OR: Maui Jim Ho'Okipa Sunglasses -- Greg M

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
      Hey Jamie and Mystery Editor!

      I had another OR in me this month for the June OR Call, so here's to
      another hopeful Brownie Point. Of course, Ray had to go and upstage
      me AGAIN when he did one on these same glasses a few months back.
      Here's my effort, so for your editing plesaure...

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%
      20Maui%20Jim%20HoOkipa%20Sunglasses/
      -- OR the Tiny Version --
      http://tinyurl.com/54auwb

      And of course the text as follows. Thanks, looking forward to the
      edits!

      ____________________________

      MAUI JIM HO'OKIPA SUNGLASSES
      BY GREG MCDONALD
      OR
      June 28, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Greg McDonald
      EMAIL: gdm320 AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 21
      LOCATION: Boynton Beach, Florida
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
      WEIGHT: 225 lb (102.00 kg)

      I have been camping for 15 years, 11 of them have been spent hiking
      in the backcountry. My hikes are almost exclusively in Florida and
      generally range between one and three nights. My all-time favorite
      hike was a 10 day expedition in the Philmont Scout Ranch in
      Cimmaron, New Mexico. I consider myself a lightweight but
      comfortably equipped hiker, with a pack averaging between 25 and 30
      lb (11 and 14 kg).

      Product Information

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Photo Courtesy of Maui Jim" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "Maui Jim Ho'Okipa Sunglasses">>
      Manufacturer: Maui Jim
      "http://www.mauijim.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.mauijim.com">>
      MSRP: US $159.00
      Measured Weight: 0.6 oz (18 g)
      Frame Color: Gloss Black (Also available in Tortoise)
      Frame Material: Grilamid
      Lens Color/Hue: Neutral Grey (Also available in Maui Rose and HCL
      Bronze)
      Lens Material: Clearshell coated polycarbonate
      Polarized?: Yes
      Prescription Available?: Yes
      Recommended for round, oval, pear, or diamond face shapes.

      Description and Features

      The Maui Jim Ho'Okipa sunglasses are a very lightweight and
      extremely durable pair of glasses from Maui Jim's "MJ Sport" line.

      The glasses have impact resistant polycarbonate lenses, mine are the
      Neutral Grey color but they are also available in Maui Rose and HCL
      Bronze. To increase durability the inner and outer sides of the
      lenses are coated with Clearshell, a Maui Jim proprietary scratch
      resistant silicon-based hard shell coating to protect the lenses
      from both major and micro scratches.

      The lenses also sport Maui Jim's Polarized Plus 2 treatment, which
      blocks 100% of UVA, UVB, and UVC light up to 400 nm. According to
      Maui Jim, the polarization filter and bi-gradient mirror filters out
      99.9% of direct and reflected glare. The inside of the lenses have
      MJ's Anti-Reflection treatment which absorbs what is called bounce
      back glare, which is glare that comes in from from the sides or from
      behind the wearer.

      The frames made of the extremely flexible, durable, and lightweight
      Maui Jim proprietary material Grilamid. The nose cushions are
      contoured and rubberized. The Ho'Okipas are semi-rimless, with a
      narrow frame running across the top on the back side of the lenses
      with a thin nose bridge. The arms are of the hinged variety, and
      taper from thick on the ends and narrow in the middle. The thickest
      ends are the tips that run behind the ears, where there are rubber
      grips similar to the nose cushions to prevent slipping.

      Field Use

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "The Ho'Okipa's doing their job.">>
      I have owned Maui Jim Ho'Okipa sunglasses since 2003, the current
      pair since 2006. I never leave home without them, so over the last 5
      years I would estimate that I have used these sunglasses for over
      1,500 days and have spent thousands of hours wearing them. They were
      with me while my friends and I backpacked through Europe for a month
      after graduation and have seen use in over a dozen countries across
      two continents.

      These glasses always accompany me on the trail, so they have seen
      extensive use on the Florida Trail over the years. My glasses have
      been subjected to the rough and tumble of the outdoors including
      torrential rain, howling wind, and of course the blinding Florida
      sun.

      Not only do I use the Ho'Okipas on the trail, but I use them in my
      daily life as well. I go boating at least once, usually twice, a
      month and my MJs are always there. I generally wear them for about
      an hour per day in the car while commuting, and another hour or so
      outside walking my dog. On occasions when I get to go trap or target
      shooting outdoors, these glasses serve as my shooting goggles as
      well. If I'm outside, it's a safe bet I'm wearing my sunglasses.

