Re: EDIT: REVISED - OWNER REVIEW - Outdoor research Barrier Dry Sacks

  • guysela
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
      thanks for the comments, and sorry for all the non capitalized 'i's.
      ive made the changes you mentioned, and also added information about
      the continued experiments ive been doing. as for your question, yes,
      there are photos, but i dont think i can post them here, am i wrong?

      OUTDOOR RESEARCH BARRIER DRY SACK
      BY GUY SELA
      Owner Report
      September 2nd, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Guy Sela
      EMAIL: guysela@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Haifa, Israel
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 154 lb (69.90 kg)

      TESTER BIOGRAPHY

      I started hiking when I was around 3 years old (with the parents, of
      course),

      but my serious trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005.
      Since

      then I've walked many trails in NZ (among others, the Queen Charlotte
      track,

      Milford track and Tongariro circuit), the Pindus region of Northern
      Greece,

      The Pista Altomontana Etnea in Sicily, the Laugavegur in Iceland, and of

      course, many, many trails in Israel. I'm an aspiring lightweight
      hiker, my

      current base pack weight (not including food, water and fuel) is
      around 8Kg

      (18 pounds), although I'm still working on further reducing it. I
      like to

      hike when it isn't too hot out, usually not a problem when in higher

      altitudes, which i prefer. Since I don't go out when its too warm, I
      use a

      tent and light sleeping bag combination. My next hike will be the GR20 in

      Corsica, during October of 2008.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
      MSRP: 12-20 US$
      Listed Weight: 1.7 - 4.5 oz (48 - 126 g)
      Measured Weight: 3.1 oz (88 g) for the #4, 4.5 (125 g) for the #6
      Other details: The Barrier dry sacks come in 6 different sizes, (#1
      to #6)

      which are color coded.
      The listed volumes and weights are as follows (I can only verify the
      ones I

      own, #4 and #6):

      #1 6.5L (398 cu in) @ 48g (1.7oz), Green
      #2 10.6L (646 cu in) @ 58g (1.7oz), Light blue
      #3 15.9L (971 cu in) @ 69g (1.7oz), Red
      #4 28.0L (1710 cu in) @ 89g (1.7oz) (I measured 88g), Yellow
      #5 37.0L (2259 cu in) @ 103g (1.7oz), Navy Blue
      #6 55.1L (3364 cu in) @ 126g (1.7oz) (I measured 125g), Earth brown

      The bags are made of soft, waterproofed 70 Denier nylon material. The

      roll-top closing mechanism consists of a belt of thicker fabric running

      around the opening, on the outside, about 2 cm (0.8 in) from the top,
      and a

      buckle at either end of that belt.
      For sealing the sack, as much air as possible has to be squeezed out,
      the top

      belt folded over the opening and rolled down (as much as possible,

      manufacturer says at least three times) and the buckle fastened.

      FIELD USE

      I own the #6 (55L, 3364 cu in) and the #4 (28L, 1710 cu in). The #6
      holds

      most of the contents of my 90 Liter (5500 cu in) pack, and the #4 is
      for my

      synthetic -4C (25F) sleeping bag (packed dimensions: 13cm (5.1 in)
      radius, 40

      cm (15.8 in) height). These sacks are my only protection, as I use no
      pack

      fly, poncho or the like.

      The Construction appears solid, and I was never worried when pulling and

      stretching the material in order to pack everything in. All seams but the

      ones at the top are taped (see image).

      The first thing I noticed when I first packed the Outdoor Research
      Barrier

      dry sacks, is that they are completely airtight. After folding the
      top edges

      a couple of times, whatever air is left inside, stays inside. There
      is no

      valve, so they require quite a lot of squeezing before they can be
      sealed.

      This squeeze-seal took a bit of practice until I was satisfied, but
      from then

      on, it only takes a matter of seconds, although there is always some
      air left

      inside.

      One thing the sacks are not good for is compression. Because they are
      air

      tight, when stuffing my sleeping bag into the #4 sack, its quite hard
      to get

      the air trapped at the bottom before sealing the sack. This means that
      it is

      much better to first pack the sleeping bag in a stuff sack, compress, and

      only then place the stuff sack into the Barrier sack and seal. Of
      course,

      this means carrying two items instead of one.

      My testing of the sacks began at home, when I filled the #4 with towels,

      sealed it, and placed it in a bucket of water for 30 minutes, with a
      weight

      on top to make sure it was at least 50% submerged. No water seeped in,
      but

      that was no surprise, because it was obvious that no air had seeped in

      either, the vacuum still held.

