Owner Review: Arcteryx Alpha SL Jacket

  • danielfnash
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2008
      Arc'teryx Alpha SL Jacket

      Biographical Information

      Name: Daniel Nash
      Age: 40
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'2" (1.8 meters)
      Weight: 205 pounds (93 kilograms)
      Email address: danielfnash@...
      City, State, Country: Springfield, Missouri, United States
      Date: September 15, 2008

      Backpacking Background: I have been an outdoor enthusiast all my
      life and have a special place in my heart for backpacking, hiking and
      mountaineering. I hike year around, spending most of my weekends on
      day hikes in the Ozark Mountains, with intermittent hikes over
      several days and also take numerous trips to the western United
      States for backpacking and mountaineering.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Arc'teryx
      Year of Manufacture: Fall 2007
      Listed Weight: 12 ounces (342 grams)
      Weight as delivered: 11.6 ounces
      MSRP: $299.00
      Material: Shell (Gore-tex Pac-lite)
      Waterproof Rating: Guaranteed
      Breathable Rating: Guaranteed
      Core Venting: Pit-Zips
      Pockets: (2) Front
      Seam Taped: Fully
      Hood: Yes
      Manufacturer's Warranty: Lifetime

      Photograph courtesy of Arcteryx

      Field Information

      Test locations: Southwest Missouri and Northern Arkansas
      Location Description: Hardwood and Pine forests, canyons, river
      bottoms, plateaus and mountain summits (up to 3,000 feet/ 914 meters)
      Weather Conditions: Wind, rain, snow and sleet. Temperatures from 90
      degrees F (32 C) to 20 degrees F (-6 C)

      Product Description

      The Arcteryx Alpha SL Gore-tex jacket is considered a hard-shell or
      outer shell jacket. The shell of the jacket consists of two (2)
      layers of Gore-Tex Pac lite, with a nylon lining on the interior.
      The jacket has two (2) hand pockets on the outside, core venting via
      zips under each armpit (pit zips), an ergonomic hood and a full front
      zipper. All the zippers are seam taped to prevent water and moisture
      from entering the shell of the jacket through the zippers. This
      jacket was a size extra large and was a color firebrick red.

      Field Report

      I began using this jacket during the late spring and early summer
      months, while hiking and backpacking along the Buffalo National
      River. This jacket is extremely light and packs down to the size of
      a softball, which makes it easy to carry in a pack. While wearing
      the jacket, I could not help but notice the lightweight and comfort
      of the jacket. This jacket performed well in steady showers and
      heavy rain during the spring and summer months. This jacket kept me
      dry and at the same time was extremely breathable. I found the core
      venting (pit-zips), in this jacket very useful and extremely helpful
      with venting heat from the body while backpacking and hiking in the
      rain.
      This jacket has several chord adjustments to keep it tight around
      the body and help keep water out. While I would expect to see a
      chord adjustment around the waist and a second for the hood, I was
      surprised to discover two (2) other chord adjustments on the hood
      around the neck area. I found these adjustments extremely useful, as
      they helped secure the neck area of the hood that never seems to fit
      just right. These adjustments enabled me to tighten the hood
      adjustment around the forehead to ensure a good fit and separately
      tighten the area around the neck. I do wish the brim on the hood
      were longer, since at times the water would drip off the hood brim
      and onto my nose and face.
      I continued to wear this jacket as my hard shell during the fall
      and winter months and found it to be just as reliable. The jacket
      was windproof, continued to be very waterproof and also breathable.
      The jacket also fit very well over several layers and was compatible
      with a backpack and a harness. The jacket continued to be
      comfortable and did not get stiff, even with temperatures down to
      freezing. I continued to utilize the core venting (pit zips) even
      during the colder weather to allow my body to regulate heat.
      Overall, I loved this jacket, especially the core venting and the
      chord adjustments and will continue to wear it during all four
      seasons.

      Pros and Cons

      Pros: Very lite
      Great waterproofing and breathability
      Good venting
      Packable
      Excellent adjustments
      Cons: Pricey
      The bill on the hood needs to be a bit longer
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Kathleen Waters
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
          Daniel,

          I have been assigned to edit your Owner's Review. This appears to be
          your
          very first review, so I tried to go easy on you! ;) Writing for BGT
          takes
          practice and you needn't be discouraged by the editing process. If it
          seems
          "greek" to you, you might want to check in with the BGT mentoring
          program
          where eager volunteers will help you master the process of writing
          ORs,
          applying for tests and writing test reports. It's a great
          program and I really think it would be helpful for you to contact
          Jenn E at mentor@... before proceeding.

          Since this is your first review and there are more than a couple
          edits, I
          would like you to REPOST your OR to the list when you have made the
          edits.
          When you repost, make sure that you have in the subject line "REPOST:
          Owner
          Review – Product Name – Your Name". Your name always
          needs to be in the subject line for reviews, reports, edits, etc.

