OWNER REVIEW--Cabela's® Women's 7- Pocket Hiker Stretch Shorts

  • Liz Stevens
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2008
      Below is my OR #1 for editing. I tried sending this by email on
      10/24/08. If you have it and I missed it, please excuse the repetition.

      Liz Stevens

      Cabela's® Women's 7-Pocket Hiker Stretch Shorts
      October 20, 2008

      NAME: Liz Stevens
      EMAIL: lizstevensart(at)yahoo(dot)com
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Grand Canyon, AZ
      GENDER: f
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      I'm an artist, illustrator and outdoor enthusiast. I started hiking
      in earnest 2 years ago to become more fit. I'm pretty much a day
      hiker, but I've also taken backpacking trips from 2 to 5 days long. I
      plan to take longer trips as my fitness level improves. I hike most
      often in steep, arid terrain where water, elevation and heat are big
      factors. My main concerns are comfort, fatigue reduction, and
      hydration on the trail. My pack weight is not usually more than 35
      pounds (15.88 Kilograms), but I am interested in reducing that so I
      can carry more art supplies for sketching on the trail.

      Manufacturer: Cabela's®
      "http://www.cabelas.com" LINK TEXT = "Cabelas Home">>
      MSRP: $22.95 US
      Listed Weight: no weight listed
      Women's even sizes 4 - 20 (US)
      Other details: These shorts are made from a canvas fabric that is 96%
      cotton, 4% spandex. They feature 7 pockets, including button and
      bellows pockets in front, a knife pocket on one side, and
      "button-through" rear pockets. They have 2" (5.08 cm) belt loops and
      an 8" (20.32 cm) inseam. The front rise for size 10 is 12 1/2" (31.75
      cm). They are available in the following colors: Khaki, Stone,
      Mineral Grey, Sagebrush, Sand Dune, Blue Haze, and some styles are
      also available in Denim. (sample colors from Cabela's® Website)

      "Stone Color">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "Mineral Grey Color">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT =
      "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Sage Brush Color">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE.
      ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7" IMAGE CAPTION = "Sand Dune Color">> <<IMAGE
      GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Blue Haze Color">>
      "Weathered Indigo Color">>

      I tested these shorts for eight weeks at lakeside in North Central
      Kentucky, on the rim and below during numerous day hikes in Grand
      Canyon, Arizona, as well as on a 5 day backpacking trip on the Whitney
      Trail in California. Weather conditions ranged from humid to arid,
      rainy to dry, and elevations ranged from about 700 feet (213 meters)
      to over 10,000 feet (3,048 meters).

      Cabela's® Women's 7-Pocket Hiker Shorts have been around for a while.
      They are available in 3 styles: 'Classic', 'Stretch' and 'Modern
      Fit'. The 'Classic' style is made of 100% cotton canvas. The
      'Stretch' style is the same as the 'Classic', but is 96% Cotton, 4%
      Lycra so the fabric will give a little with movement. The 'Modern
      Fit' shorts have a lower rise (sit lower on the hips) and a shorter
      inseam (5 inches/12.7 centimeters).

      LINK TEXT = "Cabela's Women's 7-Pocket Hiker Stretch Shorts">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Women's 7 Pocket Stretch Shorts" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "Cabela's® Women's 7-Pocket Hiker Stretch Shorts - Sand
      "Modern Fit Shorts in Blue Haze">>
      (Photos from Cabela's® website)

      I decided to purchase the 'Stretch' style because I tend to fluctuate
      in weight, and thought the spandex would help with fit. I also am
      fairly long legged, so I liked the longer inseam length. The canvas
      stretch material was fairly heavy, but the addition of the lycra made
      it comfortable and not stiff. Small pleats in the front, below the
      belt loops, gave me a little extra room in the tummy area. Thus,
      there was no binding or bunching across the front, or at the upper
      thighs. With the lycra addition to the fabric, the shorts didn't seem
      to wrinkle as badly, even after several day's wear without washing.
      And when they were eventually washed, they didn't seem to shrink as
      much as most all-cotton garments do, and came out of the dryer

      Another nice feature of these shorts was the myriad pockets. There
      are actually 4 pockets in the front, one pocket on the side, and two
      pockets in the rear for a total of seven in all. The main front
      pockets are 'bellows' style, meaning they have a pleat at the bottom
      to expand outward when full. Each main pocket has a smaller flap
      pocket sewn onto it. There is a 'knife' pocket (long and narrow)
      along the right side seam, and there are two pleated, button-closed
      pockets in the rear. There is plenty of cargo space in these shorts,
      and the front pockets, which I tend to use most, are deep and roomy.
      The front button pockets give secure storage, and the knife pocket is
      handy, although the button closures are a little cumbersome to use
      one-handed. I don't really use the back pockets much, but they are
      plenty big enough for those who do, and also have a pleat in them so
      they can expand a bit as well.

      The 8" inseam sounded a bit long to me, but the shorts actually hit me
      at just above mid-thigh. I don't like a real short inseam because I
      don't like to reveal too much thigh when I sit or bend over. These
      shorts fit that bill perfectly, and didn't ride-up as I walked.

      I'm not sure what advantage a 2" (5.08 cm) belt loop has, except maybe
      to keep your belt from sliding around at the waist. I try not to
      wear a belt, especially when I'm wearing a pack, so the belt loops
      didn't concern me much. If anything, I found the wide loops to be a
      disadvantage when I wanted to clip a carabiner through. The width of
      the belt loop made it difficult to do so.

      belt in Khaki">>
      (photo courtesy Cabela's® website)

      As for the cotton/lycra blend fabric, it was a little heavy, and
      cotton tends to absorb moisture, so the shorts took a long time to dry
      if they got wet. This is okay under dry, hot conditions, but causes a
      bit of a chill in cooler temperatures, or at altitudes above 8,000
      feet (2,438 meters).

      I have owned these shorts for two years and I can honestly say they
      have worn very, very well. After much use, the only wear spots are
      some fraying along the leg hem edges, and at the stress points of the
      pockets in the rear. The material has maintained its stretch,
      although the color (I chose olive) has faded from repeated washings.
      The shorts did shrink a bit in length, but not overly so. I have lost
      buttons on one of the rear pockets and the knife pocket, but I don't
      really use those pockets much so it's not a problem for me.

      The sizing of the shorts was accurate for women's sizing (US), but if
      you're in doubt, the web site has a size chart with measurements so
      you can find the size closest to your actual measurements. I did find
      the shorts to have a "relaxed" type fit.

      The great thing about Cabela's® is that they offer a 100% satisfaction
      guarantee. If you're not happy for any reason you can return the item
      for your money back, no questions asked. Unfortunately, return
      shipping is at your cost, unless the mistake was Cabela's. Return
      instructions come with your purchase, or can be found on the website.
      LINK TEXT = "Cabela's® Customer Service - Return Merchandise">> You
      can return an online order to a Cabela's® retail store, as long as the
      item is one that can be purchased in the store. They have several
      stores nationwide (see the website to find a location nearest you)
      LINK TEXT = "Cabela's® Retail Store Locator">> and I have to say, if
      you do go to a retail store, you're in for a treat. But that's another

      -comfortable stretch fabric
      -lots of roomy pockets
      -great quality
      -satisfaction guarantee

      -2" belt loops
      -button closure pockets
      -cotton fabric retains moisture
      -returns are at buyer's expense

      Liz Stevens

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Administration Manager
      • Liz Stevens
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2008

          My OR has been posted per your instructions.

          Thanks so much for all your help and patience! WooHOO! One OR down,
          one to go! If the next one goes half as well, I'll be testing soon!

          Thanks again,
          Liz Stevens