zero 30 held my hammock, sleeping bag, stove, food, trekking poles, first aid kid, rainfly, camera, gps, water purifier, water bladder, water bottle and enough clothes for the whole weekend. I didn't have a problem with this bag one bit, it stuck to my back comfortably and able to hold all my gear. The only thing I wish it had was two straps on the bottom to put a tent or sleeping back, leaving more room in the pack itself. The pack's straps are a little too long for me, so instead of cutting them I rolled and taped them to my likings. During the hike I got pretty sweaty but the Aircomfort feature, which tops off the specialness of this pack, helped air flow onto my back. This is a great feature! Another great thing is the belt pocket which I keep my chapstick and hand sanitizer, to pocket is big enough to fit a small digital camera.

      SUMMARY

      The Dueter Futura Zero 30, is a slim 3lb pack designed for day hikes and possibly overnight trips. It is capable of carrying a water bladder, and has two side pockets and a belt pocket. There is also an adjustable mesh pocket on the back perfect for a raincoat. The material on the pack is very durable. The feature that makes this pack from the "Futura" is the Aircomfort system which helps air circulate onto your back keeping it from getting sweaty and gross. Also it is very easy to carry trekking poles and an ice axe with its adjustable gear straps on the back. The side pockets are very cabable of carry almost any thing, they are expandable and made of mesh so you can see small items. There is no attached rain cover, but you can easy find one for this pack.

      THINGS I LIKE

      -Aircomfort Back Vent
      -Perfect for Day or Overnight Hikes
      -Comfortable
      -Straps for Trekking Poles and Ice Axe
      -Side Pocket
      -Not to Heavy
      -Fits water bladder perfectly

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      -Straps are too Long
      -There are no compression straps for Sleeping Bag or Tent
      -Can be packed too much for water bladder not to fit.
      -No attached rain cover

      Overall Rating

      4 and 1/2 out of 5

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2008
        Welcome to BackpackGearTest Daniel.

        Thank you for your Owner Review, and your interest in becoming a
        tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now your review is lacking in
        some areas and cannot be accepted for editing at this time. It is
        not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their
        first OR is ready for the editing process.
        Because there are several areas that need work in your review I
        would highly recommend you take a look into our Mentoring Program.

        Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with
        experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
        If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
        request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn
        K, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST
        in the subject line.

        Another option would be to choose a more simple piece of gear as our
        first review. A backpack is a more complicated items and requires
        far more detail than you have given. Please take a second look at
        our Owner Review requirements spelled out in the How to Become a
        Tester section of our webpage (link below). In addition to this
        material we suggest reading some recently approved owner reviews to
        get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

        Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give
        it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We
        look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

        Edit Administration Manager

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Penza (RIT