Brad Banker Please Read - Re: Owner Review - 1st attempt. MSR Simmerlite

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2008

      Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
      are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
      Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
      manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
      All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
      timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

      Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
      submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
      applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
      the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
      the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
      the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
      yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • pamwyant
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
        EDIT: OR MSR SIMMERLITE – Brad Banker

        Hi Brad,

        You have obviously put a lot of work and thought into this review.
        It's really good for a first attempt at an Owner Review. Here at
        BackpackGearTest.org we have developed some standards that we like to
        see reports meet, so you do have some work before the report is ready
        for final uploading. I'm here to help make sure your reviews meet
        those standards before we put it online for the whole world to read,
        which generally speaking is a good thing.

        We also have an editing convention. Although it may vary slightly by
        editor, it basically comes down to this:

        EDIT: this means a required edit as stated.
        Edit: You need to do some re-wording or explain why a change
        shouldn't be made
        Comment: Food for thought, or sometimes merely a comment on
        something that jumps out when we read your report.

        With that said, here are your edits:

        ### EDIT: We prefer that you put the type of gear in the title.
        I.E. MSR Simmerlite Stove

        BY BRAD BANKER
        OR
        ### Edit: This may be generated by the report writer, if so you can
        ignore this one, but we prefer that `owner review' be spelled out.

        October 04, 2008

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Brad Banker
        EMAIL: brad_banker@...
        AGE: 34
        LOCATION: Greensbro, NC

        ### EDIT: You missed an `o' in Greensboro

        GENDER: m
        HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.80 m)
        WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)

        I went on my first backpacking trip at 5 years old, and hiked quite a
        bit as a child. I picked it back up in my 20's, and have been
        regularly backpacking now for well over 10 years. I mostly backpack
        the mountains of NC and VA on 1-5 night trips from solo to groups of
        10 or, most of it on or around the AT.

        ### EDIT: I think you missed the word `more' (groups of 10 or more)

        I backpack in all seasons
        from >90 degrees F to 0 and below. My main hiking companions are my
        wife (when it's not too cold) and my two golden retrievers.

        ### Comment: The greater than symbol looks a little odd, especially
        since these types of symbols are often shown in replies, etc.
        Perhaps you'd just like to use the word `over' instead.

        ### EDIT: You need the metric conversions for your temperatures.
        Also, we generally do not use the word `degrees'. 90 F will
        suffice. The conversion tool here has some good information at the
        end on how we like to see abbreviations, etc. written out:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer: MSR
        Year of Manufacture: 2004
        Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrgear.com/stoves/simmerlite.asp
        MSRP: $99.95 US
        Listed Weight: 8.5 oz oz (240g)

        ### EDIT: remove extra `oz'

        Measured Weight: 10.1 oz (289 g) With stuff sack and repair kit.

        ### Edit: Your conversion is slightly off. 289 g would be 10.2 oz,
        or 10.1 oz is 286 g. Please fix appropriately. Also, the `w'
        in `with' should not be capitalized in this use.

        Other details: Comes with small wrench, o-ring and sealant. Make
        sure you let the stove cool fully before you place it in it's stuff
        sack, or the plastic bag which contains the repair kit will melt.

        ### EDIT: We try to avoid using the word `you' since it is what we
        call projection – concluding what others might do. Please re-word to
        make it from your point of view, or generic. I.E. `I make sure I
        let the stove cool…' OR `Make sure the stove is fully cool before
        placing it in…

        ### EDIT: Also, in this use `its' does not have an apostrophe.

        ### EDIT: We need a product description in your own words. What
        does the stove look like? How does it connect with the fuel tank?
        How tall is it? How wide? Where does the fuel line come in? How
        does it fold? Paint us a word picture of the stove as if you were
        trying to describe it to someone who had never seen one. Give us as
        many details as you can think of. If you get stuck, you can read a
        few recent owner reviews on stoves on BackpackGearTest.org to see the
        type of description we are looking for. Just be sure to use your own
        words when you are ready to write.

        FIELD USE

        Owner review after 4 dedicated years of use.
        I have experience using many types of stoves including the old
        Coleman Exponent Feather 442 Dual-Fuel Stove (which is not made of
        feathers at 1.8 oz empty,) MSR Whisperlite, homemade soda can
        denatured alcohol stoves, and isobutane canister stoves.
        I was looking for a go between for my very heavy, but bomb proof
        Coleman and my soda can stoves. I needed an option that allowed me
        to simmer if necessary, but afforded me the ability to melt snow for
        water - but of course at a lighter weight.

        ### EDIT: We don't mention other manufacturer products by name in
        comparison with items we are reviewing. It would be fine to state
        you have a heavier dual fuel stove, but do not state the name of the
        company/product of the Coleman stove.

        My prior experience with my old whisperlite years ago lead me to have
        realistic expectations about my simmerlite, as I knew what to expect
        with priming and cleaning using the Shaker Jet.

        ### EDIT: Capitalize both Whisperlite and Simmerlite. It is okay to
        use comparisons with the same manufacturers different product lines,
        so this is fine.

        My initial experience with priming and lighting the stove was a very
        large fireball on my back deck. The instructions read "Release only
        1/2 spoon full of fuel. Open pump control valve several turns and
        let fuel wet entire burner head. Immediately close pump control
        valve." The directions state that a small soccer ball sized flame is
        normal. It was much more than a soccer ball the first time. I found
        this harder than my old whisperlite in that the burner holes seemed
        to slope downward more, and the fuel spilled onto the ground easier.

