OR - Lowe Alpine Beartooth 45 Pack- Elizabeth Davis

  • Elizabeth Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2008
      Here is the HTML link:

      http://http://tiny.cc/w9Fzi

      Thanks in advance for the edits

      LOWE ALPINE BEARTOOTH 45
      by ELIZABETH DAVIS
      OWNER REVIEW
      July 6, 2008

      TESTER BIO
      Name: Elizabeth Davis
      Age: 18
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 4 in ( 1.63 m)
      Weight: 125 lb (57 kg)
      Email address: elizrd AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country: Knoxville, Tennessee, USA

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking occasionally since I
      was about eleven. During the last two years I have been hiking and
      backpacking every chance I get. I hike about twice a month, and more
      on holidays. I usually go on short backpacking trips of about
      two/three days and I enjoy wet, rugged conditions. I'd like to stay
      out longer in the future. My pack is usually fairly lightweight. Most
      of my trips are in the Southern Appalachians where temperatures range
      from 80 F (27 C) to 0 F (-18 C).

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Lowe Alpine
      Year of Manufacture: 2000/2001? (however, it is still manufactured today)
      Manufacturer's Website: www.lowealpine.com
      MSRP: $139.95
      Measured Weight: 4.5 lbs (2.04 kg)
      note on weight: the new model on the website claims to be 3 lb 13 oz
      (1.73 kg). Since mine is an older model, I can't prove or disprove
      this claim.
      Product Description: The Beartooth 45 is a 45 L (2746 cu in)
      backpacking pack featuring Lowe Alpine's Air Cooled back system and
      Torso Fit system. My pack is a pleasant shade of green. It is a
      standard top loading pack with side pockets and a sleeping bag
      compartment. It has adjustable shoulder straps, a sternum strap, a
      padded waistbelt, water bottle pockets, and internal and an external
      lid pocket, a drawcord main bag closure, compression straps, and
      various loops whose purposes I have yet to figure out.

      FIELD LOCATION/REVIEW

      I have used this pack about 25 times over the last six years. The
      trips have all been for three days (two nights) or less, but the
      weather conditions weight I carried in each trip have varied
      drastically. I have used this pack in 90 F (50 C) heat in the Big
      South Fork located in middle Tennessee. I have also used this pack in
      0 F (-18C) temperatures in Pisgah National Forest, and the Great Smoky
      Mountains. I have carried up to 50 lb (22.68 kg) in this pack for
      family camping trips. Despite the weight and overstuffing the pack has
      withstood wear and tear quite well. There are no tears in the fabric
      and only one buckle has broken after six years of use. I contacted the
      manufacturer about the buckle and they were very friendly and prompt.
      They sent me an order form and instructions for repair from a company
      in Colorado. The repair would have been very inexpensive (only about
      $3.00), but I didn't want to pay shipping for my pack to Colorado.
      Currently, I am resorting to duct tape. Otherwise, the zippers,
      buckles, draw cord, and fabric are in great condition. This pack is
      not remotely waterproof; it is made of nylon packcloth so I cover it
      in the rain. One minor complaint I have about this pack is that it has
      no sleeping pad straps (or loops in a helpful location for attaching
      straps) on the lower outside of the sleeping bag compartment. This
      means that extra items have to be attached to the top of the pack,
      which can be awkward.

      Specific features of the pack include:

      Sleeping bag compartment: The compartment is small, but works well. I
      usually unzip the divider to gain extra space in the pack.

      Side Pockets: The side pockets are surprisingly expansive - I can
      usually fit two 2 L water bottles in each one.

      Water Bottle pockets: These are rather annoying and small. They are on
      the outside of the side pockets, and are made of a non-stretchy
      material. Unless I use a very small water bottle it is impossible to
      use them. Sometimes when I put a water bottle in them it falls out
      anyway because they are only about 4 in (10.16 cm) tall.

      Top Compartment: The top compartment is excellent, except for the fact
      that it is sewn onto the main compartment. This means that I don't
      have the ability to extend the straps and attach extra things under
      the lid, or to do that clever fanny pack conversion seen in so many
      packs.

