EDIT: Platypus Platy Bottle Owner Review - Shane Williams

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2008
      EDIT: Platypus Platy Bottle Water Bladder Owner Review - Shane
      Williams

      Hi Shane,

      Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org. I'm glad you've chosen a fairly
      simple item for your first review, which will make things much
      easier. I do have several edits for you, many of which are fairly
      simple spelling, grammar, conversion items, etc. I also have a few
      things I would like to see expanded, which is not at all uncommon
      with a new reviewer. Please don't get discouraged – you really have
      a good start, and I don't think it will take much to get this in
      shape.

      Your edits and comments follow, taking this common format:

      ### EDIT: required correction
      ### Edit: correction or expansion is needed, but you have discretion
      in how to make the changes
      ### Comment: a suggestion for improvement, or simply a comment

      Once you've made the necessary corrections and desired changes,
      please repost to this list, using the title REPOST: Platypus Platy
      Bottle OR – Shane Williams.

      Pam Wyant

      ********************************

      ### EDIT: Actually, on the Platypus website, they call it a "Platy
      Bottle", so your title should actually be "Platypus Platy Bottle
      Water Bladder" to follow our format of Manufacturer Name, Product
      Name, and type of product.

      Height: 5'11"
      Weight: 192 lbs.

      ### EDIT: Metric conversions are required for height and weight.

      Email Address: sherpa[dot]colorado[at]gmail[dot]com
      Location: Colorado Springs, CO.

      ### EDIT: In deference to our foreign readers, who are not familiar
      with our state abbreviations, it is required to spell the name of the
      state out.

      Backpacking Background:
      I spent the majority of my childhood living in the very last house on
      a dead end street. It was hard to tell exactly where my back yard
      ended and the forest began. I would often go "exploring" the 100 plus
      acre expanse that was simply referred to as "The Woods", and thus my
      hiking passion was born. I've spent a good deal of time on the GA – TN
      - NC portion of the Appalachian Trail as well as many of the trails
      around the South Eastern Region. Today I live in Colorado where I
      spend my free time climbing as many mountains as possible. My
      backpacking style can best be described as 60 percent "traveling in
      style" and 40 percent "minimalist".
      ### EDIT: While interesting, you backpacking background is well over
      our 100 word maximum. You will need to shorten it. The information
      on where you backpack and climb is great (except you do need to spell
      out the state names instead of abbreviating), but ideally your
      background will talk more about your backpacking style and less about
      childhood/youth experiences. We would prefer that you tell us the
      type of shelter you use, typical pack weight, cooking style (gourmet?
      Freezer bag? Pre-packaged freeze-dried?), hiking style (long
      distance/long days or short distance/more camping?) or whatever
      information you can fit in that gives us a clue about the type of
      hiker/backpacker/camper you are. This will often help the reader of
      a report visualize whether your style fits with theirs and whether
      they might expect the same type of result with the product you are
      reviewing based on compatibility of style. It also will help our
      test managers and moderators in test selections as we often like to
      see a variety of different styles on tests.

      Listed Size: 7.5 x 13.5 in. / (19 x 35 cm)
      ### Comment: Generally we prefer not to see periods after
      measurement abbreviations (such as the period you have here
      after `in'. A handy guide to preferred ways of abbreviating, listing
      measurements, etc. can be found at the bottom of the conversion tool
      here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

      Reading the information and following the guidelines included will
      make life a little easier both on you as a tester, and those of us
      who will be editing your reports.

      Measured Size: 7.18 x 13.25

      ### EDIT: You need both the units you measured in (in) and a metric
      conversion here.

      Weight: 1 oz / (30 g)

      ### EDIT: You need to list this as the manufacturer weight, and you
      also need to give us your measured weight.

      Capacity: 2+ liter/ (80 fl oz)
      Available Sizes: 0.5 liter / (17 fl oz) and 1 liter / (35 fl oz.)

      ### Comment: You might want to include the word `other' in front of
      available sizes.

      Product Description
      The Platypus water hydration bottle is constructed of a triple layer
      laminate material.