      As for field use, I have taken my Outdoor Research Barrier Dry Sacks on a

      couple of hikes.
      The first was the Laugavegur Trail in southern Iceland. On two of the
      4 days

      I encountered heavy rainfall. The minimum temperature we had (not
      while in

      the huts) was around 2C (36F). The walk included crossing some rivers
      and

      streams. In one or two of these crossings, the bottom part of the
      pack (in

      which my sleeping bag is stored) was submerged in the water. As a
      result,

      the dry sack was wet on the outside when I checked it later that day, but

      there was no noticeable moisture on the inside.
      The second trip was to the Zagori region in northern Greece. The walk was

      again 4 days long, during which one was rainy. In this case, by the
      time I arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the
      touch. Again, there was no moisture inside the sacks.
      In all cases, even though the sacks were wet on the outside, the
      vacuum was

      still there, and no water found its way inside.

      During all of the walking days, both Outdoor Research Barrier Dry
      Sacks were

      kept sealed in my pack for 6-10 hours at a time. Just to satisfy my
      curiosity

      when writing this report, I've been conducting experiment to see how long

      they can remain sealed up without air seeping in, and how dry they remain

      after being used in the field. When there is not much equipment in the
      sacks

      and I roll the top at least 6-7 times, the #4 manages to keep a
      reasonable

      vacuum for around 3 days, the #6 for around 24 hours. When rolling only 3

      times (as manufacturer advises), the vacuum holds for much less, an
      average

      of around 30 minutes for both bags. I also repeated the bathtub
      experiment.

      This time, placing heavy objects inside the sacks. After around 20
      minutes,

      the were a few drops of water inside, at the points where the objects
      placed

      inside came in contact with the tub floor.

      After some use, they are still able to provide adequate protection
      from rain

      and the occasional river dip. The seams seem to hold very nicely (bear in

      mind that the vacuum placed quite a lot of pressure on the seams), and
      the

      taped seems are all still intact.

      SUMMARY

      The Outdoor Research Barrier Dry Sacks are a simple, lightweight
      option for

      protecting your gear. I quickly learned I never have to worry about the

      inside of my pack (and most importantly, my sleeping bag) getting wet,
      even

      when part of the pack was underwater. Although they are not perfect, the

      protection to price and weight ratio is quite appealing.

      One important thing to point out is the need to squeeze out as much
      air as

      possible before sealing the sacks. This is due to two things: the
      first is

      that you don't want extra air inside your pack, because it takes up
      space.

      The second, more important point is that an inflated air tight sack is
      more

      easily punctured or popped. This takes a bit of practice, but seems to
      me is

      a small price to pay for the added protection these sacks offer.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. Light weight
      2. Durable
      3. Air tight
      4. Many sizes
      5. Low price

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1. No valve or one way ventilated fabric (requires some practice packing)
      2. Hard to compress items like sleeping bags (air pockets remain inside)
      3. No extra small size option for keeping those small valuables (cell
      phone,

      etc)

      SIGNATURE

      Include your name, your personal website, etc.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
        No, you are not wrong. When we're ready, I'll have you upload the HTML
        version with the photo's for review. Probably after I edit this latest post.

        AB

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
          Here ya go!

          As usual;
          EDIT: Change Me
          Edit: Think about changing me
          Comment: Everything else

          After finishing these edits, upload your HTML version to
          http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa
          Make sure to upload pictures too. After uploading, copy the text version and
          resubmit it here. I'll edit the HTML but give edits back to you via the text
          version, just like below. Any questions, feel free to ask.

          BTW, noticed you were in Haifa. Wouldn't happen to know the guys from
          Infected Mushroom would ya?

          AB
          _____
          Visit Corridor9
          http://www.corridor9.net
          ____________________________

          > I started hiking when I was around 3 years old (with the parents, of
          > course),
          > but my serious trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005.
          > Since
          > then I've walked many trails in NZ (among others, the Queen Charlotte
          > track,
          > Milford track and Tongariro circuit), the Pindus region of Northern
          > Greece,
          > The Pista Altomontana Etnea in Sicily, the Laugavegur in Iceland, and
          > of
          > course, many, many trails in Israel. I'm an aspiring lightweight
          > hiker, my
          > current base pack weight (not including food, water and fuel) is
          > around 8Kg
          > (18 pounds), although I'm still working on further reducing it. I
          > like to
          > hike when it isn't too hot out, usually not a problem when in higher
          > altitudes, which i prefer. Since I don't go out when its too warm, I
          > use a
          > tent and light sleeping bag combination. My next hike will be the GR20
          > in
          > Corsica, during October of 2008.
          EDIT: Figured that might happen; when you added the additional information
          at the bottom of your Background Information, your word count went to 150.
          You need to prune it back down, while keeping the necessary information, to
          100 words or less.

          > I own the #6 (55L, 3364 cu in) and the #4 (28L, 1710 cu in). The #6
          > holds
          > most of the contents of my 90 Liter (5500 cu in) pack, and the #4 is
          > for my
          > synthetic -4C (25F) sleeping bag (packed dimensions: 13cm (5.1 in)
          > radius, 40
          > cm (15.8 in) height). These sacks are my only protection, as I use no
          > pack
          Comment: VERY GOOD! I like the way you input the packed dimensions as well.

