RE: [BackpackGearTest] Re: EDIT: REVISED - OWNER REVIEW - Outdoor research Barrier Dry Sacks

  • Andrew Buskov
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2 9:10 AM
      No, you are not wrong. When we're ready, I'll have you upload the HTML
      version with the photo's for review. Probably after I edit this latest post.

      AB

      > as for your question, yes,
      > there are photos, but i dont think i can post them here, am i wrong?
    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3 10:33 AM
        Here ya go!

        As usual;
        EDIT: Change Me
        Edit: Think about changing me
        Comment: Everything else

        After finishing these edits, upload your HTML version to
        http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa
        Make sure to upload pictures too. After uploading, copy the text version and
        resubmit it here. I'll edit the HTML but give edits back to you via the text
        version, just like below. Any questions, feel free to ask.

        BTW, noticed you were in Haifa. Wouldn't happen to know the guys from
        Infected Mushroom would ya?

        AB
        _____
        Visit Corridor9
        http://www.corridor9.net
        ____________________________

        > I started hiking when I was around 3 years old (with the parents, of
        > course),
        > but my serious trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005.
        > Since
        > then I've walked many trails in NZ (among others, the Queen Charlotte
        > track,
        > Milford track and Tongariro circuit), the Pindus region of Northern
        > Greece,
        > The Pista Altomontana Etnea in Sicily, the Laugavegur in Iceland, and
        > of
        > course, many, many trails in Israel. I'm an aspiring lightweight
        > hiker, my
        > current base pack weight (not including food, water and fuel) is
        > around 8Kg
        > (18 pounds), although I'm still working on further reducing it. I
        > like to
        > hike when it isn't too hot out, usually not a problem when in higher
        > altitudes, which i prefer. Since I don't go out when its too warm, I
        > use a
        > tent and light sleeping bag combination. My next hike will be the GR20
        > in
        > Corsica, during October of 2008.
        EDIT: Figured that might happen; when you added the additional information
        at the bottom of your Background Information, your word count went to 150.
        You need to prune it back down, while keeping the necessary information, to
        100 words or less.

        > I own the #6 (55L, 3364 cu in) and the #4 (28L, 1710 cu in). The #6
        > holds
        > most of the contents of my 90 Liter (5500 cu in) pack, and the #4 is
        > for my
        > synthetic -4C (25F) sleeping bag (packed dimensions: 13cm (5.1 in)
        > radius, 40
        > cm (15.8 in) height). These sacks are my only protection, as I use no
        > pack
        Comment: VERY GOOD! I like the way you input the packed dimensions as well.

        > tight, when stuffing my sleeping bag into the #4 sack, its quite hard
        > to get
        EDIT: Change "its" to "it's"

        > the were a few drops of water inside, at the points where the objects
        EDIT: Change "the" to "there"

        > SIGNATURE
        > Include your name, your personal website, etc.
        EDIT: You can feel free to remove this information.
      • guysela
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3 3:07 PM
          about infected mushroom, of course, just not in person :) do you?

          now down to business:
          i hope the bio is short enough. also, i added more info about the
          ongoing experiments

          OUTDOOR RESEARCH BARRIER DRY SACK
          BY GUY SELA
          OWNER REPORT
          SEPTEMBER 3rd, 2008

          TESTER INFORMATION

          NAME: Guy Sela
          EMAIL: guysela@...
          AGE: 30
          LOCATION: Haifa, Israel
          GENDER: M
          HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
          WEIGHT: 154 lb (69.90 kg)

          TESTER BIOGRAPHY

          I started hiking when I was around 3 years old (with the parents, of
          course),

          but my serious trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005.
          Since

          then I've walked many trails in NZ (The Queen Charlotte, Milford and

          Tongariro circuit to name a few), the Vikos gorge in Northern Greece, The

          Pista Altomontana Etnea in Sicily, the Laugavegur in Iceland, and many
          trails

          in Israel. I'm an aspiring lightweight hiker, my current base pack weight

          (not including food, water and fuel) is around 8Kg (18 pounds) and
          dropping.

          I try not to go out when its warm, and use a tent and light sleeping bag

          combination.