      ### Edit: `water hydration' bottle is redundant. Actually, you
      should again refer to it by the actual product name of "Platy
      Bottle" – maybe something like "The Platy Bottle is a water bladder
      constructed of…"

      ### Edit/comment: Also, I am curious where you got the information
      that it is a triple layer laminate material. Platypus FAQ's
      states "multi-layer laminate of urethane and food-grade, taste-free
      polyethylene film." If you can't verify elsewhere that it is 3-
      layer, please change this to multi-layer. Listing the specific
      materials would also be good.
      Its gusseted bottom and collapsible modular design
      make it one of the most versatile ways to carry water.

      ### Comment: This sound a little like manufacturer hype. I'd really
      prefer to have something totally in your own words, or an expansion
      on this. Why do you feel the gusseted bottom and modular design
      makes it versatile?

      Field Conditions:
      I've used a Platypus water bottle on just about every backpacking and
      hiking excursion for almost 10 years.

      ### Edit/comment: You should again either use the proper name
      of "Platy Bottle" or if paraphrasing, the product really is a bladder
      and not a bottle, so you could use "Platypus water bladder" instead.

      A few notable trips are:

      Savage Gulf Wilderness Area (TN)

      ### EDIT: Again, state names need to be spelled out, at least the
      first time they appear in the report. If you prefer you could list
      it like this the first time: Tennessee (TN) and then use the TN
      abbreviation afterwards in the report.

      24 mile 2 day trip into the wilderness area, primarily on the east
      side of the park.
      Temperature Range: 30F – 50F/-1C – 10C
      Elevation: 1600 ft/488m

      ### Edit: Conversions should be in a similar form as the non-metric
      measurement. In this case, you are rounding elevation to 1600 ft
      (unless you were truly at exactly 1600 ft), so the conversion should
      be similarly rounded to 500 m. I know this seems a bit odd, but
      think of the reverse. If you were hiking at around 500 m, would you
      say 1640 ft?

      Appalachian Trail
      40+ miles in 3 days along the AT.
      Temperature Range 35F – 65F/1C – 18C

      ### Edit: Please use (AT) after the words "Appalachian Trail", and
      then you are free to use the abbreviation thoughout the report
      afterwards. Also, can you give us approximate elevations.

      Sangre De Cristo Mountains (CO)
      Several day trip up to the Willow lake basin.
      Temperature Range:70F- 85F/21C- 29C
      Elevation 11500ft/3505m

      ### EDIT: Spell out the state name. You also need a space
      after "Temperature Range:" The same rule of rounding for elevation
      (3500 m) would apply here.

      ### Comment: Would you please take a look at your use of punctuation
      in all the condition sections and be consistent in either using or
      not using colons. Personally I think it looks better to use the
      colons – (I.E. Elevation: 11500 ft/3500m)

      Field Experience:
      The first time I saw a Platypus water bottle in the store I was
      skeptical.

      ### Edit: Again either use "Platy Bottle" OR "Platypus water bladder"

      However, the unique design and promised features
      encouraged me to take the 10 dollar risk and give it a try. Today
      it's one of the most trusted pieces of equipment in my pack and has
      far out lasted the majority of my gear.

      Versatility:
      One undocumented feature of the Platypus is that its contents will
      stay unfrozen in
      colder temperatures. I was on a winter camping trip in which I had a
      conventional 32 oz. water bottle and I had a Platypus 2+ liter bottle.
      That night the temperatures hovered just below freezing. The next
      morning when I woke up and started to prepare breakfast, I noticed
      that the conventional bottle was frozen solid, but the platypus
      remained relatively unfrozen (it was actually slushee like).

      ### Edit/comment: I believe this was likely the result of the
      Platypus bladder holding a larger amount of liquid, which takes
      longer to freeze than a smaller quantity, and likely not inherent to
      the product itself. It would be best if you re-worded this a bit to
      reflect that the larger size keeps water from freezing as quickly.

      I was
      pleasantly surprised, as it allowed us to have nice warm oatmeal
      instead of trying to choke down spoonfuls of dry oats. Not only is
      this Platy great in colder conditions, it can also be boiled. While
      this may seem like an unremarkable feature it does come in handy in
      the event of an injury that requires the aid of a heating pad.

