OR How To Sh*t In The Woods Jenn E.

  • JennE
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21 3:16 PM
      Here is an OR for this month's call.

      The HTML can be found here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%
      20How%20to%20poop%20in%20the%20woods%20Jenn%20E/

      Or

      http://tinyurl.com/6lwjp3

      How To Shit In The Woods 2nd Edition Revised

      A Ten Speed Press Book

      Author: Kathleen Meyer

      Owner Review by Jennifer Estrella

      July 11, 2008

      Personal Information

      Name: Jennifer Estrella
      Age: 33
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: jennksnowy at yahoo dot com
      City, State, and Country: Orange County, California, United States

      Backpacking Background

      After getting into the outdoors scene camping while 4-wheeling and
      day-hiking, I switched to backpacking in the early 2000's. I have
      backpacked extensively in Utah, Wyoming and Idaho along with
      California, Pennsylvania and Nevada. I have slowly been cutting my
      base weight to be able to go longer in both duration and distance. I
      have done so mainly by using better gear and dumping heavy luxuries.
      (I also married a sherpa to help.) I backpack year round in all
      weather, and usually take a free standing tent and a gas stove on
      all my trips. I love trying out new gear.

      Product Information

      Book Title : How To Shit In the Woods: An Environmentally Sound
      Approach to a Lost Art 2nd Edition Revised
      Format: Paperback
      Author: Kathleen Meyer
      Publisher: Ten Speed Press
      Year: August 1994
      First Publication Year: 1989
      Pages: 107
      ISBN-10: 0898156270
      ISBN-13: 978-0898156270
      Web Site: www.tenspeed.com
      MSRP: $9.95 USD; $10.95 Canada Price

      Listed Dimensions: 5 x 8 x 3/8 in (13 cm x 20 cm x 1 cm)
      Actual Dimensions: 5 x 8.25 x 3/8 in (13 cm x 21 cm x 1 cm)
      Weight Listed: None listed on website
      Actual Weight : 5.65 oz (160 g)

      Kathleen Meyer is a former river guide that published the first
      edition of How to Shit in the Woods in 1989. The author has
      published a second edition in 1994 with updated information on how
      to deal with waste, individual trekkers, water disinfecting systems,
      clothing for women, water viruses/micro-organisms, and more
      hilarious stories.

      Contents

      Chapter 1: Anatomy of a Crap

      Chapter 2: Digging the Hole

      Chapter 3: When You Can't Dig a Hole

      Chapter 4: Plight of the Solo Poop Packer

      Chapter 5: Trekker's Trots

      Chapter 6 For Women Only: How Not To Pee in Your Boots

      Chapter 7: What? No T.P? or Doing Without

      About The Book

      I never did think I would contemplate my personal human waste while
      reading a book or even read a book in regards to such a topic. This
      is not a dinner table topic for discussion and often times it is
      awkward to talk about such a subject. A friend a few years ago
      suggested that I read this book for a light and funny read. This was
      in the beginning of my backpacking days. I think they just wanted me
      to get out more.

      While backpacking I tend not to think about what I am going to do
      with my waste. When nature calls I just deal with it in a manner
      that does not impact the environment as much as I can.

      After reading this book I came up with some new ideas and techniques
      that I implemented on my future trips to the backcountry. It is a
      very enjoyable, light, and funny read. It only takes a few hours to
      read the book cover to cover.

      In the first chapter "Anatomy of a Crap" the inventions of Thomas
      Crapper are discussed. He was an English plumber that had quite a
      few sanitation inventions. He created the water waster preventer,
      the silencer, and the pear-shaped toilet seat. In this chapter the
      author shares stories of people going to relive themselves in the
      wilderness. Clothing management, positioning, and technique are
      discussed. The stories are comical in nature and makes you really
      think about the next time you have to relieve yourself.

      The second chapter "Digging the Hole" discusses how to dig the cat
      hole, waste hole or whatever one wants to call it. Some thought
      should go into where one should dig the hole. There is also
      important information on water filtration in the backcountry,
      Giardia, and Crytosporidium.

      In chapter three "When You Can't Dig a Hole" has some funny tales
      and ideas of what to do when digging the hole is impossible. Rock
      climbers, mountaineers, river guides, and some hikers can not dig a
      hole because of the surroundings they are traveling in, or the
      climate. As one can not dig a hole on a rock face, they must pack
      out the waste. There are some ideas in this chapter of how to pack
      out the waste, how to deal with it after the trip, and other
      alternatives such as wilderness toilets.

      Chapter four is "Flight of the Solo Poop Packer". In this chapter
      the author discusses how the solo outdoor person (hiker, rock
      climber. etc.) can deal with their waste. The author discusses the
      poop tube, smearing techniques, travel above timberline, pooping in
      the snow, and solar composting toilets. She also discusses carrying
      ones own biodegrader (beetles, earthworms, or bacteria) that
      neutralize the odor and turn excrement into earth. Yuck!

      "Trekkers Trots" is chapter five. This chapter discusses how to deal
      with the "runs". It talks mostly about prevention with safe sanitary
      practices in the backcountry. Water filtration is discussed again in
      this chapter with an emphasis on the products that are available.
      How to set up a washing system before food prep and eating is also
      discussed in this chapter as prevention of backcountry illness.

      Chapter six is " For Women Only: How Not to Pee in Your Boots". This
      chapter gives ideas (such as clothing to be worn) and techniques on
      how to perfect peeing in the woods . The author also touches on how
      to deal with menstruation and devices that are available to make
      this a more pleasant backcountry experience.

      The last chapter in the book is " What? No T.P.? Or Doing Without".
      This chapter gives some ideas of what can be used or techniques if
      one does not have toilet paper in the wilderness. Watch out for the
      poisonous leaves!

      Things That Rock

      Very funny

      Light reading

      Good for a new backpacker

      Things That Are So So

      Some of the water filtration information seems redundant

      Prices of the suggested retail items are outdated or the items no
      longer exist for purchase

      Summary

      This book is an enjoyable, comical read for new/veteran backpackers
      or those that just like to get outdoor and need to get rid of their
      waste. I think the author did an excellent job making this topic
      light and humorous.
    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21 4:16 PM
        You Americans think of everything<g>

        Who would have thought about how to make money out of human waste by writing
        about it, Gads.

        It looks like a good read though.

        Ralph

        _____

        http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/6lwjp3> com/6lwjp3

        Author: Kathleen Meyer

        Owner Review by Jennifer Estrella

        July 11, 2008

        Personal Information

        Name: Jennifer Estrella
        Age: 33
        Gender: Female
        Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
        Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
        Email address: jennksnowy at yahoo dot com
        City, State, and Country: Orange County, California, United States

      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21 4:40 PM
          It's actually quite a classic. I was hoping someone would review it
          when I made this call.

          Heck, there's several books on roadkill, while on the subject of the
          somewhat disgusting, including one (long out of print) illustrated
          private press book that sells for hundreds of dollars...

          On the subject of which, you do have "Cane Toads," both the animal,
          the book, the movie...and the roadkill.

          Ted

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton"
          <rdassetts@...> wrote:

          > You Americans think of everything<g>
          >
          > Who would have thought about how to make money out of human waste by
          writing
          > about it, Gads.
          >
          > It looks like a good read though.
          >

          > Ralph

        • Ralph Ditton
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21 4:50 PM
            Can't say that I have seen the movie or book. Seen plenty of road kill when
            I lived in Innisfail in North Queensland. We used to play cricket with the
            cane toads. They make a great ball.

            You definitely can not eat them as they are poisonous as our native wildlife
            find out.

            Ralph

            _____

            --- In BackpackGearTest@ <mailto:BackpackGearTest%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 22 12:54 AM

              Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
              are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
              Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
              manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
              All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
              timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

              Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
              submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
              applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
              the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
              the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.

              Moderator.

              will use APPROVED in the subject line.

              If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
              the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
              yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

              the list or contact me directly.

              Edit Administration Manager