OR - Smith Toaster Slider Sunglasses - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2008
      Here is another OR to add to the June call! You can view the html at
      either:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Smith%
      20Toaster%20Slider%20Sunglass%20-%20Brett%20Haydin/

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/3przc7

      Text version is below.

      SMITH TOASTER SLIDER SUNGLASSES

      BY BRETT HAYDIN

      OR

      June 24, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Brett Haydin

      EMAIL: bhaydinAThotmailDOTcom

      AGE: 35

      LOCATION: Denver, Colorado, USA

      GENDER: M

      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)

      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the Boy
      Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp leading
      backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now generally take short
      weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous terrain, although I have
      extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I take one or two longer
      trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18 kg). I prefer to
      be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight trips as well.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Smith Toaster Slider" IMAGE CAPTION = "Smith
      Toaster Slider">><B>Manufacturer:</B> Smith Optics

      <B>Year of Manufacture:</B> 2007

      <B>Manufacturer's Website:</B> <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE -
      "http://www.smithoptics.com/index.html" LINK TEXT = "www.smithoptics.com">>

      <B>MSRP:</B> US$ 119

      <B>Listed Weight:</B> N/A

      <B>Measured Weight:</B> 0.6 oz (17 g)

      <B>Frame Reviewed:</B> Smoke-Fade Platinum (available in several other frame
      colors)

      <B>Lenses Reviewed:</B> Platinum Mirror (also included with RC30, Clear
      Mirror, others available)

      <B>Warranty:</B> Lifetime, provided they were purchased from an authorized
      Dealer

      <UL><B>Manufacturer Claims (from website):</B>

      <LI>TR90 Grilamid frame

      <LI>TLT Carbonic lenses

      <LI>Small Fit

      <LI>Lifetime Warranty

      <LI>Interchangeable Lenses

      </UL>

      <B>Product Description:</B>

      The Smith Toaster Slider is a lightweight pair of sunglasses with
      interchangeable lenses. Based on the company's Slider Interchangeable Lens
      design, the frames use "distortion-free 9 base Carbonic lenses" which are
      supposed to provide "precise optical clarity and maximize coverage while
      minimizing peripheral exposure to sun, wind, and glare."

      The sunglasses come with a black padded case offering plenty of room for the
      sunglasses and extra lenses. The lenses themselves can be stored in a
      removable pocket that has individual pouches for 4 sets of lenses. This
      pocket is attached to the interior of the top of the case via hook and loop
      tabs.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "slider package" IMAGE CAPTION = "The
      complete package">>The frames are made of Grilamid, a flexible but sturdy
      material that is lightweight. The color of the frames fades from an opaque
      blue-gray color to almost a clear, somewhat smoky color at the bottom of the
      eyepiece. The glasses are approximately 1.375 in (3.49 cm) tall. The 9
      base shape refers to the curve of the frames, which wraps around my face.
      The manufacturer claims this feature eliminates visual distortion and any
      resulting eye strain.

      The arms of the frames are straight with rubber pads on the inward-facing
      ends that keep them in place. The arms are approximately 4.75 in (12 cm)
      long from the hinge to the end. In addition to the rubber pads on the arms,
      there are also two pads where the frames meet my nose.

      The lenses are crafted to fit Smith's patented Interchangeable lens system.
      The carbonic lenses are the most impact resistant lenses in the world,
      according to the manufacturer's website. There is even a short video of a
      small metallic ball smashing into some lenses with no apparent damage! The
      lenses have an anti-scratch layer to provide additional protection. All
      lenses provided by the manufacturer provide 100% UVA/B/C protection.

      FIELD USE

      I have used the Smith Toaster Sliders for over 9 months. They have
      accompanied me on numerous trips backpacking, snowshoeing, mountain biking
      and snowboarding as well as on my daily routines. They have been up to the
      top of Pikes Peak, elevation 14,110 ft (4301 m) on a particularly grueling
      13 mi (21 km) snowshoe hike. They have accompanied me in temperatures
      ranging from 15 - 85 F (-9 - 29 C). The conditions have been anywhere from
      rain, sunshine, overcast and cloudy as well as snowing. While snowboarding,
      I was able to use them in daylight as well as nighttime, thanks to the clear
      lenses provided.