          > tight, when stuffing my sleeping bag into the #4 sack, its quite hard
          > to get
          EDIT: Change "its" to "it's"

          > the were a few drops of water inside, at the points where the objects
          EDIT: Change "the" to "there"

          > SIGNATURE
          > Include your name, your personal website, etc.
          EDIT: You can feel free to remove this information.
        • guysela
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
            about infected mushroom, of course, just not in person :) do you?

            now down to business:
            i hope the bio is short enough. also, i added more info about the
            ongoing experiments

            OUTDOOR RESEARCH BARRIER DRY SACK
            BY GUY SELA
            OWNER REPORT
            SEPTEMBER 3rd, 2008

            TESTER INFORMATION

            NAME: Guy Sela
            EMAIL: guysela@...
            AGE: 30
            LOCATION: Haifa, Israel
            GENDER: M
            HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
            WEIGHT: 154 lb (69.90 kg)

            TESTER BIOGRAPHY

            I started hiking when I was around 3 years old (with the parents, of
            course),

            but my serious trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005.
            Since

            then I've walked many trails in NZ (The Queen Charlotte, Milford and

            Tongariro circuit to name a few), the Vikos gorge in Northern Greece, The

            Pista Altomontana Etnea in Sicily, the Laugavegur in Iceland, and many
            trails

            in Israel. I'm an aspiring lightweight hiker, my current base pack weight

            (not including food, water and fuel) is around 8Kg (18 pounds) and
            dropping.

            I try not to go out when its warm, and use a tent and light sleeping bag

            combination.

            PRODUCT INFORMATION

            Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
            Year of Manufacture: 2006
            Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
            MSRP: 12-20 US$
            Listed Weight: 1.7 - 4.5 oz (48 - 126 g)
            Measured Weight: 3.1 oz (88 g) for the #4, 4.5 (125 g) for the #6
            Other details: The Barrier dry sacks come in 6 different sizes, (#1
            to #6)

            which are color coded.
            The listed volumes and weights are as follows (I can only verify the
            ones I

            own, #4 and #6):
            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Dry sack">>
            #1 6.5L (398 cu in) @ 48g (1.7oz), Green
            #2 10.6L (646 cu in) @ 58g (1.7oz), Light blue
            #3 15.9L (971 cu in) @ 69g (1.7oz), Red
            #4 28.0L (1710 cu in) @ 89g (1.7oz) (I measured 88g), Yellow
            #5 37.0L (2259 cu in) @ 103g (1.7oz), Navy Blue
            #6 55.1L (3364 cu in) @ 126g (1.7oz) (I measured 125g), Earth brown

            The bags are made of soft, waterproofed 70 Denier nylon material. The

            roll-top closing mechanism consists of a belt of thicker fabric running

            around the opening, on the outside, about 2 cm (0.8 in) from the top,
            and a

            buckle at either end of that belt.
            For sealing the sack, as much air as possible has to be squeezed out,
            the top

            belt folded over the opening and rolled down (as much as possible,

            manufacturer says at least three times) and the buckle fastened.
            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Sealed" IMAGE CAPTION = "Outdoor Research

            Barrier Dry Sack #4">>

[...]

            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Roll-top">>

[...]

            again 4 days long, during which 1 was rainy. In this case, by the time I

            arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the touch.
            Again,

            there was no moisture inside the sacks.
            In all cases, even though the sacks were wet on the outside, the
            vacuum was

            still there, and no water found its way inside.
            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Seams" IMAGE CAPTION = "Taped and untaped

            seams">>
[...]

            there were a few drops of water inside, at the points where the objects

            placed inside came in contact with the tub floor. I also left the sack

            floating all night in bucket of water (without any contact with the
            bucket),

            and in the morning there was very little moisture inside. one thing
            that did

            surprise me was that there was some bleeding of the color of the sack
            into

            the water.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7, 2008
              Guy,

              No, I don't know them personally... though I'd like to. Love their music.
              :-P

              Please remember when you upload any HTML version to include a link to the
              uploaded report so your editor doesn't have to go searching for it. I
              suggest using tinyurl.com or another variant to shrink the URL since they
              can grow quite long.