          PRODUCT INFORMATION

          Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
          Year of Manufacture: 2006
          Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
          MSRP: 12-20 US$
          Listed Weight: 1.7 - 4.5 oz (48 - 126 g)
          Measured Weight: 3.1 oz (88 g) for the #4, 4.5 (125 g) for the #6
          Other details: The Barrier dry sacks come in 6 different sizes, (#1
          to #6)

          which are color coded.
          The listed volumes and weights are as follows (I can only verify the
          ones I

          own, #4 and #6):
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Dry sack">>
          #1 6.5L (398 cu in) @ 48g (1.7oz), Green
          #2 10.6L (646 cu in) @ 58g (1.7oz), Light blue
          #3 15.9L (971 cu in) @ 69g (1.7oz), Red
          #4 28.0L (1710 cu in) @ 89g (1.7oz) (I measured 88g), Yellow
          #5 37.0L (2259 cu in) @ 103g (1.7oz), Navy Blue
          #6 55.1L (3364 cu in) @ 126g (1.7oz) (I measured 125g), Earth brown

          The bags are made of soft, waterproofed 70 Denier nylon material. The

          roll-top closing mechanism consists of a belt of thicker fabric running

          around the opening, on the outside, about 2 cm (0.8 in) from the top,
          and a

          buckle at either end of that belt.
          For sealing the sack, as much air as possible has to be squeezed out,
          the top

          belt folded over the opening and rolled down (as much as possible,

          manufacturer says at least three times) and the buckle fastened.
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Sealed" IMAGE CAPTION = "Outdoor Research

          Barrier Dry Sack #4">>

          FIELD USE

          I own the #6 (55L, 3364 cu in) and the #4 (28L, 1710 cu in). The #6
          holds

          most of the contents of my 90 Liter (5500 cu in) pack, and the #4 is
          for my

          synthetic -4C (25F) sleeping bag (packed dimensions: 13cm (5.1 in)
          radius, 40

          cm (15.8 in) height). These sacks are my only protection, as I use no
          pack

          fly, poncho or the like.

          The Construction appears solid, and I was never worried when pulling and

          stretching the material in order to pack everything in. All seams but the

          ones at the top are taped (see image).

          The first thing I noticed when I first packed the Outdoor Research
          Barrier

          dry sacks, is that they are completely airtight. After folding the
          top edges

          a couple of times, whatever air is left inside, stays inside. There
          is no

          valve, so they require quite a lot of squeezing before they can be
          sealed.

          This squeeze-seal took a bit of practice until I was satisfied, but
          from then

          on, it only takes a matter of seconds, although there is always some
          air left

          inside.

          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Roll-top">>

          One thing the sacks are not good for is compression. Because they are
          air

          tight, when stuffing my sleeping bag into the #4 sack, it's quite hard
          to get

          the air trapped at the bottom before sealing the sack. This means that
          it is

          much better to first pack the sleeping bag in a stuff sack, compress, and

          only then place the stuff sack into the Barrier sack and seal. Of
          course,

          this means carrying two items instead of one.

          My testing of the sacks began at home, when I filled the #4 with towels,

          sealed it, and placed it in a bucket of water for 30 minutes, with a
          weight

          on top to make sure it was at least 50% submerged. No water seeped in,
          but

          that was no surprise, because it was obvious that no air had seeped in

          either, the vacuum still held.

          As for field use, I have taken my Outdoor Research Barrier Dry Sacks on a

          couple of hikes.
          The first was the Laugavegur Trail in southern Iceland. On two of the
          4 days

