REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Kelty Gunnison 2 Tent

  • johnschlafer
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2008
      Andre,

      I've edited my review and added pictures. I uploaded the HTML to
      the owner review test platform. My OR can be found at:
      http://tinyurl.com/4j3m4t

      Thanks so much for your help thus far, and I look forward to hearing
      from you.

      Best,
      John
    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2008
        EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Kelty Gunnison 2 Tent

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "johnschlafer"
        <johnschlafer@...> wrote:

        > Andre,
        >
        > I've edited my review and added pictures. I uploaded the HTML to
        > the owner review test platform. My OR can be found at:
        > http://tinyurl.com/4j3m4t
        >
        > Thanks so much for your help thus far, and I look forward to hearing
        > from you.
        >
        > Best,
        > John

        John, thanks for your repost. I feel that I should apologize for the
        delay in my response again. It's usually much faster once the initial
        edit's been done, but your response must have slipped my radar.

        Anyway - to your edits.

        1) In the future, please include the text version of your report with
        your post in addition to the html link - it makes editing much
        easier. Yes, this has been discussed at some length and we do require
        both.

        2) I note some of the conversions (you seem to have included them
        with every measurement, excellent!) are off regarding their writing.
        Please go over them once and make sure that units given conform to
        the units listing at the bottom of our conversion page ("lb"
        for "pounds", rather than "lbs", "kg" for Kilograms and "m" for
        meters) and that there's a space between each measurement and the
        corresponding unit.

        3) I like your pictures. They sure help to get a good idea of what
        the tent is about. And I think this may be the first first-timer
        Owner Review that includes the maximum of 15 pictures. By the way,
        the ALT text for your 14th picture just reads "The" - I believe it's
        intended to say "The gear hammock from below" or something along
        those lines.

        4) Under Product Description you state "This design is intended make
        the clips easily to slip on, but " which should read "... intended
        *to* make the clips *easy* to ..."

        5) OR you go with the sentence immediately after that. They both say
        the same thing. Please decide on one and delete the redundant one.

        That's it!

        Once you've taken care of this, please repost again, with text in
        your repost and a link to the html version and I'll look it over once
        more. We're almost there!

        Please feel free to shoot me a message sideband to notify me of your
        repost once you've reposted. I'm going on a business trip pretty soon
        and am afraid it may take me longer than it should to get back to
        your report.

        Regards,

        André
      • johnschlafer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2008
          Hi Andre,

          Here is my second revision.

          Thanks,
          John

          Kelty Gunnison 2 Tent

          Biographical Information:

          Name: John Schlafer

          Age: 26

          Gender: Male

          Height: 6'3"(1.9 m)

          Weight: 210lb (95.25 kg)

          Email Address: John[dot]Schlafer[at]gmail[dot]com

          Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA

          Date: August 19, 2008

          Backpacking Background: I am new to backpacking. I do a long day hike
          every month or so. I've done two three-day two-night trips, and I
          backpacked 200 miles (322 km) of the Appalachian Trail in the spring
          of '08. I like to hike light, but I have a small gear budget. So I try
          to go for a nice balance of light and inexpensive.

          Product Information:

          Product: Kelty Gunnison 2

          Manufacturer: Kelty

          Year of Manufacture: 2006

          Web site: www.kelty.com MSRP: US$169.

          Capacity: 2 person

          Type: 3 season

          Dimensions: 7ft 8 in(length) x 4ft 10 in (width) x 3 ft 4 in (height)
          (234 cm x 147 cm x 102 cm)

          Stuffed Size: 7 in x 2 ft 1 in (18 cm x 64 cm)

          Listed Weight: 5 lb 11 oz (2.58 kg)

          Weight as Delivered: 5 lb 12 oz (2.82 kg) (This includes tent, poles,
          fly, stakes, guy lines, interior mesh hammock, and stuff sacks.)

          Product Description:

          The Kelty Gunnison is a free-standing, two-person, rectangular-dome
          tent. It has two doors and two large vestibules. It uses two flexible
          aluminum poles (8.45 oz each (240 g)), which cross to form an X. It
          stakes down in each of its four corners. The tent has twelve plastic
          clips to hold the tent to the poles. The clips are designed with a
          twist in the hook. This design is intended make the clips easily to
          slip on, but to require a small twist to take them off.

