EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Kelty Gunnison 2 Tent

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2008
      EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Kelty Gunnison 2 Tent

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "johnschlafer"
      <johnschlafer@...> wrote:

      > Andre,
      >
      > I've edited my review and added pictures. I uploaded the HTML to
      > the owner review test platform. My OR can be found at:
      > http://tinyurl.com/4j3m4t
      >
      > Thanks so much for your help thus far, and I look forward to hearing
      > from you.
      >
      > Best,
      > John

      John, thanks for your repost. I feel that I should apologize for the
      delay in my response again. It's usually much faster once the initial
      edit's been done, but your response must have slipped my radar.

      Anyway - to your edits.

      1) In the future, please include the text version of your report with
      your post in addition to the html link - it makes editing much
      easier. Yes, this has been discussed at some length and we do require
      both.

      2) I note some of the conversions (you seem to have included them
      with every measurement, excellent!) are off regarding their writing.
      Please go over them once and make sure that units given conform to
      the units listing at the bottom of our conversion page ("lb"
      for "pounds", rather than "lbs", "kg" for Kilograms and "m" for
      meters) and that there's a space between each measurement and the
      corresponding unit.

      3) I like your pictures. They sure help to get a good idea of what
      the tent is about. And I think this may be the first first-timer
      Owner Review that includes the maximum of 15 pictures. By the way,
      the ALT text for your 14th picture just reads "The" - I believe it's
      intended to say "The gear hammock from below" or something along
      those lines.

      4) Under Product Description you state "This design is intended make
      the clips easily to slip on, but " which should read "... intended
      *to* make the clips *easy* to ..."

      5) OR you go with the sentence immediately after that. They both say
      the same thing. Please decide on one and delete the redundant one.

      That's it!

      Once you've taken care of this, please repost again, with text in
      your repost and a link to the html version and I'll look it over once
      more. We're almost there!

      Please feel free to shoot me a message sideband to notify me of your
      repost once you've reposted. I'm going on a business trip pretty soon
      and am afraid it may take me longer than it should to get back to
      your report.

      Regards,

      André
    • johnschlafer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2008
        Hi Andre,

        Here is my second revision.

        Thanks,
        John

        Kelty Gunnison 2 Tent

        Biographical Information:

        Name: John Schlafer

        Age: 26

        Gender: Male

        Height: 6'3"(1.9 m)

        Weight: 210lb (95.25 kg)

        Email Address: John[dot]Schlafer[at]gmail[dot]com

        Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA

        Date: August 19, 2008

        Backpacking Background: I am new to backpacking. I do a long day hike
        every month or so. I've done two three-day two-night trips, and I
        backpacked 200 miles (322 km) of the Appalachian Trail in the spring
        of '08. I like to hike light, but I have a small gear budget. So I try
        to go for a nice balance of light and inexpensive.

        Product Information:

        Product: Kelty Gunnison 2

        Manufacturer: Kelty

        Year of Manufacture: 2006

        Web site: www.kelty.com MSRP: US$169.

        Capacity: 2 person

        Type: 3 season

        Dimensions: 7ft 8 in(length) x 4ft 10 in (width) x 3 ft 4 in (height)
        (234 cm x 147 cm x 102 cm)

        Stuffed Size: 7 in x 2 ft 1 in (18 cm x 64 cm)

        Listed Weight: 5 lb 11 oz (2.58 kg)

        Weight as Delivered: 5 lb 12 oz (2.82 kg) (This includes tent, poles,
        fly, stakes, guy lines, interior mesh hammock, and stuff sacks.)

        Product Description:

        The Kelty Gunnison is a free-standing, two-person, rectangular-dome
        tent. It has two doors and two large vestibules. It uses two flexible
        aluminum poles (8.45 oz each (240 g)), which cross to form an X. It
        stakes down in each of its four corners. The tent has twelve plastic
        clips to hold the tent to the poles. The clips are designed with a
        twist in the hook. This design is intended make the clips easily to
        slip on, but to require a small twist to take them off.