          Also, after the corrections, you need to upload your HTML file to the
          Owner
          Review test folder so I can check out your HTML. When you repost, you
          must
          put a link in the e-mail to that file location so I can view the
          uploaded
          file. Actually, the HTML file must always be uploaded to the OR Test
          folder and the URL of that file must be posted in your email text
          posting to the list.

          At that time, I'll check out the HTML and, if all is OK, give you the
          go ahead to upload. Please remember to use "REPOST" when you report
          the plain text of your corrected OR to the list.

          My list of edits follows. Let me know if you don't understand
          anything I've
          written.

          Conventionally the following terms are used in the editing process:
          *** EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards
          [because the Editor says so!]
          *** Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way
          [unless you
          seriously object with good reason]
          *** Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a
          change of
          some sort as a result.

          Kathy Waters
          BGT Owner Review Editor

          Arc'teryx Alpha SL Jacket
          EDIT: You need to indicate right up front that this is an Owner's
          Review" and the date of the review. Common format is:

          Product Name
          Owner's Review
          Review name
          Date

          Height: 6'2" (1.8 meters)
          EDIT: Add a space between feet and inches – 6' 2"

          Backpacking Background: I have been an outdoor enthusiast all my
          life and have a special place in my heart for backpacking, hiking and
          mountaineering. I hike year around, spending most of my weekends on
          day hikes in the Ozark Mountains, with intermittent hikes over
          several days and also take numerous trips to the western United
          States for backpacking and mountaineering.
          EDIT: Bios can be up to 100 words. You are at 60. Can you please
          add a bit about your hiking style? Are you a 3 or 4 season hiker?
          Are you a lightweight? How much do you carry on average? You get
          the idea!

          MSRP: $299.00
          EDIT: You need to add what currency you are talking about here. For
          example "$299.00 USD"

          Material: Shell (Gore-tex Pac-lite)
          EDIT: Proper is "Gore-Tex" and "PacLite". Please correct throughout
          the review.

          Weather Conditions: Wind, rain, snow and sleet. Temperatures from 90
          degrees F (32 C) to 20 degrees F (-6 C)
          EDIT: Delete the word "degrees" – they are not necessary.

          Product Description

          The Arcteryx Alpha SL Gore-tex jacket is considered a hard-shell or
          outer shell jacket.
          EDIT: Should be "Arc'teryx".

          The shell of the jacket consists of two (2)
          layers of Gore-Tex Pac lite, with a nylon lining on the interior.
          The jacket has two (2) hand pockets on the outside, core venting via
          zips under each armpit (pit zips), an ergonomic hood and a full front
          zipper. All the zippers are seam taped to prevent water and moisture
          from entering the shell of the jacket through the zippers.
          EDIT: I like to see more of a description here: The reader needs to
          be able to picture this jacket from the description. For example,
          are the pit zips full –length? Is the front zipper bottom to top,
          dual? Does it have a pull loop? How large are the hand pockets?
          Does the hood have a bill? How is the hood cinched closed? Since
          you do give a very good description of how you used the hood in your
          field use section, just a brief description is needed here. Drag out
          the jacket, lay it on the floor and look at it. Then just write what
          you see! You get the idea!

          This
          jacket was a size extra large and was a color firebrick red.
          EDIT: This is good, but please add a sentence letting the reader
          know what other sizes and colors are available.

          This jacket has several chord adjustments to keep it tight around
          the body and help keep water out. While I would expect to see a
          chord adjustment around the waist and a second for the hood, I was
          surprised to discover two (2) other chord adjustments on the hood
          around the neck area. I found these adjustments extremely useful, as
          they helped secure the neck area of the hood that never seems to fit
          just right. These adjustments enabled me to tighten the hood
          adjustment around the forehead to ensure a good fit and separately
          tighten the area around the neck. I do wish the brim on the hood
          were longer, since at times the water would drip off the hood brim
          and onto my nose and face.
          COMMENT: This is great! I totally get it.

          EDIT: Add a paragraph or two on how well (or not) the jacket has
          worn. Has the elastic stretched? Have the drawcords become frayed?
          Have the zippers gotten stuck? Etc. Also, what are the care
          instructions? How do you store it between trips? Have you washed
          it? How? .
          Pros: Very lite
          EDIT: Proper is "light".
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 12, 2008
            KATHY - Daniel Nash(1) - Arc'teryx Alpha SL Jacket - Posted Sept 22
            (msg#76496), Taken Sept 29, Edit Sept 29(76515), Follow up sent Oct
            24, Repost Oct 26, Edit Nov 18(76791), Follow up Dec 12,

            Hi Daniel,
            Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org
            I noticed you have not responded to the Edit notice given for the
            above Owner's Review, which was posted by Kathy back on November 18.
            Please refer to message number 76791 at

            We are here to help so please don't hesitate to ask if there is
            something we can assist you with so you can complete your Owner
            Review?

            Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can
            inform your editor and update the queue.

            Edit Administration Manager