          Tent without fly from an angle Tent without fly from the long side

          Tent without fly from the short end Clip that holds the tent to the poles

          The poles anchor to the bottom of the tent by slipping into dual
          purpose plastic clips. The clips both hold the poles and act as the
          slots that the fly clips into.

          Dual purpose clip. The clip is attached to the tent and holds the ends
          of the poles and the clips that hold on the fly. Dual purpose clip in use

          The fly has two plastic windows, one on each end of the tent.

          Tent with the fly on from an angle Tent with the fly on from the short
          side

          It also has two small vents, one on each side of the tent. The vents
          open and close with a zipper. The vents have a small, thin,
          permanently-installed, flexible pole above them , which supports a
          small flap. The pole and flap combination is designed to allow the
          vents to stay open in the rain. The fly has 8 stake points. 6 of these
          are for guy lines—one in each corner and two on the ends. The
          vestibule is created by staking the fly out away from the tent with a
          single stake on each side. The stake loop is a long piece of webbing
          looped through a plastic slide. The long webbing and plastic slide are
          designed to allow you to stake the fly where convenient and then pull
          the fly taught. The vestibule closes with a zipper and hook and loop
          closures. The zipper ends approximately 2 in (5 cm) before the bottom,
          which is finally closed with a snap.

          Tent with the fly on from the long side showing the fly vent from a
          distance

          Close-up of the stake strap for the fly that creates the vestibule and
          the strap's adjustable slide Close-up of the bottom of the fly zipper
          with snap

          When the vestibule is opened, one side rolls back and is held back by
          a small clip. The tent doors have dual zippers. Inside the tent are
          two mesh pockets. Additionally, the tent comes with a small mesh
          hammock (.65 oz (19 g)) that ties into the top of the inside for
          storage. There is also a hook at the top center to hang a light. The
          floor of the tent comes pre-seam-sealed with tape.

          The fly with the vestibule door open The hammock tied up inside the
          tent with an iPhone in it for perspective

          The tent comes with 12 straight peg stakes. The stakes are 8 in (20
          cm) long and weigh .55 oz (17 g) each. The tent also comes with 6 guy
          lines. The guy lines are made of black nylon and have small plastic
          sliding clips The guy lines are 6 feet (1.8 meters) long and weigh .2
          oz (6 g) each. The tent comes with three stuff sacks: one large that
          will hold all of the tent items, one for the poles, and one the holds
          the stakes, guy lines, and mesh hammock.

          Tent stake

          Field Information:

          I've used the Gunnison 2 for two three-day, two-night trips in
          Southern Indiana and a 16 day, 200 mile (322 km) hike of the
          Appalachian Trail. On both hikes, I shared the tent with my wife. The
          trails in Southern Indiana were hilly temperate rainforest in a
          federal wilderness area with few good campsites. Temperatures ranged
          from 20 degrees F. at night ( -7 C) to 75 degrees F (24 C) during the
          day. The Appalachian Trail is mountainous but has well maintained
          trails with many excellent campsites to choose from. The temperatures
          ranged from 40 degrees F. (4 C) at night to 90 degrees F. (32 C)
          during the day. On the Appalachian Trail (AT), we experienced rain
          while in the tent twice.

          Personal Experience:

          Overall, the Kelty Gunnison 2 has been an excellent tent. It is quick
          to set-up, very stable, and provides excellent ventilation.

          The tent has many benefits. The set-up is a breeze. I can get the tent
          set-up and the fly on with the vestibule staked in less than 5 minutes
          if it is raining. Because of the shape of the clips on the corners I
          can usually just slip a pole into its slot without having to bend down
          and be right at the corner. The adjustable webbing on the edges of the
          vestibule makes staking the vestibule very easy. I just find a place
          where the stake goes in easy, and adjust the webbing to fit. Staking
          the corners of the tent and setting up the guy lines takes longer.

