OR: MSR Hubba Solo Tent - Aldo Fernandez

  • adfman1986
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3 2:27 PM
      MSR HUBBA
      BY ALDO FERNANDEZ
      OR
      July 03, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Aldo Fernandez
      EMAIL: adfman1986@...
      AGE: 22
      LOCATION: Long Beach, California, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 230 lb (104.00 kg)
      BACKPACKING STYLE: Semi-Ultralight
      SHOE SIZE: 13 (Mens US)

      I've been Backpacking and Hiking very actively (weekend trips at least
      bimonthly) since July of the year 2007. Shortly after begining my new
      lifestyle as a Backpacker/Hiker I enrolled in a Backpacking class at a
      local college to help me become more knowledgable and a better steward
      for our environment. I am an all weather backpacker so you may find me
      on the trail rain or shine. I also classify myself as a
      semi-ultralight to semi-comfort camper; this is to say that much of my
      personal gear was selected for weight savings but with a mild
      consideration for a certain level of comfort as well. My longest trek
      to date was from Tenaya Lake in Yosemite National Park down to
      Yosemite Valley with a day hike to Half Dome along the way. Our group
      of backpackers took four days and three nights for this trip through
      Yosemite National Park.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: MSR
      "http://msrgear.com/tents/hubba.asp" LINK TEXT = "MSR Hubba
      manufacturer's website">>www.msrgear.com
      MSRP: US$249.95
      Listed Weights (from MSR product website):
      Minimum Weight: 2 lbs. 12 oz. (1.3 kg)
      Packaged Weight: 3 lbs. 3 oz. (1.5 kg)
      Fly w/ FootPrint Weight: 2 lbs. (0.9 kg)
      Other details: The MSR Hubba is a freestanding solo tent

      FIELD USE

      I've used this tent for a total of 20 nights so far in Yosemite
      National Park and throughout the Angeles National Forest and it has
      proven to be a very reliable and cozy shelter. This tent has sheltered
      me on very cold nights at near freezing temeratures of 34 degrees
      Fahrenheit (1.11 Celsius). Being a three season tent the MSR Hubba
      does not retain heat very well in cold weather. The inside
      temperatures for this tent were only ever slightly warmer than those
      of the outside tempuratures unless I left the tent sitting in the sun
      to collect heat in which case it became much hotter inside the tent. I
      have never been out in the rain with this tent so I put it to a five
      minute garden hose test to determine if there were any notable seam
      leaks in the rainfly. The rainfly proved to be very waterproof and I
      could not locate any leaks through the rainfly fabric or on any of the
      seams. The inside of the tent stayed completely dry through this test.

      The vestuble is large enough to store and protect my 4272 cu in (70 L)
      pack from the rain.

      My MSR hubba tent has only been staked out on soft dirt. But I have
      also left this tent freestanding on a small-pebble riverbed with
      rocks tied to each corner and it held up just fine in moderate winds
      of 10 mph (16.1 kmph).

      After familiarizing myself with the tent I timed how long it took for
      me to set up the tent in soft soil with little-to-no wind blowing. The
      total time for setup of this tent with footprint, tent body, pole set,
      rainfly, and stakes took approximately 3.5 minutes. Very fast for a
      shelter that offers this level of protection from the elements.

      When fully staked out this tent body and rainfly stays very taught
      and neat. The floor of the tent stays spread out flat thanks to the
      rectangular floor design and tent pole grommets at each corner of the
      tent.

      SUMMARY

      The MSR hubba is a relativey light freestanding solo tent that is
      definately a contender among tents in it's class. The tent designer
      makes use of newer structural technology by incorporating a
      single-pole design for easy setup and increased weight savings while
      maintaining strength and ridgidity. Attention to detail is evident in
      the design of this tent including two interior pockets for storing
      essentials and a decend sized vestibule for protecting gear from the
      elements. The consideration for comfort is also not overlooked; this
      tent offers the occupant 40 inches (102 cm) of height from the floor
      to the peak of the ceiling. Plenty of room for a large man like myself
      to sit up and change clothes in.

      THINGS I LIKE

      -Aluminum single pole design
      -360 degree view through mesh walls with rainfly removed
      -Freestanding
      -Fly+footprint setup option for lighter shelter
      -Bold colors and reflective guylines help to spot the tent during the
      day or at night
      -Tent body, rainfly, and footprint can be packed in a compression sack
      to increase available pack space
      -High ceiling

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      -Low bathtub and high cleareance beneath rainfly allows dust to blow
      into the tent in high winds
      -Entry zipper on tent body snaggs a bit on the turn of the door
      -No ceiling ventilation
      -Bugs are attracted to the bright colors of the tent

      SIGNATURE

      Aldo Fernandez

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4 1:03 PM

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.