          I encountered heavy rainfall. The minimum temperature we had (not
          while in

          the huts) was around 2C (36F). The walk included crossing some rivers
          and

          streams. In one or two of these crossings, the bottom part of the
          pack (in

          which my sleeping bag is stored) was submerged in the water. As a
          result,

          the dry sack was wet on the outside when I checked it later that day, but

          there was no noticeable moisture on the inside.
          The second trip was to the Zagori region in northern Greece. The walk was

          again 4 days long, during which 1 was rainy. In this case, by the time I

          arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the touch.
          Again,

          there was no moisture inside the sacks.
          In all cases, even though the sacks were wet on the outside, the
          vacuum was

          still there, and no water found its way inside.
          <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Seams" IMAGE CAPTION = "Taped and untaped

          seams">>
          During all of the walking days, both Outdoor Research Barrier Dry
          Sacks were

          kept sealed in my pack for 6-10 hours at a time. Just to satisfy my
          curiosity

          when writing this report, I've been conducting experiment to see how long

          they can remain sealed up without air seeping in, and how dry they remain

          after being used in the field. When there is not much equipment in the
          sacks

          and I roll the top at least 6-7 times, the #4 manages to keep a
          reasonable

          vacuum for around 3 days, the #6 for around 24 hours. When rolling only 3

          times (as manufacturer advises), the vacuum holds for much less, an
          average

          of around 30 minutes for both bags. I also repeated the bathtub
          experiment.

          This time, placing heavy objects inside the sacks. After around 20
          minutes,

          there were a few drops of water inside, at the points where the objects

          placed inside came in contact with the tub floor. I also left the sack

          floating all night in bucket of water (without any contact with the
          bucket),

          and in the morning there was very little moisture inside. one thing
          that did

          surprise me was that there was some bleeding of the color of the sack
          into

          the water.

          After some use, they are still able to provide adequate protection
          from rain

          and the occasional river dip. The seams seem to hold very nicely (bear in

          mind that the vacuum placed quite a lot of pressure on the seams), and
          the

          taped seems are all still intact.

          SUMMARY

          The Outdoor Research Barrier Dry Sacks are a simple, lightweight
          option for

          protecting your gear. I quickly learned I never have to worry about the

          inside of my pack (and most importantly, my sleeping bag) getting wet,
          even

          when part of the pack was underwater. Although they are not perfect, the

          protection to price and weight ratio is quite appealing.

          One important thing to point out is the need to squeeze out as much
          air as

          possible before sealing the sacks. This is due to two things: the
          first is

          that you don't want extra air inside your pack, because it takes up
          space.

          The second, more important point is that an inflated air tight sack is
          more

          easily punctured or popped. This takes a bit of practice, but seems to
          me is

          a small price to pay for the added protection these sacks offer.

          THINGS I LIKE

          1. Light weight
          2. Durable
          3. Air tight
          4. Many sizes
          5. Low price

          THINGS I DON'T LIKE

          1. No valve or one way ventilated fabric (requires some practice packing)
          2. Hard to compress items like sleeping bags (air pockets remain inside)
          3. No extra small size option for keeping those small valuables (cell
          phone,

          etc)

          Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
        • Andrew Buskov
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7 7:19 AM
            Guy,

            No, I don't know them personally... though I'd like to. Love their music.
            :-P

            Please remember when you upload any HTML version to include a link to the
            uploaded report so your editor doesn't have to go searching for it. I
            suggest using tinyurl.com or another variant to shrink the URL since they
            can grow quite long.

            As usual;
            EDIT: Change Me
            Edit: Think about changing me
            Comment: Everything else

            Your report is coming along very nice. Please correct the edits I have
            listed below. AFTER completing the edits, you may upload your report to the
            following directory: http://tinyurl.com/5k2l59

            AB

            _____
            Visit Corridor9
            http://www.corridor9.net
            ____________________________

            > TESTER BIOGRAPHY
            >
            > I started hiking when I was around 3 years old (with the parents, of
            > course),
            >
            > but my serious trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005.
            > Since
            >
            > then I've walked many trails in NZ (The Queen Charlotte, Milford and
            >
            > Tongariro circuit to name a few), the Vikos gorge in Northern Greece,
            > The
            >
            > Pista Altomontana Etnea in Sicily, the Laugavegur in Iceland, and many
            > trails
            >
            > in Israel. I'm an aspiring lightweight hiker, my current base pack
            > weight
            >
            > (not including food, water and fuel) is around 8Kg (18 pounds) and
            > dropping.
            >
            > I try not to go out when its warm, and use a tent and light sleeping
            EDIT: Change "its" to "it's"

            > bag
            >
            > combination.
            EDIT: The tester bio is still 9 words too long. You need to get it to 100
            words or less.