      Zippers: I like the zippers. They have a helpful sticky texture for
      grip, and are orange so that I can find them easily.

      Waistbelt: The waistbelt is incredibly comfortable, even though it is
      not heavily padded. It has about half an inch (about 1 cm) of padding.
      It rides well on the hips.

      Torso Fit System: The torso fit system works pretty well to adjust
      for backs 16 in (40.64 cm) to 21 in (53 cm). I have never had problems
      with it slipping out of adjustment. I have a fairly long back for my
      height (19.5 in / 50 cm), and it fits me well. The adjustment is easy
      to use and color coded so I didn't need an instruction manual or a
      degree in engineering to figure it out. The adjustment system employs
      buckles hold webbing straps in place. By tightening or releasing the
      webbing, and shoving the shoulder straps around a bit, I can vary the
      back length.

      Air Vent System: Instead of a solid lumbar pad type back padding, the
      pack has to squishy mesh pads which ride on either side of the spine.
      In between the pads is a vented mesh area which theoretically provides
      air circulation. This works fairly well, considering that I'm usually
      hauling it up a hill and sweating a lot, but it doesn't really stop
      my shirt from sticking to my back. Compared to packs I have used which
      had a solid lumbar pads, this pack has more air circulation.

      THINGS I LIKE:
      Adjusts easily
      Compact
      Sturdy
      Comfortable shoulder straps, hip belt, and Air Zone vent

      THINGS I DON"T LIKE
      Water bottle pockets are not very big
      Top pocket is sewn onto the body of the bag
      No sleeping pad straps/loops
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2008
          Dear Elizabeth,

          This is an excellent first effort, especially given that you have
          chosen a pack, one of the harder items to evaluate. (FWIW, my first OR
          was a pack also). Your edits follow.

          Please take a careful look at your spacing. You do have a number of
          extra spaces thrown in higgledy-piggledy in the HTML version.

          Anyhow, please revise as indicated (with HTML version) and I'll giv it
          a further look-over.

          Best,

          Ted

          Editor/edit mod

          > Here is the HTML link:
          >
          > http://http://tiny.cc/w9Fzi
          >
          > Thanks in advance for the edits
          >

          > LOWE ALPINE BEARTOOTH 45

          ### EDIT: Append "PACK" after "45"

          > by ELIZABETH DAVIS
          > OWNER REVIEW
          > July 6, 2008
          >
          > TESTER BIO
          > Name: Elizabeth Davis
          > Age: 18
          > Gender: Female
          > Height: 5 ft 4 in ( 1.63 m)
          > Weight: 125 lb (57 kg)
          > Email address: elizrd AT gmail DOT com
          > City, State, Country: Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
          >
          > Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking occasionally since I
          > was about eleven. During the last two years I have been hiking and
          > backpacking every chance I get. I hike about twice a month, and more
          > on holidays. I usually go on short backpacking trips of about
          > two/three days and I enjoy wet, rugged conditions. I'd like to stay
          > out longer in the future. My pack is usually fairly lightweight. Most
          > of my trips are in the Southern Appalachians where temperatures range
          > from 80 F (27 C) to 0 F (-18 C).
          >
          > Product Information
          > Manufacturer: Lowe Alpine
          > Year of Manufacture: 2000/2001? (however, it is still manufactured
          today)

          ### EDIT: I think you can omit the portion in parenthesis, given your
          statement below about the new model

          > Manufacturer's Website: www.lowealpine.com
          > MSRP: $139.95

          ### EDIT: US$130.95

          to avoid confusion with Canadian or other dollars
          > Measured Weight: 4.5 lbs (2.04 kg)
          > note on weight: the new model on the website claims to be 3 lb 13 oz
          > (1.73 kg). Since mine is an older model, I can't prove or disprove
          > this claim.

