Repost: Owner Review-MSR Heat Exchanger

  • suzi_q_jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008
      Sheila,
      I made the edits. Regarding this comment
      ">MSRP: US$39.95
      EDIT: I couldn't find this product on the MSR website. If the MSRP really is $39.95, then
      leave it in. If this is a retail price, cut it."
      They have it hidden under cookware:expedition:heat exchanger. I admit, it is pretty tricky
      to find on their site and I'd post the actual link, but the guidelines don't allow for that.

      A question... As much as I've used this, I can't find any pics of it from our trips. Can I add
      a pic of it being used on the trail later this summer?

      Tiny URL: http://tiny.cc/xackT

      Long URL:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/OR%20MSR%20Heat%20Exchanger/

      MSR Heat Exchanger
      Owner Review June 20, 2008

      Name: Suzi Gibson
      Age: 30
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'6" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (74.8 kg)
      Email address: suzi_q_jones at yahoo dot com
      City, State, Country: Anderson, South Carolina, USA

      Backpacking Background: I've gone on many family camping trips to various places along
      the east coast of the US since I was a child. The backpacking bug was always there,
      whispering in my ear until finally in my early twenties it bit me! I've since done several
      backpacking trips in Florida, Washington, Virginia, and North Carolina. I typically backpack
      with around 30 lb (13.6 kg) of essential gear (sleeping bag and mat, tent, stove, and
      clothes), food and water and usually go for a 2 to 3 days at a time. My current tent and
      bag comprise almost half of the pack weight.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      Listed weight: 6 oz (170.0 g)
      Weight as Delivered: 6 oz (170.0 g)
      Measurements: Minimum Diameter: 6.75" (17.2 cm), Maximum Diameter: 8" (20.3cm),
      Height: 2.75" (7 cm)
      MSRP: US$39.95

      Product description:
      Stove pot heat exchangers are the equivalent of the insulating found
      around thermoses. They are designed to trap heat close to the vessel to not only keep the
      contents warm, but in the case of cooking, increase fuel efficiency by decreasing the
      amount of heat and energy lost during stove operation. The MSR heat exchanger (Heat
      Exchanger) is made from gold tinted, lightweight metal (possibly aluminum) that has been
      given a corrugated shaping. The circular shape is held true by a metal bracing that
      encircles it. There are eyes every 6 in (15.2 cm) that serve to hold the brace onto the
      corrugated metal. On one side of the frame, there is a latch that can attach to one of two
      eyes on the opposing end of the heat exchanger depending on what size pot is being
      used. The thumb wheel then secures the heat exchanger to the pot being used. The
      manufacturer claims the product will fit all MSR 1.5 l and 2 l pots (up to 7 in or 17.8 cm
      diameter) with the exception of the 1.5 l Titan pot. All together, the entire unit is a mere 6
      oz (170 g). MSR also claims that the corrugated design of the Heat Exchanger increases
      stove efficiency by up to 25 % by channeling the heat from the stove up the sides of the
      pot.

      Field information:
      I used the Heat Exchanger on over two dozen backpacking and car camping trips starting
      with its purchase in 2003. At least 8 backpacking trips were taken to the Blackwater State
      Forest in Holt, Florida, USA. Temperatures ranged from 65 F (18 C) to 90 F (32 C) plus
      humidity (it's Florida after all). It was also used for a weeklong car camping trip starting in
      Friday Harbor, Washington, USA, and then through Olympic National Park (Washington
      State, USA) in June 2003 where temperatures experienced ranged from 50 F (10 C) to 75 F
      (24 C). Wind conditions ranged from calm to breezy (<10 mph or 16 km/h).

      corrugated design, the heat exchanger is claimed to increase heating efficiency by 25%.
      While I didn't conduct a quantitative assessment on its performance during my field
      excursions, I did seem to note a decrease in heating times when the Heat Exchanger was
      used. I also noted a more even heating in my cooking pots when it was used. All together,
      this meant less fuel used during my trips, which equated to less fuel being hiked in.

      The design and construction of the Heat Exchanger are both functional and lightweight.
      Securing the heat exchanger to the pot is as simple as sliding the pot into the heat
      exchanger and fastening the latch. The latch and thumb wheel assembly secured to my
      pots very well. I did find it tricky to pull my pots off the stove with the Heat Exchanger in
      place. The exposed space left to effectively grab the pot with the pot grabber was limited
      to the latching area and resulted in a less stable grab compared to cooking without the
      Heat Exchanger. However, having my meal heated up quicker and more evenly has been
      well worth the trickiness. The Heat Exchanger can be nested within the MSR cook pots,
      however, due to the rigidity in the bracing it doesn't pack up efficiently and takes up
      precious space that could be otherwise used for other cooking gear. The other drawback
      is that the design can make it tricky to clean in the field when food gets spilled on it. I
      typically addressed this by giving it extra soaking time to loosen the food. On a couple
      overnight trips I would stow it and give it a thorough cleaning upon arriving home. Overall,
      however, this device is a great addition to the camp kitchen!

      Pros:
      • Lightweight
      • Sturdy
      • Stows into MSR cookpots
      • Heats quicker and more even than pots alone

      Cons:
      • Can be tricky to pull pots off the stove with the pot grabber
      • Takes up a bit of space as the brace prevents it from folding up more
      • Can be difficult to clean in the field
    • S
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2008
        Hi Suzi,

        You can either add a photo from the manufacturer's website (with a note that that's where
        it came from) or you can add your own photo. It's nice to have ones from out backpacking,
        but it's fine to just take photos at home, too. Lets see the report here again one more time
        with the photo and we'll get you off testing soon. Please repost to this list with the HTML
        and text again.

        Sheila
        BGT OR Editor

        > with around 30 lb (13.6 kg) of essential gear (sleeping bag and mat, tent, stove, and
        > clothes), food and water and usually go for a 2 to 3 days at a time.
        EDIT: for 2 to 3 days (cut the extra a)

        > Product description:
        > Stove pot heat exchangers are the equivalent of the insulating found
        > around thermoses.
        EDIT: insulation, not insulating
        Edit: This might be more descriptive if you say that they're "a cooking pot's equivalent of
        the insulation found..." (or something else, however you can best describe it.)
        EDIT: Thermoses (capital).

        > The MSR heat exchanger (Heat
        > Exchanger)
        EDIT: Use just the capitals here since that's the name of it. "The MSR Heat Exchanger"

        > manufacturer claims the product will fit all MSR 1.5 l and 2 l pots (up to 7 in or 17.8 cm
        Edit: I much prefer a capital L for liter. Change this throughout the report.

        > stove efficiency by up to 25 %
        EDIT: no space between 25%
      • suzi_q_jones
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6 8:16 AM
          Hi Sheila,
          Sorry for the delay. I had to leave town for a bit due to a death in the family and forgot to
          bring my laptop charger. I wasn't able to get a picture of the stove 'in action' prior to
          leaving. Here's the latest version.
          Suzi

          Long URL: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Repost%20OR%20-
          %20%20MSR%20Heat%20Exchanger%20S%20Gibson/

          Tiny URL: http://tiny.cc/UW4Oq

          MSR Heat Exchanger

          Owner Review July 6, 2008

          Name: Suzi Gibson
          Age: 30
          Gender: Female
          Height: 5'6" (1.7 m)
          Weight: 165 lb (74.8 kg)
          Email address: suzi_q_jones at yahoo dot com
          City, State, Country: Anderson, South Carolina, USA

          Backpacking Background: I've gone on many family camping trips to various places along
          the east coast of the US since I was a child. The backpacking bug was always there,
          whispering in my ear until finally in my early twenties it bit me! I've since done several
          backpacking trips in Florida, Washington, Virginia, and North Carolina. I typically backpack
          with around 30 lb (13.6 kg) of essential gear (sleeping bag and mat, tent, stove, and
          clothes), food and water and usually go for a 2 to 3 days. My current tent and bag
          comprise almost half of the pack weight.

          Product Information

          Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
          Year of Manufacture: 2003
          Listed weight: 6 oz (170.0 g)
          Weight as Delivered: 6 oz (170.0 g)
          Measurements: Minimum Diameter: 6.75" (17.2 cm), Maximum Diameter: 8" (20.3cm),
          Height: 2.75" (7 cm)
          MSRP: US$39.95

          Photo Courtesy of MSR

          Product Description:

          Stove pot heat exchangers are a cooking pot's equivalent to the insulation found around
[...]

          Summary

          The Heat Exchanger has been a great addition to my backpacking kitchen. With its

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6 10:57 AM
            Hi Suzi,

            This OR looks great. It's very well written. I have just a couple remaining edits for you
            down below. When you've made your changes, please upload the OR here:

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/MSR%2
            0Heat%20Exchanger/

            or

            http://tinyurl.com/6yyg37

            Since this was your second OR, you're now ready to start applying for tests. Make sure
            your tester agreement was sent in, then head over to the backpackgeartestERS Yahoo
            group and dig through the last few days' emails for test calls. There are I think 4 open test
            calls right now.

            Sheila
            BGT OR Editor

            > clothes), food and water and usually go for a 2 to 3 days. My current tent and bag
            EDIT: "for 2 to 3 days" or "for a 2 to 3 day trip".

            > Measurements: Minimum Diameter: 6.75" (17.2 cm), Maximum Diameter: 8" (20.3cm),
            > Height: 2.75" (7 cm)
            EDIT: Are these listed measurements that you got from the manufacturer? If so, please
            say, "Listed Measurements". You need to have both listed dimensions and your measured
            dimensions. If none are listed, write "N/A".
          • suzi_q_jones
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11 6:17 PM
              Hi Sheila,
              I made the corrections and uploaded the OR to the link listed. Thanks again for the edits:)
              I'll send in my form tomorrow. Question though, do I need to just send it in before
              applying for tests or do I need to wait for confirmation that it was received before
              applying? The address listed on it is just 45min drive from me, so I can't imagine it'd take
              more than 1-2 days to get there... Anyway, thanks again :)
              Suzi

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11 6:40 PM
                Hi Suzi,

                No need to wait for confirmation. When you apply and are selected for a test, the moderators
                will check that your tester form was sent in.

                Sheila