OR MSR Titan-Alex-9.29.08

  • Alexander Chard
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2008
      Hi Andrew,

      Thanks for your insights and edits. If the tiny url does not work I
      will repost ASAP. Do you have any strong feelings about my recipes
      being a part of the report? My intension was to elaborate, explain and
      support my boiling meals style.

      Additionally, "Upon further review of the play," Although not in your
      edits I have made the following changes. What do you think?

      PRODUCT: Added a 1 place decimal point to the ounces for consistency.
      OBSERVATIONS: Edited sentence a bit, changed "provide" to "provides."

      Per edit changed "100 meals" Moved for better flow.....?

      SUMMARY: Not one of your edits, however I hope the the changes
      regarding the centering of the kettle are an improvement?

      Thanks,
      Alex

      http://tinyurl.com/497mcj

      MSR TITAN KETTLE
      BY ALEXANDER CHARD
      OR
      September 29, 2008
      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Alexander Chard
      EMAIL: alexander_chard@...
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Peterborough, New Hampshire
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 160 lb (72.60 kg)

      I have been backpacking since the mid 90's with trips generally 2-10
      days. I have backpacked in all seasons and conditions. I generally
      pack for comfort, and my shelters are usually tarp or bivy sack.
      Spring to fall pack weight is about 16 lbs/7 kg, and about 2 lbs/1 kg
      food per day. Excursions include trips in the Smokey's, White
      Mountains, Grand Canyon, Southern Canada and Upper Peninsula of
      Michigan. I consider difficult terrain and adverse conditions the
      ingredients for interesting and memorable excursions.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Mountain Safety Research, Inc. (MSR)
      http://msrgear.com
      Product: MSR Titan Kettle
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      MSRP: $49.99 (USD)
      Material: Titanium
      Capacity listed .85L (28.7 oz)
      Capacity measured: .85 L (28.7 oz)
      Weight listed 4.0 oz (113.0 g)
      Weight actual: 4.0 oz (113.0 g)

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
      The Titan Kettle was designed for the fast and light backpacker, when
      weight and adaptability are desired. Although I'm not a member of the
      ultra-light adventure race crowd, simplicity and flexibility are
      always appreciated. MSR on their web site states, "Versatile enough to
      be a pot, mug or bowl, this lightweight and strong titanium kettle
      complements the Titan Cook set perfectly."

      The top of the kettle has a rolled lip designed for stability and
      reduces the tendency to warp. The bottom has rounded edges to improve
      heat transfer and makes clean up easier. The body measures 3 ½" (93
      mm) x 4 ½" (114 mm) diameters. No need for a pot gripper (additional
      weight savings) the Titan Kettle has two bent titanium wire folding
      handles that measure 2 ½" (64 mm) tall and 1 ¾" (45 mm) and are
      attached by a plate with nine spot welds. The pour spout has marks
      indicating that the spout is stamped. There are not any markings for
      measurements.

      The lid stays secure while pouring and spout is of sufficient size to
      allow hot water to flow rapidly and smooth, and weighs 1.3 oz (37 g)
      with a coated wire handle to prevent burns and measures 1 ¼" (32 mm)
      wide x 1 ¼" (32 mm) high. Four spot welds on a plate fastens the
      handle to the lid. The plate also has a small notch designed to hold
      the coated handle vertical for gripping. Additionally a one eighth
      inch (3.2 mm) hole in the lid works well for venting steam. The lid
      has two stampings, one is the "MSR" logo and the other reads "Titan
      Titanium."

      FIELD CONDITIONS:
      Although I own another titanium pot this kettle accompanies me to many
      trips in the Presidential Mountains above 4,000' (1,220 m), Acadia
      National Park and day trips on Mount Monadnock, with temperatures from
      85° F (29° C) to -5° F (-21° C). I have prepared approximately 100
      plus meals in this kettle.

      OBSERVATIONS:
      In the interest of full disclosure, I do not often cook food inside
      the Titan Kettle, however the size is ideal for boiling enough water
      for a 2 serving dehydrated meal, using a 600 ml, 20.3 oz titanium cup
      to measure the proper amount of water. If I am not cooking a
      dehydrated meal, the .85 L (28.7 oz) capacity provides enough boiled
      water to prepare a boil-in-bag packet of rice and a hot beverage. I
      spice the rice with beef jerky, dried tomatoes bacon bits or bouillon.
      I almost exclusively boil water for meals.

