Owner Review - Platypus Hydration Bottle

  • coloradosherpa2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4 7:57 PM
      Hello,
      I'm new here at BGT and this is my first review. I've been working
      with a mentor and he gave me the green light to post, so...here goes
      nothing.

      Platypus Hydration Bottle
      Owner Review by Shane Williams
      September 04, 2008

      Name: Shane Williams
      Age: 34
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11"
      Weight: 192 lbs.
      Email Address: sherpa[dot]colorado[at]gmail[dot]com
      Location: Colorado Springs, CO.

      Backpacking Background:
      I spent the majority of my childhood living in the very last house on
      a dead end street. It was hard to tell exactly where my back yard
      ended and the forest began. I would often go "exploring" the 100 plus
      acre expanse that was simply referred to as "The Woods", and thus my
      hiking passion was born. I've spent a good deal of time on the GA – TN
      - NC portion of the Appalachian Trail as well as many of the trails
      around the South Eastern Region. Today I live in Colorado where I
      spend my free time climbing as many mountains as possible. My
      backpacking style can best be described as 60 percent "traveling in
      style" and 40 percent "minimalist".

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Cascade Designs, Inc.
      Website: www.platy.com
      MSRP: $9.95
      Year Purchased: 2006
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Listed Size: 7.5 x 13.5 in. / (19 x 35 cm)
      Measured Size: 7.18 x 13.25
      Weight: 1 oz / (30 g)
      Capacity: 2+ liter/ (80 fl oz)
      Available Sizes: 0.5 liter / (17 fl oz) and 1 liter / (35 fl oz.)

      Product Description
      The Platypus water hydration bottle is constructed of a triple layer
      laminate material. Its gusseted bottom and collapsible modular design
      make it one of the most versatile ways to carry water.

      Field Conditions:
      I've used a Platypus water bottle on just about every backpacking and
      hiking excursion for almost 10 years. A few notable trips are:

      Savage Gulf Wilderness Area (TN)
      24 mile 2 day trip into the wilderness area, primarily on the east
      side of the park.
      Temperature Range: 30F – 50F/-1C – 10C
      Elevation: 1600 ft/488m

      Appalachian Trail
      40+ miles in 3 days along the AT.
      Temperature Range 35F – 65F/1C – 18C

      Sangre De Cristo Mountains (CO)
      Several day trip up to the Willow lake basin.
      Temperature Range:70F- 85F/21C- 29C
      Elevation 11500ft/3505m

      Field Experience:
      The first time I saw a Platypus water bottle in the store I was
      skeptical. However, the unique design and promised features
      encouraged me to take the 10 dollar risk and give it a try. Today
      it's one of the most trusted pieces of equipment in my pack and has
      far out lasted the majority of my gear.

      Versatility:
      One undocumented feature of the Platypus is that its contents will
      stay unfrozen in
      colder temperatures. I was on a winter camping trip in which I had a
      conventional 32 oz. water bottle and I had a Platypus 2+ liter bottle.
      That night the temperatures hovered just below freezing. The next
      morning when I woke up and started to prepare breakfast, I noticed
      that the conventional bottle was frozen solid, but the platypus
      remained relatively unfrozen (it was actually slushee like). I was
      pleasantly surprised, as it allowed us to have nice warm oatmeal
      instead of trying to choke down spoonfuls of dry oats. Not only is
      this Platy great in colder conditions, it can also be boiled. While
      this may seem like an unremarkable feature it does come in handy in
      the event of an injury that requires the aid of a heating pad.

      Durable:
      I can't recall the exact year that I purchased my first platypus, but
      I believe it was around 1999. I was actually leaving town to go on a
      backpacking trip and purchased a 1 liter platy. After I returned from
      that trip I bought the 2+ liter version. I've purchased several
      since then, but I still have and use the 2+ liter bottle. The platypus
      is very durable, but they do have a tendency to puncture along the
      face or the bottom if they are pressed against something relatively
      sharp. I punctured the 1 liter platy by placing it directly atop of
      my cooking gear. The metal pot holder had a somewhat pointed corner
      punctured the face. Now that I know this is a potential weakness, I've
      remedied this by making sure that I always have a layer of clothing
      just below my water.

      Light-weight and Compactable
      A couple things that make the platypus such a great product is that
      its light weight and compactable. Weight in at only 2 oz. The platy is
      perfect for helping the weight conscious hiker carry more water and
      less weight. Couple that with the fact that the platy can be stuffed
      in just about any pocket, makes it a nearly perfect hydration solution.

      Modular:
      In addition to its durable, light-weight, construction the platypus
      has a "modular design" which allows it to be expand into a
      hydration system that's fully customizable. In comparison with
      other hydration systems the platypus is very cost effective.

      Overview:
      Likes:
      Compactable
      Light Weight
      Versatile
      BPA free

      Dislikes:
      Prone to puncture under certain conditions
      Small mouth piece.

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9 9:20 PM
          EDIT: Platypus Platy Bottle Water Bladder Owner Review - Shane
          Williams

          Hi Shane,

          Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org. I'm glad you've chosen a fairly
          simple item for your first review, which will make things much
          easier. I do have several edits for you, many of which are fairly
          simple spelling, grammar, conversion items, etc. I also have a few
          things I would like to see expanded, which is not at all uncommon
          with a new reviewer. Please don't get discouraged – you really have
          a good start, and I don't think it will take much to get this in
          shape.

          Your edits and comments follow, taking this common format:

          ### EDIT: required correction
          ### Edit: correction or expansion is needed, but you have discretion
          in how to make the changes
          ### Comment: a suggestion for improvement, or simply a comment

          Once you've made the necessary corrections and desired changes,
          please repost to this list, using the title REPOST: Platypus Platy
          Bottle OR – Shane Williams.

          Pam Wyant

          ********************************

          ### EDIT: Actually, on the Platypus website, they call it a "Platy
          Bottle", so your title should actually be "Platypus Platy Bottle
          Water Bladder" to follow our format of Manufacturer Name, Product
          Name, and type of product.

          Height: 5'11"
          Weight: 192 lbs.

          ### EDIT: Metric conversions are required for height and weight.

          Email Address: sherpa[dot]colorado[at]gmail[dot]com
          Location: Colorado Springs, CO.

          ### EDIT: In deference to our foreign readers, who are not familiar
          with our state abbreviations, it is required to spell the name of the
          state out.

          Backpacking Background:
          I spent the majority of my childhood living in the very last house on
          a dead end street. It was hard to tell exactly where my back yard
          ended and the forest began. I would often go "exploring" the 100 plus
          acre expanse that was simply referred to as "The Woods", and thus my
          hiking passion was born. I've spent a good deal of time on the GA – TN
          - NC portion of the Appalachian Trail as well as many of the trails
          around the South Eastern Region. Today I live in Colorado where I
          spend my free time climbing as many mountains as possible. My
          backpacking style can best be described as 60 percent "traveling in
          style" and 40 percent "minimalist".
          ### EDIT: While interesting, you backpacking background is well over
          our 100 word maximum. You will need to shorten it. The information
          on where you backpack and climb is great (except you do need to spell
          out the state names instead of abbreviating), but ideally your
          background will talk more about your backpacking style and less about
          childhood/youth experiences. We would prefer that you tell us the
          type of shelter you use, typical pack weight, cooking style (gourmet?
          Freezer bag? Pre-packaged freeze-dried?), hiking style (long
          distance/long days or short distance/more camping?) or whatever
          information you can fit in that gives us a clue about the type of
          hiker/backpacker/camper you are. This will often help the reader of
          a report visualize whether your style fits with theirs and whether
          they might expect the same type of result with the product you are
          reviewing based on compatibility of style. It also will help our
          test managers and moderators in test selections as we often like to
          see a variety of different styles on tests.

          Listed Size: 7.5 x 13.5 in. / (19 x 35 cm)
          ### Comment: Generally we prefer not to see periods after
          measurement abbreviations (such as the period you have here
          after `in'. A handy guide to preferred ways of abbreviating, listing
          measurements, etc. can be found at the bottom of the conversion tool
          here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

          Reading the information and following the guidelines included will
          make life a little easier both on you as a tester, and those of us
          who will be editing your reports.

          Measured Size: 7.18 x 13.25

          ### EDIT: You need both the units you measured in (in) and a metric
          conversion here.

          Weight: 1 oz / (30 g)

          ### EDIT: You need to list this as the manufacturer weight, and you
          also need to give us your measured weight.

          Capacity: 2+ liter/ (80 fl oz)
          Available Sizes: 0.5 liter / (17 fl oz) and 1 liter / (35 fl oz.)

          ### Comment: You might want to include the word `other' in front of
          available sizes.

          Product Description
          The Platypus water hydration bottle is constructed of a triple layer
          laminate material.

          ### Edit: `water hydration' bottle is redundant. Actually, you
          should again refer to it by the actual product name of "Platy
          Bottle" – maybe something like "The Platy Bottle is a water bladder
          constructed of…"

          ### Edit/comment: Also, I am curious where you got the information
          that it is a triple layer laminate material. Platypus FAQ's
          states "multi-layer laminate of urethane and food-grade, taste-free
          polyethylene film." If you can't verify elsewhere that it is 3-
          layer, please change this to multi-layer. Listing the specific
          materials would also be good.
          Its gusseted bottom and collapsible modular design
          make it one of the most versatile ways to carry water.

          ### Comment: This sound a little like manufacturer hype. I'd really
          prefer to have something totally in your own words, or an expansion
          on this. Why do you feel the gusseted bottom and modular design
          makes it versatile?

          Field Conditions:
          I've used a Platypus water bottle on just about every backpacking and
          hiking excursion for almost 10 years.

          ### Edit/comment: You should again either use the proper name
          of "Platy Bottle" or if paraphrasing, the product really is a bladder
          and not a bottle, so you could use "Platypus water bladder" instead.

          A few notable trips are:

          Savage Gulf Wilderness Area (TN)

          ### EDIT: Again, state names need to be spelled out, at least the
          first time they appear in the report. If you prefer you could list
          it like this the first time: Tennessee (TN) and then use the TN
          abbreviation afterwards in the report.

          24 mile 2 day trip into the wilderness area, primarily on the east
          side of the park.
          Temperature Range: 30F – 50F/-1C – 10C
          Elevation: 1600 ft/488m

          ### Edit: Conversions should be in a similar form as the non-metric
          measurement. In this case, you are rounding elevation to 1600 ft
          (unless you were truly at exactly 1600 ft), so the conversion should
          be similarly rounded to 500 m. I know this seems a bit odd, but
          think of the reverse. If you were hiking at around 500 m, would you
          say 1640 ft?

          Appalachian Trail
          40+ miles in 3 days along the AT.
          Temperature Range 35F – 65F/1C – 18C

          ### Edit: Please use (AT) after the words "Appalachian Trail", and
          then you are free to use the abbreviation thoughout the report
          afterwards. Also, can you give us approximate elevations.

          Sangre De Cristo Mountains (CO)
          Several day trip up to the Willow lake basin.
          Temperature Range:70F- 85F/21C- 29C
          Elevation 11500ft/3505m

          ### EDIT: Spell out the state name. You also need a space
          after "Temperature Range:" The same rule of rounding for elevation
          (3500 m) would apply here.

          ### Comment: Would you please take a look at your use of punctuation
          in all the condition sections and be consistent in either using or
          not using colons. Personally I think it looks better to use the
          colons – (I.E. Elevation: 11500 ft/3500m)

          Field Experience:
          The first time I saw a Platypus water bottle in the store I was
          skeptical.

          ### Edit: Again either use "Platy Bottle" OR "Platypus water bladder"

          However, the unique design and promised features
          encouraged me to take the 10 dollar risk and give it a try. Today
          it's one of the most trusted pieces of equipment in my pack and has
          far out lasted the majority of my gear.

          Versatility:
          One undocumented feature of the Platypus is that its contents will
          stay unfrozen in
          colder temperatures. I was on a winter camping trip in which I had a
          conventional 32 oz. water bottle and I had a Platypus 2+ liter bottle.
          That night the temperatures hovered just below freezing. The next
          morning when I woke up and started to prepare breakfast, I noticed
          that the conventional bottle was frozen solid, but the platypus
          remained relatively unfrozen (it was actually slushee like).

          ### Edit/comment: I believe this was likely the result of the
          Platypus bladder holding a larger amount of liquid, which takes
          longer to freeze than a smaller quantity, and likely not inherent to
          the product itself. It would be best if you re-worded this a bit to
          reflect that the larger size keeps water from freezing as quickly.

          I was
          pleasantly surprised, as it allowed us to have nice warm oatmeal
          instead of trying to choke down spoonfuls of dry oats. Not only is
          this Platy great in colder conditions, it can also be boiled. While
          this may seem like an unremarkable feature it does come in handy in
          the event of an injury that requires the aid of a heating pad.

          ### Comment: I know the manufacturer states the Platy can be boiled,
          but have you ever tried it? This does not seem very practical,
          especially with a 2 L bottle, since most backpacking pots are quite
          small, definitely not large enough to hold a 2 L Platy without
          touching the sides or bottom of the pot as Platypus recommends. You
          might consider adding that the manufacturer says this can be done but
          you have not tried it, if that is the case. If you have tried it,
          please expand on this and let us know how you accomplished it.

          Durable:
          I can't recall the exact year that I purchased my first platypus, but
          I believe it was around 1999.

          ### EDIT: capitalize "Platypus"

          I was actually leaving town to go on a
          backpacking trip and purchased a 1 liter platy.

          ### EDIT: …a 1 liter *Platy Bottle*

          After I returned from
          that trip I bought the 2+ liter version. I've purchased several
          since then, but I still have and use the 2+ liter bottle. The platypus
          is very durable, but they do have a tendency to puncture along the
          face or the bottom if they are pressed against something relatively
          sharp.

          ### EDIT: capitalize "Platypus"

          I punctured the 1 liter platy by placing it directly atop of
          my cooking gear.
          ### EDIT: 1 liter *Platy Bottle*

          The metal pot holder had a somewhat pointed corner
          punctured the face.

          ### EDIT: …had a somewhat pointed corner *which* punctured…

          Light-weight and Compactable
          A couple things that make the platypus such a great product is that
          its light weight and compactable.

          ### EDIT: capitalize "Platypus". Also, in this use "its" should
          have an apostrophe (it's)

          Weight in at only 2 oz.

          ### EDIT: This is an incomplete sentence as is. I'm not exactly
          sure what you're trying to say – Do you mean "It weighs in at only 2
          oz?" If so, something is way off, because you list the weight as 1
          oz. Also, you would need a conversion.

          The platy is perfect for helping the weight conscious hiker carry
          more water and
          less weight.

          ### EDIT: "Platy Bottle"

          ### Comment: I think you might need to add a bit here – the hiker
          can carry more water and less weight since water is very heavy. I
          think you mean the weight conscious hiker can carry more water with
          less container weight.
          Couple that with the fact that the platy can be stuffed
          in just about any pocket, makes it a nearly perfect hydration
          solution.

          ### EDIT: "Platy Bottle"

          ### Comment: the comma after pocket is not really necessary.

          Modular:
          In addition to its durable, light-weight, construction the platypus
          has a "modular design" which allows it to be expand into a
          hydration system that's fully customizable.

          ### EDIT: capitalize "Platypus". Also, "expand" should
          be "expanded".
          In comparison with
          other hydration systems the platypus is very cost effective.

          ### Edit: We really do not want to compare it to other systems, so
          please remove or modify this. You could say "The Platypus is very
          cost effective because I can use a Platy Bottle separately or add
          components to make it a hydration system", or something like that.

          Overview:
          Likes:
          Compactable
          Light Weight
          Versatile
          BPA free

          Dislikes:
          Prone to puncture under certain conditions
          Small mouth piece.

          ### EDIT: Please tell us more about the likes and dislikes (BPA free
          and small mouth piece) you have listed here in the body of the
          report. You did not mention these at all in the report. You might
          also want to use the word `opening' instead of `mouth piece'.

          ### Edit/comment: There are a few things I find missing in your
          field experience section. Have you found the bottle hard to fill due
          to the small mouth opening and/or length of the bladder? Where do
          you normally keep it in your pack? Have you tried it different
          places? Do you find it hard to fit into bladder pockets or awkward
          to pack? Will it fit in an exterior water bottle pocket? Has it
          ever leaked? Do you find it difficult to keep track of the small cap
          when refilling? Do you use it with a water filter? Has the bladder
          stained or discolored? Do you find dirt collects in the gusseted
          bottom (I know mine does). Have you ever used it for anything else
          (pillow, hot water bottle?) Any information you can provide similar
          to this can be very useful to a reader.

          effective, this bottle captures the
          essence of great backpacking gear. As long as they make the Platypus,
          I'll have one in my pack.

          ### Comment: Nice summary.