OR - Outdoor Research Rocky Mtn Low Gaiters - Hollis Easter

  • Hollis
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2008
      Dear friendly editors,

      Please find enclosed a new OR from me. Thanks!

      HTML:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20OR%20Rocky%20Mtn%20Low%20Gaiters%20-%20Hollis%20Easter/
      or http://tinyurl.com/5uf39w

      Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Low Gaiters
      Owner Review

      The Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Low gaiters are short gaiters that
      fit over my hiking boots to keep trail debris from entering.
      Quick navigation links:

      * Reviewer Information
      * Product Information
      * Field Information
      * Comments
      * Summary

      Outside view of the gaiters
      Reviewer Information:

      Name: Hollis Easter
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'0" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 205 lb (93 kg)
      Shoe size: 13 US
      Preferred hiking footgear: light boots
      Email address: backpackgeartest[a@t)holliseaster(dah.t]com
      City, State, Country: Potsdam, New York, USA
      Backpacking Background: I started hiking as a child in the Adirondack
      Mountains of New York. As a teenager, I hiked my way to an Eagle Scout
      award. I love winter climbing, and long days through rough terrain
      abound. The peaks have become my year-round friends.

      I am a midweight backpacker: I don't carry unnecessary gear, but
      neither do I cut the edges from my maps. I hike in all seasons, at
      altitudes from sea level to 5,300 ft (1,600 m), and in temperatures
      from -30 F (-34 C) to 100 F (38 C).
      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of manufacture: 2006
      Listed weight: 4.8 oz (136 g)
      Actual weight: 4.3 oz (122 g)
      Size: L/XL fits 8–12 US (41–46 Euro) shoes
      MSRP: $22.00 US

      Product features (from website):

      * Traditional uncoated 8 oz (226 g) packcloth construction
      * All-season performance
      * Intended for use over hiking, backpacking, and cross-country ski
      boots
      * One-inch-wide hook/loop front closure
      * Boot lace hook
      * Snaps at bottom and top
      * Elastic bottom and top edges
      * Nylon instep lace provided

      Field information:

      Hiking locations used: Most of my spring, summer, and fall hiking
      during the last two years, including mountains in New York's
      Adirondack Mountains and Vermont's Green Mountains. I wore them most
      recently on a section hike of the Appalachian and Long Trails near
      Stratton Mountain in Vermont. I have also worn them for most of my
      rock climbing approaches during that time.

      Description of locations: trails and forest bushwhacks, mountains up
      to 5,100 ft (1500 m). Highly varied.

      Weather conditions: I've worn the Rocky Mountain Lows in bright sun
      well above 90 F (32 C), in pouring rain at 40 F (4 C), and in lots of
      conditions in between. I haven't taken them out in snow, as I have
      taller gaiters for that.
      Comments:
      Inside view of gaiters
      Inside view of gaiters

      I bought the Rocky Mountain Low gaiters after a particularly
      irritating approach hike to a day of rock climbing. We had to
      bushwhack the whole way, through waist-high plants that were covered
      in dew. There was burdock everywhere, and the little burrs got stuck
      in my socks constantly, cutting my ankles unless I pulled them out
      immediately. It seemed as though I was stopping to pull rocks and bits
      of mud out of my boots every five paces. Something had to change.

      I bought the gaiters before my next hike, and I've been wearing them
      ever since. They're small, lightweight, and effective at their job.
      Every once in a while, a bit of dirt or a stick will sneak its way
      down into my boots, but it happens very rarely, where it once was
      commonplace. I'll take it!

      Outdoor Research recommends their "WRAP IT, THEN STRAP IT" approach to
      putting gaiters on: they recommend wrapping the gaiter around the leg
      with the logo on the outside, closing the hook/loop fastener and
      securing it with the snaps at top and bottom, putting the hook through
      the front boot laces, and then doing up the instep lace.