        Tent without fly from an angle Tent without fly from the long side

        Tent without fly from the short end Clip that holds the tent to the poles

        The poles anchor to the bottom of the tent by slipping into dual
        purpose plastic clips. The clips both hold the poles and act as the
        slots that the fly clips into.

        Dual purpose clip. The clip is attached to the tent and holds the ends
        of the poles and the clips that hold on the fly. Dual purpose clip in use

        The fly has two plastic windows, one on each end of the tent.

        Tent with the fly on from an angle Tent with the fly on from the short
        side

        It also has two small vents, one on each side of the tent. The vents
        open and close with a zipper. The vents have a small, thin,
        permanently-installed, flexible pole above them , which supports a
        small flap. The pole and flap combination is designed to allow the
        vents to stay open in the rain. The fly has 8 stake points. 6 of these
        are for guy lines—one in each corner and two on the ends. The
        vestibule is created by staking the fly out away from the tent with a
        single stake on each side. The stake loop is a long piece of webbing
        looped through a plastic slide. The long webbing and plastic slide are
        designed to allow you to stake the fly where convenient and then pull
        the fly taught. The vestibule closes with a zipper and hook and loop
        closures. The zipper ends approximately 2 in (5 cm) before the bottom,
        which is finally closed with a snap.

        Tent with the fly on from the long side showing the fly vent from a
        distance

        Close-up of the stake strap for the fly that creates the vestibule and
        the strap's adjustable slide Close-up of the bottom of the fly zipper
        with snap

        When the vestibule is opened, one side rolls back and is held back by
        a small clip. The tent doors have dual zippers. Inside the tent are
        two mesh pockets. Additionally, the tent comes with a small mesh
        hammock (.65 oz (19 g)) that ties into the top of the inside for
        storage. There is also a hook at the top center to hang a light. The
        floor of the tent comes pre-seam-sealed with tape.

        The fly with the vestibule door open The hammock tied up inside the
        tent with an iPhone in it for perspective

        The tent comes with 12 straight peg stakes. The stakes are 8 in (20
        cm) long and weigh .55 oz (17 g) each. The tent also comes with 6 guy
        lines. The guy lines are made of black nylon and have small plastic
        sliding clips The guy lines are 6 feet (1.8 meters) long and weigh .2
        oz (6 g) each. The tent comes with three stuff sacks: one large that
        will hold all of the tent items, one for the poles, and one the holds
        the stakes, guy lines, and mesh hammock.

        Tent stake

        Field Information:

        I've used the Gunnison 2 for two three-day, two-night trips in
        Southern Indiana and a 16 day, 200 mile (322 km) hike of the
        Appalachian Trail. On both hikes, I shared the tent with my wife. The
        trails in Southern Indiana were hilly temperate rainforest in a
        federal wilderness area with few good campsites. Temperatures ranged
        from 20 degrees F. at night ( -7 C) to 75 degrees F (24 C) during the
        day. The Appalachian Trail is mountainous but has well maintained
        trails with many excellent campsites to choose from. The temperatures
        ranged from 40 degrees F. (4 C) at night to 90 degrees F. (32 C)
        during the day. On the Appalachian Trail (AT), we experienced rain
        while in the tent twice.

        Personal Experience:

        Overall, the Kelty Gunnison 2 has been an excellent tent. It is quick
        to set-up, very stable, and provides excellent ventilation.

        The tent has many benefits. The set-up is a breeze. I can get the tent
        set-up and the fly on with the vestibule staked in less than 5 minutes
        if it is raining. Because of the shape of the clips on the corners I
        can usually just slip a pole into its slot without having to bend down
        and be right at the corner. The adjustable webbing on the edges of the
        vestibule makes staking the vestibule very easy. I just find a place
        where the stake goes in easy, and adjust the webbing to fit. Staking
        the corners of the tent and setting up the guy lines takes longer.

