OWNER REVIEW - Cabela's 3-Watt LED Flashlight

  • Brian Hartman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hello everyone,
      Here is a review of my LED flashlight.  The HTML can be found here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OWNER%20REVIEW%20-%20Cabelas%203-Watt%20LED%20flashlight/

      Cabela's 3-Watt LED Flashlight

      REPORT
      September 01, 2008

      REVIEWER INFORMATION

      NAME: Brian Hartman
      EMAIL: bhart1426@...
      AGE: 40
      LOCATION: Noblesville, Indiana
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      I have always been active outdoors but just started backpacking last year when my son joined scouting. So far, I have been backpacking throughout the Midwest as well as Glacier National Park and Yellowstone. I especially enjoy winter backpacking and the serenity of the wilderness under the cover of snow. My backpack and gear are older and weigh 35+ lbs (16 kg). This has limited the distances I have been able to cover and my enjoyment while hiking. My goal over the next several years is to replace my existing clothing and gear with more suitable and lighter weight alternatives.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Cabela's
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.cabelas.com
      MSRP: $39.99
      Listed Weight: N/A

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      Cabela's 3-watt LED flashlight is 5.5 inches (140 mm) long and is made of light weight aircraft grade aluminum. It uses a 3 watt luxeon bulb and runs on two AA batteries. It has a plastic lens and DC/DC regulated circuitry which provides consistent light output throughout the life of the battery. The flashlight has a clip-on style pocket clip and a lanyard, which is secured to the light by a plastic ring that is secured by the tailcap. The light comes in plastic packaging and includes a nylon carry pouch.

      The flashlight is turned on and off using a combination press-twist type switch. Tightening the tailcap turns the light on, while pressing in on the textured rubber button allows for momentary operation when the tailcap is unscrewed slightly. You can lockout the switch by unscrewing the tailcap approximately two turns. This will prevent accidental activation when packing the light in your backpack.

      The body of the light has a rubber "o" ring and although I didn't test its waterproofness it appears that it would withstand light rain and is described on Cabela's website as being water resistant. The flashlight has a rated output of 65 lumens.

      BACKGROUND

      I purchased this flashlight from Cabela's six months ago in an ongoing effort to reduce my pack weight. Previously, I was using a 2 C-Cell Maglite. During my research of LED versus incandescent flashlights, I learned of several other advantages that LED's offer in addition to weight savings. These include: bulb life, shock resistance, size and diffuse light beam. My decision to buy this particular light was made easier for two reasons: first, I had just received a Cabela's gift certificate for Christmas and second, this flashlight was on sale for half price. The flashlight arrived in the mail within one week of ordering it online and I immediately started using it. I keep it in our kitchen while at home and on my waist belt or in my backpack while camping.

      FIELD USE

      I have been using Cabela's 3 watt LED flashlight for six months and it is incredibly bright and the reflector produces a very nice beam. While camping in Southern Indiana I compared the LED flashlight to my brother's 2D flashlight. The LED beam easily outpowered his 2D flashlight. The LED beam was also more diffuse, providing great illumination of surrounding objects.

      The flashlight is easy to carry and operate due to its small size and body styling and with the lanyard attached there is no drop risk. The light is also extremely sturdy and although I have not dropped it, I doubt it would do more than scratch the finish unless a rock hit the lens directly.

      There is a push button on back of the flashlight with a rubber cap that protrudes slightly for momentary on/off control. I can easily operate the push button with one hand although it requires two hands in order to twist the light to the ON position. The flashlight works fine in the "continuous on" mode as well as in the "push and hold" mode. However, I feel it would be nicer if it had a two or three position switch. With the current twist design I never know how far to unscrew the tail cap to ensure that in will not inadvertently turn on when in my pocket. Consequently I unscrew it until it is almost ready to come off the body, which is inconvenient because you have to unscrew the tailcap quite a ways to disable the light.

      I have not tried this flashlight in rain so I cannot verify its weather resistance. I have found that the light output remains constant throughout the battery life which is approximately 1.5 hrs using alkaline batteries.

      SUMMARY

      Cabela's 3-watt LED flashlight is a small, well-made flashlight with a powerful beam. It is super bright and has decent runtime. It would be nice if it had a low beam setting as it is simply too bright for up close work. The lanyard and carrying pouch are nice additions and I use them a regular basis. This was a great replacement for my 2C flashlight in terms of size and weight savings and at half price it was a bargin.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Water resistant
      Tough / impact resistant
      Bright
      Easy battery change
      Lightweight
      Steady light output
      Nice beam dispersion

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Too bright for close-up use
      Twist cap requires two hand operation
      Untwisting tailcap to turn off light may affect water resistance

      SIGNATURE

      Brian Hartman
      bhart1426@...

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager