OR - Clif Mojo Bars - Ray Estrella

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
      Hello hard working editors. Here is another OR for your red pen. Alas
      it is not for the call. I just do not go camping very often and when
      I do it is all backpacking gear anyway. (My car camping tent is a REI
      BaseCamp 6 four-season bomb-proof dome.) Oh well, I have a few BPs
      already…

      The HTML may be found here;

      http://tinyurl.com/5a4scv

      Thanks,

      Ray

      Clif Mojo Bars
      By Raymond Estrella

      OWNER REVIEW
      August 04, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Raymond Estrella
      EMAIL: rayestrellaAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Orange County, California, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and
      in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and
      average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to
      lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike
      hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a
      freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I
      am usually with my wife Jenn or brother-in-law Dave.

      The Product

      Manufacturer: Clif Bar & Company
      Web site: www.clifbar.com
      Product: Mojo Bars
      Year manufactured: 2008
      MSRP: N/A
      Size: 2 x 5 x 3/8 in (51 x 157 x 8 mm)
      Weight listed, all flavors: 1.59 oz (45 g)
      Actual weight: 1.59 - 1.8 oz (45 - 51 g)
      Flavors reviewed: Honey Roasted Peanut, Mountain Mix, Mixed Nuts and
      Peanut Butter Pretzel
      Other flavor available: Fruit Nut Crunch

      Product Description

      The Clf Mojo bars are one of the newest offerings from Clif. They
      call them "the sweet and salty trail mix bar".

      The bars all have a lot of nuts in them and look like nut brittle.
      They all fall in the 200 calorie range with a pretty decent ratio of
      fats-to-carbs-to-protein. They average 25% fats, 50% carbs, and 25%
      protein. To me this ratio allows them to be used over a wide range of
      my hiking day, either to eat on the trail as meals, or in camp later
      for carb replacement.

      The bars have no trans fats and, of great interest to me, no
      processed sugars. They instead rely on organic rice syrup for
      sweetness. Speaking of organic, Clif claims that 70% of all the
      ingredients in the Mojo bars are organic. I like that as my normal
      bars are 100% organic.

      The potassium levels are pretty good, averaging 210 g per bar, or
      about equal to half a medium sized banana.

      While Clif describes them as salty they are not heavy on the sodium
      levels. At an average of 210 mg per bar they are equal to or lower
      than many other bars on the market.

      They come packaged in a mylar-type wrapper. They are fairly easy to
      open by tearing along the flap that joins the wrapper together. The
      bars are not hard, but have some give to them. In hot weather they
      soften even more. All the bars are sticky. They like to stick to the
      wrapper a bit, and to my fingers a lot. Once opened the bar looks
      like brittle with all the ingredients on display. Here is a picture
      of the Mountain Mix flavor.

      Field Data

      I ate these bars on four trips in the beginning of summer. I first
      purchased 10 bars, and then went back to the store twice for more. I
      ended up buying 17 bars.

      The first was a 25 mi (40 km) day-hike on the Pacific Crest Trail
      (PCT) at the south border of San Gorgonio Wilderness. The temperature
      got up to 86 F (30 C).

      The next was a two-day 30 mi (48 km) trip just north of the previous
      hike. The temps ranged from 57 to 86 F (14 to 30 C).

      Then came a two-day trip with Jenn to Limber Pine Bench in the San
      Gorgonio Wilderness. The temps were from 67 F to 40 F (20 to 4 C).

      Last was a monster of a day-hike that saw us put in 42.5 miles (68
      km) on the PCT with 8600 ft (2621 m) of elevation gain in temps that
      reached 80 F (27 C).

      Observations

      I bought the Clif Mojo bars when my local store started carrying the
      new product. The thought of a slightly sweet and salty bar appealed
      to me as I love nuts and do not like heavy sweets. They seemed like
      they might work well on the hot sections of the PCT I had planned so
      I bought all the flavors available to me to try them out. (I have
      never been able to find the Fruit flavor.)

      One of the things I really liked right off the bat was the texture. I
      like crunchy stuff. Between the nuts, seeds, soy nuts and soy rice
      crisps these bars are very crunchy.