        The ventilation in the tent is excellent. I've never had condensation
        drip on me, even when we were sleeping in below freezing temperatures.
        And usually, there is no condensation on the fly at all. I attribute
        this to the vents at the top of the fly. Because of the small flaps
        over the vent I can keep the vent open even when it is raining, which
        is one time I most want to be able to clear the humidity from my tent.
        One problem, though, is that the small poles that create the flap are
        not removable. One snapped when the tent was packed, probably because
        it was bent when I rolled the tent. The flap still works, but I am
        afraid the broken pole will eventually rip the tent and come loose.
        Had I thought this would be a problem I would have been more careful
        in how I rolled the tent.

        The tent is a very nice size. It just fits my wife and me shoulder to
        shoulder. We are both large. I am 6 ft 3 in (1.9 m) 210 lbs (95.25 kg)
        and she is 5'11" (1.8 m), and we both fit comfortably, although there
        is no room to spare side to side. There is a few inches (6 cm) of room
        above our heads or below our feet (depending on how we lay) to store a
        few things. We are able to change when we are both in the tent, but
        only one at a time. There is also only room for one of us to sit up at
        a time because the ceiling slopes. The vestibule is plenty large to
        store all our gear. Our packs, boots, hiking poles, and anything else
        we want to keep under the vestibule fits well.

        The plastic windows are nice. They have not yellowed, and I really
        appreciate the light they let in in the evenings and the mornings.
        However, I don't know if they are worth the weight.

        The mesh hammock works well. It stores a lot for what it is. Because
        it ties on to loops that are sewn on at the same spot as hooks that
        connect to the poles, it held more weight than I initially expected
        without causing the tent to sag. (The most I have had in it is two
        pairs of wet medium weight smart wool socks, a 250 page paperback
        book, an ipod nano, two headlamps, and a small plastic watch face.)
        The hammock does reduce the headspace, but because it sits only in the
        highest part of the dome of the tent and does not sag much, it has not
        gotten in my way.

        The bottom of the tent is sturdy. I have never used a ground cloth,
        and while I pick my camping spots carefully, I have had no problems
        with the bottom tearing or getting small holes.

        There are a few obnoxious things about the tent. The small straps that
        hold the fly and door open are not very effective. The straps are
        placed low on the tent, and the fly and the door almost always come
        loose. The straps themselves hold fine, but the placement of the
        straps allows the fly and door to slip out with the slightest breeze.

        Perhaps the most obnoxious thing about the tent is the snap at the
        bottom of the fly. Because it is so far out, it is difficult to reach.
        Even being 6 ft 3 in (1.9 m), I have to almost lay my torso on the
        ground to reach the snap and close it. This is a particular problem
        when it is raining, because I get muddy.

        Overall this is a great tent. I would recommend it to anyone who is
        looking for a good tent for not too much money that will actually hold
        2 large adults.

        Good:

        Price

        2 large vestibules

        Great ventilation

        Easy Setup

        Bad:

        Hard to snap vestibule closed from inside the tent

        Could lose weight without adding cost

        Bad design of small rods holding open vent flaps
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
          Dear John ...

          ;-)

          Nice piece of work. I am approving your report, even though it's
          posted here without pictures and you didn't include a shortlink to
          the posted html version.

          I'm doing that because you've posted an HTML version earlier, I'm
          confident you can do it, you already had 15 pics in it (in good
          format, too) and aren't required to have a pic in your first Owner
          Review anyway.

          Any, I'm going on a business trip *again*.

          So, go ahead and upload to the folder here: http://tinyurl.com/68ws7c

          Please remember to tag it as an "Owner Review" when uploading (though
          that should be the default setting), to make sure you've changed
          the "ALT" tag on the one picture I remarked on in your first Edit,
          and to delete the test folder version (if any) when done.

          Congratulations, and welcome - again - to BackpackGearTest.org!

          On your second OR, please also remember to post the text version
          along with a shortlink to an uploaded html version in the test
          folder. Other Editors may be less lenient than I regarding this
          requirement.

          Good job, though. Hope to see you around more.

          André
          OR Editor