EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Jetboil PCS

  • Justin Heikkinen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
      Andrew,

      Edits and slight rewording made per your recommendations below. I'm a bit
      embarrassed by how many times I had it's in lieu of its - I'm blaming it on
      my doc editing program...or my 3rd grade teacher. One change I didn't make
      "EDIT: Please change all Jetboil to JetBoil as this is the correct
      spelling." - the manufacturer refers to themself as Jetboil (lower case b)
      across their site, thus assuming that's the correct spelling.

      *************************************

      Jetboil PCS (Personal Cooking System)
      10/29/2008

      Name: Justin Heikkinen
      Age: 32
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 4" (1.9 m)
      Weight: 200 pounds (91 kg)
      Email address: nitsuj@...
      City: Redwood City
      State: CA
      Country: USA

      Backpacking background: Have spent most of my life camping, but really only
      the past summer as a 'hardcore' backpacker. I value lightweight gear, but
      value something that does its intended job well over and above all and am
      willing to carry the extra weight for quality gear. Due to my size I find
      it hard to find gear that works for me.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Jetboil, Inc.
      Year of manufacture: 2007
      Listed weight: 15 oz (425 g, without fuel canister)
      Delivered weight: 15 oz (425 g)
      External dimensions: 4.1 in x 7.1 in (10.4 cm x 18 cm)
      Total capacity: 1 liter (34 fl oz)
      Manufacturer's recommended capacity: 500 ml (17 fl oz)
      MSRP: $89.95 US

      Product Description:
      The Jetboil "system" consists of an aluminum 1 liter (34 fl oz) cooking cup
      with neoprene insulating sleeve, the burner with piezo lighter, lid with
      hole for drinking directly from the cook cup, and black plastic bottom
      cover, as well as the fuel canister. The system was designed smartly, with
      the fuel and burner nesting inside the cooking cup, thus allowing the entire
      system to take up less room in your pack than a Nalgene bottle. The "secret
      sauce" that allows the Jetboil to boil water rapidly is the FluxRing on the
      bottom of the aluminum cup, which looks like corrugated aluminum running
      along the diameter, that helps focus and retain the heat from the burner to
      eliminate wasted fuel. I find that the smart design of the Jetboil system
      allows me to pack all of my cooking gear into one exterior side pocket in my
      pack with room to spare, something I couldn't do with my previous cook
      setup. Further, as the neoprene sleeve has an extra amount of material sewn
      to its exterior to hold your silverware, I'm able to keep not just my stove
      but also my cooking utensils within the Jetboil's form factor. I could not
      be happier with the design of the stove and can't think of anything that
      could be done smarter.

      Field Information:
      For the purposes of this review the Jetboil has been used about 20 times,
      primarily in the upper eastern Sierras of California, with one foray into
      the southern Cascades (also in CA), with a low camp altitude of 6000 ft
      (1820 m) and a high 10,200 ft (3109 m). The temperatures encountered have
      ranged from a low of 30 F (-1 C) to highs in the upper 90s F (32 C). Snow,
      rain and wind were all encountered at one point or another during the
      timeframe this review encompasses.

      Introduction:
      I don't consider myself a backcountry gourmet by any stretch of the
      imagination, and for years have carried a typical top mounted canister stove
      as a way to quickly and easily boil water and cook simple meals while
      sacrificing a minimum amount of pack space and weight. After hearing many
      positive experiences with the Jetboil PCS over a period of years (and
      letting others be the beta testers for a new product...) I finally decided
      to take the leap when I found one at a super sale earlier this year, and it
      quickly became my favorite piece of gear - and in fact all my non-Jetboil
      friends became believers and owners as well after taking trips with me and
      the 'boil. The manufacturer's website states that the stove "has sparked a
      revolution in outdoor cooking" and boils water "twice as fast" while using
      "half as much fuel as conventional stoves". It's a rare occasion when the
      marketing speak actually lives up to its word, but that's exactly what the
      Jetboil does, and does well.

      Performance:
      I've found that the Jetboil performs admirably in all conditions, with a few
      exceptions. The stove lights reliably by turning the gas on, clicking the
      piezo igniter a few times (or lighting a match), and *WOOM* your own
      personal Boeing 737 engine is ready. Attach the aluminum cook cup with a
      twist to lock it on and wait. For most people on most trips the Jetboil
      will light and boil their desired volume of water within a few minutes
      time. My routine usually consists of lighting the stove/attaching cook cup
      with water, than proceeding to get my dry meal ingredients ready. By the
      time I'm done (and quite often before) my water is boiling and ready. The
      first time I used the stove I couldn't help but laugh at how quickly it was
      able to boil my water.

      One thing that's also nice about the Jetboil is that due to its design it's
      much less affected by the wind. With wind and my old canister stove one
      could actually put their hand 4" (10cm) to the leeward side of the pot and
      feel the full brunt of the flame, leaving the pot to sit cool. However, I
      find that any sort of heat/flame deflection due to wind is stifled by the
      Jetboil design and have yet to have a flame put out due to wind gusts.

      Now, about those exceptions. In cold weather and/or altitude you will find
      that it takes a bit longer to boil water than usual with the Jetboil. In
      fact, some users new to canister stoves may not be able to even get it to
      light. However, this isn't an issue unique to the Jetboil PCS, it's a
      limitation of all canister stoves. You can work around this problem by
      keeping your fuel canister in your jacket next to your body or putting it at
      the foot of your sleeping bag, thus keeping it warm. You can also put the
      bottom of the stove in water to help keep the boil alive. Again, these
      aren't limitations unique to the Jetboil, but it is something to keep in
      mind if you're planning on using the Jetboil (or any canister stove) as your
      primary method of cooking for winter tours.