              As usual;
              EDIT: Change Me
              Edit: Think about changing me
              Comment: Everything else

              Your report is coming along very nice. Please correct the edits I have
              listed below. AFTER completing the edits, you may upload your report to the
              following directory: http://tinyurl.com/5k2l59

              AB

              _____
              Visit Corridor9
              http://www.corridor9.net
              ____________________________

              > TESTER BIOGRAPHY
              >
              > I started hiking when I was around 3 years old (with the parents, of
              > course),
              >
              > but my serious trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005.
              > Since
              >
              > then I've walked many trails in NZ (The Queen Charlotte, Milford and
              >
              > Tongariro circuit to name a few), the Vikos gorge in Northern Greece,
              > The
              >
              > Pista Altomontana Etnea in Sicily, the Laugavegur in Iceland, and many
              > trails
              >
              > in Israel. I'm an aspiring lightweight hiker, my current base pack
              > weight
              >
              > (not including food, water and fuel) is around 8Kg (18 pounds) and
              > dropping.
              >
              > I try not to go out when its warm, and use a tent and light sleeping
              EDIT: Change "its" to "it's"

              > bag
              >
              > combination.
              EDIT: The tester bio is still 9 words too long. You need to get it to 100
              words or less.

              > PRODUCT INFORMATION
              >
              > Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
              > Year of Manufacture: 2006
              > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
              EDIT: Your website link is not clickable in the HTML version. Please change
              this.

              > arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the touch.
              > Again,
              > there was no moisture inside the sacks.
              EDIT: Need you to clarify this. Do you mean that everything inside your pack
              that was not in the barrier sack was clammy to the touch; or do you mean
              that everything inside your pack, including the items in the dry sack, was
              clammy to the touch?
            • guysela
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
                Hi

                The HTML is here <http://tinyurl.com/5a42xc> ,

                and the text is pasted below. Thanks again!

                OUTDOOR RESEARCH BARRIER DRY SACK
                BY GUY SELA
                Owner Report
                August 16, 2008

                TESTER INFORMATION

                NAME: Guy Sela
                EMAIL: guysela@...
                AGE: 30
                LOCATION: Haifa, Israel
                GENDER: M
                HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
                WEIGHT: 154 lb (69.90 kg)

                I started hiking when I was 3 years old (with the parents), but my
                serious

                trekking began during a trip to New Zealand in 2005. Since then I've
                walked

                trails in NZ (Queen Charlotte, Milford and Tongariro circuit to name a
                few),

                the Vikos gorge in Northern Greece, The Pista Altomontana Etnea in
                Sicily,

                the Laugavegur in Iceland, and many trails in Israel. I'm an aspiring

                lightweight hiker, my current base pack weight (not including food,
                water and

                fuel) is 8Kg (18 pounds) and dropping. I prefer hiking in cool weather,

                #1 6.5L (398 cu in) @ 48g (1.7oz), Green
                #2 10.6L (646 cu in) @ 58g (1.7oz), Light blue
                #3 15.9L (971 cu in) @ 69g (1.7oz), Red
                #4 28.0L (1710 cu in) @ 89g (1.7oz) (I measured 88g), Yellow
                #5 37.0L (2259 cu in) @ 103g (1.7oz), Navy Blue
                #6 55.1L (3364 cu in) @ 126g (1.7oz) (I measured 125g), Earth brown

[...]

                arrived at the hut everything inside my pack that wasn't inside the dry
                sacks

                ------------------------------
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Buskov" <rescue@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                100
                > words or less.
                >
                > > PRODUCT INFORMATION
                > >
                > > Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
                > > Year of Manufacture: 2006
                > > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.outdoorresearch.com
                > EDIT: Your website link is not clickable in the HTML version. Please
                change
                > this.
                >
                > > arrived at the hut everything inside my pack was clammy to the
                touch.
                > > Again,
                > > there was no moisture inside the sacks.
                > EDIT: Need you to clarify this. Do you mean that everything inside
                your pack
                > that was not in the barrier sack was clammy to the touch; or do you
                mean
                > that everything inside your pack, including the items in the dry sack,

              • Andrew Buskov
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
                  Guy,

                  Looks very good. Thank you for including the Tinyurl, it really helps out
                  the editors a lot.

                  When your editor gives you the approval to upload your reviews to the
                  final folder, you don't need to re-upload to the Owner Review Test folder.
                  Just go ahead and upload where the editor tell you.

                  You also don't need to repost the text version back to this list after
                  this final upload. A simple message on list saying that you've uploaded
                  the final report gives the editor enough notice to check it out and make
                  sure it looks good. If problems arise, the editor will post additional
                  edits to the list for you.

                  As per my last email, go ahead and upload your final report to the correct
                  folder; http://tinyurl.com/5k2l59

                  As per above, let me know when it's uploaded and I'll check it out to make
                  sure it's all good.

                  Very good working with you.

                  AB

                  _____
                  Visit Corridor9
                  http://www.corridor9.net
                • guysela
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 9, 2008
                    Done. Here <http://tinyurl.com/6q45cc> it is.

                    I want to thank you so much for spending all this time helping me with
                    my report. It's nice to give something back. I cant wait to start on my
                    other owner reports, hopefully i'll have much more to write when I
                    return from corsica.

                    Again, thank you so much, for everything
                    Guy