OR - West Marine Dry Pak - S Pearson

  • Sophie
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2008
      Here is a review of a piece of water craft equipment. It can be found
      at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20West%20Marine%20Dry%20Pak%20-%20S%20Pearson/
      Cheers,
      Sophie

      West Marine Waterproof Dry Pak for Electronics
      Owner Review
      September 30, 2008

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Sophie Pearson
      Age: 26
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 8" (1.71 m)
      Weight: 179 lb (81 kg)
      Sleeping bag length: Long
      Email address: sophiep3 at gmail dot com
      Location: Tampa, Florida USA

      Backpacking Background
      I first started backpacking as a teenager in England. I did a
      month-long trip in the Arctic but most of my backpacking experience
      has been weekend to 10-day trips, in a range of terrains and climates.
      I am a volcanologist so also do day hikes carrying loaded packs over
      intense terrain. Nowadays I am nearly always in sub-tropical or
      tropical climates. I am heading more and more towards ultralight
      packing, and unless I am sharing I use a bivy rather than a tent. I
      try to pack under 20 lb (9 kg) for long weekend trips but have carried
      over 50 lb (23 kg).

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: West Marine
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      MSRP: $19.99
      Listed dimensions: 5"W x 12"L, 9" Max. Circumference
      Measured dimensions: 4.9 in (12.5 cm) wide by 11.5 in (29.2 cm) long
      Measured weight: 2.4 oz (67 g)

      Product Description
      front back
      Front of dry pak when closed Back when closed with cord attached

      This is a small dry bag, which fits my camera, purse and keys.
      According to the website it is made of tough polyurethane and seals
      hermetically. The front is clear and the back is blue, made of thick
      but pliable plastic. There is a small, thin envelope on the front that
      fits a piece of paper for a name. The top of the bag has solid plastic
      on both sides which fit together. One side has a loop on the top to
      attach the included cord and/or carabiner. The other side and the blue
      plastic side of the body both have the west marine logo imprint. To
      keep the sides together there are two clasps on the plastic at the top
      of the front that fit through holes on the back and rotate 90°.

      Field Information
      I bought this bag on a whim and it got its first test 30 minutes later
      when I took it kayaking to see the MacDill Airfest in Tampa, Fl.
      Temperatures were around 80 F (27 C) and it was constant, bright
      sunshine. Although it did not get immersed, it got splashed many
      times. Since then it has been on 13 other kayaking trips around
      Florida totalling well over 100 miles, with temperatures between 70 F
      (21 C) and 100 F (38 C). Weather has ranged from (usually) glorious
      sunshine to huge rain storms. I have also taken it on car-camping
      trips around Florida. The first one of these we also took kayaks and
      kayaked out to see a shuttle launch at Cape Canaveral. I capsized
      three times getting into the kayaking in big waves, so that the dry
      pak has definitely been put through its paces!

      Review
      clasp
      Dry pak opening

      I had been looking at waterproof cases for my camera but wasn't
      willing to spend the money. I needed something immediately so bought
      this dry pak but kept the receipt meaning to take it back. However,
      after using it for the first day, I decided to keep it and have liked
      it more with each use. The size of the bag is perfect to fit cell
      phone, keys and camera, the things that I want to keep waterproof and
      safe when near the water. The bag has got wet numerous times and been
      dunked during capsizes more than once. Nothing inside has ever got
      wet. The first two occasions I took it out, in really hot weather,
      there was a little condensation in the bag, but it didn't affect
      anything in there and it has stayed perfectly dry inside ever since.

      The bag is well constructed and designed. The clasps take two hands to
      open and are fairly stiff, so there is no way that it will fall open.
      I would have liked to be able to open it with one hand, but I am used
      to it now and it makes it less likely to open and ruin things. When it
      is open it is easy to get things into and out of, especially because
      the solid plastic tops hold it in shape. I really like the fact that I
      can sit in my kayak with it between my knees but open so that my
      camera is protected from splash but easily accessible, and then I can
      quickly close it when I'm no longer taking pictures. The included cord
      means that it is easy to carry the bag around too. Because there is
      air inside when it is closed and the plastic is thick the contents
      feel a little bit padded. The air inside also means that the bag
      floats really well. On the website they say that you can use a phone
      or GPS through the plastic but I haven't needed to try that. I did
      like the idea of both sides being clear plastic so that I could take
      pictures while it was still in the bag, but that isn't offered and
      when I tried to take a picture through the clear plastic it was too
      thick to get a good shot anyway. Where the plastic is thick, I haven't
      even come close to puncturing it yet, even though I keep my keys
      inside and have put weight on it before. Although this bag has had a
      lot of rough usage it really isn't showing any signs of age.

      Summary
      This is a good quality, fairly small dry pak that is perfect for
      medium-sized electronics or (in my case) camera, phone and keys.

      Pros:
      Stong
      Durable
      Lightweight
      Really useful size
      Keeps things dry
      Floats
      Keeps its shape when open so easy to get things into and out of

      Cons
      Needs two hands to open
      Blue plastic side means that it can't be used with the camera inside
      Solid plastic top makes bag harder to pack
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager