Re: EDIT 2: REVISED - OWNER REVIEW - Outdoor research Barrier Dry Sacks

  • guysela
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
      about infected mushroom, of course, just not in person :) do you?

      now down to business:
      i hope the bio is short enough. also, i added more info about the
      ongoing experiments

      OUTDOOR RESEARCH BARRIER DRY SACK
      BY GUY SELA
      OWNER REPORT
      SEPTEMBER 3rd, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Guy Sela
      EMAIL: guysela@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Haifa, Israel
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 154 lb (69.90 kg)

      TESTER BIOGRAPHY

      I started hiking when I was around 3 years old (with the parents, of
      course),

      but my serious trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005.
      Since

      then I've walked many trails in NZ (The Queen Charlotte, Milford and

      Tongariro circuit to name a few), the Vikos gorge in Northern Greece, The

      Pista Altomontana Etnea in Sicily, the Laugavegur in Iceland, and many
      trails

      in Israel. I'm an aspiring lightweight hiker, my current base pack weight

      (not including food, water and fuel) is around 8Kg (18 pounds) and
      dropping.

      I try not to go out when its warm, and use a tent and light sleeping bag

      combination.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
      MSRP: 12-20 US$
      Listed Weight: 1.7 - 4.5 oz (48 - 126 g)
      Measured Weight: 3.1 oz (88 g) for the #4, 4.5 (125 g) for the #6
      Other details: The Barrier dry sacks come in 6 different sizes, (#1
      to #6)

      which are color coded.
      The listed volumes and weights are as follows (I can only verify the
      ones I

      own, #4 and #6):
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Dry sack">>
      #1 6.5L (398 cu in) @ 48g (1.7oz), Green
      #2 10.6L (646 cu in) @ 58g (1.7oz), Light blue
      #3 15.9L (971 cu in) @ 69g (1.7oz), Red
      #4 28.0L (1710 cu in) @ 89g (1.7oz) (I measured 88g), Yellow
      #5 37.0L (2259 cu in) @ 103g (1.7oz), Navy Blue
      #6 55.1L (3364 cu in) @ 126g (1.7oz) (I measured 125g), Earth brown

      The bags are made of soft, waterproofed 70 Denier nylon material. The

      roll-top closing mechanism consists of a belt of thicker fabric running

      around the opening, on the outside, about 2 cm (0.8 in) from the top,
      and a

      buckle at either end of that belt.
      For sealing the sack, as much air as possible has to be squeezed out,
      the top

      belt folded over the opening and rolled down (as much as possible,

      manufacturer says at least three times) and the buckle fastened.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Sealed" IMAGE CAPTION = "Outdoor Research

      Barrier Dry Sack #4">>

      FIELD USE

      I own the #6 (55L, 3364 cu in) and the #4 (28L, 1710 cu in). The #6
      holds

      most of the contents of my 90 Liter (5500 cu in) pack, and the #4 is
      for my

      synthetic -4C (25F) sleeping bag (packed dimensions: 13cm (5.1 in)
      radius, 40

      cm (15.8 in) height). These sacks are my only protection, as I use no
      pack

      fly, poncho or the like.

      The Construction appears solid, and I was never worried when pulling and

      stretching the material in order to pack everything in. All seams but the

      ones at the top are taped (see image).

      The first thing I noticed when I first packed the Outdoor Research
      Barrier

      dry sacks, is that they are completely airtight. After folding the
      top edges

      a couple of times, whatever air is left inside, stays inside. There
      is no

      valve, so they require quite a lot of squeezing before they can be
      sealed.

      This squeeze-seal took a bit of practice until I was satisfied, but
      from then

      on, it only takes a matter of seconds, although there is always some
      air left

      inside.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Roll-top">>

      One thing the sacks are not good for is compression. Because they are
      air

      tight, when stuffing my sleeping bag into the #4 sack, it's quite hard
      to get

      the air trapped at the bottom before sealing the sack. This means that
      it is

      much better to first pack the sleeping bag in a stuff sack, compress, and

      only then place the stuff sack into the Barrier sack and seal. Of
      course,

      this means carrying two items instead of one.

      My testing of the sacks began at home, when I filled the #4 with towels,

      sealed it, and placed it in a bucket of water for 30 minutes, with a
      weight

      on top to make sure it was at least 50% submerged. No water seeped in,
      but

      that was no surprise, because it was obvious that no air had seeped in

      either, the vacuum still held.

      As for field use, I have taken my Outdoor Research Barrier Dry Sacks on a

      couple of hikes.
      The first was the Laugavegur Trail in southern Iceland. On two of the
      4 days

      I encountered heavy rainfall. The minimum temperature we had (not
      while in

      the huts) was around 2C (36F). The walk included crossing some rivers
      and

      streams. In one or two of these crossings, the bottom part of the
      pack (in

      which my sleeping bag is stored) was submerged in the water. As a
      result,

      the dry sack was wet on the outside when I checked it later that day, but

      there was no noticeable moisture on the inside.
      The second trip was to the Zagori region in northern Greece. The walk was

      again 4 days long, during which 1 was rainy. In this case, by the time I

      arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the touch.
      Again,

      there was no moisture inside the sacks.
      In all cases, even though the sacks were wet on the outside, the
      vacuum was

      still there, and no water found its way inside.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Seams" IMAGE CAPTION = "Taped and untaped

      seams">>
      During all of the walking days, both Outdoor Research Barrier Dry
      Sacks were

      kept sealed in my pack for 6-10 hours at a time. Just to satisfy my
      curiosity

      when writing this report, I've been conducting experiment to see how long

      they can remain sealed up without air seeping in, and how dry they remain

      after being used in the field. When there is not much equipment in the
      sacks

      and I roll the top at least 6-7 times, the #4 manages to keep a
      reasonable

      vacuum for around 3 days, the #6 for around 24 hours. When rolling only 3

      times (as manufacturer advises), the vacuum holds for much less, an
      average

      of around 30 minutes for both bags. I also repeated the bathtub
      experiment.

      This time, placing heavy objects inside the sacks. After around 20
      minutes,

      there were a few drops of water inside, at the points where the objects

      placed inside came in contact with the tub floor. I also left the sack

      floating all night in bucket of water (without any contact with the
      bucket),

      and in the morning there was very little moisture inside. one thing
      that did

      surprise me was that there was some bleeding of the color of the sack
      into

      the water.

      After some use, they are still able to provide adequate protection
      from rain

      and the occasional river dip. The seams seem to hold very nicely (bear in

      mind that the vacuum placed quite a lot of pressure on the seams), and
      the

      taped seems are all still intact.

      SUMMARY

      The Outdoor Research Barrier Dry Sacks are a simple, lightweight
      option for

      protecting your gear. I quickly learned I never have to worry about the

      inside of my pack (and most importantly, my sleeping bag) getting wet,
      even

      when part of the pack was underwater. Although they are not perfect, the

      protection to price and weight ratio is quite appealing.

      One important thing to point out is the need to squeeze out as much
      air as

      possible before sealing the sacks. This is due to two things: the
      first is

      that you don't want extra air inside your pack, because it takes up
      space.

      The second, more important point is that an inflated air tight sack is
      more

      easily punctured or popped. This takes a bit of practice, but seems to
      me is

      a small price to pay for the added protection these sacks offer.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. Light weight
      2. Durable
      3. Air tight
      4. Many sizes
      5. Low price

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1. No valve or one way ventilated fabric (requires some practice packing)
      2. Hard to compress items like sleeping bags (air pockets remain inside)
      3. No extra small size option for keeping those small valuables (cell
      phone,

      etc)

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2008
        Guy,

        No, I don't know them personally... though I'd like to. Love their music.
        :-P

        Please remember when you upload any HTML version to include a link to the
        uploaded report so your editor doesn't have to go searching for it. I
        suggest using tinyurl.com or another variant to shrink the URL since they
        can grow quite long.

        As usual;
        EDIT: Change Me
        Edit: Think about changing me
        Comment: Everything else

        Your report is coming along very nice. Please correct the edits I have
        listed below. AFTER completing the edits, you may upload your report to the
        following directory: http://tinyurl.com/5k2l59

        AB

        _____
        Visit Corridor9
        http://www.corridor9.net
        ____________________________

        > TESTER BIOGRAPHY
        >
        > I started hiking when I was around 3 years old (with the parents, of
        > course),
        >
        > but my serious trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005.
        > Since
        >
        > then I've walked many trails in NZ (The Queen Charlotte, Milford and
        >
        > Tongariro circuit to name a few), the Vikos gorge in Northern Greece,
        > The
        >
        > Pista Altomontana Etnea in Sicily, the Laugavegur in Iceland, and many
        > trails
        >
        > in Israel. I'm an aspiring lightweight hiker, my current base pack
        > weight
        >
        > (not including food, water and fuel) is around 8Kg (18 pounds) and
        > dropping.
        >
        > I try not to go out when its warm, and use a tent and light sleeping
        EDIT: Change "its" to "it's"

        > bag
        >
        > combination.
        EDIT: The tester bio is still 9 words too long. You need to get it to 100
        words or less.

