Re: [BackpackGearTest] Pristine Water Purification System

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
      I assume that BigSkyRy can answer those questions...Ryan can you tell us what these numbers mean? E.P.A. Reg. No 9150-9-72765 and E.P.A. Est. No 058685-AZ-001 is what's on their package. And could you answer the rest of this post please?
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Gear Tester" <geartester@h...> wrote:
        > This product is identical to Aqua Mira. The product can be viewed
        at www.pristine.ca . As it has an EPA number, the effectiveness of
        the product isn't at issue. The ease of use and taste/after taste is.
        As a small, easy to test item, all three reports can be combined in
        one. This product is ideal for use in conjunction with a SWA or
        Seychelle in-line gravity feed water system. We have 12 - 24 to test.

        Jerry I would like to test the water purification system. May I
        suggest a way to compare different types of treatment. Heat the water
        up to about 150 degrees and smell and taste it. You can tell the good
        from the bad almost as good as a fecal coliform test can. That said,
        never trust any water no matter how clean it looks or how good it
        taste. The creek behind my house looks and taste very good but I have
        had it checked and it came back TNTC (to numerous to count) for
        coliform. The creek is spring fed and about a half mile from pastures
        on both sides but it is not safe to drink.

        Thanks, Coy Boy

        P.S. A question for Big Sky. How do you test for cryptospyridum.
        With a microscope? Have you used or seen a particle counter? ADEM
        (the state) set on up under the filters at the water plant but I
        could not make heads or tails out if the graphs. It spiked along with
        our turbidometers but supposedly gave more info on the likelyhood of
        crypto breakthrough. We were ok but they required ( or strongly
        suggested) that some plants add garnet to their filter media.
      • Robert Stanley
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 3, 2001
          I'm very interested in testing this product.

          My bio info:

          Robert Stanley
          Position- Heavy Equip Mechanic, welder, fabricator.
          Age- 38
          Height - 6'
          Weight - 250 lbs. (*See note below)
          Residence and testing area - New Jersey and surrounding area (Includes Eastern Pa. and sections of both NJ and Pa Appalachian Trail)

          Outdoor background:

          Camping, hiking, canoeing, spending time outdoors since early childhood.
          ----------------------------------

          I use a SWA bottle and/or iodine tabs currently.

          I will be spending at least 1-2 weekends a month in the NJ/PA woods from now through summer using water from various sources including stagnant ponds and trail puddles.

          Using and comparing Pristine against Aqua Mira and standard Iodine should prove interesting.

          One question for anyone who might know - I read through the entire Pristine site, and found no mention of how temperature affects its use and effectiveness?

          Rob Stanley
        • Jack Voss
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 3, 2001
            "Then you get to digest their little carcasses. Extra Protein? " ... and fiber?

            Kayak Jack
            Doing what you like is FREEDOM
            Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
          • Jack Voss
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 3, 2001
              Bill Murdoch writes: "...The www.clo2.com site is a nice review of chlorine dioxide use for bleaching and disinfection ..."

              He raises an issue I was concerned about. If spilled or spattered on clothes, will this stuff bleach out a white spot? Alternatively, could "heavily treated" water be used as a disinfectant in camp or on the trail?

            • janjunco@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 3, 2001
                I would like to participate in the testing of the Pristine Water
                Purification System. I have over 40 years of experience as a
                backpacker and hiker. My backpacking plans for this year include: the
                Wonderland Trail; the Grand Canyon,Rim-to-Rim; the White Mountains in
                California, Yosemite and hiking when I am not backpacking.

                Over the years I have used a variety of water treatment systems
                including: boiling water, First Need, Pur Hiker, Potable Aqua and
                Taste Neutralizer Tablets and Polar Pure Iodine Crystals, all of whom
                leave something to be desired, either weighs too much, leaves a nasty
                taste or I'm not sure some of the treatments get rid of all the
                nasties.

                Thanks for considering me...Jan King
              • Reed, Steven D.
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                  Jerry,

                  I would like to test the Pristine Water Purification System. Over the years
                  I have used a potable aqua tablets, polar pure, a first need filter and most
                  recently a PUR scout filter. While I like the Pur filter, I've been looking
                  for a more lightweight option and would also like to get away from the
                  iodine taste. I just bought a SWA in-line filter to set up in a gravity
                  feed system, so I could also test it in conjuction with that. Thanks for
                  you consideration.

                  -Steve

                  Background:

                  Name: Steve Reed
                  Gender: Male
                  Age: 45
                  Location: Iowa

                  Experience: I've been backpacking and canoeing for over 20 years. I try to
                  take at least one major trip each year. I've always been the "gear nut" in
                  my regular camping group. Although I usually get a lot of kidding the first
                  time I bring some new gadget or "luxury" item along, I notice that my fellow
                  campers are usually trying the sneak the same equipment along on the next
                  trip. I'm currently revamping my gear and trying to go more ultralight.
                  I'm also planning on thru-hiking the Superior Trail next summer.

                  Basic Gear:

                  * Kelty Windfoil Ultralight Tent
                  * SD Lit-n-up and Marmot Tarn sleeping bags
                  * ThermaRest regular and ultralite pads
                  * PUR Scout water filter
                  * MSR Whisperlite Shaker Stove (one can never have enough stoves, they
                  are one of my gear nut weaknesses)
                  * Optimus 8R Stove
                  * Optimus 99 Stove
                  * Optimus 199 Stove
                  * Trangia 28
                  * Misc homemake alcohol stoves
                  * GAZ370 Stove Stove
                  * Coleman Peak 1 400 stove
                  * Gregory Massif Backpack (in the process of making a GVP-4)
                  * Evolution 3 cookset

                  This product is identical to Aqua Mira. The product can be viewed at
                  www.pristine.ca <http://www.pristine.ca> . As it has an EPA number, the
                  effectiveness of the product isn't at issue. The ease of use and taste/after
                  taste is. As a small, easy to test item, all three reports can be combined
                  in one. This product is ideal for use in conjunction with a SWA or Seychelle
                  in-line gravity feed water system. We have 12 - 24 to test.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmail/S=1700066
                  005:N/A=567139/R=1/*http://domains.yahoo.com>
                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmail/S=1700066
                  005:N/A=567139/R=2/*http://domains.yahoo.com>

                  www.

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=176325.1307935.2900315.1248727/D=egroupmai
                  l/S=1700066005:N/A=567139/rand=938560536>

                • rgambale
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                    Jerry,

                    I would be interested in testing the Exchanger Mask as a first choice and the crampons for the second choice.  I live near Boston MA and spend nearly every weekend hiking either snowshoeing, xc skiing in the white mountains of NH.  I am an avid winter hiker, who has summated all of the 4,000 footers in NH during the winter season.

                    AT 98, 97-98 NH winter 4,000'ers

                    I agree to all stipulations/rules of the testing agreement...Rich Gambale  "Greenleaf"