First Post Feedback welcome.

  • john_michael_d
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2008
      KELTY LIGHT YEAR 25 DEGREE DOWN SLEEPING
      BY JOHN DOUGHERTY
      OR
      October 05, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: John Dougherty
      EMAIL: jmd25@...
      AGE: 23
      LOCATION: Pensacola, Florida, United States
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 149 lb (67.60 kg)

      I started backpacking one year ago mostly taking two to five day
      trips. I like my pack to stay as light as possible but am interested
      in quality over weight. I hike a variety of terrain from sandy beaches
      with 100 degree weather to 4,000 to 5,000 ft mountains around the
      north carolina, north georgia region. I hike 3 seasons because winter
      in florida is similar to late fall or early spring in northern
      regions. I am a photography student and usually hike with my
      girlfriend or other college students.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Kelty
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<Kelty.com>>
      MSRP: US$135.00
      Listed Weight: 2lbs 2 oz (?? g)
      Measured Weight: 2lbs 5 oz (?? g)
      Other details: Zipper Vent at the feet.

      FIELD USE

      The Light Year is a very comfortable bag. The down is very soft and
      still has the fluff that it had when i first bought the bag a year
      ago. On a hot beach hike out to Ft. Pickens (Florida) the foot vent
      and half zipper came in handy. The vent allowed for much needed air
      flow which kept me from feeling sticky or itchy in my bag all night. I
      like to have some sort sleeping bag even in the hottest weather but
      when everything was unzipped the Light Year was still very
      comfortable. On a much colder trip to Linville Gorge in Early March
      the temperature got down to 25 Degrees and snow fell, none sticking to
      the ground. The Light Year was a little cold that night but when i
      threw some pants and a sweater on i felt fine and stayed warm the rest
      of the night.

      SUMMARY

      The Light Year is a very light weight sleeping bag that packs to the
      size of a 2 Liter Bottle. It will be hard to find a down sleeping bag
      that is this light and of such good quality for the price I got the
      Light Year for. This sleeping bag has always been very comfortable for
      me. I have tried my room mates synthetic bag and for me down is much
      more comfortable and the weight is just a bonus.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. Packs down to a very small size.
      2. Weighs just over 2 pounds.
      3. Very comfortable but i have never tried any down bags over 650 fill.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1. I wish it had a compatible zipper for female light year so i could
      zip mine to my girlfriends sleeping bag, even if it is just half a zipper.
      2. I think the bag is better as a 30 degree bag but could definitely
      be a 20 degree bag with a liner or some more clothing.

      SIGNATURE

      John Dougherty, UWF BFA Candidate/ Jet Ski Instructor

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2008
        Hi John!

        Welcome to BackpackGearTest. We're always looking for more members. Your
        report is a bit slim, but is a good start. I'd recommend you join up with
        one of our mentors as they will be able to help you learn the tactics and
        requirements for becoming a well versed BGT tester. You can email
        Mentor@... and request a mentor who will work with you
        personally on your first few OR's to make sure they meet the standards that
        BGT has setup.

        Once again... welcome to BGT and the great outdoors.

        AB

        _____
        Visit Corridor9
        http://www.corridor9.net
        ____________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
          Welcome John,

          Thank you for an Owner Review, and for your interest in becoming a
          tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now your review is lacking in
          some areas and cannot be accepted for editing at this time. One main
          issue is an unclear statement in the review of how many nights you
          have used the bag. This is also a slightly more complex item to
          review and you just haven't quite covered all the details we need to
          see in our reviews. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a
          bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing
          process. At this point you have two options:

          1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with
          experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
          If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
          request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn
          K, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST
          in the subject line.

          2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out
          in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below).
          In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently
          approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

          Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give
          it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We
          look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

          Edit Administration Manager

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "john_michael_d"