        ### EDIT: Capitalize Whisperlite.

        ### Comment: my grammar check says a comma is not necessary after
        the words `downward more', but I'll leave that up to you as we try to
        avoid editing for commas.

        Once I practiced this 8-10 times, I got the hang of it, and was able
        to get a softball sized fireball upon ignition and just enough fuel
        to warm the burner, drop into the fuel catch cup below , prime the
        stove before opening the valve again to fire the burners.

        ### Edit: you need the word `and' in front of `prime the stove'.

        Simmering only took a few tries to master. I read many reviews
        myself before selecting this stove and read many complaints about not
        being able to get this stove to simmer, but I may have spent enough
        time futzing with my whisperlite (which is not supposed to be able to
        simmer, but it can somewhat if you play with it enough) and my not as
        light as a feather 442, that it was pretty easy.

        ### EDIT: Capitalize `Whisperlite'. Also, remove reference to the
        442 (you can say `dual fuel stove')

        I have used this stove in every weather from 95F to 0F and altitudes
        of around 6000 feet with great results. It folds up very nicely, and
        fits into my SnowPeak Trek1400 Titanium pot along with two lexan
        spoons very well.

        ### EDITS: Need temperature conversions, and capitalize `Lexan'.

        ### Comments: Can you give us any idea of the approximate number of
        uses? Have you used it with different pots?

        I do notice that there is a lot of soot under and on the stove after
        use, which I do not remember as much on my Whisperlite.
        For my cooking setup the pot support width is fine, but if you use a
        larger pot, such as a 4 quart pot with a wide base, you may have
        tipping problems if you are not on perfectly level ground.

        ### EDIT: Re-word to avoid using the word `you'.

        ### Comment: You might mention whether you have problems with the
        pots sliding or if there are grooves that help keep this from
        happening.

        I have both a 22oz and 11oz fuel bottle, but most commonly use the
        11oz bottle. It seems to be plenty for 2-4 people for 2-3 days,
        which are representative of most of my trips. I have found that if I
        use the supplied wind screen and heat reflector bottom (which add an
        extra 2 ounces to my previously mentioned weight) boil times in the
        field are around 3-4 minutes as advertised. Fuel consumption is on
        par with MSR's tables as well, but if you do need to cook multiple
        things at one meal, only priming the stove once and cooking
        everything at one time saves a considerable amount of fuel.

        ### EDIT: Re-word to avoid using the word `you'.

        SUMMARY

        This stove is my go to stove for high volume, multiple meal cooking,
        or any cold weather application. I still revert to my trusty old
        soda can stove for fair weather solo trips,and for warm weekends with
        just my wife I sometimes still use my isobutane PocketRocket stove.
        I would not hesitate to recommend or purchase the Simmerlite Stove
        again. Stove weight, efficiency, boil times, ease of use and
        reliability are on par with MSR's advertising and reputation.

        THINGS I LIKE

        Light weight for white gas stove.
        Relative ease of use if you are used to MSR's products.

        ### EDIT: re-word to avoid using `you'. Do you think that ease of
        use is different with MSR's products, or is it just the nature of a
        liquid fuel stove? You might consider re-wording to reflect that.

        Truley simmers when you need it if you practice.

        ### EDIT: Remove extra `e' in Truly, and re-word to remove `you'.

        Easy to clean and maintain with supplied parts and ShakerJet.

        ### EDIT: Please check and use the manufacturer term for `Shaker
        Jet'. You use it as two words earlier in the report, but as one
        here. Correct either here or above.

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        Lots of soot on the stove.
        Average pot support width.

        ### Comment: Is average width really a dislike? Wouldn't that be a
        trade-off with portability and ease of packing if it were wider?

        Can be difficult to learn to prime without a fireball and potentially
        loosing your eyebrows and hair.

        ### EDIT: spelling of `losing', and remove `you'.

        Can be difficult to learn to simmer, unless you practice.

        ### EDIT: Remove `you'

        **************************************** (end edits)
        Now, your next step is to make the necessary corrections, upload a
        test HTML version to the test folder on BackpackGearTest.org here:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/

        You will need to log in to be able to see the test folder and to
        upload.

        Once you have the test version uploaded to BackpackGearTest.org,
        please also post a revised text versions here with a link to the HTML
        version. Use the title "Repost: OR MSR Simmerlite – Brad Banker

        Thanks for your patience in this process. The first owner review
        often requires a few revisions, but your second should go a little
        faster as you learn the procedures and the standards we like to abide
        by.

        I look forward to your repost,

        Pam Wyant
        Owner Review Editor
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
          Brad,

          I am sorry I did not see your revised edition before I posted your
          edit. Let's handle it this way - I see you caught some of the things
          (including a product description). Go ahead and correct the items
          that are still pertinent from my edit of the original in your revised
          version, then go ahead and upload an HTML version to the test folder
          and repost here for another check.

          I do see one thing that will need to be changed in the revised
          version. Although you will see packaging details in some older
          reports, in general we now try to avoid describe packaging such as
          plain cardboard boxes in the report, as they just are not pertinent.
          The exceptions to describing packaging might be if there is a lot of
          information on the package such as sock hangtags with fabric content
          information, etc.

          Once you repost, I'll check for anything else that may need changed
          and we'll go from there.

          Thanks, and sorry for any inconvenience,

          Pam