            > PRODUCT INFORMATION
            >
            > Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
            > Year of Manufacture: 2006
            > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
            EDIT: Your website link is not clickable in the HTML version. Please change
            this.

            > arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the touch.
            > Again,
            > there was no moisture inside the sacks.
            EDIT: Need you to clarify this. Do you mean that everything inside your pack
            that was not in the barrier sack was clammy to the touch; or do you mean
            that everything inside your pack, including the items in the dry sack, was
            clammy to the touch?
          • guysela
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 9 9:09 AM
              Hi

              The HTML is here <http://tinyurl.com/5a42xc> ,

              and the text is pasted below. Thanks again!

              OUTDOOR RESEARCH BARRIER DRY SACK
              BY GUY SELA
              Owner Report
              August 16, 2008

              TESTER INFORMATION

              NAME: Guy Sela
              EMAIL: guysela@...
              AGE: 30
              LOCATION: Haifa, Israel
              GENDER: M
              HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
              WEIGHT: 154 lb (69.90 kg)

              I started hiking when I was 3 years old (with the parents), but my
              serious

              trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005. Since then I've
              walked

              trails in NZ (Queen Charlotte, Milford and Tongariro circuit to name a
              few),

              the Vikos gorge in Northern Greece, The Pista Altomontana Etnea in
              Sicily,

              the Laugavegur in Iceland, and many trails in Israel. I'm an aspiring

              lightweight hiker, my current base pack weight (not including food,
              water and

              fuel) is 8Kg (18 pounds) and dropping. I prefer hiking in cool weather,

              #1 6.5L (398 cu in) @ 48g (1.7oz), Green
              #2 10.6L (646 cu in) @ 58g (1.7oz), Light blue
              #3 15.9L (971 cu in) @ 69g (1.7oz), Red
              #4 28.0L (1710 cu in) @ 89g (1.7oz) (I measured 88g), Yellow
              #5 37.0L (2259 cu in) @ 103g (1.7oz), Navy Blue
              #6 55.1L (3364 cu in) @ 126g (1.7oz) (I measured 125g), Earth brown

[...]

              arrived at the hut everything inside my pack that wasn't inside the dry
              sacks

              ------------------------------
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov" <rescue@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              100
              > words or less.
              >
              > > PRODUCT INFORMATION
              > >
              > > Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
              > > Year of Manufacture: 2006
              > > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
              > EDIT: Your website link is not clickable in the HTML version. Please
              change
              > this.
              >
              > > arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the
              touch.
              > > Again,
              > > there was no moisture inside the sacks.
              > EDIT: Need you to clarify this. Do you mean that everything inside
              your pack
              > that was not in the barrier sack was clammy to the touch; or do you
              mean
              > that everything inside your pack, including the items in the dry sack,

            • Andrew Buskov
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 9 9:44 AM
                Guy,

                Looks very good. Thank you for including the Tinyurl, it really helps out
                the editors a lot.

                When your editor gives you the approval to upload your reviews to the
                final folder, you don't need to re-upload to the Owner Review Test folder.
                Just go ahead and upload where the editor tell you.

                You also don't need to repost the text version back to this list after
                this final upload. A simple message on list saying that you've uploaded
                the final report gives the editor enough notice to check it out and make
                sure it looks good. If problems arise, the editor will post additional
                edits to the list for you.

                As per my last email, go ahead and upload your final report to the correct
                folder; http://tinyurl.com/5k2l59

                As per above, let me know when it's uploaded and I'll check it out to make
                sure it's all good.

                Very good working with you.

                AB

                _____
                Visit Corridor9
                http://www.corridor9.net
              • guysela
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 9 1:25 PM
                  Done. Here <http://tinyurl.com/6q45cc> it is.

                  I want to thank you so much for spending all this time helping me with
                  my report. It's nice to give something back. I cant wait to start on my
                  other owner reports, hopefully i'll have much more to write when I
                  return from corsica.

                  Again, thank you so much, for everything
                  Guy