      I did that the first time. Now I leave the instep lace tied, and just
      step into the gaiters. I move the lace so it passes under my instep,
      put the hook in place, and then do up the Velcro and snaps. Easy and
      quick! I find that the hook/loop fastener will stick to my boot laces
      if I'm not careful, so I move them out of the way before donning the
      gaiters.
      Boots with and without gaiters
      Boots with and without gaiters

      The gaiters fit me reasonably well, even though I wear a size 13 US
      (47 Euro) boot—a size too large for the L/XL gaiters. The calf opening
      is a little tight on me, so I push the tops down until they're just
      above my socks, and that works for me. The elastic edges of the
      gaiters work well to keep out rocks, twigs, and mud.

      The hook/loop closure was a big selling point for me, since it means I
      can put on my gaiters without taking off my boots. I don't like to
      wear the gaiters in the car, and this makes it easy to get ready at
      the trailhead. Outdoor Research has installed snaps at the top and
      bottom of the hook/loop strip, and these keep everything securely
      fastened until I choose to change.

      The gaiters work well in rain, too. I've hiked all day in rain wearing
      them, and found my socks dry. The elastic edges work well keeping out
      water along with everything else. Although the gaiters are made with
      uncoated fabric and are therefore not waterproof, I've found that my
      socks don't get really wet from rain. A happy discovery!

      The gaiters fit my boots pretty closely, which is good. They don't
      catch on underbrush, they do protect my ankles against cuts, and they
      keep my boot laces from being snagged. I've added a piece of tubular
      webbing as a sleeve for each instep lace, to help protect it—so far so
      good.

      The gaiters are easy to keep clean: even when they've been out in
      serious mud, it brushes easily off once it dries. I wish I could say
      the same for some other pieces of gear. I have never yet washed the
      gaiters, and they do not smell. I don't notice that my feet smell more
      or are much more sweaty after wearing the gaiters, although the
      gaiters can be quite warm in bright sunlight. I wear wicking liner
      socks, and I've been comfortable.

      A few things I've learned: it's important to apply sunscreen before
      putting the gaiters on. Hiking moves the edges of the gaiters around,
      and I got pretty bad sunburns around both ankles before I figured this
      one out.

      The knots on the instep laces tend to loosen slightly. I think this is
      about the material and the fact that, with my oversized boots, most of
      the lace is taken up by surrounding my foot. I retie the knots
      periodically, and it doesn't seem to matter which knots I choose:
      they're usually a bit loose. This isn't a problem and doesn't affect much.
      Gaiters in use (second from left)
      Gaiters in use (second from left)
      I have been very happy with the Rocky Mountain Low gaiters. They keep
      dirt and other trail junk out of my boots, and that keeps my feet
      content. They're pretty good in rain, even though they aren't marketed
      for that.

      Short gaiters don't look entirely cool, and my hiking buddies make fun
      of me. My feet are happy, though, and that's the test for me. I plan
      to keep using these gaiters.

      Likes: Dislikes:

      * Keep out trail debris
      * Protect my ankles from slashing by plants
      * Fit pretty comfortably
      * Weigh relatively little
      * Don't turn my boots into saunas

      * Instep lace begins to come undone sometimes
      * I wish they made a size XXL for my big feet!
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Kathleen Waters
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008
          Hollis,

          Very nice review, thanks for making my job easy! Just one very nit-
          picky edit - I wouldn't have flagged it but my grammar checker did -
          and you are good to delete the file from the test folder and upload
          to the folder at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%
          20Gear/Gaiters/OR%20Rocky%20Mountain%20Low%20Gaiters/ or
          http://tinyurl.com/5zlbgq .

          Kathy
          OR Editor
          I don't notice that my feet smell more or are much more sweaty after
          wearing the gaiters, although the gaiters can be quite warm in bright
          sunlight.
          Edit: To be grammatically correct it should read "...are much
          sweatier..." but I can live with what you've got!

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Hollis"
          <backpackgeartest@...> wrote:

          > Dear friendly editors,
          >
          > Please find enclosed a new OR from me. Thanks!
          >
          > HTML:
          > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%
          20OR%20Rocky%20Mtn%20Low%20Gaiters%20-%20Hollis%20Easter/
          > or http://tinyurl.com/5uf39w
        • Hollis
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008
            Hi Kathy,

            Thanks for the kind words! I made the edit you requested, and have
            uploaded/deleted as necessary.

            Cheers!
            Hollis