          The ventilation in the tent is excellent. I've never had condensation
          drip on me, even when we were sleeping in below freezing temperatures.
          And usually, there is no condensation on the fly at all. I attribute
          this to the vents at the top of the fly. Because of the small flaps
          over the vent I can keep the vent open even when it is raining, which
          is one time I most want to be able to clear the humidity from my tent.
          One problem, though, is that the small poles that create the flap are
          not removable. One snapped when the tent was packed, probably because
          it was bent when I rolled the tent. The flap still works, but I am
          afraid the broken pole will eventually rip the tent and come loose.
          Had I thought this would be a problem I would have been more careful
          in how I rolled the tent.

          The tent is a very nice size. It just fits my wife and me shoulder to
          shoulder. We are both large. I am 6 ft 3 in (1.9 m) 210 lbs (95.25 kg)
          and she is 5'11" (1.8 m), and we both fit comfortably, although there
          is no room to spare side to side. There is a few inches (6 cm) of room
          above our heads or below our feet (depending on how we lay) to store a
          few things. We are able to change when we are both in the tent, but
          only one at a time. There is also only room for one of us to sit up at
          a time because the ceiling slopes. The vestibule is plenty large to
          store all our gear. Our packs, boots, hiking poles, and anything else
          we want to keep under the vestibule fits well.

          The plastic windows are nice. They have not yellowed, and I really
          appreciate the light they let in in the evenings and the mornings.
          However, I don't know if they are worth the weight.

          The mesh hammock works well. It stores a lot for what it is. Because
          it ties on to loops that are sewn on at the same spot as hooks that
          connect to the poles, it held more weight than I initially expected
          without causing the tent to sag. (The most I have had in it is two
          pairs of wet medium weight smart wool socks, a 250 page paperback
          book, an ipod nano, two headlamps, and a small plastic watch face.)
          The hammock does reduce the headspace, but because it sits only in the
          highest part of the dome of the tent and does not sag much, it has not
          gotten in my way.

          The bottom of the tent is sturdy. I have never used a ground cloth,
          and while I pick my camping spots carefully, I have had no problems
          with the bottom tearing or getting small holes.

          There are a few obnoxious things about the tent. The small straps that
          hold the fly and door open are not very effective. The straps are
          placed low on the tent, and the fly and the door almost always come
          loose. The straps themselves hold fine, but the placement of the
          straps allows the fly and door to slip out with the slightest breeze.

          Perhaps the most obnoxious thing about the tent is the snap at the
          bottom of the fly. Because it is so far out, it is difficult to reach.
          Even being 6 ft 3 in (1.9 m), I have to almost lay my torso on the
          ground to reach the snap and close it. This is a particular problem
          when it is raining, because I get muddy.

          Overall this is a great tent. I would recommend it to anyone who is
          looking for a good tent for not too much money that will actually hold
          2 large adults.

          Good:

          Price

          2 large vestibules

          Great ventilation

          Easy Setup

          Bad:

          Hard to snap vestibule closed from inside the tent

          Could lose weight without adding cost

          Bad design of small rods holding open vent flaps
        • André Corterier
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
            Dear John ...

            ;-)

            Nice piece of work. I am approving your report, even though it's
            posted here without pictures and you didn't include a shortlink to
            the posted html version.

            I'm doing that because you've posted an HTML version earlier, I'm
            confident you can do it, you already had 15 pics in it (in good
            format, too) and aren't required to have a pic in your first Owner
            Review anyway.

            Any, I'm going on a business trip *again*.

            So, go ahead and upload to the folder here: http://tinyurl.com/68ws7c

            Please remember to tag it as an "Owner Review" when uploading (though
            that should be the default setting), to make sure you've changed
            the "ALT" tag on the one picture I remarked on in your first Edit,
            and to delete the test folder version (if any) when done.

            Congratulations, and welcome - again - to BackpackGearTest.org!

            On your second OR, please also remember to post the text version
            along with a shortlink to an uploaded html version in the test
            folder. Other Editors may be less lenient than I regarding this
            requirement.

            Good job, though. Hope to see you around more.

            André
            OR Editor