        > PRODUCT INFORMATION
        >
        > Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
        > Year of Manufacture: 2006
        > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
        EDIT: Your website link is not clickable in the HTML version. Please change
        this.

        > arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the touch.
        > Again,
        > there was no moisture inside the sacks.
        EDIT: Need you to clarify this. Do you mean that everything inside your pack
        that was not in the barrier sack was clammy to the touch; or do you mean
        that everything inside your pack, including the items in the dry sack, was
        clammy to the touch?
      • guysela
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
          Hi

          The HTML is here <http://tinyurl.com/5a42xc> ,

          and the text is pasted below. Thanks again!

          OUTDOOR RESEARCH BARRIER DRY SACK
          BY GUY SELA
          Owner Report
          August 16, 2008

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Guy Sela
          EMAIL: guysela@...
          AGE: 30
          LOCATION: Haifa, Israel
          GENDER: M
          HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
          WEIGHT: 154 lb (69.90 kg)

          I started hiking when I was 3 years old (with the parents), but my
          serious

          trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005. Since then I've
          walked

          trails in NZ (Queen Charlotte, Milford and Tongariro circuit to name a
          few),

          the Vikos gorge in Northern Greece, The Pista Altomontana Etnea in
          Sicily,

          the Laugavegur in Iceland, and many trails in Israel. I'm an aspiring

          lightweight hiker, my current base pack weight (not including food,
          water and

          fuel) is 8Kg (18 pounds) and dropping. I prefer hiking in cool weather,

          #1 6.5L (398 cu in) @ 48g (1.7oz), Green
          #2 10.6L (646 cu in) @ 58g (1.7oz), Light blue
          #3 15.9L (971 cu in) @ 69g (1.7oz), Red
          #4 28.0L (1710 cu in) @ 89g (1.7oz) (I measured 88g), Yellow
          #5 37.0L (2259 cu in) @ 103g (1.7oz), Navy Blue
          #6 55.1L (3364 cu in) @ 126g (1.7oz) (I measured 125g), Earth brown

[...]

          arrived at the hut everything inside my pack that wasn't inside the dry
          sacks

          ------------------------------
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov" <rescue@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          100
          > words or less.
          >
          > > PRODUCT INFORMATION
          > >
          > > Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
          > > Year of Manufacture: 2006
          > > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
          > EDIT: Your website link is not clickable in the HTML version. Please
          change
          > this.
          >
          > > arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the
          touch.
          > > Again,
          > > there was no moisture inside the sacks.
          > EDIT: Need you to clarify this. Do you mean that everything inside
          your pack
          > that was not in the barrier sack was clammy to the touch; or do you
          mean
          > that everything inside your pack, including the items in the dry sack,

        • Andrew Buskov
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
            Guy,

            Looks very good. Thank you for including the Tinyurl, it really helps out
            the editors a lot.

            When your editor gives you the approval to upload your reviews to the
            final folder, you don't need to re-upload to the Owner Review Test folder.
            Just go ahead and upload where the editor tell you.

            You also don't need to repost the text version back to this list after
            this final upload. A simple message on list saying that you've uploaded
            the final report gives the editor enough notice to check it out and make
            sure it looks good. If problems arise, the editor will post additional
            edits to the list for you.

            As per my last email, go ahead and upload your final report to the correct
            folder; http://tinyurl.com/5k2l59

            As per above, let me know when it's uploaded and I'll check it out to make
            sure it's all good.

            Very good working with you.

            AB

            _____
            Visit Corridor9
            http://www.corridor9.net
          • guysela
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
              Done. Here <http://tinyurl.com/6q45cc> it is.

              I want to thank you so much for spending all this time helping me with
              my report. It's nice to give something back. I cant wait to start on my
              other owner reports, hopefully i'll have much more to write when I
              return from corsica.

              Again, thank you so much, for everything
              Guy