      ### Comment: I know the manufacturer states the Platy can be boiled,
      but have you ever tried it? This does not seem very practical,
      especially with a 2 L bottle, since most backpacking pots are quite
      small, definitely not large enough to hold a 2 L Platy without
      touching the sides or bottom of the pot as Platypus recommends. You
      might consider adding that the manufacturer says this can be done but
      you have not tried it, if that is the case. If you have tried it,
      please expand on this and let us know how you accomplished it.

      Durable:
      I can't recall the exact year that I purchased my first platypus, but
      I believe it was around 1999.

      ### EDIT: capitalize "Platypus"

      I was actually leaving town to go on a
      backpacking trip and purchased a 1 liter platy.

      ### EDIT: …a 1 liter *Platy Bottle*

      After I returned from
      that trip I bought the 2+ liter version. I've purchased several
      since then, but I still have and use the 2+ liter bottle. The platypus
      is very durable, but they do have a tendency to puncture along the
      face or the bottom if they are pressed against something relatively
      sharp.

      ### EDIT: capitalize "Platypus"

      I punctured the 1 liter platy by placing it directly atop of
      my cooking gear.
      ### EDIT: 1 liter *Platy Bottle*

      The metal pot holder had a somewhat pointed corner
      punctured the face.

      ### EDIT: …had a somewhat pointed corner *which* punctured…

      Light-weight and Compactable
      A couple things that make the platypus such a great product is that
      its light weight and compactable.

      ### EDIT: capitalize "Platypus". Also, in this use "its" should
      have an apostrophe (it's)

      Weight in at only 2 oz.

      ### EDIT: This is an incomplete sentence as is. I'm not exactly
      sure what you're trying to say – Do you mean "It weighs in at only 2
      oz?" If so, something is way off, because you list the weight as 1
      oz. Also, you would need a conversion.

      The platy is perfect for helping the weight conscious hiker carry
      more water and
      less weight.

      ### EDIT: "Platy Bottle"

      ### Comment: I think you might need to add a bit here – the hiker
      can carry more water and less weight since water is very heavy. I
      think you mean the weight conscious hiker can carry more water with
      less container weight.
      Couple that with the fact that the platy can be stuffed
      in just about any pocket, makes it a nearly perfect hydration
      solution.

      ### EDIT: "Platy Bottle"

      ### Comment: the comma after pocket is not really necessary.

      Modular:
      In addition to its durable, light-weight, construction the platypus
      has a "modular design" which allows it to be expand into a
      hydration system that's fully customizable.

      ### EDIT: capitalize "Platypus". Also, "expand" should
      be "expanded".
      In comparison with
      other hydration systems the platypus is very cost effective.

      ### Edit: We really do not want to compare it to other systems, so
      please remove or modify this. You could say "The Platypus is very
      cost effective because I can use a Platy Bottle separately or add
      components to make it a hydration system", or something like that.

      Overview:
      Likes:
      Compactable
      Light Weight
      Versatile
      BPA free

      Dislikes:
      Prone to puncture under certain conditions
      Small mouth piece.

      ### EDIT: Please tell us more about the likes and dislikes (BPA free
      and small mouth piece) you have listed here in the body of the
      report. You did not mention these at all in the report. You might
      also want to use the word `opening' instead of `mouth piece'.

      ### Edit/comment: There are a few things I find missing in your
      field experience section. Have you found the bottle hard to fill due
      to the small mouth opening and/or length of the bladder? Where do
      you normally keep it in your pack? Have you tried it different
      places? Do you find it hard to fit into bladder pockets or awkward
      to pack? Will it fit in an exterior water bottle pocket? Has it
      ever leaked? Do you find it difficult to keep track of the small cap
      when refilling? Do you use it with a water filter? Has the bladder
      stained or discolored? Do you find dirt collects in the gusseted
      bottom (I know mine does). Have you ever used it for anything else
      (pillow, hot water bottle?) Any information you can provide similar
      to this can be very useful to a reader.

      effective, this bottle captures the
      essence of great backpacking gear. As long as they make the Platypus,
      I'll have one in my pack.

      ### Comment: Nice summary.