      GENERAL IMPRESSIONS

      I have to admit, I am very pleased with the performance of these sunglasses.
      I wear them just about everywhere I go and I like how they feel on my head.
      I generally prefer sunglasses that are a smaller fit, which these are. I
      find that they hug my face well as they wrap around, reducing any glare from
      the side as I look around. The rubber pads keep them in place and I have
      never had them fall off my head. However, I should point out that when I
      used them snowboarding, I also added aftermarket retaining straps to ensure
      I protected my investment. Even when I am sweating, these sunglasses stay
      glued to my face!

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Pikes Peak">>I found the Interchangeable
      lenses to be easy to use after a few tries at switching them out. They are
      removed by grasping the lens between my thumb and forefinger and gently
      rotating the lens from the nose upward. Sliding the lens back into place is
      also easily accomplished. However, I still have to look twice to make sure
      I have the left and right on the correct side. One slight disadvantage of
      replacing the lens is the fingerprints left on the lens, but I have had no
      problems cleaning them off with a cleaning cloth. I had to obtain one on my
      own as the pair I bought did not come with one, although I am not sure if
      that was an error.

      The lenses that I most often wear are the Platinum Mirror color, which
      provides great protection from the sun. Even during cloudy conditions, I
      can still see clearly and without any distortions. I have noticed that
      there are some scratches and slight damage at the top of the lens, which I
      believe is caused from my tendency to leave them out. The top of the lens
      is unprotected since that is where they are inserted into the frame. I
      have not used any additional cleaners other than a cleaning cloth, and
      occasionally my t-shirt in an pinch. One nuisance I have noticed is that
      there is a tendency to have a bright glare through the bottom of the frames
      where the color fades to clear. This part of the frame has reflected light,
      more noticeably in snow conditions under bright sunlight.

      In the winter, I only noticed fogging of the lens on one instance. I did
      adjust the frames to be a little further away from my face, which allowed
      more air flow, and I was able to still receive adequate sun protection as
      well as mitigate the fogging. I appreciated how the curvature of the frames
      helped to protect my eyes from wind as well while snowboarding as well as
      mountain biking.

      SUMMARY

      I really do like these sunglasses. If I could go back in time, I would
      probably have chosen a different frame color based on the glare I get in
      winter conditions. The manufacturer's website shows 8 different frames to
      choose from, so there are plenty to choose. The Slider line of frames has
      polarized lenses available from the manufacturer. Some models also come
      standard with polarized lenses. Not only are the Smith Toaster Sliders
      functional, but they are stylish as well!

      THINGS I LIKE

      <UL>

      <LI>Great ultraviolet light protection, even from the sides.

      <LI>They stay put even during heavy exercise.

      <LI>Interchangeable lenses that are easy to switch out.

      </UL>

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      <UL>

      <LI>I notice a glare under extreme bright conditions, more notably in the
      winter.

      <LI>Lack of protection on the top-side of lenses has caused some minor
      damage.

      </UL>

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2008

        reviews before submission.

        Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at (mentor (at)
        backpackgeartest.org).

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • S
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2008
          Hi Brett,

          Thanks for your great OR!

          I have a couple of comments for you below. When you're ready, please upload the OR
          here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Eye%20Protection/Sun%20Glasses/Smith%20To
          aster%20Slider%20Sunglasses/

          or

          http://tinyurl.com/3raeoe

          > eyepiece. The glasses are approximately 1.375 in (3.49 cm) tall. The 9
          Comment: Your measurements are pretty exact for "approximately", it seems to me!

          > ranging from 15 - 85 F (-9 - 29 C). The conditions have been anywhere from
          Comment/Edit: I think temperature ranges look better with the word "to" since the
          negative and dash look pretty similar.

          Sheila
          BGT OR Editor
        • Brett Haydin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
            Sheila.

            Thanks for the edits. Changes incorporated and files uploaded. Report
            deleted from test folder.

            Regards,

            Brett

            _____

            I have a couple of comments for you below. When you're ready, please upload
            the OR
            here:

            http://www.backpack
            <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Eye%20Protection/Sun%20Glasses/Smit
            h%20To> geartest.org/reviews/Eye%20Protection/Sun%20Glasses/Smith%20To

            http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/3raeoe> com/3raeoe