      Personally, the simpler the better, since my two active brain cells
      are not always communicating I strive to minimize cleaning and
      accounting for other gear like a scrub pads and pot grabbers. This is
      how I arrived at the tap and sip breakfast, boil in bag lunch and
      dehydrated dinners. Breakfast, a no mess minimalist approach consists
      of a hot beverage, usually tea, allow to cool slightly, open instant
      oatmeal packet, tap out a mouthful, and swish with hot beverage. Boil
      in bag lunch is usually rice, placed in titanium cup and spiced to
      taste. When winter camping, so as not to waste the boiled water,
      simply add a tea bag to Titan kettle and enjoy. Dinner is hopefully
      self-explanatory. Three hot meals and beverages with little or no
      cleaning required does it get any better.

      Not to imply that the Titan kettle is difficult to clean, I have
      cooked pasta and rice directly in the kettle, added sauces, veggies
      and simmered without permanently bonding food to the kettle. The stout
      height and 4 ½" (114 mm) diameter is large enough to allow easy access
      for my unusually large mitts (XL glove size) to clean the kettle. The
      photos reveal some black marks on the exterior bottom of the kettle.
      These are the results of several years of moderate usage and are not
      easily removed.

      Although I have never burned food in the kettle, some hot water and a
      green scrub pad easily removed dried oatmeal and other starch type
      residues from the inside of the kettle. The key is to be able to
      adjust the flame. With its substantially adjustable flame, the stove I
      prefer is the MSR Pocket Rocket (shown in photo). I have only boiled
      with the Esbit stove and for me the XKG EX is an unworkable stove for
      simmering.

      SUMMARY:
      I mainly use this pot with the MSR Pocket Rocket and occasionally with
      Esbit solid fuel and the MSR XKG EX stoves. By placing the kettle a
      bit off center on the Pocket Rocket stove when boiling water, I can
      remove the kettle using the handles without hand protection or a pot
      grabber. Previously owned stainless steel pots of similar capacity
      required some sort of pot gripper. The lid fits so securely that even
      when the kettle is filled with water I must hold the handles to remove
      the lid.

      CONCLUSION:
      The MSR Titan Kettle is light, sturdy easy to clean. The lid does not
      come off when being packed and liquids pour smoothly. As I mentioned
      earlier there are not any markings for measurement of liquids. Since
      dehydrated meals are established backpacking meals and most require
      about 2 cups for the 2 serving packets. I would suggest stamped marks
      indicating 0.25, 0.35, 0.5 and 0.6 L (approximately 1, 1 ½, 2 and 2 ½
      cups for my fellow US citizens) might be beneficial.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2008
        Alex:

        I really need you to make sure you complete ALL edits I have listed. Some of
        these edits are REQUIRED before you can post to the site. Please make sure
        you complete ALL edits prior to uploading again.

        As usual;
        EDIT: Change Me
        Edit: Think about changing me
        Comment: Everything else

        Thanks!
        AB

        _____
        Visit Corridor9
        http://www.corridor9.net
        ____________________________

        > Do you have any strong feelings about my recipes
        > being a part of the report? My intension was to elaborate, explain and
        > support my boiling meals style.
        Comment: This is fine.

        > Additionally, "Upon further review of the play," Although not in your
        > edits I have made the following changes. What do you think?
        >
        > PRODUCT: Added a 1 place decimal point to the ounces for consistency.
        > OBSERVATIONS: Edited sentence a bit, changed "provide" to "provides."
        >
        > Per edit changed "100 meals" Moved for better flow.....?
        >
        > SUMMARY: Not one of your edits, however I hope the the changes
        > regarding the centering of the kettle are an improvement?
        Edit: The above changes are good.

        > Mountain Safety Research, Inc. (MSR)
        > http://msrgear.com
        EDIT: This link is still not clickable in the HTML version.

        > Weight listed 4.0 oz (113.0 g)
        > Weight actual: 4.0 oz (113.0 g)
        EDIT: Listed weight now is actually 4.2 oz (118 g). As this is in the Fast &
        Light series, please change and list actual weight 1 place past decimal for
        those gram weenies out there.