      Experiences, Opinions, and Observations

      My initial thought when I picked up a pair of the Ho'Okipas in a
      boat show all those years ago was how amazingly light they were.
      This is one of my favorite things about these glasses, they are so
      light both in hand and on my face that I flat out forget that I am
      wearing them. I can't count the number of times that this has
      happened to me, and I couldn't be happier about it. But make no
      mistake about it, from all my years of use I do not see that Maui
      Jim has sacrificed performance or durability in any way to make the
      glasses as light as they are.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Don't worry, they won't break."
      IMAGE CAPTION = "Frames bent to a 90 degree angle.">>
      The second thing that really struck me is the flexibility of the
      frames. I had a person demonstrating them to me at the boat show,
      and the way that he was bending the frames and flexing them all over
      the place made me cringe in fear they would explode into their basic
      elements from the stress. Amazingly, they never have - even after
      all the punishment I have subjected them to. They've been dropped,
      stepped on, sat on - you name it. The have never relented, which is
      fantastic. Even the lenses have held up extremely well, the only
      visible scratch I have on my glasses from the last 2 years of abuse
      is from a dog that stepped on them while out boating. In my opinion,
      this is merely a cosmetic blemish as it does not seem to be
      detrimental to performance in any way.

      The best thing about the Ho'Okipa sunglasses is how well they
      protect my eyes and improve my vision under the harsh sun. As I
      mentioned previously, these glasses block out 100% of UVA, UVB, and
      UVC rays. When I bought my first pair, the dealer had a reflective
      block that demonstrated how the sunglasses cut through the glare to
      bring out vibrant colors and patterns that were invisible to the
      naked eye. Over the years, I have spent a lot of time with these
      glasses in hundreds of different situations and they have proved to
      me that they cut down an astounding amount of what would normally be
      blinding glare. The biggest place that I notice the difference is
      when I am on or around the water. The Ho'Okipas cut through the
      glare so I can see under the surface - which is particularly useful
      when I am fishing or when I need an unobstructed view of what is
      underneath the water whether that be searching for the fish,
      checking the depth of the water, locating hazards - pretty much
      anything.

      Not only are the Ho'Okipas extremely functional, but I personally
      think they are stylish. I'm not much for fashion, but I find
      personal appearance to be pretty important and I feel strapping and
      confident in how they look so I have no qualms about wearing them
      anywhere I go.

      I have found a flaw in their durability, however. On both of my
      pairs of Ho'Okipas, they have eventually developed a small diagonal
      crack where the nose bridge connects to the lens.The crack is
      covered by the frame itself, so it does not obstruct my view in any
      way and does not seem to be detrimental to performance but it could
      possibly effect durability. However, Maui Jim's customer experience
      is second to none in my opinion and they really turn a negative into
      a positive. After nearly 2 years, I sent a pair of these glasses
      back to them for this issue, and they sent me back a brand new pair.

      There is only one other small design issue that I'm not happy with,
      which is the overall negative buoyancy of the glasses. Unfortunately
      if the glasses get knocked off my face in the water they sink,
      albeit it rather slowly. This keeps me wearing a sunglasses leash
      when I'm out on the water in case they go for a swim either with or
      without me. I'm not too big a fan of those leashes, but it's a small
      price to pay for the overall performance of the Ho'Okipas.

      Final Thoughts

      The Maui Jim Ho'Okipa sunglasses are light years beyond any
      sunglasses I have used. Out of all the sunglasses I have worn over
      the years, I have never been happier nor more impressed with the
      quality and performance than I am with the Ho'Okipas. They have been
      faithful companions of my every day life for over 5 years now, and
      will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

      Never Stop Exploring,
      Greg McDonald

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2008
          Hello Greg,

          This is a good OR. I couldn't find anything to edit in the existing
          text. I do however have one EDIT to the form of the review. I can
          understand why this is missing, given the extent of use, but some more
          specificity on that subject would be helpful. In specific, temperature
          range and elevation range would be a helpful numerical addition. High,
          thin mountain air lets more UV through, and low temperatures can
          effect the plasticity of materials, so these two characteristics would
          have some relevance.

          If you have any mountain use, perhaps you could provide some detail on
          how they worked for that (yes, I know Florida is not known for
          towering peaks, so trhis may not be appropriate)! Some specifics of
          other situations would be helpful, too (on the water, for example,
          though I know you touch on this briefly)? The more example of how the
          sunglasses worked in different settings (mountains, woods, open
          country, water), the better a sense the reader has of knowing how they
          will work out for them.

          I could have let this pass "as is," but I know that you like to write
          a thorough review, and I do think this adds a dimension partly lacking
          from the OR at present.

          Upload to

          http://tinyurl.com/5kzube

          when ready.

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT Editor

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
            Hey Ted,

            Thanks so much for the edits. I agree that the OR was lacking
            something... and I appreciate your advice - it really got me thinking
            of how to pull it all together. I added the information you were
            looking for and I think I did a pretty good job. I went ahead and
            uploaded, but I urge you to please have another look just to double
            check. If you find anything I'll be happy to take care of it, but I
            reread and spell checked several times so it should be okay. Thanks
            again, I look forward to hearing from you!

            Greg M

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Eye%20Protection/Sun%
            20Glasses/Maui%20Jim%20Ho%20okipa%20Sunglasses/Owner%20Review%20by%
            20Greg%20McDonald/
            -- OR --
            http://tinyurl.com/5aycv7
          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
              Poifect!!!

              Thanks, Greg--the additions are pretty much what I was looking for.

              Best,

              Ted