      One thing I did not care for right away was the stickiness of them.
      As I was hiking in areas with little (some times no) water along the
      trail it is a bummer to get sticky hands with nothing to wash them
      with. I learned quickly to keep the bar in the wrapper while eating
      it. And once finished, I carefully fold the wrapper back over itself
      to keep the residual rice syrup that is on the inside of the wrapper
      from getting spread around my pocket or pack.

      The Mixed Nuts flavor was my favorite. I could really taste the
      almonds and cashews. I ended up buying this flavor the most when I
      went back for more.

      The Mountain Mix is very good too. It is just like eating a bar made
      out of the gorp I used to make and carry on every trip in the 70s and
      80s.

      My second favorite (and my wife's number one) is the Peanut Butter
      Pretzel that is made with peanut butter filled pretzel pieces
      scattered throughout the bar.

      My least favorite was the Honey Roasted Peanut flavor. For some
      reason it just comes across as much sweeter than all the other
      flavors and I found it to be too sweet for me. But please note that I
      am notorious for not having a sweet tooth. I gave one of this flavor
      away to a PCT through-hiker I met on the trail, and he thought it was
      just great. (Hello Isaac)

      They seem to fill me up and leave me feeling satisfied. I would plan
      to eat two per meal, but not both at the same time. So if I was
      having the Mojo for lunch I would eat one at 11:00 AM and then the
      second one around 1:00 PM. Breakfast with the Mojos was handled the
      same way, an hour or two apart.

      I like the Mojo bars enough to keep a few of them in the drawer that
      I store hiking food in so that I can add them to my normal selection.
      They make a nice crunchy addition, but only one or two per trip now.
      I do like them better than any of Clif's other bar products.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
        are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
        Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
        All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
        timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

        Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
        submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
        the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
        the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
        the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
        yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
          No car camping with two kids???? Why Ray, I'm shocked!! :)

          jamie

          <rayestrella@...> wrote:

          > Hello hard working editors. Here is another OR for your red pen.
          Alas
          > it is not for the call. I just do not go camping very often and when
          > I do it is all backpacking gear anyway. (My car camping tent is a
          REI
          > BaseCamp 6 four-season bomb-proof dome.) Oh well, I have a few BPs
          > already…
        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie D." <jdeben@...> wrote:

            > No car camping with two kids???? Why Ray, I'm shocked!! :)

            Oh yeah, we camp. I just tend to use backpacking gear instead
            of "camping gear". I do have a big propane stove but the kids never
            want things that need the two burners so in MN I just use an MSR
            WindPro. Instead of a house-style camping tent I use the 4-season dome.
            Instead of air mattresses we use hiking pads. I am going to write some
            kid reviews this fall after we get done with our summer hiking trips.
            Next week we are going backpacking at Maplewood State Park.

            Ray
          • pamwyant
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008
              EDIT: Clif Mojo bars OR - Ray

              Nice Report Ray. Good use of photos too. Editing this report made
              me hungry! It sounds like I would like these bars too – I'll have to
              try to find some & check them out.

              I have only 3 minor things for you. When you're ready upload to:

              http://tinyurl.com/6msufy

              Pam

              > The Clf Mojo bars are one of the newest offerings from Clif.

              ### EDIT: Missed the `i' in the first "Clif"

              > They come packaged in a mylar-type wrapper.

              ### Edit: I believe Mylar should be capitalized.

              > The first was a 25 mi (40 km) day-hike on the Pacific Crest Trail
              > (PCT) at the south border of San Gorgonio Wilderness. The
              temperature
              > got up to 86 F (30 C).

              ### Comment: You might write the first *trip*

              Thanks for yet another great review.
            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
                Hi Pam,

                Thank you very much for the edits. All have been taken care of, test
                deleted and review uploaded.

                See you next time.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
                  I figured as much. Just giving you grief anyway. We do alot of that
                  backpacking gear carry over too, especially when it's just me and my
                  kids. There still little and not much help in the lugging department
                  so I keep it simple. :)

                  Have fun on your trip.
                  Jamie