          > Product Description: The Beartooth 45 is a 45 L (2746 cu in)

          ### EDIT: Round this to (2750 cu in)

          > backpacking pack featuring Lowe Alpine's Air Cooled back system and
          > Torso Fit system. My pack is a pleasant shade of green. It is a
          > standard top loading pack with side pockets and a sleeping bag
          > compartment. It has adjustable shoulder straps, a sternum strap, a
          > padded waistbelt, water bottle pockets, and internal and an external
          > lid pocket, a drawcord main bag closure, compression straps, and
          > various loops whose purposes I have yet to figure out.

          > FIELD LOCATION/REVIEW
          >
          > I have used this pack about 25 times over the last six years. The
          > trips have all been for three days (two nights) or less, but the
          > weather conditions weight

          ### EDIT: weight? Should this be "and weight" or has a line been
          omitted here?

          I carried in

          ### EDIT: on

          each trip have varied
          > drastically. I have used this pack in 90 F (50 C) heat in the Big
          > South Fork located in middle Tennessee. I have also used this pack in
          > 0 F (-18C) temperatures in Pisgah National Forest, and the Great Smoky
          > Mountains. I have carried up to 50 lb (22.68 kg)

          ### EDIT: round to (23 kg)

          in this pack for
          > family camping trips. Despite the weight and overstuffing the pack has
          > withstood wear and tear quite well. There are no tears in the fabric
          > and only one buckle has broken after six years of use. I contacted the
          > manufacturer about the buckle and they were very friendly and prompt.
          > They sent me an order form and instructions for repair from a company
          > in Colorado. The repair would have been very inexpensive (only about
          > $3.00), but I didn't want to pay shipping for my pack to Colorado.
          > Currently, I am resorting to duct tape. Otherwise, the zippers,
          > buckles, draw cord, and fabric are in great condition. This pack is
          > not remotely waterproof; it is made of nylon packcloth so I cover it
          > in the rain. One minor complaint I have about this pack is that it has
          > no sleeping pad straps (or loops in a helpful location for attaching
          > straps) on the lower outside of the sleeping bag compartment. This
          > means that extra items have to be attached to the top of the pack,
          > which can be awkward.
          >
          > Specific features of the pack include:
          >
          > Sleeping bag compartment: The compartment is small, but works well. I
          > usually unzip the divider to gain extra space in the pack.
          >
          > Side Pockets: The side pockets are surprisingly expansive - I can
          > usually fit two 2 L water bottles in each one.
          >
          > Water Bottle pockets: These are rather annoying and small. They are on
          > the outside of the side pockets, and are made of a non-stretchy
          > material. Unless I use a very small water bottle it is impossible to
          > use them. Sometimes when I put a water bottle in them it falls out
          > anyway because they are only about 4 in (10.16 cm)

          ### EDIT (10 cm)

          tall.

          > Top Compartment: The top compartment is excellent, except for the fact
          > that it is sewn onto the main compartment. This means that I don't
          > have the ability to extend the straps and attach extra things under
          > the lid, or to do that clever fanny pack conversion seen in so many
          > packs.
          >
          > Zippers: I like the zippers. They have a helpful sticky texture for
          > grip, and are orange so that I can find them easily.
          >
          > Waistbelt: The waistbelt is incredibly comfortable, even though it is
          > not heavily padded. It has about half an inch (about 1 cm) of padding.
          > It rides well on the hips.
          >
          > Torso Fit System: The torso fit system works pretty well to adjust
          > for backs 16 in (40.64 cm)

          ### EDIT (41 cm)

          to 21 in (53 cm). I have never had problems
          > with it slipping out of adjustment. I have a fairly long back for my
          > height (19.5 in / 50 cm), and it fits me well. The adjustment is easy
          > to use and color coded so I didn't need an instruction manual or a
          > degree in engineering to figure it out. The adjustment system employs
          > buckles hold webbing straps in place. By tightening or releasing the
          > webbing, and shoving the shoulder straps around a bit, I can vary the
          > back length.
          >
          > Air Vent System: Instead of a solid lumbar pad type back padding, the
          > pack has to

          ### EDIT: two