Edit: SOLE footbeds - Ray Estrella

  • rcaffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2008
      Edit: SOLE footbeds - Ray Estrella

      Hi Ray

      100th eh? Well done!
      Some edits for you to consider, plus the usual slew of my
      'meant-to-be-humerous' comments.

      I did try to find 100 edits just for this occasion, but no joy.

      Folder at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Footbeds%20and%20Insoles/SOLE%20Ed%20Viesturs%20Signature%20Edition/

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
      ------------------------------
      > Yosemite National Park. This hike saw 15200 (4633 m) of elevation
      EDIT: Missing 'ft' or ' symbol

      > started with a 41 lb (18.6 kg) pack weight.
      > My pack weight was around 42 lb (19 kg).
      > My pack weight was over 50 lb (22.7 kg)
      > My pack was near 50 lb (22.7 kg) starting out.
      Comment: Man, you got rocks in your head! Way too heavy!

      > I have used after-market insoles of a non-moldable nature for many
      > years in boots that the stock pair doesn't cut it
      Edit: maybe you could make this just a bit clearer?
      'in boots where the supplied pair doesn't ...'

      > Think of a tall ugly duck with high arches. Give it a backpack
      > and you have Ray.
      Comment: does it quack?

      > With my plastic-double boots I did not care for the stock felt inner
      > boots and bought a pair of custom heat molded inners that cost almost
      > as much as the boots themselves.
      Edit: I am confused here, so others may be also. I though the felt
      inner boots which sometimes come with plastic boots were an essential
      part of the design, meant for insulation. Did you discard them
      completely? If so, what about the volume the felt boots filled? Or did
      you add the inners to the felt boots?

      > But until meeting Jenn, I had never thought of them for regular boots.
      Edit: um ... what has meeting Jenn got to do with custom inner soles?
      Confused.

      > The Ed Viesturs Signature Editions were heated and fit for me by
      EDIT: 'fitted'

      > until my wife, who has been using the Sole footbeds for years was out
      Comment: myself, I would either delete the comma or add one after 'years'

      > I put the footbeds into my boots, wearing my normal winter socks I
      Edit: longish sentence. I would prefer to break it at the comma, OR
      insert 'then' after the comma.

      > Note: Sole does not say anything about this method of ensuring
      proper foot
      Edit?: Maybe 'SOLE', to be consistent with other use?

      > My feet were not AS sore after a crazy high-distance day backpacking
      Comment: boots .... give me joggers any day.

      > They helped my foot fit the boots better also which had been a major
      EDIT: either 'feet', or 'boot' - all singular or all plural.

      > I am pretty impressed with the SOLE footbeds. I will continue to use
      > them in all of the boots which they will fit in.
      Edit: I am left wondering whether you have just one pair of SOLE
      inners which you are swapping around between different shoes, or
      several. The confusion in my mind is because I was thinking that the
      different shoes surely have slightly different shapes, so surely you
      should mold the inner to suit each one?

      I can't use them in my trail runners and low hiking shoes.
      Edit: why not? Enquiring minds want to know!
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2008
        Hi Roger,

        Thank you for the help and edits as always. I made all changes and
        added to make things clearer about the inner-boots of the plastic
        doubles. I actually replaced the entire inner-boot. The felt ones are
        gone. I tend to forget that not everyone knows what I am thinkingÂ…

        I tried to make it clearer also that these (and the other pair I
        bought) are for high volume boots. That is why they can't be used in
        running shoes and such. They make thinner types for other shoes, but I
        do not have any. I tend to go through my trail runners pretty quick and
        with the weight I carry with them on being so low I do not have any
        issues with most supplied insoles.

        I will upload it, but if you think I need to be clearer yet let me know.