      Durability:
      As mentioned in my background brief, I tend to be hard on gear. It's not
      that I'm not delicate with it....well, maybe that is what it is, and though
      I try to be as delicate as seems reasonable many outdoor products these days
      seem to be made to be handled with kid gloves - sacrificing durability for
      weight. Thus far I've been impressed with the durability of the Jetboil
      with one exception. The piezo igniter in the Jetboil PCS has only lit my
      stove ONCE in all its uses! I've tried tweaking it per the manufacturer's
      recommendation to no avail. It puts out a spark, but it's a very minimal
      spark compared to some I've played with in stores. However, as I typically
      don't place faith in piezo igniters and always carry waterproof matches with
      me this has not been a deal breaking issue for me. However, it's something
      to be made aware of so one doesn't find themself a two day hike from
      civilization with no back up way to light your stove. Other than a few
      scratches on the plastic bottom, and a few scratches on the bottom of the
      aluminum cook surface from carrying the fuel canister, my Jetboil looks as
      good as the day I purchased it. Considering the number of uses its had over
      the past 9 months, and the minimal wear to the product, I fully expect to
      have it for years with no issues.

      and I feel it offers the best trade-off between ease of use, weight, size,
      durability and price, and were mine to be stolen or lost I would not
      hesitate to pay full-price for a new one (though I can't lie, I'd initially
      cringe as paying full-price is not my favorite thing to do).

      Pros:
      -Boils water quickly
      -Durable
      -Self contained system

      Cons:
      -Reduced performance in cold weather/altitude (though not unique to the
      Jetboil)
      -Piezo igniter seems to be a bit delicate/fickle. I've played with a few
      floor display models and would guess that 60% put out a minimal flame such
      as mine, whereas the other 40% put out a lightning bolt that would be more
      than able to ignite the stove.

    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
        You are correct on the spelling of Jetboil. For some reason, I thought it
        was capital B. Either way, go ahead and upload to the test folder and I'll
        edit the HTML version.

        AB

        _____
        Visit Corridor9
        http://www.corridor9.net
        ____________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2008
          html version added to the site, can be found at *
          http://tinyurl.com/jetboilPCS*

          *************************************

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2008
            Justin, you didn't upload to the test folder. You are not allowed to upload to the main site until the report has been edited. I deleted your report as it was in the wrong area. Reupload your report to this directory please: http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

            AB

            _____
            Visit Corridor9
            http://www.corridor9.net
            ____________________________
          • bigjus2004
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2008
              Re-uploaded it here. Misunderstood what you meant when you said to
              upload it the other day.

              http://tinyurl.com/JetboilPCS2

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov" <rescue@...>
              wrote:

              > Justin, you didn't upload to the test folder. You are not allowed to
              upload to the main site until the report has been edited. I deleted
              your report as it was in the wrong area. Reupload your report to this
              directory please: http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

              > AB
              >
              > _____
              > Visit Corridor9
              > Blogging about BackpackGearTest.org, Firefighting, Linux, Hiking and
              more!
              > http://www.corridor9.net
              > ____________________________

            • Andrew Buskov
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 16, 2008
                Here ya go!

                As usual;
                EDIT: Change Me
                Edit: Think about changing me
                Comment: Everything else

                Please make sure you add a picture, and correct all edits. After making sure everything is taken care of, upload to this folder: http://tinyurl.com/yueso

                Congratulations on completing your first Owner Review.

                AB
                _____
                Visit Corridor9
                http://www.corridor9.net
                ____________________________

                EDIT: Your OR needs a picture of the item. Personally, I prefer taking
                pictures of gear as opposed to getting one from the manufacturer's
                website, but either will work as long as you have a picture. If you do use
                the one from the website, be sure to credit the manufacturer for the
                picture.

                > Jetboil PCS (Personal Cooking System)
                > 10/29/2008
                EDIT: The title needs to be unique, bigger, and thus give the report a
                clear starting point. I'd suggest centering it and increasing the font a
                few times. Also, go ahead and change the date to the current date.

                > Backpacking background: Have spent most of my life camping, but really only
                > the past summer as a 'hardcore' backpacker. I value lightweight gear, but
                > value something that does its intended job well over and above all and am
                > willing to carry the extra weight for quality gear. Due to my size I find
                > it hard to find gear that works for me.
                EDIT: Need more information regarding your background. What style shelter
                do you use? What is your typical pack weight; heavy, lightweight, or Ultralight? Etc.

                > Year of manufacture: 2007
                EDIT: This link is not clickable in the HTML. Please make it so.

                > Manufacturer's recommended capacity: 500 ml (17 fl oz)
                > MSRP: $89.95 US
                EDIT: Current price is listed as $99.95. Please revise

                > Now, about those exceptions. In cold weather and/or altitude you will
                EDIT: Please refrain from "you" in this sentence.

                > to be made aware of so one doesn't find themself a two day hike from
                > civilization with no back up way to light your stove. Other than a few
                EDIT: Please remove "your" and substitute another word.

                > I've played with a few
                > floor display models and would guess that 60% put out a minimal flame such
                > as mine, whereas the other 40% put out a lightning bolt that would be more
                > than able to ignite the stove.
                EDIT: This information needs to be in the text portion of the review, not the cons section.

              • Andrew Buskov
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
                  Justin,

                  I assume you got my last edits for the Jetboil PCS?
                  Msg #76784

                  All you need to do is upload and you've finished your first OR. Please don't give up now!

                  AB
                  _____
                  Visit Corridor9
                  http://www.corridor9.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
                    Thank you AB for following up with Justin. I didn't realize your
                    last edit was also an approval. It only said edit in the title so I
                    missed it.

                    Jamie