Owner Review - Eureka Pinnacle Pass 3XTA Tent - Brian Hartman

  • Brian Hartman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 6:47 AM
      Below is a review of my Eureka Tent.  The HTML can be found here:  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20Eureka%20Pinnacle%20Pass%203XTA%20Tent%20-%20Brian%20Hartman/

      Eureka Pinnacle Pass 3XTA Tent

      BY BRIAN HARTMAN
      OR September 30, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Brian Hartman
      EMAIL: bhart1426@...
      AGE: 40
      LOCATION: Noblesville, Indiana
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      I have always been active outdoors but just started backpacking last year when my son joined scouting.  So far, I have been backpacking throughout the Midwest as well as Glacier National Park and Yellowstone.  I especially enjoy winter backpacking and the serenity of the wilderness under the cover of snow.  My backpack and gear are older and weigh 40+ lbs (18 kg).  This has limited the distances I have been able to cover and my enjoyment while hiking.  My goal over the next several years is to replace my existing clothing and gear with more suitable and lighter weight alternatives.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Eureka
      Year Manufactured: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.eurekatent.com">>
      MSRP: $199 US
      Listed Weight: 5 lb 15 oz (2.70 kg)
      Measured Weight: 6lb (2.72 g)
      Floor Size: 90 in x 78 in (228.6 cm x 198 cm)
      Pack Size: 6.75 in x 20.5 in (17 cm x 52 cm)
      Tent Area: 48.75 sq. ft. (4.5 sq m)
      Vestibule Area: 13.4 sq. ft. (1.24 sq m)
      Center Height: 50 in (127 cm)
      Sleeps: 3
      Seasons: 3-season
      Frame: 9.5 mm 7000 series aluminum
      Number of Doors: 2
      Wall Fabric: 70D nylon taffeta, 800mm, coated/uncoated
      Fly Material: 75D StormShield polyester, 800mm
      Floor Material: 70D nylon taffeta, 800mm
      Mesh: 40D No-see-um
      Number of poles: 2

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Eureka Pinnacle Pass 3XTA tent (hereafter called the Pinnacle Pass or tent) is a 3 person, 3 season  backcountry camping tent.  The body is constructed of 70D nylon taffeta coated fabric on the areas exposed to the elements.  The side opening door panels are constructed entirely of 40D no-see-um mesh to maximize air flow inside the tent.  The floor is made of 70-denier nylon taffeta, with a 800 mm polyurethane (PU) coating.   The fly consists of 75D StormShield polyester, 800mm.  There is also a poke-out vent in the side wall which allows the option of additional ventilation when needed.

      The tent has a bathtub floor for increased waterproofness.  It has two doors, two vestibules and a lightweight aluminum frame which is constructed of two 9.5 mm shockcorded 7000 series aluminum poles.  A storage sack is provided for the two poles.  The two poles slide into pockets on one side of the tent and attach to pins on the other side for easy assembly.  Here is a photo of the tent with the rain cover off to show the pole pockets.

      Six metal stakes are provided with the tent.  This is probably the minimum necessary to secure the tent in gusty weather.   I intend to add more stakes to utilize the guy-lines which are not provided, but would be necessary in harsh conditions.  The tent came with instructions for attaching the guy-lines, which were well written and easy to follow.
      There are 2 interior storage pockets to keep essential items handy.  Options include a gear loft and floor saver.

      FIELD USE

      I've used this tent several dozen times in conditions ranging from 10 degrees F (-12 C) to 88 degrees F (31 C ) including rainstorms, sleet and snow.  It has enough room for two adults plus gear and / or 3 kids.  This is my only tent for backpacking and it serves this function well.  It is lightweight and easy to set up.  I have yet to experience condensation build-up inside this tent.  Here is a picture of the tent one morning during a solo backpacking trip:

      During this snowstorm, the vestibule was large enough to keep my backpack and even my dog dry.   The aluminum poles were more than strong enough to hold the snow which accumulated on the roof of my tent overnight.

      OBSERVATIONS

      I am impressed with this tent.  It is lightweight and very easy to set up.  I can set it up in under 5 minutes by myself.  Two people can take it down to a few minutes.
      The two doors and vestibules are great additions to this tent.  It is roomy for two adults but starts to get tight when adding a third person (adult or child).  It works well as a solo shelter for backpacking, providing me with plenty of headroom for moving around the tent and spreading out, but at almost 6 lb (2.7 kg) there are other lighter choices for solo backpacking tents.

      The venting in this tent works great thanks to all of the mesh on the walls and doors.  However, with the rainfly in place, the vestibles must be opened slightly to encourage a breeze on hot summer nights.  Regardless, I have yet to see condensation on my sleeping bag or the walls of the tent.  One negative side effect of the excellent ventilation is that it is exactly as cold inside as it is outside.  The tent simply wouldn't hold any heat that my body generated.  When using it during the winter season, I always bring my warmest sleeping bag.

      One thing that concerns me is that the floor of this tent is made of the same thin material used on the sidewalls.  While this is done to conserve weight while backpacking, I noticed on several occasions that the bottom of the floor showed signs of wetting-out after wet weather .  I must say that I have not noticed water transferred through to the inside of the floor.  I now always use a ground cloth under the tent.

      In my opinion, the stakes, although lightweight, are not strong enough to anchor the tent in strong winds.  I bent three stakes last month trying to push them into hard ground.  The stakes are also not long enough for anchoring in deep snow.  I have now replaced the original stakes with heavier duty, longer metal stakes.

      SUMMARY

      This tent is well-made.  It packs up small and is great for two, with plenty of gear storage.  The vestibules on both sides create double the storage for wet boots etc.  The amount of mesh is great, as there is plenty of circulation and no condensation in the mornings.
      It is a long reach to open and close the vestibules but this is tolerable.  The tent can be setup quickly thanks to the tent clips and pole sleeves at the ends of the tent.  This tent is fairly lightweight for a 3-person tent which makes it good for backpacking.  It rolls up quite small and easily fits into my pack.  The floor fabric could be thicker, but I now carry a ground cloth as further prevention against tears and/or water penetration.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Lightweight
      Easy set up
      I stayed dry in a downpour
      No condensation
      Vestibules keep boots and dog dry

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      A ground cloth is recommended in wet conditions or when on rough ground

      SIGNATURE

      Brian Hartman
      bhart1426@...

      Copyright 2008.  All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager