OR - Coleman 2-Burner Stove - Derek

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
      Respectfully submitted brownie point (I think this stove qualifies as
      base camp gear).

      > http://tinyurl.com/5v2zgm

      ~derek

      # # #

      Coleman 2-Burner Propane PerfectFlow(TM) Stove

      Owner Review by Derek Hansen
      DATE: September 9, 2008

      [Photo of Stove]
      Photo courtesy Coleman.com

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 32
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email Address - derek.dot.hansen.at.mac.dot.com
      City, State, Country - Alexandria, Virginia, USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I began serious backpacking in 2005 after becoming a Scoutmaster for
      a local Boy Scout troop in Virginia. Now, I overnight camp at least
      once a month with two or three week-long high adventure treks every
      year. I am venturing into lightweight backpacking and keep my base
      weight under 18 lb (8.2 kg). I use a hammock year-round.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: The Coleman Company, Inc.
      Year Manufactured: 2005
      Weight Listed: N/A
      Weight Measured: 170.25 oz (4827 g)
      MSRP: US$39.95
      Dimensions Measured: 14.5 x 21 x 4 in (39.4 x 53 x 10.2 cm)
      BTU: 20,000 in two high-performance, adjustable burners Lighting:
      Matchlight
      Fuel: Uses 16.4 oz (465 g) propane cylinders

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Coleman 2-Burner Propane PerfectFlow(TM) Stove is a few-frills,
      basic base-camp stove featuring the Colmean "Windblock(TM)" system
      consisting of slanting metal sheets that fill a double duty of
      blocking side wind and supporting the fold-open lid. The stove has a
      modern shape with rounded edges and carrying handle. The wind shields
      fold down inside the lid for easy packing. The lid has a snap closure
      with a small red nob that releases the catch when opening.

      The safety and operating instructions label is affixed to the inside
      of the lid for ready reference.

      The stove is constructed of "heavy-duty enable painted steel case and
      aluminized cooking surface." The exterior is painted green, and the
      cooking area has a brushed aluminum appearance.

      The two burners operate independent of each other and are controlled
      by separate valve knobs. The two burner control knobs are inset in
      the handle, each controlling the left or right burner respectively.
      The burners are fully adjustable to form a low-heat simmer to a high-
      heat full boil.

      The stove has two removable parts: a grate and an external propane
      connector. The nickel chrome grate fits over the burners and is
      aligned over the burners by matching the grate into pre-punched holes
      in the aluminized cooking surface. The individual wire grates are
      spaced far apart and are suitable for placing a pot, griddle, or
      other cooking pan on top, but is not designed for placing food
      directly on the grate.

      The external propane connector which has a threaded end that connects
      to the right side of the stove and a non-adjustable valve to connect
      to the external propane canister (sold separately). The "PerfectFlow
      (TM)" system refers to the non-adjustable connector that links the
      propane canister with the stove. The pressure from the external
      canister is controlled via the two burner control knobs.

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS

      My wife and I purchased this stove as part of our family "car
      camping" equipment in 2006. The stove fits great in the trunk or the
      back of the van and the propane canisters we need are readily
      available at shopping centers, grocery stores, and often camp stores
      where we overnight.

      We have taken the Coleman stove with us on many overnight and week-
      long camps totaling over 20 days and nights. Three of our most recent
      trips include an excursion at the Assateague National Seashore,
      Maryland; camping near Williamsburg, Virginia; and camping at the
      Bull Run Regional Park in Virginia.

      Our adventure at the Assateague National Seashore in Maryland was at
      sea level, and temperatures ranged from 55 F (13 C) to 90 F (32 C).
      Williamsburg area is about 50 ft in elevation (15 m) with
      temperatures in the same range. Our trip to Bull Run was at an
      elevation of about 285 ft (87 m) and had mild summer temperatures of
      65 F (18 F) to around 80 F (~27 C).

      FIELD USE RESULTS

      While camping on the beach in Assateague, the wind was horrific.
      Partly a blessing in disguise, because the wind prohibited the swarms
      of mosquitos from bothering us, but it made keeping the heat on the
      pots very difficult. The wind swirled and blew, seemingly from all
      directions. The Coleman "Windblock(TM)" stays were not enough to keep
      the wind from blowing the heat off the pot. I tried digging a large
      sand mound to block the wind, but that wasn't effective because-did I
      mention the sand? I had to abandon the sand idea and resorted to just
      piling other kitchen items around the stove and trying to stand in
      strategic locations to block the wind. Luckily, I also had a
      backpacking windscreen in my kit that I was able to use around one of
      the pots. Ultimately, I just used a lot of the fuel to cook and clean-
      up our meals. To light the burners, I had to use a Bic-brand lighter,
      as matches failed in the wind.

      The stove has great temperature controls, but for this trip, I had to
      keep the valve on "high" to compensate for the high wind.

      The situation in Williamsburg was much different: very calm and
      peaceful, except for the rain. Thankfully we had finished cooking our
      evening meal before the rain hit, but I left the stove outside before
      we retired for the night. The stove was closed when the rain came,
      and in the morning I inspected all our gear. The stove was no worse
      for the wear and there was some moisture down in the stove basin.
      Although not exactly waterproof, the cover seemed to do a good job
      keeping the rain out. For breakfast, I placed a griddle over the two
      burners and cooked up some delicious bacon and pancakes that we all
      enjoyed. The two burners did a good job at distributing the heat over
      the griddle, but there were obvious hot spots directly over the jets.
      For better even temperatures, I should probably get a cast iron griddle.

      I should note that the two adjustable valves rotate in opposite
      directions, which can be a little confusing at first. I often forget,
      and when I turn on one side, I glance to see why the other nob isn't
      turning, only to remember that it turns in the opposite direction to
      open and close. The knobs are accurately labeled, it is just a
      strange function to get used to.

      To light the stove, I typically strike a match and lay it down near
      the burner and then open the appropriate valve. This is the
      recommended method, but I've also held a small Bic-brand lighter to
      light the stove (not recommended) and singed my hand in the process.

      Our trip to the Bull Run Regional Park in Virginia was very pleasant
      with no rain and very moderate temperatures. For this trip, I only
      packed the two propane canisters we had used in Assateague and
      Williamsburg. It is hard to tell how empty the canisters are, and I
      guessed we had enough fuel between the two to make it over the
      weekend. I was wrong. For dinner, we planned for spaghetti, with
      green beans and toasted garlic bread. The first canister lasted long
      enough to boil the spaghetti noodles, but eventually sputtered out
      and the flames died. We toasted our bread over a small open fire and
      used the second canister to heat up the sauce and beans and later to
      heat up water for clean-up. For breakfast the next day, I was busy
      cooking bacon and pancakes on the griddle again with the same
      canister. I made it through the bacon and the first few pancakes when
      the second propane canister died out, empty. I guess that trip to
      Assateague really wiped out the fuel! I quickly drove down to the
      camp store only to discover they had no canisters available. I picked
      up some wood and we cooked the remaining pancakes on the griddle over
      hot coals.

      To clean the stove, I typically just wipe down the cooking surface
      with a paper towel. I'm pretty careful not to spill, so I haven't had
      any difficult messes to clean up, thankfully. The surface seems
      pretty easy to clean, but I've also never allowed any food to burn or
      sear onto the metal. A quick wipe-down after each meal has kept our
      Coleman 2-burner stove looking new for a few years, and hopefully
      many more to come.

      SUMMARY

      The Coleman 2-burner propane stove with "PerfectFlow(TM)" system has
      been a great stove for base camping with the family. The carrying
      handle makes it easy to tote from the shelf at home to the back of
      the car or van, and it is very easy to set up and use. The most
      difficult part of set-up is to attach the external metal connector to
      the body of the stove and to twist on the propane canister.

      I've seen some propane stoves with metal stands for the propane
      canister. This stove does not have a stand, so the weight of the
      canister is distributed partly on the connecting tube and the
      canister itself. I've worried about eventual wear on the connection
      ends, but so far I've had no problems.

      Lighting the stove poses its own dangers, but by following the
      directions of lighting the match first and placing it down near the
      burner has proved very effective in low-wind conditions. Coleman does
      sell "InstaStart(TM)" stoves with push-button ignition for matchless
      lighting; this may be an option in the future, but I am happy with
      the performance of the basic model we currently own.

      I hate to waste fuel, but I also learned my lesson by running out of
      fuel by guessing the capacity of a near-depleted canister. It is
      difficult to tell if the canister is full or empty and,
      unfortunately, the canisters are not refillable.

      ROSES

      1. Easy to set-up, and tote.
      2. Fuel is easy to come by and works well in varied conditions.
      3. Adjustable flame for simmering or boiling.
      4. Can hold up to two pots or a griddle over the two burners.

      THORNS

      1. External metal connecting tube doesn't have a stand for the
      propane canister.
      2. Does not have a push-button ignition.
      3. Fuel canisters are not refillable and are difficult to measure
      their capacity (how full is it?).
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2008
          > EDIT/APPROVAL: OR - Coleman 2-Burner Stove - Derek

          Hi Derek - you know the drill. Please see below.

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hansen
          <derek.hansen@...> wrote:

          > Respectfully submitted brownie point (I think this stove qualifies
          as
          > base camp gear).

          ### Comment: Yes... but this month's OR call is for water-related
          gear. ;-) I guess the powers that be may still count it.

          <snip>
          > The external propane connector which has a threaded end that
          connects
          > to the right side of the stove and a non-adjustable valve to
          connect
          > to the external propane canister (sold separately).

          ### EDIT: That sentence got mixed up somewhere. Maybe do away with
          the word "which"?

          <snip>
          > I hate to waste fuel, but I also learned my lesson by running out
          of
          > fuel by guessing the capacity of a near-depleted canister. It is
          > difficult to tell if the canister is full or empty and,
          > unfortunately, the canisters are not refillable.

          ### Comment: Between trips, you can weigh the canister. They should
          list the net weight of the content, so as long as you've taken the
          gross measurement of a full canister, you should be able to get a
          pretty accurate picture.

          ------------

          Allright - that was fast. Please take care of the above and upload at
          your earliest convenience to the proper folder here:
          http://tinyurl.com/65edvs
          Please don't forget to delete the test folder version.

          Regards,

          André
          OR Editor
        • Derek Hansen
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 8, 2008
            Thank you for the edits. I've made the changes, uploaded the page, and
            deleted the old.

            On Sep 8, 2008, at 9:06 AM, André Corterier wrote:
            > > Respectfully submitted brownie point (I think this stove qualifies
            > as base camp gear).
            >
            > ### Comment: Yes... but this month's OR call is for water-related
            > gear. ;-) I guess the powers that be may still count it.

            \me crosses fingers

            I was referring to message #76369 where Ted said, "I will also
            continue Base Camp Gear from last month."

            > ### Comment: Between trips, you can weigh the canister. They should
            > list the net weight of the content, so as long as you've taken the
            > gross measurement of a full canister, you should be able to get a
            > pretty accurate picture.

            Thanks! That is a great idea, and beats the "shake-and-guess" method I
            was employing.

            Best,

            ~derek